• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

Reclaimation of the desert north of spawn has gone swimmingly, nearly 2/3rds done now. There's all types of trees growing there so please replant whatever you chop down. I've extended all the eastern roads slightly, but they're not yet finished. If anyone has spare gravel or dirt, send it my way if you can :)

masud

Banned
Right after finding my first saddle I get lag killed by a zombie. Also lost full diamond armor and a enchanted sword. Went back a searched the mineshaft where it happened for 20 minutes and couldn't find the stuff. This game...

-Minsc-

Right after finding my first saddle I get lag killed by a zombie. Also lost full diamond armor and a enchanted sword. Went back a searched the mineshaft where it happened for 20 minutes and couldn't find the stuff. This game...

Items despawn after five minutes in loaded chunks. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Lag always scares me when I'm building bridges over lava in the nether. I pretty much take nothing with me except a pick just in case.

Fusch, how far north are you reclaiming? I'm in the desert around 1280

..and literally a couple of hours after saying that, and I fall in the lava in the nether, still carrying all my diamond gear (although it wasn't lag, a ghast blew the nether bridge from under me). Luckily I had fire protection IV and generally decent protection all round, so I could actually swim to shore and survived. I didn't realise that was possible so I was shitting myself as I fell. I actually had a potion of flame resistance but forgot all about it in my panic

OK, I have started to build in the mesa biome. Its an INN. Its still early stages but I always get there from spawn using the rail system (which is incomplete).

I dont know if it was Crspy75 who made those rails, but would he or anyone else mind if I would make the minecart stop near my INN so even after the rail goesa on I could just stop there?

I would of course build a small station, to any specification desired, so the train could continue afterwards.

If you want to check it out, just tpa to me when Im on. Im usually there anyways.

Thanks

Schlocky

Hey would I be able to get whitelisted on the server? Messed around in SP for years and kinda was oblivious to how much cooler MP looks till having a wander round gafland earlier on!

Ark

OK, I have started to build in the mesa biome. Its an INN. Its still early stages but I always get there from spawn using the rail system (which is incomplete).

I dont know if it was Crspy75 who made those rails, but would he or anyone else mind if I would make the minecart stop near my INN so even after the rail goesa on I could just stop there?

I would of course build a small station, to any specification desired, so the train could continue afterwards.

If you want to check it out, just tpa to me when Im on. Im usually there anyways.

Thanks

I'm sure that'd be fine, that's what the rail system is there for :)

That particular rail probably needs to be moved one block over to either side at the station though.

Hey would I be able to get whitelisted on the server? Messed around in SP for years and kinda was oblivious to how much cooler MP looks till having a wander round gafland earlier on!

I'd be happy to, if you could provide your Minecraft username :)

Fuchsdh

Lag always scares me when I'm building bridges over lava in the nether. I pretty much take nothing with me except a pick just in case.

Fusch, how far north are you reclaiming? I'm in the desert around 1280

Not that far, at least for now :p I've marked off with cobble wall where I'm stopping. Might extend it to the eastern wall eventually after I've built it and the roads to it.

Schlocky

I'm sure that'd be fine, that's what the rail system is there for :)

That particular rail probably needs to be moved one block over to either side at the station though.

I'd be happy to, if you could provide your Minecraft username :)

its Schlocky, cheers!

Hey guys, any chance I could get added? Been getting back into Minecraft recently and I would love to be part of a server and playing with others as it's been so long since I last did that.

My Minecraft username is Cjdamon042. Thanks!

Crispy75

Phase one of the Gafland Metro is now operational. From GAF central, the Circle Line provides quick and safe access to Panda's shop and the Zombie Grinder right on the West coast. Further stations and lines coming soon.

tjjCsCT.png

Phase one of the Gafland Metro is now operational. From GAF central, the Circle Line provides quick and safe access to Panda's shop and the Zombie Grinder right on the West coast. Further stations and lines coming soon.

tjjCsCT.png

Sweet. The red line probably will be the one I hook my fortress up to.

Fuchsdh

tjjCsCT.png

Cool. I'll probably route the north one to stop by the food farm.

Crispy75

I've put a chest in the Customer Information booth at Central, for the storing of carts. I used up all my iron on tracks, so it's Bring Your Own at the moment.

Fuchsdh

I've put a chest in the Customer Information booth at Central, for the storing of carts. I used up all my iron on tracks, so it's Bring Your Own at the moment.

Anyone got a supply of gold? The powered rails are what's going to kill me. You need a powered railed every what number of blocks?

Also going to have to fence off the rails from the mobs or take it underground I guess...

Hey guys, any chance I could get added? Been getting back into Minecraft recently and I would love to be part of a server and playing with others as it's been so long since I last did that.

My Minecraft username is Cjdamon042. Thanks!

All sorted you should be able to interact and build on the server now (bet people are sick of me saying this :p)

masud

Banned
Anyone got a supply of gold? The powered rails are what's going to kill me. You need a powered railed every what number of blocks?

Also going to have to fence off the rails from the mobs or take it underground I guess...

It's like every 38 blocks or so for max speed on a straight flat track I think, not that bad.

Fuchsdh

It's like every 38 blocks or so for max speed on a straight flat track I think, not that bad.

Cool. I was hearing 16.

I guess since Crispy stuck the station out a bit I'll extend the grasslands to it so it's not in the middle of the desert. Maybe build a small station plan I'll copy for other places.

Also, Crispy, what are the extra tracks for? We've got five tracks for N/S. Is one just extra? (Might turn it into an express line then.)

Wired

Maybe we should set up a wither skeleton farm in the nether, pigmen should spawn in that and give us free gold nuggets. Or am I mistaken in my thinking? not sure, i tend to stay out of the nether :p

So as a new member, is there anything I should know? Obviously no trolling and blowing other peoples' shit up and replanting trees after knocking them down are rules. But what about building things? Do I just claim a piece of land? What if people object to where I want to build? I just don't want to walk in and start doing things like I own the place lol

Crispy75

Cool. I was hearing 16.

I guess since Crispy stuck the station out a bit I'll extend the grasslands to it so it's not in the middle of the desert. Maybe build a small station plan I'll copy for other places.

Also, Crispy, what are the extra tracks for? We've got five tracks for N/S. Is one just extra? (Might turn it into an express line then.)

I had no specific plans for any of the tracks, except the circle. It's up to everybody what they connect them to :)

So as a new member, is there anything I should know? Obviously no trolling and blowing other peoples' shit up and replanting trees after knocking them down are rules. But what about building things? Do I just claim a piece of land? What if people object to where I want to build? I just don't want to walk in and start doing things like I own the place lol

I'd say the only "rule" would be careful not to build where a main road is going to go. Otherwise just get stuck in!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Does anyone know of a good mod tutorial? I want to install shaders but am not sure how. Also, does the server I play also have to have mods enabled to work? Thanks for the help!

Fuchsdh

Now open: the first stop of the N/S (Orange) line is a short trip from GAF Central to whoever's big autofarm is up north in the desert. Currently one way, but I'll be building a rail back as well.

Beyond that, if anyone wants to be on the northern/southern line, send some gold and iron my way and I can make it happen. :) Otherwise I'm going to continue extending the roads and building the eastern (anti-Mengy) wall.

Mik2121

Now open: the first stop of the N/S (Orange) line is a short trip from GAF Central to whoever's big autofarm is up north in the desert. Currently one way, but I'll be building a rail back as well.

Beyond that, if anyone wants to be on the northern/southern line, send some gold and iron my way and I can make it happen. :) Otherwise I'm going to continue extending the roads and building the eastern (anti-Mengy) wall.

Looking great. I'd love to have a line that goes to the small fortress islands west of spawn (-893, 68, 133) (west if the player starts looking north, anyway). Maybe the line that goes to the Mesa Inn could also cross to the other side and come this way, and maybe have a small artificial island with the station (I don't want it in my small island, it's too crowded already).

Oh and yeah, maybe the subway would have to be underground. Having a path going above the sea could look ugly...

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
What software do you all use to diagram your construction ahead of time? I don't do any extensive planning for my structures, which often means they end up looking a bit wonky. Any (free) software suggestions?

Crispy75

What software do you all use to diagram your construction ahead of time? I don't do any extensive planning for my structures, which often means they end up looking a bit wonky. Any (free) software suggestions?

Nothing more complicated than Paint.net
Even plain old Paint will do - anything wher you can zoom in and paint individual pixels.

-Minsc-

- For basic shapes like circles, domes, spheres, etc. there's Minecraft Structure Planner. The program appears to have been abandoned so it's a little out of date. That said, it's great for planning such things as mentioned above.

- Image editor: I recently started using Gimp to assist laying out a top plan view. While Gimp no doubt lacks in features compared to Photoshop, it is free and more than suits my needs.

- MCEdit: World editor. As much as I'd like to do everything hands on in MC, in the planning stage it's nice to have the ability to quickly edit the terrain on a larger scale. While I haven't use it much yet, here's a handy filter for MCEdit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUzeblbNQs

Morokh

I usually tend to build small/medium sized things and i'm not quite good with very big builds.

To work out shapes on a 2D plan, I use Excel/OpenOffice Calc, modify the cells to be square, and add background color.

For circles/domes/spheres there are some handy little web based programs out there (just google 'minecraft circles' 'minecraft shperes' or whatever and you'll find them easily), there is also some free phone apps.

Then Minecraft Creative mode is your friend to put it all together, adjust the shapes and work out the materials and the bulk of the details.

MCedit/World edit can be quite handy when you have a build and want to experiment different things with it as you'll be able to copy/paste it every time without having to completely start over.

Schlocky

Got on the server last night and really didn't want to come off, didn't think playing MP would make building so much more fun (especially as I was beavering away in the clay alone for most of the evening) but it seems way more fun than any world of my own ever has. Something inspiring about seeing someone else's progress on the horizon.

Also the train station is bloody marvellous!

Have a look at minecraft structure planner. It's what I use to calculate all my domes. I use it for basic geometric shapes but it can be used to plan out whole builds :-

http://minecraftstructureplanner.com/

Got on the server last night and really didn't want to come off, didn't think playing MP would make building so much more fun (especially as I was beavering away in the clay alone for most of the evening) but it seems way more fun than any world of my own ever has. Something inspiring about seeing someone else's progress on the horizon.

Also the train station is bloody marvellous!

:-D glad you are enjoying the server Schlocky. That is exactly how I felt when I first started on neocraft/gafland. Up till that point I was a single player only kinda guy but after spending time on the Neogaf server I find it hard to ever go back to Single player.

Crispy75

glad you are enjoying the server Schlocky. That is exactly how I felt when I first started on neocraft/gafland. Up till that point I was a single player only kinda guy but after spending time on the Neogaf server I find it hard to ever go back to Single player.
Ditto (although I've played SMP before, it was a very quiet server, lucky to have more than 1 other person online at a time). Even when you're playing on your own, the fact you're sharing the world and have a chatroom onscreen makes it much more enjoyable. Love it :)

Fuchsdh

Looking great. I'd love to have a line that goes to the small fortress islands west of spawn (-893, 68, 133) (west if the player starts looking north, anyway). Maybe the line that goes to the Mesa Inn could also cross to the other side and come this way, and maybe have a small artificial island with the station (I don't want it in my small island, it's too crowded already).

Oh and yeah, maybe the subway would have to be underground. Having a path going above the sea could look ugly...

I'm happy to work on it if you can supply me with iron and gold.

-Minsc-

Might I suggest a Glass or Stained Glass tunnel?

Staab

Might be able to use my tunnel, it goes all the way from the west end of spawn to your islands and further west to the second island cluster.
Then again it would be a lot prettier in a glass tunnel :p

Crispy75

I have found a Zombie spawner almost directly under my house :)
Am building an XP grinder, which should help alleviate the queues at the others during busy times. It'll be on the Metro, but is almost walking distance from Spawn.

Crispy75

What are people's opinions on using mapping apps to locate mob spawners?

Specifically what are people's opinions on knowledge of a potential site for a very productive XP grinder?

Each of the red dots is a mob spawner, with Y coordinate unknown. There's got to be at least a double spawner possible here, maybe even a triple or quad if we're really lucky with the vertical spacing.

6W4yl8A.png

Soooooo, could we get an updated snapshot view of the world???

Mmm, would be very nice :)
I'm happy to make and upload maps again.

woolley

If using a program like that is something that people like to use its fine with me but its not something I would ever use. It takes the fun out of the game for me.

UF_C

Banned
Is there tracks near my location? I am near UFC. If so there is a skele spawner I made..pretty fast too.
Not yet. Perhaps all those in that surrounding area have a town hall to decide where the metro stop(s) should be?

Can someone create a map of the surrounding area. I think so far we have Pickle, Mack, you, and me out there. Would like to see who else and where they are so the stops can be really well planned out.

Top Bottom