• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Crispy75

I would suggest giving it a block or two of elevation for stairs as well so it looks a bit set off from the ground.

Edit: so quartz walls and stone floors?

Yep, def set off the ground on a pedestal (you can see it on the right of the sections). It'll be required to get decent clearance over the low level platforms as well.

Materials will require experimentation. I think smooth stone exterior, with stone brick/slab detailing. quartz/wood/stone slab interior. tbc.

I've got chests full of sandstone, but I don't think it would go anywhere :p

Fuchsdh

Yep, def set off the ground on a pedestal (you can see it on the right of the sections). It'll be required to get decent clearance over the low level platforms as well.

Materials will require experimentation. I think smooth stone exterior, with stone brick/slab detailing. quartz/wood/stone slab interior. tbc.

I've got chests full of sandstone, but I don't think it would go anywhere :p
I'm thinking practically, so smooth stone sounds good. Wonder if an obsidian and quartz checkerboard pattern would look too barbershoppish :p could also do some cool stain glass patterns, we'll hafta see. Hopefully I won't have the same lag issues this weekend, otherwise I will have to leave it all to you.

Crispy75

I'm thinking practically, so smooth stone sounds good. Wonder if an obsidian and quartz checkerboard pattern would look too barbershoppish :p could also do some cool stain glass patterns, we'll hafta see. Hopefully I won't have the same lag issues this weekend, otherwise I will have to leave it all to you.

How do you think the wings should end? I've put dashed lines in to indicate potential towers, but can't quite draw something that looks right...

Wired

Maybe we should go about expanding the town border somewhat, ideally everyone should have at least a little townhouse at spawn. I have no idea if that's just me though. But if we are ever going to expand it's probably better to do that before putting down the station in what would end up being the center of town? We'll i dunno :p

Crispy75

Maybe we should go about expanding the town border somewhat, ideally everyone should have at least a little townhouse at spawn. I have no idea if that's just me though. But if we are ever going to expand it's probably better to do that before putting down the station in what would end up being the center of town? We'll i dunno :p

The center of town is the Right and Proper place for a train station! :-D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah. I like the idea of us building roads going out in all directions from the gates and people building new houses along those roads, maybe even making an outer ring too. I think that would look slick as hell.

I'm not sure but I think Multiplay just hiccuped. They entire site seems to be down.

Fuchsdh

How do you think the wings should end? I've put dashed lines in to indicate potential towers, but can't quite draw something that looks right...

Might just be nice to cap them with some stained glass arches. Towers seems off for a train station.

EDIT: Okay I guess I'm screwed as far as contributing further? Almost all of yesterday was FUBAR and now the trend seems to have continued with today.

I modified my profile to theoretically use 4GB but it's still only using like 5-6% at the most, I'm not sure if that's my problem. I can run around fine, mine, do whatever, but nothing drops, my progress disappears and I can't open any chests without multi-minute lag. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my settings. My internet is 28ping, 15up and 5down, so it shouldn't be that...

9wmkSSg.png

Anyone have any clue why it's unplayable?

ShadiWulf

Might just be nice to cap them with some stained glass arches. Towers seems off for a train station.

EDIT: Okay I guess I'm screwed as far as contributing further? Almost all of yesterday was FUBAR and now the trend seems to have continued with today.

I modified my profile to theoretically use 4GB but it's still only using like 5-6% at the most, I'm not sure if that's my problem. I can run around fine, mine, do whatever, but nothing drops, my progress disappears and I can't open any chests without multi-minute lag. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my settings. My internet is 28ping, 15up and 5down, so it shouldn't be that...

9wmkSSg.png

Anyone have any clue why it's unplayable?

There was lots of latency earlier today when I was playing. I was fine yesterday for the most part though. Charlie said on the game that the place that hosts the servers put up a message saying their whole system crashed, so it might be a server related issues that is out of Ark's hands at the moment.

Fuchsdh

There was lots of latency earlier today when I was playing. I was fine yesterday for the most part though. Charlie said on the game that the place that hosts the servers put up a message saying their whole system crashed, so it might be a server related issues that is out of Ark's hands at the moment.

It also mighta' been wired's damn chicken orgy :p

Xun

Gafland Central Proposal:

WmsONLn.png

This is similar in scale to real-world grand stations like St. Pancras or Washington Union.
The central hall would be grand and vaulted, with lower wings and flanking towers. The N/S tracks would pass underneath the station and are accessed via steps down from the sides of the main train shed.
Looks great man, I approve!

Finally glad we'll get a proper train station going this time around.

ShadiWulf

Hey now wait a minute, all i did was build a small farm. How could I know 340 chickens would mess things up?! A man gotta eat you know.

Don't know if you watch MC youtubers, but Generikb did something similar once and it caused server issues. He found a way to limit the number of chickens it made, though. Not sure what exactly he did. I'm horrible with red stone.

edit: here is the video of him fixing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72P1gAqrJRs

-Minsc-

Spawn already claims the position of centre. ;)

If we are going to work on an outer ring we really should get on it. :)

UF_C

Banned
Looks great man, I approve!

Finally glad we'll get a proper train station going this time around.

That looks awesome. Let me know how I can help. I'm not much of a builder (yet!) but I can clear, gather, and donate with the best of them.

-Minsc-

If we're going to do an outer ring, how big should we go? Here's a rough idea of what we'd need to do to enclose existing builds.

GaflandSpawnOuterRing.png

One thing I was wondering is do we really need an outer ring? The terrain outside the main wall isn't flat so it will be harder to build a wall as I did for spawn. Maybe all we need to do is extend out the roads and let people build off them.

Wired

If we're going to do an outer ring, how big should we go? Here's a rough idea of what we'd need to do to enclose existing builds.

GaflandSpawnOuterRing.png

One thing I was wondering is do we really need an outer ring? The terrain outside the main wall isn't flat so it will be harder to build a wall as I did for spawn. Maybe all we need to do is extend out the roads and let people build off them.

Maybe that's a bit big, I dunno. As for building a wall at all, personally I think it'd look nice. We could make it into a "real" wall in defense of the zombie hordes :p

-Minsc-

Maybe that's a bit big, I dunno. As for building a wall at all, personally I think it'd look nice. We could make it into a "real" wall in defense of the zombie hordes :p

Instead of doing a circle, perhaps we could loosely follow the border of the plains biome?

Fuchsdh

I'm all in favor of building a giant wall. Will be the next project after the train station for me, my house is basically done besides needing a bit of glass (stop by and head upstairs for a nice view from spawn) and I'm going to leave tidying up my underground for when I really have nothing to do.

<ocd>And build the roads out of gravel, dammit, so they match!</ocd>

Can someone actually mark out the wall dimensions with cobble or something?

Instead of doing a circle, perhaps we could loosely follow the border of the plains biome?

That might be easier to avoid figuring out the exact shape, but it won't look as nice from the air :)

EDIT: Server/Craft down again?

Sarcasm

Hey guys..how do I fix the virtual server can not be created?

I have done re-installs and such. My wife's PC keeps doing this.

Ranger X

You guys are crazy. I logged in just for a happy new year yesterday and seeing how fast some of you evolve and already have farms and good looking house done already is daunting. Anyhow, might comeback soon, I dunno.

masud

Banned
I don't think we should do a giant wall, just light the shit out of the surrounding areas. We could even take down the inner wall then.

Man. I was looking forward to begin building my tower of epicness. Guess this extra time will give me a chance to plan it out more.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Right now I can't access the server. :)

Edit:

The server a-splode.

Yep, it's not a problem with GAFland though, Multiplay posted this:

We have taken down lon016 to address some network issues with the machine, this has brought all servers on the machine offline, we hope to have this resolved as soon as possible.

That's the server array that we are on, hopefully it's fixed soon.

Server is working again. Huzzah!

Zombie spawner located. Entrance is at -334, 79, -275. Actual location of the spawner itself is -400, 13, -268

So whoever is a master of making xp farms, go for it. It's all yours. I've never built one myself, so it would be best to leave it in the hands of a professional.

Crispy75

That looks awesome. Let me know how I can help. I'm not much of a builder (yet!) but I can clear, gather, and donate with the best of them.

Well, I've marked out the foundations with sand and gravel, and made a start on building up some of the columns. If you visit the site, it should be pretty obvious what goes where. Bring smooth stone and quartz!

As for an outer ring, I think a circle would be too much of a ballache, especially if it had to try and follow the terrain. How about octagon(s) instead?

TSYy1QS.png

Much easier to build up to the edge of straight-bordered plots.

I'll take no further part in that though, the station's 1 project enough for now!

Sarcasm

Server is working again. Huzzah!

Zombie spawner located. Entrance is at -334, 79, -275. Actual location of the spawner itself is -400, 13, -268

So whoever is a master of making xp farms, go for it. It's all yours. I've never built one myself, so it would be best to leave it in the hands of a professional.

If the spawner is disabled by light I can do it.

-Minsc-

Well, I've marked out the foundations with sand and gravel, and made a start on building up some of the columns. If you visit the site, it should be pretty obvious what goes where. Bring smooth stone and quartz!

As for an outer ring, I think a circle would be too much of a ballache, especially if it had to try and follow the terrain. How about octagon(s) instead?

TSYy1QS.png

Much easier to build up to the edge of straight-bordered plots.

I'll take no further part in that though, the station's 1 project enough for now!

True.

How exactly are the rail lines going? Will they be suspended up in the air like NeoCraft or roughly ground level?

Crispy75

True.

How exactly are the rail lines going? Will they be suspended up in the air like NeoCraft or roughly ground level?

The Eastbound tracks are elevated, as the existing one already is. The N/S tracks are underneath, but there's nothing stopping them dropping into tunnel or going up onto bridges.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the size of the outer ring (circle or octagon, don't mind) - nice that it includes that section of river too.

Anyone got cords to the Skelly spawner? And who has the portal that links to the mushroom biome?

-Minsc-

I like the size of the outer ring (circle or octagon, don't mind) - nice that it includes that section of river too.

Anyone got cords to the Skelly spawner? And who has the portal that links to the mushroom biome?
Head through the spawn portal and follow the signs to the mushroom portal. When in the mushroom biome, head west from the portal and follow the cobble bread crumbs I left to the grinder.

Ark

I just wanted to apologise for all the server issues we've had over the last 24 hours. As already pointed out Multiplay had a number of issues last night; usually the server is absolutely fine (heck I wouldn't have kept using Multiplay since May 2011 if it wasn't reliable) and issues like these are few and far between.

Sarcasm

That lag monster art my diamond pick lol!

I will get to work on the zombie spanner, hopefully I have enough Redstone after that auto fish farm I made.

Okay, havent played on the server in a long time, which version is it on?

Second, whats the name of that programa that you can use to have multiple versions of minecraft working at the same time again?

Thanks for the help. :)

EDIT: REMEBERED THE PROGRAM - magic launcher. :p

Wired

Ok, I don't know what's going on here but whenever I try to use a resource pack my clouds gets all messed up and it's driving me nuts. Looks like some sort of graphics error I dunno

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
you ever have a moment when you realized you've been doing something the hard way for no reason when there was an obvious easier solution?

i just had the moment.

spent so much time breeding cows for my last villager trading setup so i could make books, meanwhile i could just trade for a bookcase and break that. -__________________-

Sarcasm

Ok, I don't know what's going on here but whenever I try to use a resource pack my clouds gets all messed up and it's driving me nuts. Looks like some sort of graphics error I dunno

The launcher for minecraft can also do this. AS well as multimc.

you ever have a moment when you realized you've been doing something the hard way for no reason when there was an obvious easier solution?

i just had the moment.

spent so much time breeding cows for my last villager trading setup so i could make books, meanwhile i could just trade for a bookcase and break that. -__________________-

I really need to read up on this villager thing. I have never done anything with villagers. Unless you want to give an in depth explanation and tutorial go for it =D

Top Bottom