• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

scarpent

Neo Member
I just logged into the server today and would like to be a part of server but will need someone to bestow on me the ability to properly mine and craft. My in game name is scarpent same as it is here. Thanks.

Morokh

I finished the mob grinder today. The output isn't that hot compared to grinders I've built in single-player. So, it's probably just the way multiplayer works. Still, it does produce stuff. and there are only 5 floors so I could add a couple more floors to see if it helps.

Here is the output after three or four hours. It's something, at least.

RukjcCY.jpg

Next, I'll fancy up the collection room.

The caves in the area, while explored aren't really properly lit up ( and I would guess the branch mines too ), the surface isn't spawn proof enough at night, and hell even people's houses have mobs spawning on/in them very regularly, so there is still room for improvement.

On my side I have a few ideas to 'finish' my spawn plot, but as it involves making some more 'organic' arrangements than what I'm used to that may take a while xD

I started off with a custom tree, and it took me two hours just to do that and try (and fail) at placing the foliage properly.

Also thanks for the map guys, will be very helpful to start planning out my future area.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 360 and PS3 ports of minecraft seem fairly well done - I wonder if mojang has thought about porting it to PC (i.e away from java)? You'd get a big performance improvement I'd think

Had a good session last night - went away from spawn to find a clear area to branch mine, and instead found a skeleton spawner, with saddles,name tags and horse armour. Hooked it up via the nether to the spawn portal so I can get back there more quickly.

Tonight I'll try my first attempt at an Xp farm, and then maybe start branch mining if I have any time.

Crispy75

Whose very cool lighthouse is that to the south? Very sweet!

yours truly. I was going to do a whole desert palace thing but I.... got ditracted. In a good way :)
As for metro stops... some initial thoughts...

QB4a0Zp.jpg

The E/W is pretty easy, Prolly the most sense for Spawn West or whatever you'll call it is by the mob grinder.
We can't go directly east under spawn due to the block potection there. Also, everybody has basements. I think it might be more useful to build a "circle line" taking in the large destinationa around the outside of spawn. Panda's factories, the mob grinder, the zombie grinder (the actual grinder - not just the surface entrance). I believe there's another XP grinder near spawn these days?

something very very roughly like:
Jy8viMv.png

N/S has some more interesting issues... I figure you want something to go near the mesas, then continue down towards the mushroom island... not really anything up north as of yet, I guess bringing grass to the north will be on my list... will certainly make it more appealing.
Agreed :)
I touched up a bit here and there on the train station, Crispy, including the lower platforms. Not sure how far you wanted the main station to go lengthwise--I put a stone marker for what I thought was a good length that covered all the stairs.
You got it just about right, although a few blocks long of a multiple of the wall modules (12 blocks including the columns) so I quickly put in a new line of stone brick, 4 blocks to the West. It'd be good to secure this perimeter against the night time hordes...

masud

Banned
So I haven't really built anything around spawn yet and I think I gonna make a Zepplin/Air Ship. I want to build it close to town so people can see it but mostly over water so I don't leave a shadow over somebody's house. I think this is the best spot.

2TPbXf5.png

I just wanted to run it by the people with builds nearby. It will be pretty high in the air and mostly over water (I may have to overlap with the islands a tiny bit).

Looks like I have a neighbor in the jungle. Im surprised that nobodies set up in on that mega taiga south of the ocean. It's really nice.

Crispy75

The way MP chunk loading works, you probably won't even be able to see all of it from most points on the coast. I'd probably be able to glimpse it from my terrace (the diamond patterned thing to the West), but nobody else is near enough I think.

EDIT
how are people building so far away? Are you just staying there and never go back to spawn?
/sethome /home /spawn and /back take all the legwork out of it.

PS: I wonder what sort of large circular structure this might be? :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anybody else have issues with chunks loading slowly? Any time I need to run for a while (eg yesterday exploring, or trying to get back home being chased by mobs), I quickly run out of visible landscape and either have to stop for a while to let things catch up, or let things draw literally in front of my feet and hope there isn't a big hole.

Would it be at all possible for me and a friend to join you chaps on the server? 1.7 is looking awesome!

thanks! :)

Added you both to the whitelist so you should be able to interact and build on the server now. Let me know if you run into any problems.

The 360 and PS3 ports of minecraft seem fairly well done - I wonder if mojang has thought about porting it to PC (i.e away from java)? You'd get a big performance improvement I'd think

The ship has sailed on that. Personally I don't think they will ever ditch Java for Minecraft simply because it enables them to do 1 version that can be run on the PC and Macs. If they switched to another language they would have to do a dedicated PC and MAC version. This is naturally expensive and they cannot afford to do this. After all Minecraft has only brought in 300 million.

how are people building so far away? Are you just staying there and never go back to spawn?

I tend to head out on my own because most of my builds are a bit grandiose and it can bit a bit overbearing (Dome City on Neogaf was built way too close to spawn). Besides the first thing I do when starting a new server is get the support systems up (mine, food, enchanting). So really their is no need for me to visit spawn.

Hmmm I wonder, you know that would make a really really fantastic dome don't you think :p . I mean it would take a truly anti-social git to build a huge circle like that with a wall all the way down to the sea bed then cover it with a dome. Yep a complete tosser closing themselves off from the rest of the world and laughing as the plebs press their noses up against the magnificent glass encasing. What a CHARMING person that must be :p

masud

Banned
The way MP chunk loading works, you probably won't even be able to see all of it from most points on the coast. I'd probably be able to glimpse it from my terrace (the diamond patterned thing to the West), but nobody else is near enough I think.

EDIT

/sethome /home /spawn and /back take all the legwork out of it.

Well maybe not that high then, like as high as that big tower in town?

Sarcasm

Question that is not really server related.

How can you find your spawn chunk? And it limits?

Spawn Chunks are always loaded right?

@Minsc

If I should move to not be in the way of that line thing, holla before I actually start building something lol. Right now I'm just digging...

Crispy75

Well maybe not that high then, like as high as that big tower in town?

I meant horizontal distance, not vertical, but I just now stood on the steps of the station, and I can just about see all the way to the other side of the spawn circle, so I retract my earlier statement - the blimp should be plenty visible from land on all sides :)

Morokh

Question that is not really server related.

How can you find your spawn chunk? And it limits?

Spawn Chunks are always loaded right?

Searched about it some time ago and couldn't find exact data about it.

Some say it's a 13x13 chunk area (your spawn point 'chunk' being the middle) some say it's up to 16x16 chunks (which imo is more likely)

As far as determining the exact position of that area it's a bit of a blur, but if you don't go as far as 7 chunks in every direction you should be in it.

For the always loaded part it might be specific to servers, but yet again not confirmed.

Fuchsdh

yours truly. I was going to do a whole desert palace thing but I.... got ditracted. In a good way :)

We can't go directly east under spawn due to the block potection there. Also, everybody has basements. I think it might be more useful to build a "circle line" taking in the large destinationa around the outside of spawn. Panda's factories, the mob grinder, the zombie grinder (the actual grinder - not just the surface entrance). I believe there's another XP grinder near spawn these days?

something very very roughly like:
Jy8viMv.png

Agreed :)

You got it just about right, although a few blocks long of a multiple of the wall modules (12 blocks including the columns) so I quickly put in a new line of stone brick, 4 blocks to the West. It'd be good to secure this perimeter against the night time hordes...

So the westbound line essentially becomes the circle then? Sounds fine. That's going to be underground as well right?

Sarcasm

Searched about it some time ago and couldn't find exact data about it.

Some say it's a 13x13 chunk area (your spawn point 'chunk' being the middle) some say it's up to 16x16 chunks (which imo is more likely)

As far as determining the exact position of that area it's a bit of a blur, but if you don't go as far as 7 chunks in every direction you should be in it.

For the always loaded part it might be specific to servers, but yet again not confirmed.

Wonder if I can see the spawn chunk in mcedit..or even try a new world with same seed and not move..and see it with mcedit...

Crispy75

So the westbound line essentially becomes the circle then? Sounds fine. That's going to be underground as well right?
You got it :)
I've started the Southbound run of it from the platforms, which have their own access from the concourse. The main lines will be single track as they won't see much traffic, but the circle will probably be in use quite a bit so it's double track, one for each direction.

I really am going to need help with the minecart handling machinary for that !

Sarcasm

Okay spawn chunk is actually 20x20..and easy way to find I I guess is destroy my bed and die lol...I spawn at the center.

Chunks are 16x16. If you hit F3 and walk around, at the end of the the x and z coords you'll find a number between 0 and 15 in parenthesis. That'll show the outline of a chunk. :)

Edit: Spawn chunks?
Edit2: After reading the wiki, neat. Didn't know of about that haha

-Minsc-

How to join GafLand? First post doesn't help.

How active are the players there?

The IP is near the bottom of the first post, listed as NeoCraft. Quote the OP, it's there.

To get whitelisted PM either Ark or CharmingCharlie (charlie would be your best bet).

-SD-

Banned
Prior to making my post I did quote first post and got the IP, but couldn't join because the server is out of date.

ckohler

Chunks are 16x16. If you hit F3 and walk around, at the end of the the x and z coords you'll find a number between 0 and 15 in parenthesis. That'll show the outline of a chunk. :)

Edit: Spawn chunks?
Edit2: After reading the wiki, neat. Didn't know of about that haha

If my rough calculations are correct, then the chunks in the red square below are never unloaded from memory.

CraeJU7.png

-Minsc-

Prior to making my post I did quote first post and got the IP, but couldn't join because the server is out of date.

I just checked, the IP matches the IP I'm using. Make sure you are not using the NeoCrack IP, that is a different server which no longer exists. Also, NeoCraft is running on 1.7.4.

Anyways, I'll PM you the IP.

Fuchsdh

You got it :)
I've started the Southbound run of it from the platforms, which have their own access from the concourse. The main lines will be single track as they won't see much traffic, but the circle will probably be in use quite a bit so it's double track, one for each direction.

I really am going to need help with the minecart handling machinary for that !

Sadly I won't be of any help--the only apparatus I know how to make is an elevator. I've never cut my teeth on rails.

I also got distracted building an underground route from my house to the station. It intersects near the furnaces. I might just run a route to those stairs you have in the south wing so leave that open :)

(Also I really love the incomplete feeling of being under the building, it's very cool.)

North of spawn I think I'll start Operation Less Desert, but I'm getting distracted by everything else. GAF Central first :)

defel

Another crude way of precisely nailing the spawn chunks down is by leaving a trail of items between the middle and somewhere outside the spawn chunks, make a portal and idle in the nether for 5 mins. The items outside the spawn chunks should not have despawned.

There was a great video by King_happy on youtube about it but unfortunately his account was suspended.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you think being able to change your name will be coming soon? The 1.7 update supports UUIDs so it looks like it is decoupling from usernames.

Just that my kids are both pushing for different names,which at the moment means new accounts,nand if I can avoid that cost it'd be useful.

UF_C

Banned
Whose very cool lighthouse is that to the south? Very sweet!

As for metro stops... some initial thoughts...

QB4a0Zp.jpg

The E/W is pretty easy, Prolly the most sense for Spawn West or whatever you'll call it is by the mob grinder.

N/S has some more interesting issues... I figure you want something to go near the mesas, then continue down towards the mushroom island... not really anything up north as of yet, I guess bringing grass to the north will be on my list... will certainly make it more appealing.

I touched up a bit here and there on the train station, Crispy, including the lower platforms. Not sure how far you wanted the main station to go lengthwise--I put a stone marker for what I thought was a good length that covered all the stairs.
There are a few of us up north now. Head to x: 285, z -614 to start then head North East from there and you will find several us out there eking out a living.

Fuchsdh

There are a few of us up north now. Head to x: 285, z -614 to start then head North East from there and you will find several us out there eking out a living.

Then we'll have to head to you guys and include you as a station.

Anyhow, slowly getting better at the panos. I'll try a nice seamless one next time with a bit more even distortion.

Click to make huge.

MrBig

masud

Banned
If you guys run tracks though the jungle south east of spawn I'd prefer it if they were underground, at least around my build.

Thanks, Mengy. :)

GAF, I would like your opinion. I have two choices for build spots for a fortress, and they are:

#1 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/-499/64/-1939/-2/0/0

#2 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/553/64/-1051/-2/0/0

The problem is each has its pros and cons (#2 is much taller than #1 but is also not as isolated from other builds as I would perhaps like, which #1 is) so I'm caught between two things I really love. Any thoughts on what you think would be more interesting to build on? Keep in mind Fortress 1.0 is already on a series of mountains on the main NeoCraft server.

EDIT: I may have found a compromise #3: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/1389/64/-452/-2/0/0

Sarcasm

It is a Shane that I lead like a mofo. You can see my shack in that over view. East side north of the tracks. Hopefully if I move soon I can fix my latency issue. Pretty sure it is my father in laws setup and it is not currently fixable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks, Mengy. :)

GAF, I would like your opinion. I have two choices for build spots for a fortress, and they are:

#1 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/-499/64/-1939/-2/0/0

#2 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/553/64/-1051/-2/0/0

The problem is each has its pros and cons (#2 is much taller than #1 but is also not as isolated from other builds as I would perhaps like, which #1 is) so I'm caught between two things I really love. Any thoughts on what you think would be more interesting to build on? Keep in mind Fortress 1.0 is already on a series of mountains on the main NeoCraft server.

EDIT: I may have found a compromise #3: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/1389/64/-452/-2/0/0

I like #3 - the snowy peak looking out to the west over the river and Mesa would be really scenic.

Morokh

Okay, seeing this, I have to ask, Whiskey, are you trying to troll us ? xD

Panda, I see you've expanded your reed farm again, I hope all the pistons don't trigger all at the same time, cause well if they do, no wonder we have regular lag spikes on the server :/

Just got done making a temporary path (It's not complete and it's not ghast proofed yet, so go at your own risk. ) in the nether to a portal that takes you all the way out to the ice spike biome @ 4400, 64, -800.

The path to the portal starts in the same room as the nether portal that leads to the overworld spawn. Just follow the signs to the main path and enjoy a somewhat shorter trip to an ice field far far away from spawn. Again please do be careful as it's not fully closed in yet, so getting knocked off by ghasts and general falling off the path is possible in spots. Better have food and be ready to run a lot. :p Now enjoy the portal and go get yourself some of that sweet sweet packed ice.

...The path to the portal will be completed in the next day or three.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For those in need of leather, are people generally ok with others using your cows? Eg breeding with wheat and then killing one so stocks don't change?

I also built a path from the overworkd spawn portal to a second skeleton spawner, just need to get an enchanting table sorted there (hence the question about leather)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Awesome! Slight problem though, dark oak and I believe acacia stairs don't show up. Makes it look like we have a bunch of lazy people on the server, lol.

Yeah, I noticed that after I had created the map. I now have an updated version of Overviewer, hopefully the next map has that corrected. I'll run one today just to verify it does.

masud

Banned
For those in need of leather, are people generally ok with others using your cows? Eg breeding with wheat and then killing one so stocks don't change?

I also built a path from the overworkd spawn portal to a second skeleton spawner, just need to get an enchanting table sorted there (hence the question about leather)

Yeah I don't think anyone would care.

I just logged into the server today and would like to be a part of server but will need someone to bestow on me the ability to properly mine and craft. My in game name is scarpent same as it is here. Thanks.

Many apologies Scarpent, I completely missed your post till today. I have added you to the whitelist and you should be able to interact and build on the server now. Any problems don't be afraid to contact me.

Fuchsdh

Okay, seeing this, I have to ask, Whiskey, are you trying to troll us ? xD

Panda, I see you've expanded your reed farm again, I hope all the pistons don't trigger all at the same time, cause well if they do, no wonder we have regular lag spikes on the server :/

Neighborhood association should forcibly take down the flaming head for not keeping with the town's aesthetic :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Panda's place is amazing. Love the green stained glass covering the reed farm. And looks like an iron farm round back? I do wonder if some of these large factories should be a little further away from spawn to avoid lag, but it is damn impressive.

Morokh

Panda's place is amazing. Love the green stained glass covering the reed farm. And looks like an iron farm round back? I do wonder if some of these large factories should be a little further away from spawn to avoid lag, but it is damn impressive.

As long as the iron farm kills the Golem right away and doesn't stockpile them it should be fine.

I'm more concerned with Panda's reed farm really as pistons tend to be a major cause of lag, and a bit with seekholer's spawner as it is water based, but once again with this one if mobs are dispatched and killed quickly we could be fine.

As for huge builds/factories being a bit far from community places, it's definitely something to consider.

Panda's place is close, but not glued right to spawn (i'd recommend expanding further north, cause well ... we know it's coming :D ), so it's seems fine, Whiskey's tower on the other hand .... :p
Also it's right on the axis of the road heading that direction should we need to expand it.

Top Bottom