• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I just wanna say what you guys are doing is pretty insane/awesome!

I played a bit on my PC and also on the 360 but I never have the motivation to keep going :p I run out of ideas and patience.

-Minsc-

I just wanna say what you guys are doing is pretty insane/awesome!

I played a bit on my PC and also on the 360 but I never have the motivation to keep going :p I run out of ideas and patience.

Ideas: There is plenty of inspiration on the NeoGaf server. :)

Patience: It is a learned skill.

Wired

Gawd damn it all, spent the last 2 hours mining Quartz. Had managed to collect a bit over 12 stacks of ore blocks as well as a few stacks of glowstone. Server restarts and everything's gone.

MrBig

I copied the south arch for whoever is working on gaf central, and extended the clay ceiling. Left 8x64 clay and a stack of lapis in the chest.

Gawd damn it all, spent the last 2 hours mining Quartz. Had managed to collect a bit over 12 stacks of ore blocks as well as a few stacks of glowstone. Server restarts and everything's gone.

I only lost about 5 minutes of progress from that restart

Quartz seems really popular - I'm having to go out pretty far to find ore now.

UF_C

Banned
I copied the south arch for whoever is working on gaf central, and extended the clay ceiling. Left 8x64 clay and a stack of lapis in the chest.

I only lost about 5 minutes of progress from that restart

I walked by someone's house today and the whole thing was made from Quartz it seemed. It was pretty cool looking.

Vlad

Ok AbsurdityCraft people, if any of you are paying attention to this thread, I need a show of hands for how many people want it to continue existing in its current form. I've been getting reports of increasing lag with more people doin more things on the server, and there's not really an easy way of dealing with that. I'm saying this now because I'm nearing the end of the current billing period on the server and while I love running this thing for people who do enjoy it, I'm thinking about taking it down, putting the world up for download for whomever wants to play it in singleplayer or lan or whatever, and then resurrecting the server in a slightly different form with a new world and significantly fewer mods . I have some unique ideas for how this future plan will work. Not just a smaller modpack but something a little more interesting.

Anyway, this is the juncture at which we currently stand!

Personally, I'm all for keeping it as it currently is, but I haven't been having any lag issues, so if there's a definite problem, I see why things would need to be changed.

masud

Banned
So has anyone thought about laying roads in gafland? It seems like a lot of houses are in random spots facing random directions. It's gonna be hard to connect them all.

Fuchsdh

So has anyone thought about laying roads in gafland? It seems like a lot of houses are in random spots facing random directions. It's gonna be hard to connect them all.

I assumed we were just continuing the N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW roads out like a spoke and let the rest sort itself out.

-Minsc-

It's on "the list" of stuff to do. Today I was working on building a wall. Feel free to get started on the roads.

DukeSucks

Having fun on the server, you guys are all nice and helpful to the new guys like myself. I'm still grinding out the beginning stages, but I have claimed a nice little island for me to start a small house ( and I can see a neighbor across the river). Finally got to the point where I have some stone tools and a few torches, going to start mining some for ores tomorrow.

I can see how it's very easy to lose yourself in this game :)

masud

Banned
It's on "the list" of stuff to do. Today I was working on building a wall. Feel free to get started on the roads.

Maybe I'll work on that next time I log in.

I was thinking of making my "in town" home a Zeppelin in the sky. I'd probably have to build it over water so the shadows don't bother people. Unless someone wants to live in perpetual darkness?

ShadiWulf

Having fun on the server, you guys are all nice and helpful to the new guys like myself. I'm still grinding out the beginning stages, but I have claimed a nice little island for me to start a small house ( and I can see a neighbor across the river). Finally got to the point where I have some stone tools and a few torches, going to start mining some for ores tomorrow.

I can see how it's very easy to lose yourself in this game :)

When you start finding diamonds is when you really start to lose yourself, cause you wanna find more. and then before you know it you got a cluttered inventory and have to organize your stuff.

im personally really bad at organizing my Minecraft stuff, it just gets to be so much, but I've seen some really impressive setups on various places that I try to imitate and fail.

before you know it you'll be enchanting diamond pics and crying when your 30 levels of experience go to complete waste!

Have you fell in lava and lost all your items yet? it will happen.
Have you been ganged up on and destroyed by the mobs yet? That will also happen sometime.
Have you had your valuable diamond gear stolen by a Zombie Pigman? It will happen.
other things happen too, but don't want to spoil all the surprises for you!

ahh the joys of Minecraft... it can get insanely frustrating at times and cause you to rage quit, yet we still play it... its just that addicting :)

Fuchsdh

Excellent work being done on the train station. I believe we've got all the points with tracery glassed up. Our fearless architect needs to trace out more areas so we know what the hell we're doing. :p Had I thought about it earlier I would have loved to set up a dummy account and do a timelapse of the thing going up... oh well maybe for the next project we do.

So I'll be building right now in a large area at around -425, -1975. It's at a point between a cold taiga biome and ice mountains/plains biome.

It's also adjacent to the ice spikes biome, which I would hope to ask you guys not to pillage. Someone appears to have already been out there harvesting some ice from frozen rivers and lakes and not replacing it.

limlark

Question about the train station: I think the large arched windows on the back side of the ceiling are a block higher than in the front. I noticed as I was doing the quartz arches that they didn't quite align there. Is this intentional?

Crispy75

Question about the train station: I think the large arched windows on the back side of the ceiling are a block higher than in the front. I noticed as I was doing the quartz arches that they didn't quite align there. Is this intentional?

Aargh, no it's not! I'm gonna fix that now... EDIT: Well, I would if the servder wasn't down :(

I've tried to build a representative sample of all the areas of the building, so it should be simple to copy and continue what's been started. I'm back in the office from today so won't have as much time to spend on it.

Ark

Server is back up. Not sure why it went down.

EDIT: There was a huge CPU load spike at around 05:50am GMT that caused it to shut down.

EDIT2: I feel like there are too many mob farms taking up constant CPU load in such a small space around spawn. If you have a large farm that is constantly working, or you have like 50 cows in a pen. Shrink them down. We don't need 80 different farms for the same resource. The server just went down with me and 3 others on it and there's message from Multiplay about issues, so it has to be on our end - and Mengy already disabled the addons that were causing lag.

EDIT3: Turns out Pandacraft had 400 chickens in a tiny farm. Source of lag found folks.

EDIT4: I've just finished copying the front of the train station. I'm not sure what the back is supposed to look like so I've left it be for now.

Ranger X

If there's alot of farms at spawn and potentially causing lag, the food could be made "public" if people concerned would agree and since more people would "use" the farms, I supposed there won't be 400 chickens or cows at the same time for nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Crispy75

EDIT4: I've just finished copying the front of the train station. I'm not sure what the back is supposed to look like so I've left it be for now.

Nice one :) In general, the rear is the same as the front, from the arches upwards. Below the arches will depend on the design of the trainshed, which is still TBC. But be sure to check the level of those rear windows - see limlark's post above.

I'm going to make a bunch of screenshots of and annotate them so people know what and where to build. Should get onto that later today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If there's alot of farms at spawn and potentially causing lag, the food could be made "public" if people concerned would agree and since more people would "use" the farms, I supposed there won't be 400 chickens or cows at the same time for nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Tbh you can get by with a few rows of vegetables, so farms can be overkill (and chickens aren't even needed for arrows as we have a Skelly spawner.)

There are probably more advanced 'factories' close to spawn than I've ever seen - and less than a week after starting. Zombie spawner (two?), several animal pens with lots in, panda's insane but beautiful reed farm, the multi-storey mob grinder and I'm sure there are more tucked away

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah, I've mined a couple dozen stacks of quartz already myself. I still need a lot more yet too, and I'm having to go out farther and farther as well. Still finding it though. I like the nether for this seed, it's interesting.

Crispy75

Ok, here's progress and instructions for Gaf Central. For people to follow should they wish (and for my reference too!)

The view from Spawn:
h54GrAG.jpg

Main concourse, looking North:
FHkOGSd.jpg

Main concourse, looking South:
Gxi5sEK.jpg

South wing, looking South:
9myLFmw.jpg

North Wing, looking North:
1ecTeZ7.jpg

Eastbound platforms:
1KsmwXh.jpg

Underground platform access:
ipJNLUq.jpg

Underground platform cross-section:
OKEtuUz.jpg

Rear of main concourse (looking West):
gSn2Sax.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I've mined a couple dozen stacks of quartz already myself. I still need a lot more yet too, and I'm having to go out farther and farther as well. Still finding it though. I like the nether for this seed, it's interesting.

I kind of wish you could do the reverse of portals - so you could go a small distance in the normal world, and that would translate into a large distance I the nether. Would make nether mining simpler

Crispy75

I kind of wish you could do the reverse of portals - so you could go a small distance in the normal world, and that would translate into a large distance I the nether. Would make nether mining simpler
In theory, you should just be able to mine the nether like you to the overworld. Quartz ore is pretty common, and netherrack just melts with an efficiency pick. Probably about self-sufficient in XP for repairing the eff. and fortune picks you'd be using.

Fuchsdh

Also, if Ark or Charlie fancies uploading the world files, I can make a new map.

Would be great to get a high-rez one we could mark up too--place the locations of free resource chests, public anvils/enchanters/brewing stands, and stops on the metro, once we get it running.

Crispy75

Would be great to get a high-rez one we could mark up too--place the locations of free resource chests, public anvils/enchanters/brewing stands, and stops on the metro, once we get it running.

I think that sort of thing will have to wait for Dynmap to update. That supports the adding of markers and labels: https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/wiki/Component-Configuration
enablesigns : If defined and set to true, this enables support for defining markers using signs. If enabled, and if the player has the dynmap.marker.sign privilege, a player can make a marker by creating a sign with '[dynmap]' as the first line, with the label being derived from the first non-blank line after that (that is not a setting). The icon will be the 'sign' icon, unless one of the lines is 'icon:'. The marker set for the marker will be the default 'markers' set, unless one of the lines is 'set:'. Once accepted, the '[dynmap]' line and any settings lines will be blanked, leaving the sign with the label line and any remaining lines. Destroying the sign will delete the corresponding marker.

Mirk

Ok AbsurdityCraft people, if any of you are paying attention to this thread, I need a show of hands for how many people want it to continue existing in its current form. I've been getting reports of increasing lag with more people doin more things on the server, and there's not really an easy way of dealing with that. I'm saying this now because I'm nearing the end of the current billing period on the server and while I love running this thing for people who do enjoy it, I'm thinking about taking it down, putting the world up for download for whomever wants to play it in singleplayer or lan or whatever, and then resurrecting the server in a slightly different form with a new world and significantly fewer mods . I have some unique ideas for how this future plan will work. Not just a smaller modpack but something a little more interesting.

Anyway, this is the juncture at which we currently stand!

Do whats needed imo. Right now a lot of people are playing on the vannila server. I have had fun on it thats for sure!

Vlad

Do whats needed imo. Right now a lot of people are playing on the vannila server. I have had fun on it thats for sure!

I'm also wondering if it's possible to do sort of a "lag audit" of everybody's bases on AC. Perhaps someone accidentally set something up so that it's causing undue lag (pipes on an automated system overflowing and dumping massive amounts of objects in the world, etc).

I'm also wondering if it's possible to do sort of a "lag audit" of everybody's bases on AC. Perhaps someone accidentally set something up so that it's causing undue lag (pipes on an automated system overflowing and dumping massive amounts of objects in the world, etc).

I think that's a good idea, just to double check. You can easily make something that is a lag monster and not realize it, because it doesn't always manifest itself right away.

limlark

I've just learned there's a strong possibility that old Gafland was deleted with no backup? Confirm/deny? Please deny. I refuse to believe it.

-Minsc-

I've just learned there's a strong possibility that old Gafland was deleted with no backup? Confirm/deny? Please deny. I refuse to believe it.

FALSE

2014-01-06_21.47.21.png

Unless you mean old old Gafland from a few years ago. In that case.....

...there's a backup of that floating around too.

ShadiWulf

ooh, that isometric world view is really cool. lots of really cool looking terrain. I remember for a while minecraft terrain generation was a bit on the boring side.

ZZMitch

We should think about connecting the two rivers right near spawn sometime!

Also the isometric map isn't loading for me on chrome, any tips? Nvm, I downloaded it.

Fuchsdh

Maps! Maps! Maps! Maps!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5697921/gafland-plan-2014-01-06.png

Gentlemen, start planning your railways.

Whose very cool lighthouse is that to the south? Very sweet!

As for metro stops... some initial thoughts...

QB4a0Zp.jpg

The E/W is pretty easy, Prolly the most sense for Spawn West or whatever you'll call it is by the mob grinder.

N/S has some more interesting issues... I figure you want something to go near the mesas, then continue down towards the mushroom island... not really anything up north as of yet, I guess bringing grass to the north will be on my list... will certainly make it more appealing.

I touched up a bit here and there on the train station, Crispy, including the lower platforms. Not sure how far you wanted the main station to go lengthwise--I put a stone marker for what I thought was a good length that covered all the stairs.

limlark

:DDDD

Didn't know I had Started A Rumor, sorry! Charlie said he'd only backed up Neocraft and hadn't heard of anyone else doing Gafland, so naturally I was confused and frightened. Good to know. And yeah I have the older one already I think. Thanks Mengy!

ShadiWulf

We should think about connecting the two rivers right near spawn sometime!

Also the isometric map isn't loading for me on chrome, any tips? Nvm, I downloaded it.

It's a big image. I know you already got it, but for anyone else, or for future reference. Right click on the link and save as. That will save the image to your PC. Then if you want to see it again you won't have to click the link again.

It's a big image though, it takes a good 10 seconds to load (after having it downloaded) on my fairly powerful PC.

ckohler

I finished the mob grinder today. The output isn't that hot compared to grinders I've built in single-player. So, it's probably just the way multiplayer works. Still, it does produce stuff. and there are only 5 floors so I could add a couple more floors to see if it helps.

Here is the output after three or four hours. It's something, at least.

RukjcCY.jpg

Next, I'll fancy up the collection room.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
:DDDD

Didn't know I had Started A Rumor, sorry! Charlie said he'd only backed up Neocraft and hadn't heard of anyone else doing Gafland, so naturally I was confused and frightened. Good to know. And yeah I have the older one already I think. Thanks Mengy!

To be honest, both Neocraft and the old Gafland are still on the server at Multiplay, we just have the world files de-selected as the Multiverse plugin isn't working right now. But I have it all on my PC as well just in case.

ShamePain

Banned
How do I start playing on this server? Seems like I can just walk around right now. The nickname is MHFanatik.
Edit: Could you please whitelist me?

ShadiWulf

is there a sheep farm on the server yet? I actually got an urge to make some wool/pixel art all of a sudden and want to do it sometime this week.

Top Bottom