• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unfortunately someone killed all of them and given how tedious it is getting a cow into a 1x1 hole I havent quite found the motivation to breed some more and put them back in. Im going to run out of beef soon so no doubt Ill be compelled to do it soon anyway.

And yes my villagers were cured zombies.

use a lead?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh wait, enchanting in the snapshot is actually using Lapis, not Gold:

krtNgMP.png

I like that a lot, finally gives Lapis a real use other than for dyes!

Fuchsdh

So wait, regarding the 1.8 update, whenever it gets applied to GAFland we'll just need to go to new places to generate the new chunks that might contain the new block types, correct?

Mengy

So wait, regarding the 1.8 update, whenever it gets applied to GAFland we'll just need to go to new places to generate the new chunks that might contain the new block types, correct?

Yes, but I believe the intention is to also have recipes to craft the new block types too, with 1.7 materials. I think cobble + quartz = granite, I'm not sure what makes the other stones yet. So we might not even have to generate new chunks in order to use the new stones.

MrBig

I haven't played minecraft in a few years so I'm not familiar with this aspect anymore. Can servers easily update existing worlds and was the reason GAFland was restarted for 1.7 because of world generation, or is updating in general a big hassle?

Mengy

I haven't played minecraft in a few years so I'm not familiar with this aspect anymore. Can servers easily update existing worlds and was the reason GAFland was restarted for 1.7 because of world generation, or is updating in general a big hassle?

Worlds now update on the fly as new chunks are explored and generated, you no longer have to start a new map from scratch to get new stuff. But the new stuff won't pop into already explored parts of a world. However, with 1.7 they drastically changed world generation and added lots of new biomes, so since GAFland was still very young we just decided to restart it for 1.7 to get all the new biomes and land generation, which is much better now than it was pre 1.7.

I've had the same single player world since 1.2 and every time an update adds new stuff I just move to new lands. Perpetual nomad.

Ark

We've only ever had two map resets and they were both for huge changes to chunk/world generation. The server has been around since May 2011, the original map was reset when Minecraft went into beta (or went gold, dem timeframes) and Notch changed a lot. The second reset was recently resetting the new survival map because of the changes Jeb & co made to world/chunk generation in 1.7. When Multiverse is back working again, NeoCraft will be back on along-side GAFLand.

belushy

Banned
Okay, here are the three new types of stone (so far) for the upcoming 1.8:

From left to right: Granite, Diorite, and Andesite, surrounded by the slime block of course.

Apparently the slime blocks work like a trampoline: the higher you fall from the higher you bounce back up. Should make for some fun ways down to the bottom of a mineshaft! I see a super trampoline at spawn with a fall all the way from Y=256 down to bedrock....

Yes! Now they just need to give us brick versions of those blocks and we pretty much have Red Rock brick from FTB. New building blocks are always awesome.

UF_C

Banned
Oh wait, enchanting in the snapshot is actually using Lapis, not Gold:

I like that a lot, finally gives Lapis a real use other than for dyes!
Now if only they could find a better use for gravel other than being a complete PITA.

Ark

Crispy, what are you planning on doing for the wings? I'd do some work on completing the ends of the wings as well as the roof, but I don't think you've detailed your vision for that yet.

Crispy75

Crispy, what are you planning on doing for the wings? I'd do some work on completing the ends of the wings as well as the roof, but I don't think you've detailed your vision for that yet.

Good question! Think I'll hop on now and at least outline the external walls.

If it's you that's been finishing off the main facade - thank you :)

belushy

Banned
Panda, your prices in your shop are not messed up, right? I feel like I am screwing you over getting all this diamond stuff for a stack of gold ingots. I haven't used any of it yet in case the prices are wrong. ;P

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah we have some people not playing nicely in the past few days. Animal pens emptied out with no breeding to replace, some people's fences getting moved or taken down, I had a white horse stolen out of my horse pen, another person's house had a hole in his wall when he logged on.

Remember people, play nice and respect other people's stuff please.

Does the server have coreprotect or other anti-grief/tracking mods?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Panda, your prices in your shop are not messed up, right? I feel like I am screwing you over getting all this diamond stuff for a stack of gold ingots. I haven't used any of it yet in case the prices are wrong. ;P

He's getting it from villagers, so don't worry too much :)

Fuchsdh

Yeah I found that out late last night.

Also thew new blocks, like granite..are ugly.

Granite looks... like, well, granite. Not really sure about the additional stone types being necessary, really, but the slime looks like it will make mining a lot less time consuming in theory...

Sarcasm

Granite looks... like, well, granite. Not really sure about the additional stone types being necessary, really, but the slime looks like it will make mining a lot less time consuming in theory...

I meant decorative blocks. The slime ones has actual use =)

ckohler

The slime block is interesting but unless they prevent water breaks from working, I'm not really seeing a use for them. The block may have some interesting redstone properties though, according to that video.

UF_C

Banned
The new crafting system looks great, IMO. its getting slammed from some corners of the inter-webs, but I think its a big step forward. It encourages exploration by making lapis mandatory, makes grinding less important because the creation of tools don't cost as much XP, and you have a bit more control over the enchantment your sword/axe/etc will get. There is now an inherent danger that didn't exist before where you have to go caving or find a village in order to upgrade your tools. Some folks seem to have problems with the new repair mechanic but I like it that enchantments can now be carried over while repairing an item...and I don't mind it much that each time you repair an item they become more expensive to do so.

The one thing I am really going to watch closely is that Mojang has made it more difficult to gain XP levels. But as long as that's balanced, I think the new system looks like a huge upgrade.

Sarcasm

The new crafting system looks great, IMO. its getting slammed from some corners of the inter-webs, but I think its a big step forward. It encourages exploration by making lapis mandatory, makes grinding less important because the creation of tools don't cost as much XP, and you have a bit more control over the enchantment your sword/axe/etc will get. There is now an inherent danger that didn't exist before where you have to go caving or find a village in order to upgrade your tools. Some folks seem to have problems with the new repair mechanic but I like it that enchantments can now be carried over while repairing an item...and I don't mind it much that each time you repair an item they become more expensive to do so.

The one thing I am really going to watch closely is that Mojang has made it more difficult to gain XP levels. But as long as that's balanced, I think the new system looks like a huge upgrade.

In your words can you explain both repairing and enchanting? I don't mind the lapis cost..you can trade for it with villagers. Also they re-did the crafting system? Is it like the consoles now or something?

DukeSucks

I live entirely off bread. My avatar must be riddled with scurvy and iron deficiencies.

Same here, my crappy little base is on a sand island. I got wheat and trees to grow, but no animals to be found. Actually have now idea where I am at on that overworld map :(

Fuchsdh

Speaking of chickens, spawn is multi-minute-delay-before-I-can-open-a-chest-laggy again. Someone's spawner or pen going crazy?

Hey, does anyone have any experience with Command Blocks? I'm trying to make a wall that I can toggle on and off. I know how to use commands to summon a wall of blocks, but what would the command for removing them be like?

UF_C

Banned
In your words can you explain both repairing and enchanting? I don't mind the lapis cost..you can trade for it with villagers. Also they re-did the crafting system? Is it like the consoles now or something?

http://youtu.be/5pQAaHRzq_Q

I found this video to be helpful in explaining the new system. It's about 8 minutes long but it does a good job of laying everything out. What I like...enchanting doesn't cost as much xp. There is still some randomness to it. Finally a use for lapis. You get rewarded for getting to a high level and can use those levels more effectively.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd rather have more variety in block shapes rather than materials. Eg a vertical slab, or a stone gate

I'd also like to be able to make pressure plates and fences etc out of other wood types, and not have them just look like oak. Basically, get the current materials fully fleshed out before adding even more. Especially when 1.7 was supposed to be the big chunk changing one, and here we are a few weeks down the one with more?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That enchanting change looks strange. I'm fine about the laid requirement but it seems arbitrary and random. But the new lower levels requirements sounds like they may nerf XP earning otherwise you'd earn Xp way too easily - mining a couple of seams of coal would get you a fully enchanted tool. That's a bit concerning - why make XP farms, or go mob hunting? And if they don't remove your XP first, everyone should stock up on levels before the server changes over :p

Also it seems like you'd want a bunch of wooden items which you can sacrifice to lv1 enchants to reseed he enchants for your diamond gear.

Still want to hear about the repairing. Seems odd to make that more expensive - it is already pretty expensive, and making it even more expensive while making the initial enchants cheaper seems odd.

Morokh

I'd rather have more variety in block shapes rather than materials. Eg a vertical slab, or a stone gate

I'd also like to be able to make pressure plates and fences etc out of other wood types, and not have them just look like oak. Basically, get the current materials fully fleshed out before adding even more.

whycantwehaveboth.gif :p

I'd definitely agree that some block variants are long overdue, but new block types leading to different looking blocks are always a welcome addition too, it' great for detailing when building, and usually leads to great things in the right capable hands.

Especially when 1.7 was supposed to be the big chunk changing one, and here we are a few weeks down the one with more?
That's kind of a non-issue for all the blocks they introduced for this snapshot, as they can be crafted with 1.7 materials on top of being found in newly generated areas.

Although i'm not a fan of using quartz to craft them, the thing goes away fast already on its own.

As for the look of them, the polished grey one, while being yet another grey block, will blend-in perfectly with the other stone blocks.
The granite and diorite ones, should have their details toned-down for the polished versions, they are way too distracting as it is when placed aside other building blocks.

That enchanting change looks strange. I'm fine about the laid requirement but it seems arbitrary and random. But the new lower levels requirements sounds like they may nerf XP earning otherwise you'd earn Xp way too easily - mining a couple of seams of coal would get you a fully enchanted tool. That's a bit concerning - why make XP farms, or go mob hunting? And if they don't remove your XP first, everyone should stock up on levels before the server changes over :p

Repairing seems way too overpowered in this snapshot as it is.

But the new enchanting mechanics, while it may need some tweaks, has, as someone stated when they talked about it, an interesting twist as it encourages you to survive to keep a high level of XP to not have to grind your way up to 30 levels again.

Same thing with villager trading, with it now giving XP, and now being able to trade common 'trash' mob-farm items, seems a bit overpowered.

Hope some of the 'survival' changes to come balance this out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That still seems very expensive Vs the cost to enchant (3 levels max for basic enchants). It is only cheap if they keep current XP earning the same, but surely they won't if it only takes 3 levels to enchant gear? Just feels unbalanced at the moment and maybe they have more adjustments coming.

And if it's 300 more XP to reach level 30, that's around a 40% increase in required XP for a given level. I guess we still have time for it all to shake out

Edit: morokh - but the new snapshot doesn't encourage surviving as you only need 3XP levels for a max enchant on an item - why would you bother getting to lv30 anymore? Unless I'm misunderstanding it, it makes mob hunting, XP farms etc almost pointless. Lv3 you can get just mining a bit of coal, or smelting some iron.

woolley

From what I'm understanding of it is you have to be a lvl 30 to get the highest enchant but it only takes away 3 levels when you use the enchant.

Morokh

From what I'm understanding of it is you have to be a lvl 30 to get the highest enchant but it only takes away 3 levels when you use the enchant.

This, exactly :)

It means you'll want to stay as high on XP as possible to avoid having to grind every time, should you fail to do that, good ol' XP farms will still be of much needed use.

Ark

Good question! Think I'll hop on now and at least outline the external walls.

If it's you that's been finishing off the main facade - thank you :)

:)

Just finished off the exterior of the ticket hall wing, I'll work on the inside when I get home tonight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This, exactly :)

It means you'll want to stay as high on XP as possible to avoid having to grind every time, should you fail to do that, good ol' XP farms will still be of much needed use.

ah, thats not so bad then. So you can sit at an XP farm and only have to top up 3 levels for each enchant, once you're at 30? Warming up to it now, along with the hint of what enchant you'll get.

Get yourself up to lv30, put your diamond sword in - if you want Looting and it doesn't show in the LV30 enchant, just enchant a wooden sword to level 1, go and level back up to 30 (will take no time at all), rinse and repeat.

Crispy75

ah, thats not so bad then. So you can sit at an XP farm and only have to top up 3 levels for each enchant, once you're at 30? Warming up to it now, along with the hint of what enchant you'll get.

Get yourself up to lv30, put your diamond sword in - if you want Looting and it doesn't show in the LV30 enchant, just enchant a wooden sword to level 1, go and level back up to 30 (will take no time at all), rinse and repeat.

Although as jeb said "Gaining enchantment levels have been made more expensive again" so expect a little more time than no time at all...

Quite detailed notes here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/14w02a

Repairing costs can no longer be kept down by renaming items :(

Mengy

I honestly expected this to get nerfed at some point.

I'm okay with naming not helping anymore though, because the repairing cost is being changed to something reasonable now. I like the new system, it encourages staying alive and guarding your high XP level as something worth living for, and anything that improves the survival game is good to me.

I messed around with the new stone blocks in a creative snapshot last night and I really like all three of them. A lot. They look great as contrasts to stone bricks, especially in all stone builds like underground dwarven themed stuff. I see me using all of them constantly after 1.8 hits. I really hope they add slabs and stairs for all of them too, because that would open up build possibilities IMMENSELY.

Oh, I might not be online for a few days, my internet at home is on the fritz and I don't know how long until the phone company repairs it for me. Stupid farm town hillbilly phone lines...

-Minsc-

I messed around with the new stone blocks in a creative snapshot last night and I really like all three of them. A lot. They look great as contrasts to stone bricks, especially in all stone builds like underground dwarven themed stuff. I see me using all of them constantly after 1.8 hits. I really hope they add slabs and stairs for all of them too, because that would open up build possibilities IMMENSELY.

Since we'll have to either venture to new areas or expend valuable quartz, I wondering if everyone should get a one half to one complementary variety stack (32-64 total, not 32-64 of each type) of the new bricks when the map updates to 1.8. Not too many, but just enough to make up for them not being naturally generated from the beginning.

Crispy75

Since we'll have to either venture to new areas or expend valuable quartz, I wondering if everyone should get a one half to one complementary variety stack (32-64 total, not 32-64 of each type) of the new bricks when the map updates to 1.8. Not too many, but just enough to make up for them not being naturally generated from the beginning.

Not unreasonable. Although it would be pretty simple to use the Nether to visit ungenerated chunks and go mining.

Pachimari

Quick question, as I'm going out to exchange some games. Is Minecraft for Xbox 360 worth getting. Does the disc version get updates even through Xbox live silver?

I got it on PC but it would be nice to play it with friends on the couch. Can I play a normal mode of crafting and surviving the night of the monsters?

Fuchsdh

Quick question, as I'm going out to exchange some games. Is Minecraft for Xbox 360 worth getting. Does the disc version get updates even through Xbox live silver?

I got it on PC but it would be nice to play it with friends on the couch. Can I play a normal mode of crafting and surviving the night of the monsters?

Minecraft for 360 is great. I personally also liked the more limited world spaces, and the more helpful crafting system. The only reason I ditched it for PC is I wanted to create custom texture packs and have more options for sharing images, videos, etc.

Mengy

My personal plan, since I want lots of quartz for my ravine, is to create a branch mine in the nether. After I get a few other things done on my list I'm going to walk off a couple hundred blocks in the nether and make a huge branch mine of 1x2 tunnels every 3 blocks and staggered on top of each other centered. With my fortune pick I've already got a good amount of quartz just from wandering the nether surface, I blast a lot of netherrack for both XP and nether bricks anyway, so it serves two purposes for me. As an infinite resource quartz isn't really hard to gather, it just takes time and adventuring.

But yeah, maybe us mods will have to come up with a way to make it easier for everyone. Maybe I'll just pop into god mode and fly around plopping down veins of the new stones all over the world, LOL.

Crispy75

I'm going to walk off a couple hundred blocks in the nether and make a huge branch mine of 1x2 tunnels every 3 blocks and staggered on top of each other centered.
I don't think I've ever seen a nether quartz ore cluster smaller than 4 blocks in all dimensions, so I reckon you could get away with a 5 block pattern

Top Bottom