• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

For those who are looking to build a small town or city, what baseline level is best to work at? Do I want to shave all rock and dirt down to the water level of have people been known to build from elevated heights?

Crispy75

I just checked the pixel map. The status of the 8 cardinal routes is as follows:

N: Clear
NE Clear
E: There's a railway station in the way. Who did that?
SE: Clear
S: Clear
SW: Clear, runs in tunnel to coast.
W: Runs through private property; the 3-wide carriageway is exactly adjacent to the house, and one block clear of the netherrack tower.
NW: Clear, but runs right down the middle of the river past Panda's place. Best to hug one of the banks.

Neighborhood association should forcibly take down the flaming head for not keeping with the town's aesthetic :p

I think we've already seen how well a plan like that goes for the Neighborhood Association. ;P

hot-fuzz-angel.jpg

Crispy75

For those who are looking to build a small town or city, what baseline level is best to work at? Do I want to shave all rock and dirt down to the water level of have people been known to build from elevated heights?

If by the water, best to leave a few blocks elevation IMO. Makes for a more realistic coast - sea walls, sloping beaches etc.

Elsewhere, who cares? :)

Personally, I'd build with the landscape rather than bulldoze it.

I am leaving segments of hilltops and mountains that I can use to build structures but other than that I am flattening out to make the terrain more traversible. Still having a hard time balancing out the land though, and therein lies my dilemma.

Tml Matus

Banned
Thanks, Mengy. :)

GAF, I would like your opinion. I have two choices for build spots for a fortress, and they are:

#1 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/-499/64/-1939/-2/0/0

#2 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/553/64/-1051/-2/0/0

The problem is each has its pros and cons (#2 is much taller than #1 but is also not as isolated from other builds as I would perhaps like, which #1 is) so I'm caught between two things I really love. Any thoughts on what you think would be more interesting to build on? Keep in mind Fortress 1.0 is already on a series of mountains on the main NeoCraft server.

EDIT: I may have found a compromise #3: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/1389/64/-452/-2/0/0

#3, i need some more neighbors lol. I'm that little structure just north west of you on a little island, plan to make a fortified village in that area and a castle on the small hill right beside it.

kennah

Anyone mind if I move into the small mountain range at the edge of the desert near x150 z-1320? Looks like a good spot to rebuild my upside down castle.

Thanks, Mengy. :)

GAF, I would like your opinion. I have two choices for build spots for a fortress, and they are:

#1 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/-499/64/-1939/-2/0/0

#2 - http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/553/64/-1051/-2/0/0

The problem is each has its pros and cons (#2 is much taller than #1 but is also not as isolated from other builds as I would perhaps like, which #1 is) so I'm caught between two things I really love. Any thoughts on what you think would be more interesting to build on? Keep in mind Fortress 1.0 is already on a series of mountains on the main NeoCraft server.

EDIT: I may have found a compromise #3: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/1389/64/-452/-2/0/0

number 2 is right near my little house, its on the other side of that mountain. but i dont really mind having a neighbor. but it seems like your going for 3 anyway.

Yeah, I think #3 is going to be the way to go for me. Looking over my build idea, I need a lot less high elevation and a lot more smoother mountaintop. #2 seems more narrow and hollowed out from the way the land generated in than I'd like.

I'm going to trek out there to check it out this afternoon or evening.

Hey KayJay/Diggeh, if you see this before the next time we're both on, just had a question to ask you about your build since we're going to be neighbors.

-Minsc-

Quick questions:

Anyone planning to do anything with this area of desert north of spawn?

Who has that area marked off to the right and what do you have planned? I'll give more details of what what I have planned when I have the time to think, type and get a rough layout ready.

MinscDesertBuild.png

Fuchsdh

Quick questions:

Who has that area marked off to the right and what do you have planned? I'll give more details of what what I have planned when I have the time to think, type and get a rough layout ready.

MinscDesertBuild.png

I was planning on turning at least some of the desert north into grassland and extending the roads, but other than that I had no building plans.

UF_C

Banned
Quick questions:

MinscDesertBuild.png
i noticed that large square of wall and torches the other day.

Is coming across spawners while caving just pure luck or is their some type of skill involved in searching these things out?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so I have a bunch of enchanted swords and I'm wondering whether I should combine them to improve them. The one I'm using is Unbreaking III, Sharpness IV, Knockback II.

The others are:
Unbreaking III
Sharpness III, Knockback II
Sharpness III, Fire Aspect II
Sharpness III, Looting II
Sharpness IV, Unbreaking III
Sharpness IV, Knockback II
Sharpness IV, Fire Aspect II
Bane of Arthropods IV, Knockback II
Bane of Arthropods IV, Fire Aspect II
Bane of Arthropods IV

Not sure how the combinations on anvils work - even the same swords in a different order have different XP requirements. Any recommendations?

After this I think I'll start enchanting books for applying to armour

Please try the skelly spawner - it really seems to level up quicker than the mushroom biome one - from the spawn portal turn around and follow the small tunnel.

edit: updated the list with more swords. I also left three enchanted books at the spawner - two smite IV and one sharpness III I think.

ShadiWulf

i noticed that large square of wall and torches the other day.

Is coming across spawners while caving just pure luck or is their some type of skill involved in searching these things out?

it's just really luck, if you hear monsters in the walls mine towards them and see if you find a spanwer.

There is also sometimes surface spawners so if you hear monsters during the day it's worth investigating where that noise is coming from, could either be a hidden cave or a spawner. You don't know until you look.

ShadiWulf

Someone Add me to the Gafland server ( _wintersoldier ) and give me the ip please?

IP is in the OP, you have to quote it to see it. Also im sure either Charlie or Ark will be at this topic and seen that you want to be added to the white list, but, you could try PMing one of them too.

Morokh

I guess they must have, there are a couple of iron farms (andyj and panda)

You don't have to find a village for that, you can just cure zombie villagers and create your own 'village' to make the farms work that's what Panda did, and I would assume Andy too.
And I don't recall seeing an iron farm by Panda's place, the setup he has built is for efficient villager trading.

Is it normal that Andy's cow farm is empty btw ? or did someone just kill everything ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You don't have to find a village for that, you can just cure zombie villagers and create your own 'village' to make the farms work that's what Panda did, and I would assume Andy too.
And I don't recall seeing an iron farm by Panda's place, the setup he has built is for efficient villager trading.

Is it normal that Andy's cow farm is empty btw ? or did someone just kill everything ?

ah ok, there were quite a few iron golems wandering around the back balcony of Panda's factory

Someone Add me to the Gafland server ( _wintersoldier ) and give me the ip please?

Added you to the whitelist so you shouild be able to interact and build on the server now. As ShadiWulf says you can get the IP from the server by quoting the OP.

Just popped on today and wow the server is empty. I am off to grief all your stuff :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there no cap on how many mobs can spawn from a spawner? I went AFK while I had lunch - probably a little over an hour, and when I came back there were so many mobs that my framerate was 5fps (usually its over 60).

Sarcasm

The new snapshot is out! https://mojang.com/2014/01/minecraft-snapshot-14w02a/

The first snapshot of Minecraft 1.8 has arrived! This update will be split into two primary focuses: Survival gameplay & improvements, and new fancy abilities for adventure maps! We’ve done a whole bunch of optimizing for both the client and server (with more to come!) and lots more work towards the Plugin API in the background. As this is the very first snapshot of 1.8, do remember to backup your worlds before trying it!

Big survival changes:

3 new stone types!
Major Enchanting & Repairing changes!
Mossy stone bricks recipe!
Updated Villager trading!
Doors stack!
Slime blocks!
Lots of other tweaks, changes, bug fixes and secret features!
Big Adventure Map changes:

Adventure Mode no longer lets you place/destroy blocks.
But that can change!
Added Entity Selectors! Use @e in certain commands to target entities. You can limit it with [type=Chicken] or [type=!Skeleton]
Added a /blockdata command!
Added ‘Lock’ (String) NBT tag on most containers.
Added an optional entity parameter to /kill (try: /kill @e[type=!Player]
Added optional arguments to /clear for max item count (use 0 to not actually delete anything) & NBT data
Lots of other tweaks, changes, bug fixes and secret features!

A picture of one of the new stone in land gen

Where can I find concrete info on the new enchanting & repairing system? Also for the villager trading..

Morokh

It would seem you actually bounce if you fall on the slime block :p

Those new stone blocks are way too ugly, even the polished versions, they look like re-colored netherrack, the one that looks the cleanest has a color way too close to stone.

EDIT : holy crap YES !
j53UGuj.png

Now the cracked and chiseled ones please !

Sarcasm

So dinking around with villager trading..I get experience. I can so far trade for lapis and redstone. I will post if I find anything else.

So far with one villager I can get:

Eye of Ender
Glowstone
lapis
Various color of Wool
Bow (not enchanted so far..saw enchanting fishing rod)
Typical stuff..saw a eff V book you can trade for.

10 villagers..I just would be what was ever last on arrow than continue til I can't click anymore.

Sarcasm

Panda, soon Seekholer is going to be richer than you ! :D

I am missing it..how?

Also from Jeb:

Hey hey
Time to revisit everyone's favorite subject again: Enchanting!
I don't want to go too deep into theorycrafting, so I'll simply explain what's going on in the screenshot. As you can see, enchanting items will now come with a resource cost in addition to enchantment levels. We're currently using gold ingots for this. Also, enchanting now separates requirements from costs, according to these rules:
The level requirement is calculated the same way as before. Max level is still 30
The cost is based on which enchantment power you choose (1 to 3)
One (randomly chosen) enchantment will be displayed in the tooltip
The random seed for enchantments is not reset until you enchant an item
Gaining enchantment levels have been made more expensive again, but you will not pay more than 3 levels when enchanting an item. Obviously repair costs in the anvil have been rebalanced to fit (notably renaming items only costs 1 level).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've got a few PM's already, so just to clarify: GAFland will not be resetting for 1.8. Yeah there will be new stones, but Jeb has been fairly clear that he wants all (most?) new blocks for the next few patches to be both found naturally and craftable with 1.7 materials. He is pretty settled on not making people need to start new worlds for a few patches now. From what I've read granite will be craftable by combining quartz and cobblestone.

Here is a shot of the polished granite, I'm guessing you make it by furnacing granite:

Vggqwr0.png

I hope they add granite slabs and stairs too, because if so then I'm going to be remodeling a whole lot of my ravine....

defel

Unfortunately someone killed all of them and given how tedious it is getting a cow into a 1x1 hole I havent quite found the motivation to breed some more and put them back in. Im going to run out of beef soon so no doubt Ill be compelled to do it soon anyway.

And yes my villagers were cured zombies.

Fuchsdh

Unfortunately someone killed all of them and given how tedious it is getting a cow into a 1x1 hole I havent quite found the motivation to breed some more and put them back in. Im going to run out of beef soon so no doubt Ill be compelled to do it soon anyway.

And yes my villagers were cured zombies.

I live entirely off bread. My avatar must be riddled with scurvy and iron deficiencies.

Mengy

Yeah we have some people not playing nicely in the past few days. Animal pens emptied out with no breeding to replace, some people's fences getting moved or taken down, I had a white horse stolen out of my horse pen, another person's house had a hole in his wall when he logged on.

Remember people, play nice and respect other people's stuff please.

Mik2121

I've got a few PM's already, so just to clarify: GAFland will not be resetting for 1.8. Yeah there will be new stones, but Jeb has been fairly clear that he wants all (most?) new blocks for the next few patches to be both found naturally and craftable with 1.7 materials. He is pretty settled on not making people need to start new worlds for a few patches now. From what I've read granite will be craftable by combining quartz and cobblestone.

Here is a shot of the polished granite, I'm guessing you make it by furnacing granite:

Vggqwr0.png

I hope they add granite slabs and stairs too, because if so then I'm going to be remodeling a whole lot of my ravine....
After seeing this... they should add marble. For the white marble we got quartz which looks similar, but we need dark green marble, pink marble (i guess this granite is enough) and other stuff.

Seanspeed

Banned
So was the person who said that a Fortune-enchanted axe will give you more wood drops just joking around? Everything I'm reading says the opposite, unless this is a very recent feature.

Mengy

Okay, here are the three new types of stone (so far) for the upcoming 1.8:

From left to right: Granite, Diorite, and Andesite, surrounded by the slime block of course.

Apparently the slime blocks work like a trampoline: the higher you fall from the higher you bounce back up. Should make for some fun ways down to the bottom of a mineshaft! I see a super trampoline at spawn with a fall all the way from Y=256 down to bedrock....

Crispy75

So was the person who said that a Fortune-enchanted axe will give you more wood drops just joking around? Everything I'm reading says the opposite, unless this is a very recent feature.

Fortune only works on sources that drop items, not ones that drop blocks. So that's coal, diamond, lapis, emerald, quartz and redstone.

Top Bottom