• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Sarcasm

I've no idea what you just said

iDTxCgxSY3SZm.PNG

ibvUWtAnZd6zXI.png

That is what I am talking about. The default minecraft launcher. Has every version even all the way back to alpha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, I've marked out the foundations with sand and gravel, and made a start on building up some of the columns. If you visit the site, it should be pretty obvious what goes where. Bring smooth stone and quartz!

As for an outer ring, I think a circle would be too much of a ballache, especially if it had to try and follow the terrain. How about octagon(s) instead?

TSYy1QS.png

Much easier to build up to the edge of straight-bordered plots.

I like the octagon idea, that looks great!

Audioboxer

It was fun listening to my GF explode last night after finding lots of diamond/redstone/iron ore underground and then proceeding to fall down a 1 block hole on the way back home into lava. BOOM, everything gone lol.

Both of us are still new to Minecraft, it's been fun playing on survival so far on the PS3.

It was fun listening to my GF explode last night after finding lots of diamond/redstone/iron ore underground and then proceeding to fall down a 1 block hole on the way back home into lava. BOOM, everything gone lol.

Both of us are still new to Minecraft, it's been fun playing on survival so far on the PS3.

I have been playing with my 6 year old niece. Her reaction to creepers are hilarious to watch :D

PS - I was on the GAF server and it amazes me what people do. I always start with some basic rectangular wooden house and dont know what to build next. :(

People have like castles and creatives mansions . I feel like there should be a GAF city and Id be living in the slums with all the other peasants :(

UF_C

Banned
I have been playing with my 6 year old niece. Her reaction to creepers are hilarious to watch :D

PS - I was on the GAF server and it amazes me what people do. I always start with some basic rectangular wooden house and dont know what to build next. :(

People have like castles and creatives mansions . I feel like there should be a GAF city and Id be living in the slums with all the other peasants :(

One thing I think about when building a house it building several of those rectangular wooden areas of different sizes as rooms to the house. Then try and connect them with a second story of rectangular wooden rooms and then add a nice balcony. You might be surprised just how unique your house can look by just adding on rooms and a roof!

Many thanks to Sarcasm/MonthOLDpickle (He did most of the work. I stood there, watched, learned, got in the way sometimes.), a new zombie xp grinder is up and running.

The path starts with climbing the ladder (for now) in the image below. Coordinates for the ladder are:

X: -265
Y: 64
Z: -275

Climb it and follow the path. Happy grinding.

This should help alleviate the line at the skelly grinder. :p

Fuchsdh

Many thanks to Sarcasm/MonthOLDpickle (He did most of the work. I stood there, watched, learned, got in the way sometimes.), a new zombie xp grinder is up and running.

The path starts with climbing the ladder (for now) in the image below. Coordinates for the ladder are:

X: -265
Y: 64
Z: -275

Climb it and follow the path. Happy grinding.

This should help alleviate the line at the skelly grinder. :p

Awesome, thanks.

Speaking of, we should have an updated map in the OP or something with marked locations. I have no idea where anything is outside of spawn so especially once we get the trains running it would be great to have a big overhead.

Crispy75

Making good progress on central station :)

If anyone fancies it (I don't, heh), the central quartz arch is one block too low, it's covering up the windowframe and needs to be moved up by a block....

Who has experience with minecart handling and redstone? I'm trying to design a line terminus machine that turns carts round or supplies new ones. ideally in a 3 wide space (or 5, if underground)

EDIT: Although, tbf, who's ever going to ride a cart *to* spawn when you can just warp? There's no real need for handling arrivals...

-Minsc-

EDIT: Although, tbf, who's ever going to ride a cart *to* spawn when you can just warp? There's no real need for handling arrivals...

Look at it this way, someday this map will be mothballed. At that time people won't have /spawn to warp around in single player.

defel

Ive also built a nice little zombie xp-farm in the basement of my house just south of spawn (andy on the server). Ill add a public entrance on the main path when I can be bothered.

ckohler

After a couple of days of tinkering offline, I've decided on how the public mob grinder will work and where it will be located.

It's going to be a flushing, drop grinder. It'll have five spawn floors with the option to stack more later.

ZiGWuGI.png

Here is a spawn floor. It'll use water dispensers set on a repeating timer that will flush the mobs off the spawn floors every 30 seconds or so.

ilSw6ll.png

Here is the channeling floors with spawn floor cut-away. This gets the mobs all in a 3x3 chute before dropping them 32 blocks to their deaths.

YrNAei8.png

Finally, the collection room will have nine hoppers at the bottom to collect drops into three chests with spare chests nearby for extra storage.

h9g4ros.png

The green area is the location I am building the grinder. Please do not build on or under the green area. I've marked it off with signs and posts to hopefully reserve it. The grinder will take up this area. Once it's done, everyone will be welcome to take whatever drops it produces as needed.

The grinder will be almost entirely underground, so it should look nice with only a floor or two appearing above the surface. :) I've already hollowed out the passage down to the collection room. Most of this build will just be a lot of digging but I'm now ready. The only difficult items needed are the following. If anyone wants to donate, I'd be grateful.

20 Dispensers
20 Buckets
9 hoppers
Several stacks of Redstone

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sweet :) I have bajillions of redstone and my house is just next door, so I'll drop some off at the site next time I'm on

I can probably donate a stack of iron(ish) tomorrow morning for buckets etc. although if you set up a temporary infinite spring you might not need that many buckets?

ckohler

I can probably donate a stack of iron(ish) tomorrow morning for buckets etc. although if you set up a temporary infinite spring you might not need that many buckets?
Thanks! I do need one bucket for every dispencer so they can dispence and retract water.

Crispy75

There is room in the entabulature of the station for a monumental inscription. There is enough space for ~13 characters. CENTRAL STATION is 15 :-(

EDIT: GAF CENTRAL it is.

-Minsc-

After some brainstorming here's my current wall proposal.

Wall001.png

I ditched the idea of making an octagon around all of spawn as I feel there's too many builds in the way already. Instead I'll build a wall on the east side and let the surrounding water be the rest of a "barrier"

As noted, we can build a harbour somewhere and perhaps someone could build a fleet of ships to protect our glorious kingdom. On the ends and two corners of the wall I was thinking of putting sentry towers. In the desert I think it would be cool to build an aqueduct system for irrigation and to supply water to desert dwellings. Anyways, these are ideas which I throw out to anyone. :)

Fuchsdh

Wall001.png

I ditched the idea of making an octagon around all of spawn as I feel there's too many builds in the way already. Instead I'll build a wall on the east side and let the surrounding water be the rest of a "barrier"

As noted, we can build a harbour somewhere and perhaps someone could build a fleet of ships to protect our glorious kingdom. On the ends and two corners of the wall I was thinking of putting sentry towers. In the desert I think it would be cool to build an aqua duct system for irrigation and to supply water to desert dwellings. Anyways, these are ideas which I throw out to anyone. :)

I've never actually tried to reclaim desert in Minecraft. What does it entail? (I'd love to get more green on our map near spawn.)

Finished rebuilding my house so it doesn't look so horrible. And we've got some glass in the station!

ZZMitch

Sorry guys I have not been following this thread closely enough. I heard talk of a new server coming and wanted to get started with you all from the beginning again! When is it going up/is it already up?

ShadiWulf

GAF Central looking great, you guys build fast. When I get on tomorrow I'll be going quartz hunting to help out.

I feel I made decent progress on my area in Gafland today. I like the feel I got so far. and I think that is always a good thing. I died once when building the bridge, fell, then was about to survive, but got blown up by a creeper waiting for me. It's also much easier to get around now. Makes it a lot easier to get things done.

-Minsc-

I've never actually tried to reclaim desert in Minecraft. What does it entail? (I'd love to get more green on our map near spawn.)

Finished rebuilding my house so it doesn't look so horrible. And we've got some glass in the station!

You can't actually get the nice green grass (without cheating and somehow changing the biome type) but one could replace the top layer with dirt and allow the grass to spread. An irrigation system can be designed to give the illusion of water bring fertility to an otherwise barren wasteland.

Sorry guys I have not been following this thread closely enough. I heard talk of a new server coming and wanted to get started with you all from the beginning again! When is it going up/is it already up?

A new map, on 1.7.4, went live January 1st. :)

Fuchsdh

GAF Central looking great, you guys build fast. When I get on tomorrow I'll be going quartz hunting to help out.

I feel I made decent progress on my area in Gafland today. I like the feel I got so far. and I think that is always a good thing. I died once when building the bridge, fell, then was about to survive, but got blown up by a creeper waiting for me. It's also much easier to get around now. Makes it a lot easier to get things done.

Looks very cool. Where is this, I'd love to visit. Haven't really gotten out of the spawn area.

You can't actually get the nice green grass (without cheating and somehow changing the biome type) but one could replace the top layer with dirt and allow the grass to spread. An irrigation system can be designed to give the illusion of water bring fertility to an otherwise barren wasteland.

Sounds good. I'll be down to help with that.

Got my new house together, if you come in there are ladders on the side of the north overlook that will allow you to get up to the roof and enjoy the view.

Here's a crappy panorama I put together of what GAFland looks like now (I need to adjust my FOV if I try and make panos, Photoshop freaks out at a >90 FOV.)

XJHSrRa.jpg

ShadiWulf

Looks very cool. Where is this, I'd love to visit. Haven't really gotten out of the spawn area.

Thanks for the compliment, Fuchsdh. It is a really cool area to build in. It's been really tricky too, though. I had a vision in my mind of lots of buildings hanging off the edges of the snowy hills and bridges connecting them and such, but it's not working out that way. So it's been a lot of experimenting and playing around for me. :) I also feel that my pic might be a bit misleading, cause it's night, things look cool at night. At day it feels much less atmospheric. But that might be cause of the nature of the default texture pack, which is mostly bright and contrasty by default. Also the castle tower i got in the background is very bare bones, something I threw together fast. I wanted a tower to help pull everything together.

As for where it is located. I got the coordinates wrote down in notepad.
x: 1826
z: -1214

Also have a portal in the nether, don't know the coordinates off hand though, plus I plan on moving it so it matches exactly to my over-world portal so no one else portal ever interferes with mine. Though when I was in the nether i saw some stone pillars near my portal so imagine it must be somewhat close to other stuff. When I get on tomorrow I'll get my current nether coordinates and post them here. They will change a bit though probably when i get around to fixing my portal up.

Got my new house together, if you come in there are ladders on the side of the north overlook that will allow you to get up to the roof and enjoy the view.

Here's a crappy panorama I put together of what GAFland looks like now (I need to adjust my FOV if I try and make panos, Photoshop freaks out at a >90 FOV.)

XJHSrRa.jpg

That's really awesome. I didn't know Photoshop had an option to capture screens that way. Looks great :)

XJHSrRa.jpg

Looks amazing! I just tweeted it out to some of my Twitter followers with all the proper attribution, of course. :)

In case you're wondering what's where and what is whose, here's a guide:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I appear to have stolen Wooley's luck - in three attempts I have two diamond picks with fortune III, uh breakable III, efficiency IV. As I should be able to manage with one and keep the other repaired, I figure it'd be good to donate to a building project that needs to escalate a lot of stuff quickly. Any suggestions?

Sarcasm

Anybody near MonthOLDpickle's home have any cows? Literally spent another hour or so looking for any peaceful animals to find 0 just like before when joining the new world.

Ark

Wall001.png

As noted, we can build a harbour somewhere and perhaps someone could build a fleet of ships to protect our glorious kingdom. On the ends and two corners of the wall I was thinking of putting sentry towers. In the desert I think it would be cool to build an aqueduct system for irrigation and to supply water to desert dwellings. Anyways, these are ideas which I throw out to anyone. :)

I really like this idea, I'd be down to contribute to some desert dwellings and ports. Though I do need to make a lot more progress on Arkyoto V2.0 before it becomes another project I never finish.

EDIT: Does anyone know of a way to create a dragon head in Minecraft? Or a program that would give me some good blue prints to do so, or am I going to have to wing it?

Fuchsdh

Looks amazing! I just tweeted it out to some of my Twitter followers with all the proper attribution, of course. :)

In case you're wondering what's where and what is whose, here's a guide:

Ugh well now I wished I had spent the time making it better :p

I'll play with my FOV settings and try to capture a good 360º pano today, so I can get Skurd's bizarre flipped house behind me :p

-Minsc-

I really like this idea, I'd be down to contribute to some desert dwellings and ports. Though I do need to make a lot more progress on Arkyoto V2.0 before it becomes another project I never finish.

EDIT: Does anyone know of a way to create a dragon head in Minecraft? Or a program that would give me some good blue prints to do so, or am I going to have to wing it?

Speaking of Asian themes. An idea could be to build a water distribution system from the the large mountain range east? of spawn. This would provide water to the various eventual towns and villages around the map. Of course the aqueduct system could range form a simple trench in the ground to glorious Roman inspired arches. It definitely would be a neat project. Maybe the water channels could be build hand in hand with the rail/road network.

These are just ideas I'm throwing out there which I may or may not get to. Currently I'm concentrating on building my planned wall. :)

ZZMitch

Wall001.png

I like this! Might have to relocate my home (it is currently a shack in a birch forest outside of the wall would be). Or I could just build a spawn house as well! :p

Is there a process for claiming land close to spawn?

Ok AbsurdityCraft people, if any of you are paying attention to this thread, I need a show of hands for how many people want it to continue existing in its current form. I've been getting reports of increasing lag with more people doin more things on the server, and there's not really an easy way of dealing with that. I'm saying this now because I'm nearing the end of the current billing period on the server and while I love running this thing for people who do enjoy it, I'm thinking about taking it down, putting the world up for download for whomever wants to play it in singleplayer or lan or whatever, and then resurrecting the server in a slightly different form with a new world and significantly fewer mods . I have some unique ideas for how this future plan will work. Not just a smaller modpack but something a little more interesting.

Anyway, this is the juncture at which we currently stand!

Xun

Wall001.png

I like this idea a lot!

All seems solid to me.

defel

So can we set up a time when we can go defeat the dragon? Ive got all the resources together for a pretty badass enderman farm and Im itching to get started as soon as possible (my base requires a lot of digging).

Sooner rather than later would be great, particularly since the enderdragon fight is, in my opinion, pretty mundane and boring. Just so long as those who particularly want to fight the enderdragon are able to do so. Im indifferent about it, I just want the motherfucker dead :D

belushy

Banned
I want him dead too, but I think Ark and Mengy were talking about setting up Multiverse so we can do Dragon fights every month or something like that. Not sure how that would effect an ender man farm.

Ark

Speaking of Asian themes. An idea could be to build a water distribution system from the the large mountain range east? of spawn. This would provide water to the various eventual towns and villages around the map. Of course the aqueduct system could range form a simple trench in the ground to glorious Roman inspired arches. It definitely would be a neat project. Maybe the water channels could be build hand in hand with the rail/road network.

These are just ideas I'm throwing out there which I may or may not get to. Currently I'm concentrating on building my planned wall. :)

I'm all for glorious Roman inspired arches! I'll try and get a move-on with Arkyoto V2.0.

So can we set up a time when we can go defeat the dragon? Ive got all the resources together for a pretty badass enderman farm and Im itching to get started as soon as possible (my base requires a lot of digging).

Sooner rather than later would be great, particularly since the enderdragon fight is, in my opinion, pretty mundane and boring. Just so long as those who particularly want to fight the enderdragon are able to do so. Im indifferent about it, I just want the motherfucker dead :D

Just ask around and keep nagging people :p

I want him dead too, but I think Ark and Mengy were talking about setting up Multiverse so we can do Dragon fights every month or something like that. Not sure how that would effect an ender man farm.

I have no idea either. But with Multiverse is should be possible to have multiple 'End' realms.

Top Bottom