• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Pachimari

Minecraft for 360 is great. I personally also liked the more limited world spaces, and the more helpful crafting system. The only reason I ditched it for PC is I wanted to create custom texture packs and have more options for sharing images, videos, etc.
Thanks, just got it. :)

-Minsc-

Here's what I have planned so far for that desert north of spawn.

DesertTownPlan001c.png

Red lines: Wall
Purplish lines: Towers
Blue: Moat

After I build some sort of luxurious residence in the walled area I'll likely divide the remainder area into plots for people to build. Also, peasants will allowed to build outside the wall. Some sort of irrigation system will be in place so the areas within and surrounding the wall will have grassland spreading outward. A yet to be designed aqueduct system will bring fresh water to the town. That be it for now. :)

Fuchsdh

DesertTownPlan001c.png

After I build some sort of luxurious residence in the walled area I'll likely divide the remainder area into plots for people to build. Also, peasants will allowed to build outside the wall. Some sort of irrigation system will be in place so the areas within and surrounding the wall will have grassland spreading outward. A yet to be designed aqueduct system will bring fresh water to the town. That be it for now. :)

Didn't you guys veto my serfs idea? Who's gonna toil for you? :p

Make sure you build a station for the train!

Tml Matus

Banned

DesertTownPlan001c.png

Out of curiosity, how are you gonna get all the water for the moat? I've been thinking of making a bit of a moat for my fortified village as well but doing it with buckets seems like a very inefficient way of going about this.

ckohler

Out of curiosity, how are you gonna get all the water for the moat? I've been thinking of making a bit of a moat for my fortified village as well but doing it with buckets seems like a very inefficient way of going about this.

Filling in water is pretty simple and you only need one bucket.

Just dig out the the area you want to have water one block deep. Nearby, create an infinite water source. Then bring a new water source block with the bucket to every other block in your moat. The water in between those blocks will automatically become source blocks when they touch.

Then, if you want the moat deeper, just dig out the blocks under the completed water and it will automatically flow down to fill the empty space.

Tml Matus

Banned
Filling in water is pretty simple and you only need one bucket.

Just dig out the the area you want to have water one block deep. Nearby, create an infinite water source. Then bring a new water source block with the bucket to every other block in your moat. The water in between those blocks will automatically become source blocks when they touch.

Then, if you want the moat deeper, just dig out the blocks under the completed water and it will automatically flow down to fill the empty space.

Excellent, thanks.

Wired

Excellent, thanks.

Technically you only need two buckets of water, not even the infinite pool although it's a good idea to make one if you mess up.

Say you want to fill whatever, what you do is place the first bucket of water in the first block, then the second in the third block. Now what will happen is that the second block will also become a source block, pick that up with the bucket (it will turn into a source block again) and place it in the fifth block. Rinse and repeat. This way you won't have to run back and forth to the infinite pool and filling things up go really fast. Also, although it's been a while since I did this last I think you even only have to do every other row as the water will interact in such a way that streams turn into source blocks.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit weirdly written, feeling kind of mushy in the head today.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't know how long this has been part of the game, probably since 1.7, but I just discovered I can now use "Desktop Fullscreen" mode in OS X by way of the specific Fullscreen button on the window titlebar and it will go into "Lion Fullscreen" mode instead of using F11 and setting it to normal fullscreen mode which takes over the entire system's graphical interface and disallows tabbing out.

Basically, in the regular fullscreen mode, which you press F11 to activate, Java will take over your display, set your resolution to something else, and disallow you from switching apps until you exit out of fullscreen. As much as I liked this mode, it had the tendency to occasionally freeze up. And when a fullscreen app freezes, you can't kill it. So I would have to force shut down. So I found myself just running windowed more often.

But now I know I have a proper fullscreen desktop mode which adheres to OS X's rules of making the window into a fullscreen "space" that I can switch between with trackpad gestures like a normal OS X user can.

I know it sounds silly to outsiders, but as a Mac user I am very happy. I don't even know how long this feature has been here. I'd been using F11 like a sucker. Which on my Retina Pro would set the display resolution to 1280x800 and looked like shit compared to windowed mode. Now I can run it in the 1920x1200 resolution I'm currently using and not lose any visual quality. Plus I can swipe between apps and have MineCraft on its own space instead of covering my desktop.

I'm so happy now.

For the layman, some visuals...

Basically you click this button:
ibfqf1klhbhpDK.png

And it makes any supported window or app fullscreen, but lets you switch between them with a gesture like iOS on the iPad:

With a swipe to the left or right with four fingers, I can switch between my apps super quick without my hand leaving my trackpad.

Thank you based Jeb.

Now if only I could somehow remap F3. You can remap most other F-commands, but not the others. My F-keys are already taken up by other things, Mojang. Let me change my debug key! If I go into "normal" fullscreen I can hit the F-keys with no trouble because Java is currently taken over the entire system, but in windowed or fullscreen desktop Minecraft is assuming you're not using your F-keys for anything. But I use Better Touch Tool to as assign these keys to open apps and stuff. F3 for me is Sublime Text. So I can't show my debug information unless I hit my normal fullscreen button first then F3 then exit out, or quit BTT. Just let me change that key!

ckohler

Great find Abed! I totally overlooked they added the fullscreen button. It's much better than using Minecraft's fullscreen.

Fuchsdh

I don't know how long this has been part of the game, probably since 1.7, but I just discovered I can now use "Desktop Fullscreen" mode in OS X by way of the specific Fullscreen button on the window titlebar and it will go into "Lion Fullscreen" mode instead of using F11 and setting it to normal fullscreen mode which takes over the entire system's graphical interface and disallows tabbing out.

Basically, in the regular fullscreen mode, which you press F11 to activate, Java will take over your display, set your resolution to something else, and disallow you from switching apps until you exit out of fullscreen. As much as I liked this mode, it had the tendency to occasionally freeze up. And when a fullscreen app freezes, you can't kill it. So I would have to force shut down. So I found myself just running windowed more often.

But now I know I have a proper fullscreen desktop mode which adheres to OS X's rules of making the window into a fullscreen "space" that I can switch between with trackpad gestures like a normal OS X user can.

I know it sounds silly to outsiders, but as a Mac user I am very happy. I don't even know how long this feature has been here. I'd been using F11 like a sucker. Which on my Retina Pro would set the display resolution to 1280x800 and looked like shit compared to windowed mode. Now I can run it in the 1920x1200 resolution I'm currently using and not lose any visual quality. Plus I can swipe between apps and have MineCraft on its own space instead of covering my desktop.

I'm so happy now.

For the layman, some visuals...

Basically you click this button:
ibfqf1klhbhpDK.png

And it makes any supported window or app fullscreen, but lets you switch between them with a gesture like iOS on the iPad:

With a swipe to the left or right with four fingers, I can switch between my apps super quick without my hand leaving my trackpad.

Thank you based Jeb.

Now if only I could somehow remap F3. You can remap most other F-commands, but not the others. My F-keys are already taken up by other things, Mojang. Let me change my debug key! If I go into "normal" fullscreen I can hit the F-keys with no trouble because Java is currently taken over the entire system, but in windowed or fullscreen desktop Minecraft is assuming you're not using your F-keys for anything. But I use Better Touch Tool to as assign these keys to open apps and stuff. F3 for me is Sublime Text. So I can't show my debug information unless I hit my normal fullscreen button first then F3 then exit out, or quit BTT. Just let me change that key!

Am I the only one who has issues with the fullscreen then? I try and use the OS X fullscreen but find that my view will glitch out when I'm looking around, same issue when in windowed mode. Only "true" fullscreen doesn't cause this. (Only thing that might be related is SmoothMouse.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Am I the only one who has issues with the fullscreen then? I try and use the OS X fullscreen but find that my view will glitch out when I'm looking around, same issue when in windowed mode. Only "true" fullscreen doesn't cause this. (Only thing that might be related is SmoothMouse.)
Maybe. Since the game needs to lock the mouse in place. I dunno. It wouldn't make any sense though if normal windowed mode works because Lion Fullscreen is just borderless windowed fullscreen placed into a virtual desktop. I don't now why it cause problems only there.

-Minsc-

Technically you only need two buckets of water, not even the infinite pool although it's a good idea to make one if you mess up.

Say you want to fill whatever, what you do is place the first bucket of water in the first block, then the second in the third block. Now what will happen is that the second block will also become a source block, pick that up with the bucket (it will turn into a source block again) and place it in the fifth block. Rinse and repeat.
This way you won't have to run back and forth to the infinite pool and filling things up go really fast. Also, although it's been a while since I did this last I think you even only have to do every other row as the water will interact in such a way that streams turn into source blocks.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit weirdly written, feeling kind of mushy in the head today.

That was my planned method. :)

Code:
S=Source block

SSS----->

Carry on down the line. :)

Tml Matus

Banned

Say you want to fill whatever, what you do is place the first bucket of water in the first block, then the second in the third block. Now what will happen is that the second block will also become a source block, pick that up with the bucket (it will turn into a source block again) and place it in the fifth block. Rinse and repeat. This way you won't have to run back and forth to the infinite pool and filling things up go really fast. Also, although it's been a while since I did this last I think you even only have to do every other row as the water will interact in such a way that streams turn into source blocks.

thanks for the help guys, just finished digging my ditch , hopeing to get it done today, i'll let you know how it went.

-Minsc-

Are any GAF servers Creative?

Not at the moment. We normally have a survival/creative mix world but it's currently offline due to a multiverse plugin not being compatible with 1.7. Once this plugin is updated it'll allow us to have multiple worlds. :)

So there are reports of some griefing on Gafland, though we don't know who's doing it. ufcraig21's place was damaged tonight, and it seems like someone went there and set his mostly wood house on fire. I couldn't find any natural lava spots around or anything fire-related that could hit it and he says there was no fire anywhere that he put down. Lightning fire damage was turned off, correct?

We've also had some other reports such as Mengy's horse being taken, the signs at spawn being messed with, people's houses being covered in stone blocks. I'm not sure what we could do, but I just wanted to bring it to the thread's attention.

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
Hello everyone. I just got the pc version of minecraft a few days ago. I would love to join you guys. Im not much of a builder but I can help with gathering materials. My name is ExiledMarkzmen so if I can be whitelisted that would be great. = )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So there are reports of some griefing on Gafland, though we don't know who's doing it. ufcraig21's place was damaged tonight, and it seems like someone went there and set his mostly wood house on fire. I couldn't find any natural lava spots around or anything fire-related that could hit it and he says there was no fire anywhere that he put down. Lightning fire damage was turned off, correct?

We've also had some other reports such as Mengy's horse being taken, the signs at spawn being messed with, people's houses being covered in stone blocks. I'm not sure what we could do, but I just wanted to bring it to the thread's attention.

As it is a fairly rare thing, wouldn't something like core protect, or another mod that lets you see who placed a block be useful? Even if you can't rollback changes (although with many tools like coreprotect you can), you'd at least be able to find out who it is and take action if necessary.

-Minsc-

Since it looks like fire damage here's another possibility to look in to. Ark was testing out a command yesterday which strikes mobs down with lightning. Perhaps this somehow bypasses the fire protection similar to how a player can set things on fire with flint and steel.

As for bits of pranking, someone did fill half the main floor of my spawn area home with dirt the other day. It wasn't much dirt so it wasn't a very big deal.

Hi, is there anything I have to do to be put on the Whitelist for GAFLand? I'd be very happy to join if you guys will have me.

I need to know your minecraft username so I can add you to the whitelist. You can either pm me it or just post it in this topic.

Hello everyone. I just got the pc version of minecraft a few days ago. I would love to join you guys. Im not much of a builder but I can help with gathering materials. My name is ExiledMarkzmen so if I can be whitelisted that would be great. = )

Added you to the whitelist so you should be able to interact and build on the server, have fun and look forward to seeing you on there.

-SD-

Banned
Crap... like the total multiplayer newbie that I am (3 years of MC experience, but only in SP), I started a huge project at this location without asking here first. I've progressed quite a bit. How big of a mistake I managed to make?

projectsmpgj.jpg

Mik2121

Crap... like the total multiplayer newbie that I am (3 years of MC experience, but only in SP), I started a huge project at this location without asking here first. I've progressed quite a bit. How big of a mistake I managed to make?

http://abload.de/img/projectsmpgj.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Seems fine to me? If nobody is building below you and there were no signs or anything nearby, I wouldn't worry.

Can I get a whitelist? :)

I have played single player off and on for a couple years. I think the social aspect of MP would help keep my interest a bit longer :)

My MC username is: CylonFleet

Concept17

Is it possible to have my brother join us? His name is Spstinger7795.

And my_doctor if possible. The 3 of us have started and stopped many survival servers on our own, but we've gotten pretty lonely.

Can I get a whitelist? :)

I have played single player off and on for a couple years. I think the social aspect of MP would help keep my interest a bit longer :)

My MC username is: CylonFleet

All sorted you should be able to build and interact with the server now and I for one welcome our new Cylon overlords especially if we can get a bunch of number 6's for everyone on the server (you need to watch Battlestar Galactica to get what I am on about).

There's also quite a bit of people jumping on other peoples crops and not tilling it back into farmland, people taking crops and not replanting, and people taking it upon themselves with tearing down other peoples fences and thus shrinking that person's yard for the inconsiderate person's own benefit.

I don't know where it came from, but it seems like common courtesy and decency went down the shitter a bit when we changed to 1.7.

Concept17

Erm, myself and my brother were banned? What's up?

Was looking forward to building something. Our names are Spstinger7795 and Aicos.

EDIT: and now my friend my_doctor

Ark

There's also quite a bit of people jumping on other peoples crops and not tilling it back into farmland, people taking crops and not replanting, and people taking it upon themselves with tearing down other peoples fences and thus shrinking that person's yard for the inconsiderate person's own benefit.

I don't know where it came from, but it seems like common courtesy and decency went down the shitter a bit when we changed to 1.7.

This always happens with such a huge influx of new users. Most people are fine, but there are one or two bad folk in every bunch. It's a shame, but eventually they filter out.

Erm, myself and my brother were banned? What's up?

Was looking forward to building something. Our names are Spstinger7795 and Aicos.

Because as far as I'm concerned you're a lying griefer. Your "brother" comes on saying he's your friend before changing his story minutes later, he spent his entire time on the server stood at spawn not having moved at all. I tp'd to you once and you were walking around Mirk & Thorn's place; I tp'd to you later on, three time, and it put me on the rail link heading East (in exactly the same place no less) and you were nowhere to be found.

I asked in chat if you were around, I got no reply within a reasonable time. I also checked Mack's place and part of that has taken some fire damage. You were added in yesterday, and the only griefing we've had in years has all occurred since you joined.

I'm trusting my gut on this one.

Concept17

This always happens with such a huge influx of new users. Most people are fine, but there are one or two bad folk in every bunch. It's a shame, but eventually they filter out.

Because as far as I'm concerned you're a lying griefer. Your "brother" comes on saying he's your friend before changing his story minutes later, he spent his entire time on the server stood at spawn not having moved at all. I tp'd to you once and you were walking around Mirk & Thorn's place; I tp'd to you later on, three time, and it put me on the rail link heading East (in exactly the same place no less) and you were nowhere to be found.

I asked in chat if you were around, I got no reply within a reasonable time. I also checked Mack's place and part of that has taken some fire damage. You were added in yesterday, and the only griefing we've had in years has all occurred since you joined.

I'm trusting my gut on this one.

Ummm... wow ok. He was waiting for me in spawn so I could show him where I was building at. I was trying to find my way back, and hopped on one of those rails. At one point I ran across someone's farm, sure. I didn't touch any of it, nor anyone else's when I was checking out the server last night for the first time.

I didn't respond because I had to step away from my computer. I haven't messed with anyone's stuff.

When did this griefing actually happen? I was on yesterday afternoon for about 45 minutes, and then again late last night for about an hour, hour and a half. Again, I haven't touched anyones stuff. I started building my own thing NE of spawn, out near a bunch of water and a couple big mountains.

Ark

Ummm... wow ok. He was waiting for me in spawn so I could show him where I was building at. I was trying to find my way back, and hopped on one of those rails. At one point I ran across someone's farm, sure. I didn't touch any of it, nor anyone else's when I was checking out the server last night for the first time.

I didn't respond because I had to step away from my computer. I haven't messed with anyone's stuff.

When did this griefing actually happen? I was on yesterday afternoon for about 45 minutes, and then again late last night for about an hour, hour and a half. Again, I haven't touched anyones stuff. I started building my own thing NE of spawn, out near a bunch of water and a couple big mountains.

Your friend was waiting on the spawn block for over an hour without even opening his inventory?

Either way I'm probably being too suspicious of you. But we have had some griefing lately, I've unbanned you and your friends. I apologise, that's the first time I've actually banned someone in well over a year.

Concept17

No worries man. I promise it wasn't us. I have no intentions of griefing, nor have I ever in any game. Also I love gaf. :)

My brother was waiting a bit for access, and then for me. I had to rush away from my puter for a bit.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Anyway, we'll try hopping on later, the server is pretty busy atm, and I have to work anyway. :p

If anyone could let me know when/if we have access, I would appreciate it. Names: Aicos, my_doctor, Spstinger7795

Thanks

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
I need to know your minecraft username so I can add you to the whitelist. You can either pm me it or just post it in this topic.

Added you to the whitelist so you should be able to interact and build on the server, have fun and look forward to seeing you on there.

Thank you Charlie! Um to everyone else in this thread. If you guys need any help gathering materials feel free to ask.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mischief's been about, I see. I sure hope nobody has messed with my 1-block high stone outline for my moderately sized house. I'll be terribly upset.

Hi guys! Trying to get into the whole mod thing in Minecraft, and was wondering if there is an easy way of doing it? All the guides I could find were like a year or more old, and I couldn't get it to work.

Me and the miss also have rented a server. Is it possible to get mods working there as well?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if you've reneted a server and it supports mymcadmin, thats a good route to go I think. You can use the mymcadmin web front end to set up plugins and mods that are bukkit compatible for your server.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the past few days I've been building a town hall on my server. Stone bricks and clay bricks. It's awesome looking and very big.

But like every project I have no idea what to put in it. Not furniture wise, but overall.

Does anyone have any examples of town halls and what they put in theirs?

Speaking of furniture, I really wish they'd implement actual chairs and tables and other furniture into the game. Like the stuff I've seen in Magic Farm. We NEED a furniture update.

Fuchsdh

It's the weekend, so that means it's time for another big honkin' pano--

Click to enbiggen.

Going to be working on the eastern wall (with room for a train stop in the south I guess), giving spawn a little more breathing room from the desert, and extending all the roads. If you have spare dirt or gravel, I'll make use of it--dump it in my dropbox at my house, NE corner of spawn.

I can't tell whether charlie is joking or not.

lol ok I admit I had a brain fart I got porkwing confused with ExiledMarkzmen. I thought ExiledMarkzmen was Cylonfleet and porkwing hadn't posted his username.

In my defence I am 42 years old and this all hurts my brain terribly. Hell ya lucky I am still getting the colons in the right place on the whitelist :p

Right just to be on the safe side I have double checked and everyone that wants to be whitelisted has been. Sorry about that porkwing but there is no way I am returning my No. 6 she makes a mean sandwich ;-)

lol ok I admit I had a brain fart I got porkwing confused with ExiledMarkzmen. I thought ExiledMarkzmen was Cylonfleet and porkwing hadn't posted his username.

In my defence I am 42 years old and this all hurts my brain terribly. Hell ya lucky I am still getting the colons in the right place on the whitelist :p

Right just to be on the safe side I have double checked and everyone that wants to be whitelisted has been. Sorry about that porkwing but there is no way I am returning my No. 6 she makes a mean sandwich ;-)

All is forgiven. :) Enjoy your model.

Top Bottom