• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

-Minsc-

I put about 7 stacks of bookshelves at spawn in the map area feel free to move it if there is a better place for it or feel it uglies up the place.

I also build a skelly grinder on the mushroom island, I'll try to make it easier to find tomorrow, feel free to use it and take anything from the chests at the grinder.

I'm wondering about the nether portals. The one in spawn still connects to mine and that's fine by me but it could lead to some confusion. I could try and fix it by trying to hook the one in spawn to its own portal but it could also end up messing up someone else's portal so I didn't want to do anything without getting the go ahead and unless yous wanted to use it as a quick way to travel to the mushroom island.

Did anyone ever match the nether side spawn portal coordinates with the overworld coordinates?

I'm about to buy this on PS3 and I'm so excited. I was jaded on Minecraft for a long time until my 7 year old twin nephews started playing it. Seeing their level of excitement in describing all the ender creatures to me and all the things they build just gives me that feeling of when I was that age and played with Legos (they do too but I didn't have video games).

Morokh

Did anyone ever match the nether side spawn portal coordinates with the overworld coordinates?

There was talk about it, but i don't think anyone actually did it.

I went exploring a bit yesterday and claimed a small plains and swamp biome with a witch hut around 2500'ish blocks from spawn ( yes I might do THIS again ... xD ) so if you see one with regular cobble pillars with torches on top that's where it is.

I'll do some mining there then level my small spawn house rebuild something more fitting, and then start the serious business !

masud

Banned
I put about 7 stacks of bookshelves at spawn in the map area feel free to move it if there is a better place for it or feel it uglies up the place.

I also build a skelly grinder on the mushroom island, I'll try to make it easier to find tomorrow, feel free to use it and take anything from the chests at the grinder.

I'm wondering about the nether portals. The one in spawn still connects to mine and that's fine by me but it could lead to some confusion. I could try and fix it by trying to hook the one in spawn to its own portal but it could also end up messing up someone else's portal so I didn't want to do anything without getting the go ahead and unless yous wanted to use it as a quick way to travel to the mushroom island.

Awesome what are coords to the spawner? I need arrows!

can I please be added to the whitelist? First time playing minecraft on PC, so I'll make sure my basic hut won't get in the way of any of you, but looking forward to learning on GAFland :)

minecraft name is: _LOLduke_

Just whitelisted you so you should be able to build and interact with the server now. Have fun.

Crispy75

Awesome what are coords to the spawner? I need arrows!

Easiest way is to go into the central nether portal, then back the other way. You will arrive in the mushroom biome. Head west. The entrance to the grinder is underneath the westernmost mushroom.

Xun

For when GAFLand gets reset, perhaps we should look into doing a proper train station as one of the first projects? Something like this:

Minecraft-train-station.png
I still propose we find a decent location and make something like this, especially now that it has been reset.

hodgy100

So ive lost access to my account :(
cant log in ot my account thought the game or website. Password reset doesnt send to any of my email addresses and i don't have my transaction id. ive sent an email to mojang support but I'm betting the likelihood of me getting my account back now is slim :(

Sarcasm

So ive lost access to my account :(
cant log in ot my account thought the game or website. Password reset doesnt send to any of my email addresses and i don't have my transaction id. ive sent an email to mojang support but I'm betting the likelihood of me getting my account back now is slim :(

Did you migrate your account? If not its a username..if you did its the email

^ referring to what you use to log in.

DukeSucks

is there a website somewhere with all the basic crafting recipes? Coming from console, I don't know what order to place the stuff (and I died while I was looking up how to make an axe online).

Maybe something that's printable? Or something that I can have minimized in another window for easy access.

Crispy75

I still propose we find a decent location and make something like this, especially now that it has been reset.

If Ark would be kind enough to provide a 1px/block map of the area around spawn, I will draw up the blueprints :)

EDIT: Not to worry, Charlie's downloaded the world, and I'll upload a map.

Roche

is there a website somewhere with all the basic crafting recipes? Coming from console, I don't know what order to place the stuff (and I died while I was looking up how to make an axe online).

Maybe something that's printable? Or something that I can have minimized in another window for easy access.

This page has a pretty good list of crafting recipies.

Are there any official or unofficial rules for claiming build spots? I don't play super often, so I don't want to step on any toes or interfere with any of the cool stuff you all have goings, but I'd still like to grab a nice spot not too far from spawn while they're still available.

Are there any official or unofficial rules for claiming build spots? I don't play super often, so I don't want to step on any toes or interfere with any of the cool stuff you all have goings, but I'd still like to grab a nice spot not too far from spawn while they're still available.

Don't build under/over people's builds unless you get that person's permission to do so. . Don't touch the mesa of clay not too far outside of the main town, because people apparently have boners for it and would like to see its exterior remain undisturbed. Building/mining underneath the top layers seems fine as the underneath is not visible. Also, if you're going about mining at lower levels and stumble onto an area that's obviously being mined, patch up the hole you made and do your best to find areas that haven't been mined.

Also, I'm not sure about build spot claiming. I think it's done in the past, but anyone who claims a spot has already started building on it right when they get there pretty much. I would think if you find an untouched area, there shouldn't be any problem building on it/under it.

This is the jist I've gotten from the building rules on the gaf server. I honestly never asked what the build rules are. I just build stuff and haven't stepped on any toes yet.

Fuchsdh

I'm down with building awesome train stations. I was going to start hollowing out under spawn for the "grant central" one, but apparently the spawn is protected. So do we want to build it above-ground, or just pick a different spot underground a bit? If so we need to cordon off an area outside initial spawn to build it, there's no room inside the current safe zones.

Since the amount of slime I needed for my elevator is proving unrealistic I'm pretty much just finishing off my house/tower thing and working on rails to the east now.

ShadiWulf

What i did was light up the area i was claiming pretty well and build some temporary walls to show stuff is being planned on being built. I personally cant think of a better way to claiming a fairly big plot of land, but maybe there is. I don't claim to be an expert at this game.

The cool thing about minecraft is there will always be cool spots to build, the world is never ending. But when you first start a map on a server you don't want to go ridiculously far unless you have to, otherwise you're just needlessly increasing the size of the world file.

I was really happy when i stumbled upon these snowy mountains after walking and wandering around forever. Here is screen i took of part of the land I claimed (i claimed a pretty huge chunk). After thinking about it over night my plan is to build a winter snowy resort of sorts. with some castle (possibly even ice castle structures if i can find packed ice anywhere!) like tower structures occasionally. but not really a full out castle. It's pretty plain looking at the moment, still in the process of coming up with ideas, but I promise it will look much better when it's done. I also need to collect many more materials.

It's quite beautiful looking when it snows, especially at night :)

masud

Banned
So I found a village on top of a Mesa plateau (which I didn't think was possible) in gafland. I think if we start a Mesa town we should build it there. Absolutely gorgeous surroundings. Its at 1100, -250.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

honestly, if you just google it, you'll most likely end up at the wiki that has the recipes. Heck, I googled 'wheat' yesterday and minecraft was about the 4th result.

The portal at spawn links to the nether, but when I come back through it I end up at the mushroom biome.. (btw, where is the skelly spawner? I followed the sign directly but couldn't find it)

-Minsc-

honestly, if you just google it, you'll most likely end up at the wiki that has the recipes. Heck, I googled 'wheat' yesterday and minecraft was about the 4th result.

The portal at spawn links to the nether, but when I come back through it I end up at the mushroom biome.. (btw, where is the skelly spawner? I followed the sign directly but couldn't find it)

To fix the portal you take the overworld portal coordinates, divide them by eight and then head to those coordinates in the nether. Build the portal there and it should link up with the overworld. If someone one did do that, the portal on the overworld is a 5x5. I believe the nether side portal is 4x5. Not sure if that matters but it might throw the thing off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To fix the portal you take the overworld portal coordinates, divide them by eight and then head to those coordinates in the nether. Build the portal there and it should link up with the overworld.

Isn't the problem that someone built another portal pretty close by in the nether already?

ShadiWulf

Isn't the problem that someone built another portal pretty close by in the nether already?

If the coordinates match it shouldn't matter. Anyways I edited my earlier post with another possible solution.

I know they say that Y coordinates don't matter, but I've had experiences where I've built close to another portal where Y made a difference between linking to my portal and another portal.

Fuchsdh

Actually who built the railroad heading east? Might make the most sense to just start the train station there since it's right outside the base limits.

-Minsc-

OK, I checked the spawn portal nether coordinates. There were not anywhere close to being right. New portal up and connected to spawn. :) It needs a proper ghast shield but I'll leave that for another. ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are the rules for fireproofing something? Just set fire to my roof. I had about 6-7 blocks between the flame and the roof, with stone in the way before any wood. Just tried an experiment outside and it seems wood doesn't burn until 5 blocks above fire?

Wired

Actually who built the railroad heading east? Might make the most sense to just start the train station there since it's right outside the base limits.

It's the best spot, you should just start building there imo. One thing to consider though is if we should rip up the track and make room for at least two tracks (incoming/outgoing). For symmetry sake :p

Crispy75

Ok, I have a pretty good idea of how the station should be laid out. I'm picking out the grids and corners in clay blocks, and will post floor plans and elevations here soon. It'll be directly East of spawn, and will take all of our communal effort.

EDIT: I see the recent discussion now! I'll post a floorplan ASAP so I can guage popularity of the idea...

Crispy75

Gafland Central Proposal:

WmsONLn.png

This is similar in scale to real-world grand stations like St. Pancras or Washington Union.
The central hall would be grand and vaulted, with lower wings and flanking towers. The N/S tracks would pass underneath the station and are accessed via steps down from the sides of the main train shed.

-Minsc-

what are the rules for fireproofing something? Just set fire to my roof. I had about 6-7 blocks between the flame and the roof, with stone in the way before any wood. Just tried an experiment outside and it seems wood doesn't burn until 5 blocks above fire?

Something like this, but maybe not.

Code:
B = Block in danger zone
X = Air in which flame can spread
F = Fire

BBBBBBB <-
BXXXXXB   |
BXXXXXB   Y-Axis
BXXFXXB   |
BXXXXXB   |
BBBBBBB <-

Fuchsdh

Everybody thought it was you lol.

Haha I was busy lagging around and dying in my mines.

It's the best spot, you should just start building there imo. One thing to consider though is if we should rip up the track and make room for at least two tracks (incoming/outgoing). For symmetry sake :p
Yeah I'll probably just dismantle the existing track and rebuild it after I've got the main structure up. I'm thinking at least four tracks , and if we need more we can build another set of tracks underground
I ain't ashamed to say i googled 'colonnade'.
Art history son, it's good for something every once in a while :p

I'd love to be whitelisted. Getting back into minecraft after a year hiatus. Been playing since alpha. Looking for a good community. Minecraft name is Theismisacrime

Ark

Any chance of getting whitelisted on the GAF server? Minecraft name is Merovin

I'd love to be whitelisted. Getting back into minecraft after a year hiatus. Been playing since alpha. Looking for a good community. Minecraft name is Theismisacrime

Sure thing, will add you both in a few.

WmsONLn.png

This is similar in scale to real-world grand stations like St. Pancras or Washington Union.
The central hall would be grand and vaulted, with lower wings and flanking towers. The N/S tracks would pass underneath the station and are accessed via steps down from the sides of the main train shed.

I love it.

It seems to me that messing with somebody's head is rather detrimental to server health. Ark, what have you done :D .

Not sure what happened/is happening. I think someone at Multiplay spilt coffee on the server rack again.

Fuchsdh

WmsONLn.png

Seems like a decent start for the floorplan, have you considered elevations?

y1C3Pj2.png

I'm sort of torn between single large vaulting for the main hall or a more ornate double vaulting, perhaps with a larger capitol-style dome at the joists.

and of course there's the matter of the facade. Do we want to go more neoclassical, Washington Federal, or perhaps a bit of Beaux Arts?

EDIT: Also wy not just stick the N/S tracks directly under the main hall, like how the DC Metro stations are set up?

Crispy75

Seems like a decent start for the floorplan, have you considered elevations?

I'm sort of torn between single large vaulting for the main hall or a more ornate double vaulting, perhaps with a larger capitol-style dome at the joists.
The main hall would be a big quartz vault, with patterned stone floor and wooden furniture. I'm likewise torn about the complexity of the vaulting, but the front facade whould be a unified rectangle, I think. The main train shed would be in three equal spans. Doing it in one large span wouldl make it more obvious how short the building is (unless we make the platforms 3x as long!)
and of course there's the matter of the facade. Do we want to go more neoclassical, Washington Federal, or perhaps a bit of Beaux Arts?
All three are versions of the same thing really - you can't tell the difference at minecraft scale :D - But yes, that heavyset neoclassical style that N.American stations use. It's more suited to minecraft than the fiddly neo-gothic of the UK stations.
EDIT: Also wy not just stick the N/S tracks directly under the main hall, like how the DC Metro stations are set up?
So you can look down on them, really. I wanted to give it the impression of being a later addition to the side of an older building.

Some good thoughts there though - I'll upload my elevations in a bit and you can have a play with them

I'll probably be on tonight to record for Episode 74 (thanks for the dark oak at spawn, Dry!) and do some more finalization of scouting for my plot.

I'm looking right now at about -500, 1900, I think? I'll need to check a few other possible locations but this one has quite some promise.

Fuchsdh

The main hall would be a big quartz vault, with patterned stone floor and wooden furniture. I'm likewise torn about the complexity of the vaulting, but the front facade whould be a unified rectangle, I think. The main train shed would be in three equal spans. Doing it in one large span wouldl make it more obvious how short the building is (unless we make the platforms 3x as long!)

All three are versions of the same thing really - you can't tell the difference at minecraft scale :D - But yes, that heavyset neoclassical style that N.American stations use. It's more suited to minecraft than the fiddly neo-gothic of the UK stations.

So you can look down on them, really. I wanted to give it the impression of being a later addition to the side of an older building.

Some good thoughts there though - I'll upload my elevations in a bit and you can have a play with them

Haha true I'm probably thinking a bit too detailed for minecraft's scale. I guess I'm less interested in "real history" and more on making it feel like a unified whole.

Yeah if you upload your blueprint I can tentatively mark it off and clear it out--I figure we should work from the main platform hall and build from there, make any adjustments as necessary.

Crispy75

Haha true I'm probably thinking a bit too detailed for minecraft's scale. I guess I'm less interested in "real history" and more on making it feel like a unified whole.

Yeah if you upload your blueprint I can tentatively mark it off and clear it out--I figure we should work from the main platform hall and build from there, make any adjustments as necessary.

exdIioX.png

I've already started marking out the floor plan. Gravel for the big columns, sand for the wings, orange clay for the colonnade.

Fuchsdh

exdIioX.png

I've already started marking out the floor plan. Gravel for the big columns, sand for the wings, orange clay for the colonnade.

I would suggest giving it a block or two of elevation for stairs as well so it looks a bit set off from the ground.

Edit: so quartz walls and stone floors?

Top Bottom