• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

So looking at the track layout, it seems like there's just not a good place to put a bi-directional westerly rail line from GAF Central. Perhaps the terminus for such a line should be at the spawner stop of the circle line, and use that as the hub for any western lines? I can upload a rail map if that makes it clearer my intentions.

UF_C

Banned
So looking at the track layout, it seems like there's just not a good place to put a bi-directional westerly rail line from GAF Central. Perhaps the terminus for such a line should be at the spawner stop of the circle line, and use that as the hub for any western lines? I can upload a rail map if that makes it clearer my intentions.
is there just too much stuff underground from GAF Central to make it work?

Fuchsdh

is there just too much stuff underground from GAF Central to make it work?
Well the top set of tracks are all oriented eastward. Right now there's a free track in the lower levels but there's only one hence no easy return (might make sense as an express track). So if we use one of the east-facing lines we have to turn it around and tunnel a U-turn going the other direction--unless Im missing a key aspect of Crispy's grand design! (Entirely possible!)

Crispy75

Well the top set of tracks are all oriented eastward. Right now there's a free track in the lower levels but there's only one hence no easy return (might make sense as an express track). So if we use one of the east-facing lines we have to turn it around and tunnel a U-turn going the other direction--unless Im missing a key aspect of Crispy's grand design! (Entirely possible!)

Well, I didn't anticipate much Westward travel. The Circle goes as far as the West Coast zombie grinder, and then comes back via my place (under construction).

There's 4 available tracks (right now) pointing North and 4 pointing South, so you could just use one of those and take a sharp turn.

Fuchsdh

Well, I didn't anticipate much Westward travel. The Circle goes as far as the West Coast zombie grinder, and then comes back via my place (under construction).

There's 4 available tracks (right now) pointing North and 4 pointing South, so you could just use one of those and take a sharp turn.

Ah I must have miscounted the number of tracks then.

EDIT: Okay so we've got enough tracks downstairs for a N/S line, a W line, and then there's one extra track and the far end of the platform that's open for anyone. I'm going to be bringing the first N and S bound tracks online, and after that people are gonna' hafta pay to get connected to the rail :)

defel

Enderman farm kinda done. That is all.

Spawn rates are very low unfortunately, Im thinking its bukkit related

Crispy75

My zombie XP grinder is now operational. Most convenient from spawn, I reckon.

3EmcAtH.png

Just take the SW road into the sandy hill, head through the iron door to my my house and follow the signs.

ShamePain

Banned
Can someone help me? Can't seem to be able to play on the server anymore, I'm constantly getting an error message "Connection reset by peer". Any advice?

Fuchsdh

I am also getting that....its been really playable last few days too!

I'm getting the same massive delay as before around spawn--it takes 30-40 seconds to open a chest. Does anyone have any spawners or grinders that aren't turned off/full of entities?

I don't know about you people but that map reminds me of the first Sim City game.

Yeah, it does now that you remind me.

Here's a really rough metro map of the lines so far--the east line terminates at the Red San Inn currently but it's way out there proportionately, even by the squished standards of rail maps. Dotted lines are stations/lines not yet connected.

R7YUS1h.png

ckohler

I'm thinking of making a giant creeper statue on top of the public grinder. As a test, I used a little dirt outline to show the size from a few vantage points.

Here is how big it would be when looking at the building:
G1ANNHS.jpg

Here is what it would look like from spawn:
Bj5J1mm.jpg

And here is what it might look like completed.
ZhMLaH2.jpg

Is something like this too gaudy? Or is there a better idea for something to put above the grinder building? I just kinda want to put something cool above the building that can be seen from a distance but not something you're meant to get close to (because getting too close to the building slows down its output).

Crispy75

Here's a really rough metro map of the lines so far--the east line terminates at the Red San Inn currently but it's way out there proportionately, even by the squished standards of rail maps. Dotted lines are stations/lines not yet connected.

R7YUS1h.png

I like it :)

-Minsc-

I'm thinking of making a giant creeper statue on top of the public grinder. As a test, I used a little dirt outline to show the size from a few vantage points.

Is something like this too gaudy? Or is there a better idea for something to put above the grinder building? I just kinda want to put something cool above the building that can be seen from a distance but not something you're meant to get close to (because getting too close to the building slows down its output).

Hmm, I have no problems with giant creepers on their own but I have a hard time shaking this feeling it'll clash with the overall theme of spawn. Not sure what to recommend you do with your building.

Ensirius

Hmm, I have no problems with giant creepers on their own but I have a hard time shaking this feeling it'll clash with the overall theme of spawn. Not sure what to recommend you do with your building.

I'd say instead of being a GIANT creeper make it a "medium" creeper, that way it will be as harsh on the eyes from every direction.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd say instead of being a GIANT creeper make it a "medium" creeper, that way it will be as harsh on the eyes from every direction.

And maybe instead of making it the actual true colors (greens and white and such) give it more of a stone look. Like use stone bricks, cobble, smooth stone, both dark and light grey clay, like that. Instead of making it look like an actual giant creeper make it look like a giant stone statue of a creeper.

-Minsc-

And maybe instead of making it the actual true colors (greens and white and such) give it more of a stone look. Like use stone bricks, cobble, smooth stone, both dark and light grey clay, like that. Instead of making it look like an actual giant creeper make it look like a giant stone statue of a creeper.

Ver 1.8 is sounding perfect for this.

Sarcasm

Authentication servers are down supposedly...noooooooooooooo

Also failed to verify my username (which I assume is related to ^)

Crispy75

I like this idea :)

Skinpop

Is the server running 1.8(snapshot)? Can I join? I've had minecraft since alpha, haven't played for the last 18 months or so but starbound made me wanna dig in 3d again.

My username is Bestmannen.

Crispy75

The server is running 1.7.4
You can edit your profile in the launcher to manually set which version of Minecraft you want to run.

defel

Panda just incase you didnt notice my request in the shop, it would be great to get a couple of stacks of normal ice blocks. Im willing to pay your worth in gold for the exchange :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Panda just incase you didnt notice my request in the shop, it would be great to get a couple of stacks of normal ice blocks. Im willing to pay your worth in gold for the exchange :D

If you go through the portal at spawn and follow the signs to the ice spike biome, there is some there (you'll need a silk touch pick of course). If you don't have one, let me know how much you need and I can go mine it for you when I'm on later. I have 38 in my chest at home but can get more

UF_C

Banned
Reclaimation of the desert north of spawn has gone swimmingly, nearly 2/3rds done now. There's all types of trees growing there so please replant whatever you chop down. I've extended all the eastern roads slightly, but they're not yet finished. If anyone has spare gravel or dirt, send it my way if you can :)

I left you a chest full of dirt at your front door. I'm going through a huge excavation project at my home base so I'll have plenty more for you later tonight if you want it.

belushy

Banned
Anyone have an update overworld map that shows everything that has been discovered thus far?

edit: from an external program, not in-game.

Fuchsdh

I left you a chest full of dirt at your front door. I'm going through a huge excavation project at my home base so I'll have plenty more for you later tonight if you want it.

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll keep pushing the desert up north, but I definitely aim to infill some of the desert so close to GAF Central. With that done we should have some nice grasslands padding on most sides.

I'd like to know this, too. And how are those maps made, by the way?

Usually Mengy downloads the current world from the server then loads that world up into a program called Overviewer which renders loads of pictures of the map at various levels of zoom. Now depending on settings it can take anywhere from between 30mins to 6 hours. So it isn't a trivial thing to do.

But I am sure Mengy is on the job, aint ya Mengy ;-)

There is a real time map generator called Dynamap but right now that is incompatible with the verison of Minecraft we are running. Once it becomes compatible again I am sure we will switch to that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Usually Mengy downloads the current world from the server then loads that world up into a program called Overviewer which renders loads of pictures of the map at various levels of zoom. Now depending on settings it can take anywhere from between 30mins to 6 hours. So it isn't a trivial thing to do.

But I am sure Mengy is on the job, aint ya Mengy ;-)

Actually yeah, it should be updated by very late tonight. Depending on how fast my DSL uploads it.

Hey, I just PM'd someone but I figured I might as well post here to help out. If I could be added to the Whitelist for GAFLand, I'd be thrilled. My minecraft name is EskimoJoe123.

Is the server running 1.8(snapshot)? Can I join? I've had minecraft since alpha, haven't played for the last 18 months or so but starbound made me wanna dig in 3d again.

My username is Bestmannen.

Added you to the whitelist so you should be able to build and interact with the server.

Hey, I just PM'd someone but I figured I might as well post here to help out. If I could be added to the Whitelist for GAFLand, I'd be thrilled. My minecraft name is EskimoJoe123.

Just added you to the whitelist too so you are good to go. Don't forget to save your position on the map with the /sethome command and to teleport back to that position use the /home command. Anyway hope you both enjoy the server.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Could people please post the coordinates of any Nether portals they've built (or run across) in the overworld?

I'd like to find some quartz to mine in the Nether, and I know finding an undisturbed area in the Nether will be easier if I build a portal a sufficient distance from other players' portals in the overworld.

Edit: Here are the two most obvious ones:

Spawn

x: -94
y: 59 (surface access)
z: -206​

Ice Spike Biome

x: 4404
y: 70 (surface access)
z: -792​

Pachimari

I'm still pretty new at Minecraft (started playing it last month on PC, Mac and Xbox 360), so I'm scared of joining you guys even though I really want to. =/

woolley

It would probably be a lot quicker just to walk in the nether to find a new place. You would have to walk really far in the overworld to get to a new chunk in the nether. I see a lot of quarts all the time and I haven't even gone much further than the fortress.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Could people please post the coordinates of any Nether portals they've built (or run across) in the overworld?

I'd like to find some quartz to mine in the Nether, and I know finding an undisturbed area in the Nether will be easier if I build a portal a sufficient distance from other players' portals in the overworld.

Edit: Here are the two most obvious ones:

Spawn

x: -94
y: 59 (surface access)
z: -206​

Ice Spike Biome

x: 4404
y: 70 (surface access)
z: -792​

the main ones are linked up to the spawn portal, just take a walk around and have a look - there are around 6-7 there at least.

and probably best to just wander off in a direction in the nether and build a branch mine or something.

Pachimari

Guys, I'm playing the PC version again, and have built myself some furnaces. I put in coal and sand but it won't create glass - so how do I get my windows? =/

Crispy75

The circle line is now complete in both directions, so I'm laying down my railway tools and getting on with actually building my own place :) It will be sandy.

I still have lots of powered rail left over, so hit me up for that if you're doing a railway line.

Pachimari

Oh wait, I have sandstones. How can I make it into clean sand to make glass?

Also, can I be part of your server guys?

My name is: Marialtha

Crispy75

Oh wait, I have sandstones. How can I make it into clean sand to make glass?

Also, can I be part of your server guys?

My name is: Marialtha

You can turn sand into sandstone (2x2 arrangement in crafting) and sandstone into smooth sandstone (2x2 again), but you can't go back the other way.

Top Bottom