• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm all set to go off exploring now, resource-wise, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I made a map but they don't seem to work the same as before and are of little use for traveling around. They only imprint the small, current area you first use it in.

If I just set out, I'm almost guaranteed to get hopelessly lost with pretty much zero way to figure out how to get back if necessary. Only thing I can think of is to lay down little markers every 20 blocks or so to leave a trail, but I don't want to ugly up the area, either.

Any suggestions?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm all set to go off exploring now, resource-wise, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I made a map but they don't seem to work the same as before and are of little use for traveling around. They only imprint the small, current area you first use it in.

If I just set out, I'm almost guaranteed to get hopelessly lost with pretty much zero way to figure out how to get back if necessary. Only thing I can think of is to lay down little markers every 20 blocks or so to leave a trail, but I don't want to ugly up the area, either.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't the server have /sethome and /home warps? If not, you could always make a note of the coordinates and use F3 to check you're on the right heading. It can be easy to miss on the way back, especially while spawn is still small.

Any suggestions?

if you put paper all the way around the map in the crafting table it makes a zoomed out map. you can do this a few times to get a really good sized map.

Edit: it seems you already have used maps? i think they still work this way, unless im mistaken.

UF_C

Banned
Built a cozy little home inside the gates of spawn. Started strip mining some on levels 9-12...no diamonds yet. Will hop on tonight to make an ender chest, then it's off someplace away from spawn to make my fortune. Come Friday I may open up my spawn house to weary travelers if they need a little R&R, ores, and the whatnot., depends on how things go tonight.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the new GAFland! I've been wanting to make a lovely acacia house for a while now.

Still can't get used to laggy Creepers OHKOing me out of nowhere, so I bring tons of beds with me now.

belushy

Banned
There's still some room in the SE corner of the spawn zone for someone, I believe.

How often do the maps in spawn update?

You mean the big map near the center? It updates when someone takes out the corresponding map from the chest and walks around a bit.

UF_C

Banned
Is anyone having problems with setting their spawn point? I've got the bed all set and tried sleeping in it but I'm still spawning back at the original spot.

masud

Banned
Anyone find a mob spawner relatively close to spawn?

Is anyone having problems with setting their spawn point? I've got the bed all set and tried sleeping in it but I'm still spawning back at the original spot.

Beds have never worked, you always resurrect at spawn. Type /sethome where your house is and then /home to go there.

Sarcasm

Looks like my connection dislikes the server =(

Hopefully when I move my MS/bandwidth is more stable. Downloads and uploads are uber but when it comes to online gaming...D/U doesn't do squat lol

belushy

Banned
So, here is my Gafland Day 1 picture. I might do weekly pictures of my bases that are not right at spawn. Pretty good start. :)

jI9uMuO.png

Stonebrick monstrosity is a farm tower. P'tates, Carrots, Wheat, Pumpkins, and Melons.

Oh, and this isn't going to be here forever. My first project is a giant Mindcrack-like Message board, and it is going to be placed in this location. Right now I'm just building up resources.

ShadiWulf

donated :) ive enjoyed the server in the past and with all the time I spent on it this evening i'd feel guilty not donating something.

after a rough start of losing all my items and walking around forever in gafland I found some snowy extreme hills that I like, and a bit of roofed forest next to them. I built some temporary bridges and stone walls to hopefully try and mark them off. I got some cool ideas in my head of linking some of the mountains with bridges. Don't mind having other people living near me, just don't want to be crowded in is all. Want to have room for expansion which is why I wanted to build out in the middle of nowhere. I hope that doesn't sound greedy. I don't feel like it is, not literally claiming a whole biome for myself, just a chunk of one or so. This snowy extreme hills biome seems pretty big.

Ark

Thanks a lot for the donations guys; NeoCraft/GAFLand is going to be up for a long time :)

Does anyone know what program is easiest to make maps in MInecraft? I want to get a good map of the seed but the last time I used a map program it was still Alpha.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed the first day! Made a tiny spot, died, farmed, died, etc. :)

Fuchsdh

So, here is my Gafland Day 1 picture. I might do weekly pictures of my bases that are not right at spawn. Pretty good start. :)

Stonebrick monstrosity is a farm tower. P'tates, Carrots, Wheat, Pumpkins, and Melons.

Oh, and this isn't going to be here forever. My first project is a giant Mindcrack-like Message board, and it is going to be placed in this location. Right now I'm just building up resources.

How'd you get that high angle on your base in Survival? Are there cliffs overlooking your island or something?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Good first day on the new server! Spawn area is looking good, I think most of the plots pre-laid out by Minsc and Crispy are taken already. We were talking about it last night that we should expand outside the ring, like make roads leading out from all of the gates and then future houses can be build along those roads, kind of like how a real village would expand.

So far everything is working as good as I had hoped. There are still some admin commands that aren't working but those are bukkit issues and minor in nature, all of the important stuff seems to be functional. Server lag though was harsh yesterday, much worse then it should be for a brand new map. I also noticed that mobs aren't de-spawning like they should from unoccupied chunks, the same problem we had on the previous GAFland to some degree. I'm looking into it though, and I'm pretty sure our lag is being caused by those mobs staying in memory when they shouldn't be. Hopefully I can find a solution.

I built a little house at spawn, got to claim the area around my future ravine build, captured a horse for myself (still no saddles tho), good first day!

Fuchsdh

Good first day on the new server! Spawn area is looking good, I think most of the plots pre-laid out by Minsc and Crispy are taken already. We were talking about it last night that we should expand outside the ring, like make roads leading out from all of the gates and then future houses can be build along those roads, kind of like how a real village would expand.

So far everything is working as good as I had hoped. There are still some admin commands that aren't working but those are bukkit issues and minor in nature, all of the important stuff seems to be functional. Server lag though was harsh yesterday, much worse then it should be for a brand new map. I also noticed that mobs aren't de-spawning like they should from unoccupied chunks, the same problem we had on the previous GAFland to some degree. I'm looking into it though, and I'm pretty sure our lag is being caused by those mobs staying in memory when they shouldn't be. Hopefully I can find a solution.

I built a little house at spawn, got to claim the area around my future ravine build, captured a horse for myself (still no saddles tho), good first day!

I'm building out the roads from the N and NW corners presently (into the desert, although people might prefer living due east in the strip of green.)

Mengy

Ok, after some research I may have found the reason for our server lag. I made a change to a monster spawning parameter this morning, let me know if it improves things or not (I'm at work so I won't be able to hop in game until tonight). My apologies to anyone who was on this morning when I reset the server, that was kind of my bad, lol. But the new change is now in effect so anyone who plays today please report back and let me know if the lag is improved.

Ark

I'll see if I can monkey-wrench dynmap into working on the new GAFLand once I get home in an hour. AFAIK there is no 1.7 version, but I haven't really checked.

I really need a map before I can start the project I'd like (and I promise this one is far less ambitious).

Mengy

Well, after some more research I think I may know why we are getting lag on the server.

I've made some more changes to some config parameters but I won't reset until I get home so I can log in to warn players about a server reset. Ark or CC, if either of you get on today then do a quick server reset and watch to see if the lag improves or not. I'm particularly interested in whether or not we still experience the "mobs burning during the day while exploring" bug we've had for a long time, I think I may have finally fixed it and I also think our lag may be due to the same issue.

I'm hoping I fixed it finally.

Mirk

Well, after some more research I think I may know why we are getting lag on the server.

I've made some more changes to some config parameters but I won't reset until I get home so I can log in to warn players about a server reset. Ark or CC, if either of you get on today then do a quick server reset and watch to see if the lag improves or not. I'm particularly interested in whether or not we still experience the "mobs burning during the day while exploring" bug we've had for a long time, I think I may have finally fixed it and I also think our lag may be due to the same issue.

I'm hoping I fixed it finally.

I get a slight lag/hang when ever the anounncer goes off. I was think there might be something with that. On a side note I hope your fix doesn't nerf the spawn rate. Last night the nether was intense. Had 8ish ghast all firing on me lol.

Mengy

On a side note I hope your fix doesn't nerf the spawn rate. Last night the nether was intense. Had 8ish ghast all firing on me lol.

Ideally we should be seeing normal spawn rates on mobs around players but not finding burning skeletons and zombies out in the middle of nowhere during high noon. What we are experiencing (and what is most likely causing our horrible lag) is mobs spawning out in unloaded chunks. The server is using CPU cycles to spawn mobs in greater ranges around players than it should. The real problem is that these mobs aren't de-spawning when they should, and thus we see mobs burning during the middle of the day while running out away from other players.

I think I've zeroed in on what's causing this phenomenon for us, now I just need to experiment with the parameters until we find a good balance. In a nutshell, Minecraft has a setting for servers called VIEW_DISTANCE that tells the server the range of chunk data to send to player's clients. It's pretty much just a radius around each player. The default setting is 10, but reducing this radius can greatly lessen server CPU load and decrease lag. However, there has been a bug with Minecraft servers since 1.6 (from what I can tell) in that if this range is less than 9, then server side the game only sends chunk data for the reduced range, BUT the players end actually still sends mob data for a fixed minimum range of 8 (128 blocks). The desync occurs because the server then essentially stores the far out mob data but never does anything with them. So when the player leaves the area, the outlying mobs are never despawned (because the server is only looking at the reduced radius).

On Neocraft it was set to 7, I'm guessing Ark set it down to 7 some time ago to try and lessen lag by reducing CPU load (like the setting is supposed to work) but in reality we ended up spawning more mobs at greater ranges than we should have and never unloading them until a player stumbles into an unloaded chunk.

Essentially, we need a VIEW_DISTANCE of 9 or greater in order to stop the unloaded chunk monster problem. I've set it to 9 for now. I have a hunch I will also have to lower the spawn rate as well, simply because spawning should now work like it's supposed to, and Ark greatly increased spawn rates some time ago back when we first started the multiverse and were experiencing like no mobs spawning at all. In reality they WERE spawning but at ranges far away from the players in unloaded chunks. I'll be able to tell tonight when I hop on and see how the lag is after a server restart.

-Minsc-

That perfectly explains why my gold farm on Neocraft stopped working. The bug starting in 1.6 does coincide with the start of our problems.

Looks like the whole of Multiplay has gone tits up. I can't even get to the admin page to reboot the server. So nowt we can do but wait for mulitplay to pull their finger out.

Fuchsdh

I've been getting massive lag on the server for some reason--tab shows I have a full connection, I've edited my config files and Java prefs in OSX to make 4GB available (only around 150ish MB is ever shown as allocated), dropped graphics and I'm still rubber-banding everywhere, unable to move. If I can move, I can't actually interact with anything--takes three or four minutes to register I tried opening a chest. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Was fine at first yesterday, been getting steadily worse since...

MrBig

Server messages (eg player joining or the random announcements) seem to constantly be causing stalls every time they're shown. Whatever I'm doing in the second or two around that time gets reverted if I was mining/building and every time I've been in a fight during one I end up dead. I've been enjoying the server otherwise but this makes it near to unplayable for me. It's not fun to die and lose lots of things that are important to me because of technical glitches.

UF_C

Banned
I've been getting massive lag on the server for some reason--tab shows I have a full connection, I've edited my config files and Java prefs in OSX to make 4GB available (only around 150ish MB is ever shown as allocated), dropped graphics and I'm still rubber-banding everywhere, unable to move. If I can move, I can't actually interact with anything--takes three or four minutes to register I tried opening a chest. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Was fine at first yesterday, been getting steadily worse since...

Same issues for me. Can't get any interactions with crafting tables, mobs, or chests to work as they should.

woolley

I put about 7 stacks of bookshelves at spawn in the map area feel free to move it if there is a better place for it or feel it uglies up the place.

I also build a skelly grinder on the mushroom island, I'll try to make it easier to find tomorrow, feel free to use it and take anything from the chests at the grinder.

I'm wondering about the nether portals. The one in spawn still connects to mine and that's fine by me but it could lead to some confusion. I could try and fix it by trying to hook the one in spawn to its own portal but it could also end up messing up someone else's portal so I didn't want to do anything without getting the go ahead and unless yous wanted to use it as a quick way to travel to the mushroom island.

DukeSucks

can I please be added to the whitelist? First time playing minecraft on PC, so I'll make sure my basic hut won't get in the way of any of you, but looking forward to learning on GAFland :)

minecraft name is: _LOLduke_

Top Bottom