• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Feet position. Hit F3, it'll be the first "y" number.

Save your shovels where you can folks. On the big hills I clear out a two block high layer of sandstone, place down torches and then proceed to mine away the rest of the sandstone above. This lets the sand fall on the torches, saving you time and money. ;)

done. Now I need to earn 66 levels to repair my pick and shovel..

Xun

mc1_zps57c3adec.png

Had a great night exploring. The new biomes are amazing, and my base is trash compared to all of the amazing bases on here. Kudos to whoever's castle this is.
Thanks for the compliment jaxapollo!

masud

Banned
Progress and plans thus far on my desert town. :)

- Outer wall and towers are marked out. Basic markings for the inner walls are down, no point marking it out anymore as it's pretty straight forward.
- Begun leveling off the space within the wall. My current plan is to shave the terrain down to Y: 74 (feet). This will allow variation in the landscape. The base of the wall will start at Y: 70 (feet) and will keep it at a uniform height. Since the surrounding terrain will vary from Y: 64-74 additional land conditioning will be required. Unsure if I'll do the moat, will have to see if I can make it work with the rolling terrain.
- Once the terrain is leveled I'll begin wall construction.

The wall construction and terrain leveling is my focus for now. Once this stage complete I'll be able to get a better grasp of what I have to work with.

Strong backs are welcome. If you're interested in helping give me a shout. :)

Will work for sand.

Vyktal

Hey guys, I bought Minecraft a couple weeks back and have really been enjoying mucking around and building castles on mountains.

I'm interested in doing multiplayer (which I currently have no idea about) and I also like the idea of checking things out on the NeoGaf Minecraft server! Would I be able to join you guys on your server, and if so what's the average donations cost per player to keep it going?

Cheers

-Minsc-

It's really up to the person. Some never donate, others donate way more than their fair share. One months server rental is always a good bet. :) I'm not sure how much that is though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Awesome.

Looking at it now I may take it down another 2-3 layers. I'll decide that later when I have more time to sit down in MC.

yeah it looked a little high in places. If you do decide to do that, ping on here and I'll have another hack at it. Quite relaxing when you have an efficiency IV pick/shovel.

GenericUser

I'm on PS3, GMT+1, decent english (buy my german is awesome!), PSN ID:sponksta

kinda laid-back gamer, I play just for fun, more or less a weekend warrior

Cmagus

I'm interested in joining the gaf server although I'm not that familiar with the multiplayer aspect of the game as I mostly play solo my username is EightCorova.

Tml Matus

Banned
It's really up to the person. Some never donate, others donate way more than their fair share. One months server rental is always a good bet. :) I'm not sure how much that is though.

Can i know how much it is for a month worth of server uptime? ... been on the server for like 6 months and i'd like to pay it back a bit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can i know how much it is for a month worth of server uptime? ... been on the server for like 6 months and i'd like to pay it back a bit.

I think the server is on multiplay? In that case,for a 20 player server it's between £12-15 depending on how long you pay for up front. Could be a little more if it is using more RAM than standard too.

Did one of the recent updates change the distance over which charge is carried by redstone? I ask because I went back to my single player game (untouched for five months), to find my rudimentary attempt at piston doors didn't work any more. I had to fiddle about with the redstone and some repeaters to fix it.

Just a quick shout out to mrklaw for holding my hand in the nether!

Ooh, lots of lava! Boy this stuff breaks quickly... dang, looks like I created a lava flow. Good thing I have my water bucket. WAT, my water... it does nothing!

Did one of the recent updates change the distance over which charge is carried by redstone? I ask because I went back to my single player game (untouched for five months), to find my rudimentary attempt at piston doors didn't work any more. I had to fiddle about with the redstone and some repeaters to fix it.

There has been some change when comperators were introduced, but I don't know enough about redstone to tell you exactly what.

Fuchsdh

I was wondering about that too, because my piston doors work but the old way of attaching a lever to mob proof the opening mechanism no longer works.

Vyktal

Hrm, I can't seem to get in! It keeps saying Internal Exception: java.IOException: Connection reset by peer.

I've tried both Direct COnnect and Join Server and it's not working. It comes up with words under the server title saying "hey bick!" and there's red numbers 1.6.4 and a cross through the wireless symbol.

Do I need to do something fancy to my router?

Ark

I think the server is on multiplay? In that case,for a 20 player server it's between £12-15 depending on how long you pay for up front. Could be a little more if it is using more RAM than standard too.

The average server monthly cost is ~£20, but I always pay for 3 months up-front.

Hey guys, I bought Minecraft a couple weeks back and have really been enjoying mucking around and building castles on mountains.

I'm interested in doing multiplayer (which I currently have no idea about) and I also like the idea of checking things out on the NeoGaf Minecraft server! Would I be able to join you guys on your server, and if so what's the average donations cost per player to keep it going?

Cheers

As Minsc said, there isn't really an average donation amount. If you'd like to donate just throw in whatever you feel is reasonable.

Vyktal

Thanks Ark.

mrklaw, it may indeed be the old server. I quoted the first post from this thread, maybe I need to find a post deeper in for the new server

Mirk

WTF is wrong with your server ark!?! It has restarted 4 times within the last hour and rolled back :( I have lost so must work with redstone.

Ya, first time I had issues with the server was tonight. I felt bad when we'd come back to lose work but spawn in the same position with players suffocating in walls and taking unscheduled detours through lava. Hopefully it gets itself sorted.

trinest

Just had a look at the server, I think I had a look at one of the older ones ages ago but never got white listed I don't think. So would like to be white listed for this one (trinest).

How do you guys play? I assume you have strict rules on where everyone does stuff?

I modified my home so the western path leading out of spawn and towards the ocean so it could be fully complete and not having my giant stone home/whatchacallit protruding in the middle of it. I also filled and completed as much as I could since I didn't have much gravel.

Mirk

Mengy is there a new bukkit update or anything? It seems redstone is broke. The contraption I built on a 1.7.4 creative server will just not work on gafland. The timing is all off I have tried everything I can think of.
It works once or twice then it goes all crazy. Its not the lag I have been able to test it with massive lag. The only thing I can think of is there is a bug with bukkit but trying to check there database is like finding a needle in a hay stack lol.

UF_C

Banned
Built a new metro line out of GAF central. It heads north for about 350 blocks then due east about 200 blocks or so with the majority of it underground. I'm working on the metro stop at my house tomorrow/Monday. Plans to then connect all the folks in that area with one senate, localized railway are in the works.

If you are out my way and want to be included on the NE Local Line please reply to this post. Also note that I only use union workers so there may be unexplained delays and it probably won't be finished on time. :).

Ensirius

Hey thanks to whoever got me a nice little brewing table. It was such a nice surprise.

Somebody put a block of sand on my cow fence and now all my cows are gone.

The average server monthly cost is ~£20, but I always pay for 3 months up-front.

As Minsc said, there isn't really an average donation amount. If you'd like to donate just throw in whatever you feel is reasonable.

Thanks for letting me know the ammount. Donated 20 pounds. :)

Even though Charlie had to be reminded yesterday I was already a donor. :p

PS - Everyone should donate because Ark is awesome, but the /back command alone makes it worth it :D

Just had a look at the server, I think I had a look at one of the older ones ages ago but never got white listed I don't think. So would like to be white listed for this one (trinest).

How do you guys play? I assume you have strict rules on where everyone does stuff?

Added you to the whitelist so you can interact with the server now. As for rules and how we play, it is a very informal place. Most people head off and find a bit of land and build. We will eventually have some "community" projects which will have a theme and people are welcome to take part in them (it is not mandatory).

The only hard and fast rule is respect other peoples work. Don't intentionally go out to ruin peoples builds or game. If you accidentally damage something then try to repair it. If you are unable to repair it leave a sign and the materials.

There are various farms which you can use but if you do harvest wheat/potatoes etc then resow the fields after so they are ready for the next person. That is about it really, just login and have fun is what Gafland is all about.

One other thing beds do not currently work so to set your home point use the command /sethome then when you want to return at any point you can use the /home command. Have fun.

WTF is wrong with your server ark!?! It has restarted 4 times within the last hour and rolled back :( I have lost so must work with redstone.

I had a look at the chart thingiemajigs and there are a crap load of overload spikes on them. There must be something pretty intensive running on the server right now and when someone visits the chunk this device is in it activates. That is as much as I know but then I am an idiot :p

Ark

Thanks for letting me know the ammount. Donated 20 pounds. :)

Even though Charlie had to be reminded yesterday I was already a donor. :p

PS - Everyone should donate because Ark is awesome, but the /back command alone makes it worth it :D

Thanks a lot :)

It's not just me, Charlie and Mengy deserve praise too!

I had a look at the chart thingiemajigs and there are a crap load of overload spikes on them. There must be something pretty intensive running on the server right now and when someone visits the chunk this device is in it activates. That is as much as I know but then I am an idiot :p

68625_day.png

Yeah someone is doing some crazy shit. I'd hop on myself and try to find out what's going on, but any more than 3 minutes of Minecraft and my computer shuts down. I may give it a try later on anyway.

Usually the memory doesn't spike like that, so that's unusual. I can only assume someone, or somepeople have several mob farms going on that are in loaded chunks. It doesn't even have to be a mob farm. 200 cows in a tiny-ass pen? Yup, that's taking up a shit load of memory. 150 pigs in a tiny pen? Yup. Sheep? Yup. Several mob farms in the chunks surrounding spawn with a high capacity? Yup.

I can upgrade the memory, and I'm tempted to, but I'm very doubtful it will fix anything in the long-term.

EDIT: Don't forget that we're still on a Bukkit Beta build on 1.7.2 (I think), they still haven't given us any news on a reccomended build since...December?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
68625_day.png

Yeah someone is doing some crazy shit. I'd hop on myself and try to find out what's going on, but any more than 3 minutes of Minecraft and my computer shuts down. I may give it a try later on anyway.

Usually the memory doesn't spike like that, so that's unusual. I can only assume someone, or somepeople have several mob farms going on that are in loaded chunks. It doesn't even have to be a mob farm. 200 cows in a tiny-ass pen? Yup, that's taking up a shit load of memory. 150 pigs in a tiny pen? Yup. Sheep? Yup. Several mob farms in the chunks surrounding spawn with a high capacity? Yup.

I can upgrade the memory, and I'm tempted to, but I'm very doubtful it will fix anything in the long-term.

EDIT: Don't forget that we're still on a Bukkit Beta build on 1.7.2 (I think), they still haven't given us any news on a reccomended build since...December?
hmm:
Mengy is there a new bukkit update or anything? It seems redstone is broke. The contraption I built on a 1.7.4 creative server will just not work on gafland. The timing is all off I have tried everything I can think of.
It works once or twice then it goes all crazy. Its not the lag I have been able to test it with massive lag. The only thing I can think of is there is a bug with bukkit but trying to check there database is like finding a needle in a hay stack lol.

on related news, is the problem with 200 cows in a small pen the 200 cows or the small pen?

would 200 cows in a large pen be okay? [i need leather]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tbh medium term I think people should be encouraged to move active things away from the chunks immediately around spawn.

Vyktal

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for helping me get set up, having a blast! When I figure out where they've gone, I'll post a couple screenshots and clarify a couple things

Vyktal

So, I'm really enjoying being on this server! Great to see such awesome buildings and ideas all around.

So what I did is head directly out from the central rail line from GAF CENTRAL. I followed the rail, past the Red Inn until I came amongst some farmland, a couple modern houses and a huge mountain. Since it was light everywhere but dark at the top of the land mass, I decided that's where I'd call home!

I marked it all out with torches, did some mining out in the desert to get resources and built my first tower.
gQQRR

gQQRR

You get some great views from the top, and there's still lots of the mountain-top to populate with what will hopefully be a wicked castle! There's even another thin mountain in the distance which, with some sculpting, could look like an Easter Island head, and then I could build him a top hat
gQQRR

(I don't know why the images don't embed in the post. If you R click the image box and view in different window it'll open)

However, there are a couple houses below who will have to look at my creations as they slowly erupt from the top of the mountain. I've included a picture of the houses from above, and if it's your property, please let me know if my creations start getting a bit too imposing... FYI there;s a floating island next to the mountain top, and I was thinking of building on that as well, and one day reconnecting the floating island with the ground.
gQQRR

Cheers!

(dunno how to embed the images. R clicking the boxes and opening in a new window will open them)

MrBig

So, I'm really enjoying being on this server! Great to see such awesome buildings and ideas all around.

So what I did is head directly out from the central rail line from GAF CENTRAL. I followed the rail, past the Red Inn until I came amongst some farmland, a couple modern houses and a huge mountain. Since it was light everywhere but dark at the top of the land mass, I decided that's where I'd call home!

I marked it all out with torches, did some mining out in the desert to get resources and built my first tower.
gQQRR

gQQRR

You get some great views from the top, and there's still lots of the mountain-top to populate with what will hopefully be a wicked castle! There's even another thin mountain in the distance which, with some sculpting, could look like an Easter Island head, and then I could build him a top hat
gQQRR

(I don't know why the images don't embed in the post. If you R click the image box and view in different window it'll open)

However, there are a couple houses below who will have to look at my creations as they slowly erupt from the top of the mountain. I've included a picture of the houses from above, and if it's your property, please let me know if my creations start getting a bit too imposing... FYI there;s a floating island next to the mountain top, and I was thinking of building on that as well, and one day reconnecting the floating island with the ground.
gQQRR

Cheers!

(dunno how to embed the images. R clicking the boxes and opening in a new window will open them)

You're linking the album, you need to link directly to the .png image files.

I think the "easter island" mountain you're referring to, the one with the jungle tree on top, is my current project home - the bottom is my house and I've got plans for sculpting the whole mountain up. The quartz home and village is Mirks, and these screenshots are taken from the top of someone else's build I believe - you may be right on top of him with your plans.

Ranger X

hmm:

on related news, is the problem with 200 cows in a small pen the 200 cows or the small pen?

would 200 cows in a large pen be okay? [i need leather]

Its not because of the pen lol. Its because of the number of mobs loaded in the same chunk. The more there's stuff in a chunk, the more it weights in memory.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Its not because of the pen lol. Its because of the number of mobs loaded in the same chunk. The more there's stuff in a chunk, the more it weights in memory.
my thinking was more along the lines of pathfinding and collision causing the issues.

because 200/300/400/500 animals is nothing without some other factor [like bukkit not liking collision or baby animal pathfinding] weighing the server down.

Vyktal

You're linking the album, you need to link directly to the .png image files.

I think the "easter island" mountain you're referring to, the one with the jungle tree on top, is my current project home - the bottom is my house and I've got plans for sculpting the whole mountain up. The quartz home and village is Mirks, and these screenshots are taken from the top of someone else's build I believe - you may be right on top of him with your plans.

Hey guys, thanks very much for the image advice.

And I gotta say, I reeeeeeeeeeally hope I'm not building on someone's plan :( When I found this mountain, there is torches and things at it's foot, but there was nothing on top but darkness, hence why I thought I should be able to build up there. I cut out some stairs going up, got to the top, put torches everywhere. The only thing I found was a sign saying "Nice view" but otherwise no other signs of anyone building anything.

What do you guys suggest I do? I was hoping to use the mountain top as my main base and build project

Vyktal

Wanna say a thanks again to limilark and Crispy for the advice too.

I'm really glad I posted on here about Mr Big's mountain. If I come up with any other projects which are near other people, I'll make sure to check on here first. So far apart from building on top of the mountain, the only other thing I've done is a bit of mining for cobblestone, but I've had to relocate my mine several times due to accidentally mining into other player's mines, so I just close up my mine and shut it down and move on. I found one out by the clay desert which is separate to other players.

As an aside, my brother (who unfortunately is not on NeoGaf) would also be interested in joining the server. If he promised to pay the donation fee, is there a chance he could be whitelisted?

Sorry for all my questions and issues guys. Newbie much?

Top Bottom