• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

MrBig

That whole area is pretty much devoid of any unexplored natural caves at this point, best to hop out somewhere else via the nether to do some mining

Ark

Its not because of the pen lol. Its because of the number of mobs loaded in the same chunk. The more there's stuff in a chunk, the more it weights in memory.

This is the kind of thinking that leads to spawn being a completely laggy, unplayable mess.

my thinking was more along the lines of pathfinding and collision causing the issues.

because 200/300/400/500 animals is nothing without some other factor [like bukkit not liking collision or baby animal pathfinding] weighing the server down.

In my experience, having loads of mobs in a small pen creates extra lag (collision yay), but regardless, you're basically in the spawn chunk. If you're going to keep making huge farms, move them several hundred blocks out.

As an aside, my brother (who unfortunately is not on NeoGaf) would also be interested in joining the server. If he promised to pay the donation fee, is there a chance he could be whitelisted?

There's no requirement to donate, just post your brother's Minecraft name and someone will get around to adding him whenever they can.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
In my experience, having loads of mobs in a small pen creates extra lag (collision yay), but regardless, you're basically in the spawn chunk. If you're going to keep making huge farms, move them several hundred blocks out.
nah it was just a curiosity, with looting 3 im only going to need 20ish cows and they have a decent sized pen already.

Ark

I meant that to go out to everyone, not just you btw. Usually it's alright, but with the apparent problems (that all seem to happen when I'm asleep) it's worth trying to get people to spread things out a bit.

Cmagus

Yeah I figured this would be the best think to do. Building out from the spawn now gonna move my place from spawn to the new one hopefully tonight.

I just got minecraft on ps3 for my son as he loves minecraft. Is there no online mode for this version? I don't see any games listed. How can he join a server to play with others online?

I just got minecraft on ps3 for my son as he loves minecraft. Is there no online mode for this version? I don't see any games listed. How can he join a server to play with others online?
Found this:
How do you play minecraft online on ps3?

Answer
There are not any servers where anyone can join like on PC. You can only play with people on your friends list in a world what they have set to "Online Mode". Do this by opening the more options tab and making sure that the online mode box is selected before a world is created.
Hope that makes sense.

Ranger X

This is the kind of thinking that leads to spawn being a completely laggy, unplayable mess.

There's no requirement to donate, just post your brother's Minecraft name and someone will get around to adding him whenever they can.

I agree with the collision theory that you have. I didn't think about it initially but its entirely true, collision does take juice and memory. I should have thought about that for a guy that is having 6 years of software dev behind the belt lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh wtf ...that sucks....Now I need to find some minecfraft "friends" for him around his age (he is 10) :)

do you not have a PC that could run it? there are quite few kid-friendly PC servers out there, and you can get OK framerates on recent integrated graphics (I'd say sandy bridge and up are OK)

-Minsc-

I'm not sure if somebody is going around stealing maps or the server is somehow eating them. Here's how I found my map board this morning.

MissingMap.png

The middle map was, for some reason, rotated and the lower right is missing. It's possible there's some weird side effect to maps in frames during the server resets.

Otherwise, each of those maps cost 8 paper, 4 iron ingots, 1 redstone dust and my time gathering the resources and venturing out to the coordinates to craft it. Be nice, please don't swipe them. :)

Crispy75

I realised I had two of the town center map copies stashed in a chest last night so returned them. The copy chest is just missing one for map G right now.

I think some people don't realise how maps work. They see the thing on the wall, R-click it and it pops off and then they panic.

-Minsc-

how do you work out the coordinates for making your own maps?

To get that fancy 3x3 map board I posted above here's what I did. I went with with the default zoom level of 0 (Spawns map is zoom level 1). These maps cover an area of 128x128 blocks. I first created the middle map at the centre of my build. From my centre coordinates, I travel out 128 blocks in each of the north, south, east and west directions and created maps at these points. This gets you the top, bottom, left and right maps. The corner maps are simple, just head 128 blocks in the desired direction from the centre point of one of your outer map then make a map at this point.

Code:
  X --128 -- X -- 128 -- X
  |          |           |
 128        128         128
  |          |           |
  X --128 -- X -- 128 -- X
  |          |           |
 128        128         128
  |          |           |
  X --128 -- X -- 128 -- X

X = Map centres

More information on maps can be found here:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Map#Zoom_out

To get the proper map centres of other zoom levels simply replace "128" with the desired map length.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks. I was trying to zoom out copies of the spawn map but then they didn't line up properly. I realise what was going wrong now.

I did make a 2048x2048 map (fully zoomed out) which isn't great for detail, but handy to show you where you are if you get lost and give you an indication of which direction to head for spawn or your house.

Vyktal

Hey Ark, thanks so much! My bro will be thrilled, his name is Kien2142

I'll throw some donation money your way in the next few days when I'm next at my personal PC

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i had not realized the full extent jeb intends to nerf farms.

the whole sale gutting of iron and gold farms plus the villager 'balancing' is just... damn. The dudes a little out of touch.

Fuchsdh

the whole sale gutting of iron and gold farms plus the villager 'balancing' is just... damn. The dudes a little out of touch.

Seems like it's all working towards making survival... well, hard. There's always creative mode so it makes sense that you'd restrict resource farming.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Seems like it's all working towards making survival... well, hard. There's always creative mode so it makes sense that you'd restrict resource farming.
it wont make survival hard, there's nothing hard about farming a set of diamond gear.

it'll just make survival about constant upkeep with no forward momentum in player capability past day 2.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Could you point me to details?
the tl;dr would be:
pigmen and iron golems will no longer drop iron or gold nuggets unless killed by a player.
villagers will not breed unless traded with, trades will require more than the most recent offer to reset.

what this basically means is that we have to finish all rail lines before bukkit updates to 1.8
we also need a surplus of hoppers just in case.
ill probably stop stocking my store too since ill need to build up a personal emerald supply.

bukkits glacial update pace may end up being a saving grace.

Randdalf

I think the best way to deal with this is to add forms of minimal but scalable automation as part of the game, rather than keep it as through current methods that exploit how mobs spawn and behave. By minimal and scalable I mean that they are like Redstone - simple but can be used to create highly complex and robust mining/farming systems.

Crispy75

Doesn't this just mean that iron and gold famrs will have to be grinders instead? A bit more bother, but not the end of the world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Smacking a few iron golems that have been reduced to half a heart isn't the end of the world. Although it does show how pointless it is to mess with things, when there are ways to work around it fairly easily

And the villager breeding rules will only affect your setup? Once you have a farm up and running you should be OK shouldn't you?

Morokh

There's a very simple solution to that, have a low drop rate when mobs are killed automatically, and a 'normal' one (affected by enchants) when a player does the deed. (adjust it accordingly when players come up with new farm designs if you have to)

It makes the fully automated farms less effective, but still worthwhile because you don't have to take care of it, and if you want more you have to take care of it yourself.

-Minsc-

In theory, I have no problems with jeb's proposed changes. In practice, I'm not sure what to think yet. Crispy does make a point of iron and gold farms having to become grinders. With that I guess it's not so bad. At my pigman farm on Neocraft I always used a looting III sword anyway. I suppose it does suck about the villager trading though.

The best people and jeb pleasing solution, just add a new difficulty setting. One that allows survival lite, and another being jebs harder survival.

There's something I'm curious with, I doubt Jeb would actually build in minecraft to the extent many of us do. He's a programmer after all. If he did he'd see why so many dislike his proposed changes. I don't mind doing things the hard way, but I don't want to devote my entire life to a video game.

Fuchsdh

In theory, I have no problems with jeb's proposed changes. In practice, I'm not sure what to think yet. Crispy does make a point of iron and gold farms having to become grinders. With that I guess it's not so bad. At my pigman farm on Neocraft I always used a looting III sword anyway. I suppose it does suck about the villager trading though.

The best people and jeb pleasing solution, just add a new difficulty setting. One that allows survival lite, and another being jebs harder survival.

There's something I'm curious with, I doubt Jeb would actually build in minecraft to the extent many of us do. He's a programmer after all. If he did he'd see why so many dislike his proposed changes. I don't mind doing things the hard way, but I don't want to devote my entire life to a video game.

Well that's the balancing act all games like Minecraft have to find--engaging and engrossing, without becoming a straight grind (to the point that people stop playing.)

-Minsc-

Well that's the balancing act all games like Minecraft have to find--engaging and engrossing, without becoming a straight grind (to the point that people stop playing.)

I do see the appeal of having a mob-farmless server. People would have no choice but to coordinate their efforts. In a sense it would create stronger communities as opposed to people going off on their own. At least, in theory.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
the tl;dr would be:
pigmen and iron golems will no longer drop iron or gold nuggets unless killed by a player.
This I do not like at all. My brother spent hours building an Iron farm and then we spent hours automating it complete with pipeline and storage house shaped like a Golem head.

I do not like that change. No I do not.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Smacking a few iron golems that have been reduced to half a heart isn't the end of the world. Although it does show how pointless it is to mess with things, when there are ways to work around it fairly easily
a mob grinder for mobs that never despawn isnt very healthy for servers.

at the very least andy and everyone who have ever built an iron farm in spawn chunks will have to tear it down.

And the villager breeding rules will only affect your setup? Once you have a farm up and running you should be OK shouldn't you?
since they're changing the conditions for trade resets, it will effect all villager setups.

DukeSucks

found my first diamond! Used some of my new-found riches to donate some to the server. Ark, can you make sure it went through ok?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I do see the appeal of having a mob-farmless server. People would have no choice but to coordinate their efforts. In a sense it would create stronger communities as opposed to people going off on their own. At least, in theory.

Server checkbox then. Choice.

Ark

Hey Ark, thanks so much! My bro will be thrilled, his name is Kien2142

I'll throw some donation money your way in the next few days when I'm next at my personal PC

Added him in :)

found my first diamond! Used some of my new-found riches to donate some to the server. Ark, can you make sure it went through ok?

Thanks a lot! It went through alright and I've made you a donator now :)

---

Minsc had the good idea of coming up with a slightly more indepth (and actually visible) rule-set for the server, since we've had such a huge influx of new players and minor inconveniences keep on happening:

- Ask before you build. Get permission when building on or next to another's plot.
- No excessive mob farms at spawn.
- Provide a large enough pen for animals, collision detection adds extra load on the server.
- Respect the maps. Make a copy if you want one.

If you can think of anymore rules you think should be added, go ahead and post them.

-Minsc-

In the nether though? Who really cares?

You'd be surprised. The nether on the NeoCraft map actually had some nice sights.

As for rules, how about a limit on duration of unused land claims? Someone plunks down a claim on a prime piece of land then never returns for six months, if ever.

It could go something like this:

- Place a sign with a date stamp on the claimed area. Four weeks from that date, if unused or consists of basic starter structures, the claim is forfeit. Obviously if there's a half finished castle we're not going to tear it down when the builder seemingly disappears. In situations such as this it could be a courtesy for the builder to hand the keys to the project over to another.

Can I get white-listed to play on the server, please?

Going to need you minecraft username so I can add you to the whitelist.

Minsc had the good idea of coming up with a slightly more indepth (and actually visible) rule-set for the server, since we've had such a huge influx of new players and minor inconveniences keep on happening

That Minsc he's a right little Dicktator he is ;-)

- resow any crops you use.
- breed any animals you kill ...... might be better to reword it as "restock any culled animals" that sounds less erm yeahhhhhhhh
- all members must build at least 1 dome in reverence to the great CharmingCharlie.

That is about all I can think of, but then I aint really a "rule" kinda guy I am a free spirit that will not be constrained by your notions of society you NARK :p (says the moderator who has to enforce the rules).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
was there a rollback on the server over the weekend or yesterday? Just logged on and my ender chest in my house is gone.

edit: The one at my mine is still there (with my good stuff in thank goodness). Looks like someone maybe stole the one in my house?

was there a rollback on the server over the weekend or yesterday? Just logged on and my ender chest in my house is gone.

edit: The one at my mine is still there (with my good stuff in thank goodness). Looks like someone maybe stole the one in my house?
There was a rollback. Lost hours of work. :(

Did it again lets hope it doesnt happen again.

belushy

Banned
In the nether though? Who really cares?

It is just unnecessary clutter. All I'm saying is that it is kind of rude to be leaving those up and around the nether like that. It isn't like it is hard to just mine it back up. People are just being lazy.

Fuchsdh

It is just unnecessary clutter. All I'm saying is that it is kind of rude to be leaving those up and around the nether like that. It isn't like it is hard to just mine it back up. People are just being lazy.
Minecraft: The Unholy nexus of hoarding and OCD.

Top Bottom