• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ark

hey minsc, my permissions are no longer set to mod? is that a mistake?

i had the mod powers for the same reason ninefingers does. id like to have them back, cause otherwise its unlikely Jurassic Park will ever be done. =/

is the server stable enough for mcEdit stuff anyway right now?

I know I'm very late, and I apologise.

It's intentional. You were made a mod without me knowing until I logged in and happened to see your text colour having changed. I'm not okay with having a precedent of 'if you want worledit powers just ask and boom you can /kick /ban people too', nor am I happy with handing out server-crashing capabilities (world edit) on a whim to anyone that wants to build something big and fancy. Not that I don't trust you; I'm simply not happy with the precedent. Since we're already waist-down in this hole; you can have your worldedit permissions you just won't have mod status.

Usually I'm pretty laissez-faire with most things NeoCraft/GAFLand related, but as everything is being 'sorted' it made sense to clear this up. Again, I've nothing against you, it's just silly having half-a-dozen mods running around a server with a dozen active users.

EDIT: Quoting for the new page because his post deserves more attention than mine:

Gentlemen!!

It's that time again!

Those of you who know me might know that I am a big fan of heavily-modded Minecraft. In the past I offered the smash-hit mostly gaf-based Absurditycraft modpack and server, and this time, I am coming at you with the fully-functional, fully-totally awesome...

xzxPNCP.jpg

That's right, it's an FTB Monster Server. And look at all that oil!

What is FTB Monster, you ask? It is the new flagship mod pack from the Feed The Beast team, probably the most respected creators of mod packs in the Minecraft community. Monster expands the core Minecraft experience several times over, and it's quite possible you would never be able to do all the things the game now has to offer! If that excites or intrigues you, read further...

-Build stuff!!
-Raid dungeons!!
-Practice weird creepy majicks!!
-Do nerdy tech stuff!! If you're into that, you NERD

If you would like to join the fun, just follow these completely painless, easy steps!

1. If you haven't already, you should buy, download, and install Minecraft because it is the greatest PC game ever made even better than League of Legends.
2. Send me a private message with your Minecraft username so I can add you to the whitelist and give you the server address!
3. Go to http://feed-the-beast.com/ , scroll down, and download the client. Jar and exe both work, but I guess if you have problems with one you can try the other?
4. Run that sucker, then create a new profile with your Minecraft username and password.
5. Go to Options, and increase the RAM Maximum to maybe about half of what your computer has.
6. Go back to modpacks, click Monster and click Launch. It will download the modpack.
7. Once Minecraft launches, close Minecraft and re-open the FTB launcher client.
8. Click Monster once again, click "Edit Mod Pack" and Enable all the mods except for ZansMinimap and Reiminimap. (you can play with these alternate minimaps, if you want. It comes down to preference. Personally I like Journeymap for the ability to map out the whole world.)
9. You're good to go! Click Launch and connect to the server!

This server is just getting started. I don't even have a house yet! So, if you want to get in on the ground floor, now's the time!

Once again, I'm offering this as an alternative experience for those who want to try something different from vanilla Minecraft. If you've never played modded Minecraft before and you're not sure what it's all about, then give it a try! It's a lot of fun, the gameplay possibilities are endless, and people will be more than happy to help you out.

I would love to see a lot of talented builders and newbies alike on this server, so if you're at all interested, please check it out! Just like with the main gaf server, this is all about building a community.

EDIT2:

Affectionately known as the "Red Line" because it's red and not because it was accidentally named after a feminine hygiene product. It will link Dome City 2 with Arkyoto (if ark ever appears again) and GAF Central at Spawn. The line will feature stations and off ramps every 1,000 blocks :-

I would like to publicly announce my support of the TAMPON.

I will finish Arkyoto at some point. I had a week filled with overtime last week plus I'm parkouring my way to my first Platinum trophy ever with AC4: Black Flag at the moment and playing Strider. Thief comes out on Friday too, gotta decide if I want to keep that pre-order. And I've finally started playing Bravely Default.

I know I'm very late, and I apologise.

It's intentional. You were made a mod without me knowing until I logged in and happened to see your text colour having changed. I'm not okay with having a precedent of 'if you want worledit powers just ask and boom you can /kick /ban people too', nor am I happy with handing out server-crashing capabilities (world edit) on a whim to anyone that wants to build something big and fancy. Not that I don't trust you; I'm simply not happy with the precedent. Since we're already waist-down in this hole; you can have your worldedit permissions you just won't have mod status.

Usually I'm pretty laissez-faire with most things NeoCraft/GAFLand related, but as everything is being 'sorted' it made sense to clear this up. Again, I've nothing against you, it's just silly having half-a-dozen mods running around a server with a dozen active users.

yeah, i understand. i worked it out with minsc mostly, and i get your reasoning. its mostly my fault anyway, i shouldn't have assumed id continue to have those permissions.

anyway, thanks for allowing me to continue using world edit.

Anyone know where I can find some glowstone that's not suspended above a giant lava lake? Need some for redstone lamps and for a bridge I'm building.

So things have been going pretty well in my MineCraft adventure. I finally discovered my first swamp, pretty cool. Setting up a camp there now.

At least, trying to.

A few days ago I left the game on pause for a while and when I came back, it had crashed. I Force Quit-ed out of it, knowing I wouldn't lose anything since it constantly saves. Fast-forward to today, and I went to play and the game runs like total dogshit now. It has massive framerate issues that are making it almost unplayable - things will run smooth for about 5 seconds and then a hiccup, smooth for 5 then a hiccup, and it just repeats that the entire time I'm playing. Making building a huge pain in the ass too.

Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe I have too many Chrome tabs open (which has never been a problem before)? Is there a way to fix it? It's set to render at 60FP max, and it was at 16 chunks before (with no problems ever) and I turned it down to 12 or 13 and it's still being a pile of shit.

Should I just try restarting my computer? I don't want to have to reinstall my game and lose my save D:

Edit: Shut the whole thing down, restarted my computer, seems to be running fine again. How annoying >:T

-Minsc-

Good morning all,

For the time being I've disabled Dynmap. I suspect it's the cause of the server crashes lately so I want to observe how it operates with the map offline. I apologize for any inconvenience. :)

Discovered an App that locates villages, temples, witch huts, etc and went on my first massive excursion today. Wanted to find a village and see what they were like. First place on the map was a total bust, nothing there (unless villages can be underground?) but I eventually found my way into a huge desert and found a small house and a tower with a well -- not much of a village but still! My first contact with NPC life.

Sadly after the first night there, the three villagers were killed by zombies. :(

-Minsc-

Hey all!

Here's a list of updates and ideas I'm laying on the table.

- As mentioned above, Dynmap is currently offline.

- I've enabled segments of the Essentials Signs feature. Signs now have a variety of neat uses.

> Coloured Signs: If you haven't yet discovered, you can add colours and text formatting to signs. Here's a colour and font guide: “http://wiki.ess3.net/mc/”
~ For example: “&cHello!” (minus the quotes) will display “Hello!” in read.

> Mail Sign: A simple sign which allows you to check your mail.

> Disposal Sign: Opens an item screen to which you can place items for disposal.

> Info Sign: This sign will trigger a command which displays a pre-written information file to the players chat. Works in the same manner as the /einfo command. Handy for visitor information.

> Trade Sign: Players will now be able to trade items using the trade sign. Here's a video tutorial explaining how they work. Since it's unlikely I'll enable currency, just replace the money with items. I'm a little unsure how easily, if at all, enchanted items can be traded. One thing I noticed is for long item names you are better off using the numerical item ID.

> For more information on Essentials Signs, check out the wiki.

-------------

Here's plans and ideas I have for the future. Feel free to add your thoughts. :)

- Creative Gates: Many here will remember Creative Gates from what seems like a lifetime ago. For those who are new to the server, Creative Gates allows users to build custom portal networks. This will be a handy service to assist moving around the expansive NeoCraft map. Being a near vanilla survival map, GAFland will not make use of Creative Gates.

They seem to have improved the functionality of gates. Read up about it here.

- Central Hub: What do you all think of this idea? Using MultiWorld I create a world which can be used as a spawn hub. One thing the server is missing is a central visitor information centre. My vision is a SkyCity inspired spawn built in The End for added coolness factor. It shouldn't be hard to deactivate Endermen spawning for that world.

- PixelCRAFT: If there's interest, I can generate a flat world or use MultiWorlds ocean world generator to create a map specifically for pixel art.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Here's plans and ideas I have for the future. Feel free to add your thoughts. :)

- Central Hub: What do you all think of this idea? Using MultiWorld I create a world which can be used as a spawn hub. One thing the server is missing is a central visitor information centre. My vision is a SkyCity inspired spawn built in The End for added coolness factor. It shouldn't be hard to deactivate Endermen spawning for that world.

- PixelCRAFT: If there's interest, I can generate a flat world or use MultiWorlds ocean world generator to create a map specifically for pixel art.

My initial concern on this is: can our Multiplay server effectively run three or four worlds at the same time through Multiworld? We are having cpu and memory issues now, I would think that adding a new world or two would only compound that. Especially with 1.7 since it has known memory issues with servers. Once we get onto 1.8 this might be much more feasible, since 1.8 contains a few big server memory & cpu optimization's.

If we do go down the multiple world route though, I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a "farming" world. A temporary world that we restart for every new update just so that people can go into it and collect any new resources that might be hard to get in Neocraft or GAFland. Like the new stone types coming in 1.8 for example. Or even just to get glowstone and quartz from a fresh nether that resets every so often.

Hey all!

- Creative Gates: Many here will remember Creative Gates from what seems like a lifetime ago. For those who are new to the server, Creative Gates allows users to build custom portal networks. This will be a handy service to assist moving around the expansive NeoCraft map. Being a near vanilla survival map, GAFland will not make use of Creative Gates.

i like the idea of a spawn hub on the map, but i don't really like how the end looks, mostly because the sky is entirely black/purple. the idea of a sky city spawn hub in the regular world is cool, and i think possible with a custom world generator with multiverse.

or perhaps something even cooler, like space, with generated round planets and asteroids: Space Custom Generator

Edit: this one looks cool too: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/floating-island-world-generation/

-Minsc-

My initial concern on this is: can our Multiplay server effectively run three or four worlds at the same time through Multiworld? We are having cpu and memory issues now, I would think that adding a new world or two would only compound that. Especially with 1.7 since it has known memory issues with servers. Once we get onto 1.8 this might be much more feasible, since 1.8 contains a few big server memory & cpu optimization's.

If we do go down the multiple world route though, I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a "farming" world. A temporary world that we restart for every new update just so that people can go into it and collect any new resources that might be hard to get in Neocraft or GAFland. Like the new stone types coming in 1.8 for example. Or even just to get glowstone and quartz from a fresh nether that resets every so often.

I am observing the memory and cpu load. With MultiWorld it should only be spawn at Gafland which is constantly loaded. Having four players in Gafland and one in NeoCraft should be no different than having five players spread out across Gafland. Still, there's always the possibility of bugs so I'm keeping an eye on things.

Using the /gc command, I can see with only Dry in the Neocraft world 625 chunks are loaded. When I warp to Neocraft the number doubles to 1250. At the very least that tells me spawn loading is disabled on NeoCraft. :)

Waiting for 1.8 might be a good idea, though creating and disabling a world to test is a fairly simple matter. The resettable Nether sounds like a good idea. One thing I'd like to do is restrict the world size. That way people don't go overboard exploring too far. Once the available Nether is tapped we just reset it. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I am observing the memory and cpu load. With MultiWorld it should only be spawn at Gafland which is constantly loaded. Having four players in Gafland and one in NeoCraft should be no different than having five players spread out across Gafland. Still, there's always the possibility of bugs so I'm keeping an eye on things.

Using the /gc command, I can see with only Dry in the Neocraft world 625 chunks are loaded. When I warp to Neocraft the number doubles to 1250. At the very least that tells me spawn loading is disabled on NeoCraft. :)

Waiting for 1.8 might be a good idea, though creating and disabling a world to test is a fairly simple matter. The resettable Nether sounds like a good idea. One thing I'd like to do is restrict the world size. That way people don't go overboard exploring too far. Once the available Nether is tapped we just reset it. :)

So wait, does Multiworld fix the unloaded chunks stuck in memory bugs that 1.7 has in it? If that's the case then wow, that would be awesome.

As for resettng the nether, just to clarify, I did not mean the nether for either Neocraft nor GAFland, only for the other multiworlds we might create. Namely I was talking about a nether associated with a farming world.

As for a spawn hub, do we really need it? I mean we have fantastic spawn areas in GAFland and Neocraft, what would the point be to having a persistent and separate spawn hub?

UF_C

Banned

Mengy FTW.

@NihonTiger90....I have a few minutes to get you the stacks now if you want. If not it will be later tonight.

Any for of payment can be Diamonds, Diamonds, Diamonds.

Diamonds....

UF_C

Banned
So wait, does Multiworld fix the unloaded chunks stuck in memory bugs that 1.7 has in it? If that's the case then wow, that would be awesome.

As for resettng the nether, just to clarify, I did not mean the nether for either Neocraft nor GAFland, only for the other multiworlds we might create. Namely I was talking about a nether associated with a farming world.

As for a spawn hub, do we really need it? I mean we have fantastic spawn areas in GAFland and Neocraft, what would the point be to having a persistent and separate spawn hub?
Rather than a Spawn Hub in the overworld, why not do it in the Nether? I always liked how the folks on MindCrack did their Nether Hub. It always seemed to be a very logical way to get around in a very short time frame and it connects everyone in one specified area which helps build the community a bit.

Nether Hub, anyone?

This is the issue I've been having. :)

Tried installing the game multiple times, but the blocks still turn invisible. Not sure what the issue is. Used to work fine before the newest update. :/

Also, how do I get permission to build and play in the world? :)

MrBig

This is the issue I've been having. :)

Tried installing the game multiple times, but the blocks still turn invisible. Not sure what the issue is. Used to work fine before the newest update. :/

Also, how do I get permission to build and play in the world? :)

Sounds like the issue reported from users on the newer ATI drivers, if you have an AMD card try rolling them back to a version from a month or two a go.

Just a lil update on the Great Humungous Build that is the Tampon Line (with wings). The first of 10 stations designed to project Dome City's Imperial Power over the entire server has been constructed :-

Distance covered so far is about 2,000 blocks. Only another 9,700 to go :-/ Erm I just noticed something and I would like to state that "any resemblance the stations have to an Elephant being rammed up the arse are entirely coincidental". I honestly did not notice it until now.

Crispy75

Just a lil update on the Great Humungous Build that is the Tampon Line (with wings). The first of 10 stations designed to project Dome City's Imperial Power over the entire server has been constructed :-

Distance covered so far is about 2,000 blocks. Only another 9,700 to go :-/ Erm I just noticed something and I would like to state that "any resemblance the stations have to an Elephant being rammed up the arse are entirely coincidental". I honestly did not notice it until now.

Looks amazing :)

And painful for the elephant.

EVIL

I haven't been on here in a while, popping on and off on the neocraft server once in a while to see whats happening but not really wanting to go into gathering loot and building projects.

The reason for that is that I am missing my Neocrack fix. That server was allot of fun, building wither grinders, and all kinds of machines to create other machines, dealing with power and how to route it properly so you don't blow everything up. dealing with bees and breeding them and breeding trees, creating automatic tree farms etc. Now at the time mirk changed the server into a vanilla server it was mainly to see what mohjang was dooing with the latest updates. 1.6 etc, horses and all that stuff, but there was always talk about going back once they update the mindcrack modpack of FTB

So my question? have they updated that pack by now? and the biggest question, when can I go back to mindcrack?

Mirk

So my question? have they updated that pack by now? and the biggest question, when can I go back to mindcrack?

MindCrack FTB has still not been updated to 1.6.4. But HappyBivouac has a FTB Monster server set up. Its at the top of this page, so if you want to get your mod fix I would join us!

belushy

Banned
MindCrack FTB has still not been updated to 1.6.4. But HappyBivouac has a FTB Monster server set up. Its at the top of this page, so if you want to get your mod fix I would join us!

By the way Mirk, when the Crack the Beast modpack gets added, are we gonna play it in that PVP aspect like Mindcrack is? That would be fun.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Gentlemen!!

It's that time again!

Excellent, I'll give it a shot! You might lose customizability by going with a standard pack, but you'll gain the FTB playtesters.

Well, I've been playing Direwolf's pack as my main world, but I'm guessing all of the good stuff have been transfered over. Except Morph obviously, I'm just guessing the only reasons why Dire uses that is becaue of fitting into 1x1 spaces and because iChun made it. I'd prefer to use Smart Moving for 1x1 spaces, but I think the guy doesn't want his mod in FTB.

Edit: Biomes O'Plenty and Highlands2? Do those even work when you run them together?

Edit2: Had to increase my Permsize to 256 MB to run the pack, the default appears to be 128. For those of you watching at home, you can do this from the FTB launcher under Options, Advanced options, Additional Java Parameters, and either replace the 128 with 256, or if nothing is there, add a "-XX:permSize=256M" (Without quotes).

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Ark, I sent you a donation last week, as well as a PM with details. Since I haven't heard back, I thought I'd drop a comment in the thread to catch your attention.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Not sure what world gen setting the server is running on, but I've seen Highlands flora spawn at least (those white flowers you can convert to string are OP :p).

Well, if you need string, you can run a sheep farm and then use the Pulverizers from Thermal Expansion to convert the wool into 4 string, and have a 25% chance to get an item of the dye the wool block was dyed. BAM! Enough string to hang yourself with and farmed dyes. :D And with the Autonomous Activator block holding a pair of shears, you can automatically snip the sheep too.

Minecraft Mod packs: 5000 ways to "OP" the game.

EVIL

aight installed but what is the server adress? can't find it in quoting the post

edit: welp appears I cant read for shit. PM sent to HappyBivouac

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
I seem to already have "Oh My God Where's My Tree Farm And Mining Drill I Can't Function And Why Is There So Much Florite That Takes Up Fifteen Inventory Spaces" Syndrome. I only hope there is a cure for OMGWMTFAMDICFAWITSMFTTUFISS that involves building a workshop and stealing resources, I'll try and help when I'm not currently at work.

(Honestly, Reactor Craft, do we need different colors of Florite? We already have 20 different sets of colored blocks with the standard set of colors, and I can't not mine everything. :V)

UF_C

Banned
I just noticed...whenever I use google chat, i hit T before i type anything. Minecraft is giving me bad habits.

Crispy75

Talking of bad habits, I now use AutoHotKey to save me the trouble of typing teleport commands.

Win+Z takes me home, Win+X takes me back. Win+C takes me home (which is a small puddle of water), waits .5s and then takes me back. Which makes catching on fire easy to deal with :D

-SD-

Banned
Who pulled the plug?

Phases I and II of the Slime Pit project are complete. Digging the 127x127 hole was Phase I and grassing it up was Phase II (which was actually completed way before I). 750K blocks mined. 144 diamond and over 900 iron pickaxes and quite a few cobblestone shovels used. Took over 6 weeks.

Big huge thanks to a certain gentleman for lending me his beacon and donating a bunch of diamonds as well. Two other kind sirs also threw some diamonds at me at some point, so thanks for those as well. Greatly speeded up the process!

minecraft_gafland_slifto1b.gif

Had a bizarre thing happen when the server crashed about 10 minutes ago. I was hanging out with MuffinRaptor when the server gave a message and kicked me (couldn't read it, it just flashed on the screen for a split second) and when I logged back in I was in lava and died within a few seconds). Lost all my good tools and weapons. :(

Forgive my ignorance but what good does farming Slimes do? All I've figured out to do with them is leads, which are worthless to me at the moment since I have no carrots to befriend horses (an no saddles either). What else are they used for?

Also, I found my first Stronghold. Scary as fuck cruising around in here. Mined the shit out of a library though, have like 300+ books now, gonna set one up in my houseeee.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Forgive my ignorance but what good does farming Slimes do? All I've figured out to do with them is leads, which are worthless to me at the moment since I have no carrots to befriend horses (an no saddles either). What else are they used for?
sticky pistons, slime blocks.

Top Bottom