• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ranger X

So that's where you hide guys. Finally realised this thread is in community section now.

So Neocraft isn't a survival server anymore? wokay...

I know I havent been on for several days now but 2 things happened:

1 - Work has been killing me last couple of weeks, so when I have a little free time

2 - Dark Souls 2 :p

Sorry. Eventually, I will be back. :)

Just FYI for whoever made it, the minecart tunnel in the Nether that goes to Arkyoto is broken. About a minute into the ride, you reach a down hill slope after a small S bend. The ceiling is too low so you get stuck and start suffocating.

masud

Banned
1Laqwl9.png

The maps done. That took a long ass time to finishlol. Eventually I want to at another 3 squares to each side but I don't to want to make the map too big for the server by spawning a bunch of chunks.

And thanks to whoever left the cake. :)

Great episode.

I really need to get out and see people's builds more, Thorn Industries LLC has some amazing looking contraptions that aren't even in this Spring's catalogue yet. I also realized my spawners are missing a proper Staff Romm. ;)

Looking forward to the next video!
1Laqwl9.png

The maps done. That took a long ass time to finishlol. Eventually I want to at another 3 squares to each side but I don't to want to make the map too big.

Holy crap, that must have taken a lot of hours to finish. Kudos!

masud

Banned
Holy crap, that must have taken a lot of hours to finish. Kudos!

Yeah it sure did, it was fun though. Theres an open chest full of copies in the airship if anyone wants one.

Also did somebody cut down the some of the brush and some trees in front of the wall that surrounds my house in the jungle? I don't think it was griefing it looks like someone thought it looked better like that but that’s not how I wanted it to look.

Edit: The perpetrator has been caught. Justice was swift.

Fuchsdh

1Laqwl9.png

The maps done. That took a long ass time to finishlol. Eventually I want to at another 3 squares to each side but I don't to want to make the map too big for the server by spawning a bunch of chunks.

Quite the undertaking!

Cool as always. Glad to see you'll be doing something with the cyan line—so I assume you're going to make a spur off to the purple from your Katzegard station? Since we're fairly far east it might make sense to have connections to the other eastern lines at that point instead of heading back to GAF—I'm guessing I'll be building the final eastern rail (magenta line?) out that way south of you.

I'm interested in getting back to Minecraft, and I figure I might as well join whatever GAF is doing. How would I go about doing so? I haven't played Minecraft in a looooong time.

Quite the undertaking!

Cool as always. Glad to see you'll be doing something with the cyan line—so I assume you're going to make a spur off to the purple from your Katzegard station? Since we're fairly far east it might make sense to have connections to the other eastern lines at that point instead of heading back to GAF—I'm guessing I'll be building the final eastern rail (magenta line?) out that way south of you.

Yes, that's correct. If you take the Purple Line south from your place, you'll see there's an area already hollowed out for the Katzegard West transfer station. It'll link up with a short spur (like Dry's line) that I'll use to transfer to Katzegard Grand Station. Katzegard Grand will be built outside the fortress walls, I think, since there will be more space there and I want to save most of the interior space for my fortress town and assorted farms/utility builds.

I also need to make sure I build it somewhere outside of the Katzegard Battery's range, which could be the only problematic issue ... I have to take a look at a few spots and see what works in the coming weeks.

In the meanwhile, I'll probably construct a temporary Katzegard station.

Also, the server tour will be 7 episodes in total; I've recorded Part 6 already (for Sunday) and Part 7 is called The Far Lands. If you guessed that it's all the places really far from spawn town (like Arkyoto, Charlie's build, Vyktal's fortress, Thorn's nether grinders, Liz and Evil's castle), you'd probably be right.

Also also, you can already see the next part of Katzegard I'm building on the Dynmap; Minsc already figured it out so it ought to be obvious what it is. :p

-Minsc-

I'm interested in getting back to Minecraft, and I figure I might as well join whatever GAF is doing. How would I go about doing so? I haven't played Minecraft in a looooong time.

Post your MC username and Charlie or myself will give you citizenship. To get the server IP just quote the first post of this thread. :)

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
It's good that the problem is solved... but I have absolutely no idea what's going on in that picture.

A quarry (which is a pre-made structure that digs a large square hole to bedrock) dug a hole partway down, and was accidentally filled up with water. The hole intersected with many tunnels, ravines, and a minecraft, and (presumably) a large amount of mobs were spawned, dragged into the sucking suspended source water, and were drowned.

The picture you see shows entity count, at one point we were up to 12,000 entities, which brought even the 8 gigs I throw at minecraft down to a slideshow of horror. Between the three of us on the server it took us a good 10 minutes to suck up all the XP once we got down there, and 20 minutes just for me to crawl over there.

I was somewhat amused that we all had different methods for underwater survival, so huge AbsurdityCraft's mod pack is. I used an air producing module in my Modular Power Suits Power Armor, Drazgul had some funky Blood Magic going on, and the third guy... used torches. :D

elektrixx

Banned
I've tried to copy a piece of the Far Lands and paste it in a normal area but I still get tick and block errors. Is there a minor thing I can edit out to make it run? I pulled the chucks from beta 1.7.3 and pasted them in my current save.

I've been creating a little definitive save by importing my 360 world and the 360 tutorial world into my PC save, but I think the Far Lands might be impossible to add to the collection.

Vlad

A quarry (which is a pre-made structure that digs a large square hole to bedrock) dug a hole partway down, and was accidentally filled up with water. The hole intersected with many tunnels, ravines, and a minecraft, and (presumably) a large amount of mobs were spawned, dragged into the sucking suspended source water, and were drowned.

Hm, I didn't know that drowning monsters dropped experience in that mod pack. They don't normally in vanilla, right?

I was somewhat amused that we all had different methods for underwater survival, so huge AbsurdityCraft's mod pack is. I used an air producing module in my Modular Power Suits Power Armor, Drazgul had some funky Blood Magic going on, and the third guy... used torches. :D

Yeah, I finally managed to move from my old place on the server (which was dangerously close to the Lag Quarry), and the sheer amount of stuff that keeps getting added to these mod packs always blows me away. Even mods that I used to have a pretty good handle on end up updated with a ton of new stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
Is my tower still where i built it?
Also, what exactly is the current version of the server, and the current MC version?
I was thinking i could actually finish my tower. Or Windblade as i named it.

EDIT Well, fuck. Now i know what i should have asked when i started building the tower. I should have asked if a moderator could have spawned me a big block of sandstone (if they can do that?) and chopped of everything i don't need, like a sculptor.
EDIT because mining all the sandstone is a horrible, horrible work...

EDIT wait. Did you start a new map or something at some point?
NeoCraft is creative, Gafland survival.
Gah, what?
Complicated...

EDIT well, if i come back, i guess i'll restart the project on Survival map, considering i never cared for pure creative mode. Also, new stuff, can add more color to my building.

-Minsc-

Is my tower still where i built it?
Also, what exactly is the current version of the server, and the current MC version?
I was thinking i could actually finish my tower. Or Windblade as i named it.

EDIT Well, fuck. Now i know what i should have asked when i started building the tower. I should have asked if a moderator could have spawned me a big block of sandstone (if they can do that?) and chopped of everything i don't need, like a sculptor.
EDIT because mining all the sandstone is a horrible, horrible work...

EDIT wait. Did you start a new map or something at some point?

Gah, what?
Complicated...

EDIT well, if i come back, i guess i'll restart the project on Survival map, considering i never cared for pure creative mode. Also, new stuff, can add more color to my building.

If you wish you can still build in survival on the creative world, there's a sign at NeoCraft's spawn which you can use to change your gamemode. That said, one may as well just build on Gafland. Now, if you want a giant block of sandstone spawned then that would only be done on NeoCraft.

Woorloog

Banned
I can restart the project ground up, no problem. I'll scale it down a a bit too, my original project was... massive for one person. Not as big as that one mosque someone was building pre-server reset...
I don't particularly like creative mode, takes all the fun from building stuff.

And this time i should probably get all the stuff first before i build. Or enlist people to help.

Was there a planning software for MC?

EDIT and is the server up to date to current MC version or do i need to downgrade?

Fuchsdh

I can restart the project ground up, no problem. I'll scale it down a a bit too, my original project was... massive for one person. Not as big as that one mosque someone was building pre-server reset...
I don't particularly like creative mode, takes all the fun from building stuff.

And this time i should probably get all the stuff first before i build. Or enlist people to help.

Was there a planning software for MC?

EDIT and is the server up to date to current MC version or do i need to downgrade?

We're on 1.7.4, so current.

As for supplies, us diehards have already explored and mined a lot so I'm sure you can get a headstart on anything you need for your build. You can check out the dynamap to find a place to start.

Woorloog

Banned
All i need is a location, and a plan.
So, any planning software, sites? A basic pattern would be good idea to have before i build anything.
Also, ideas. Need to choose a realistic one, otherwise i'll try something way too ambitious.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmm, i'll try Paint.net i guess, have it installed already after all.
As for railways, sure, i'm sure going to build my project close to the railway. Or perhaps even in the starting town, it has some empty looking areas still (and those also impose some limits to my project, meaning it will be easier to manage...)

EDIT the Mesa would be a neat place but i know it is "protected" so i'll need another place. Gotta do some scouting later on, the map doesn't really tell how a place looks like.

EDIT damn it, you don't have a good stretch of east-west desert road anywhere. Building twin towers to such place would have been nice. Ah, well, gotta keep looking.

Crispy75

Gotta do some scouting later on, the map doesn't really tell how a place looks like.
If you reveal the menus on the right, one of the options lets you switch to isometric view
damn it, you don't have a good stretch of east-west desert road anywhere.
That problem has a solution :D Srsly though, I love building roads. Maybe one pointing West from the Crisp-o-Sphere at the Northern apex of the spawn road network?
Building twin towers to such place would have been nice. Ah, well, gotta keep looking.

Woorloog

Banned
If you reveal the menus on the right, one of the options lets you switch to isometric view

That problem has a solution :D Srsly though, I love building roads. Maybe one pointing West from the Crisp-o-Sphere at the Northern apex of the spawn road network?

Hmm, not sure. I gotta scout some places in-game first. Also draw blue prints.
Also trying to come up with other ideas as well, feels odd when i have only one building idea.
EDIT and i might drop my requirement for my building to be oriented east-west though watching sunset/sunrise from the top floor would be neat.

Perhaps CnC: Tiberian Dawn base? Someone made a Red Alert base in NeoCraft...

Fuchsdh

Hmm, i'll try Paint.net i guess, have it installed already after all.
As for railways, sure, i'm sure going to build my project close to the railway. Or perhaps even in the starting town, it has some empty looking areas still (and those also impose some limits to my project, meaning it will be easier to manage...)

EDIT the Mesa would be a neat place but i know it is "protected" so i'll need another place. Gotta do some scouting later on, the map doesn't really tell how a place looks like.

EDIT damn it, you don't have a good stretch of east-west desert road anywhere. Building twin towers to such place would have been nice. Ah, well, gotta keep looking.

There's a fair amount of mesa out there. The "protection" was mostly so people didn't strip mine the joint and scar the landscape; if you build a little further out from spawn (around the western town or whatnot) you're prolly golden, just check and see if you've got neighbors who mind.

As for roads, I was planning on eventually extending some of the roads from spawn out my way, but rails take precedence :)

Woorloog

Banned
I could my towers (if that's what i will do) near a railroad too, not really that picky. Just somewhere where they can be seen by passer-bys.
But i have other ideas too, as i think more and more about this...

Fuchsdh

I could my towers (if that's what i will do) near a railroad too, not really that picky. Just somewhere where they can be seen by passer-bys.
But i have other ideas too, as i think more and more about this...

Well if you're building out east there's plenty of places rails aren't currently, but could be--we've got two lines going east, and one hasn't been built up at all.

Here's a (two-week out of date) map of the lines:

0754h84.gif

The cyan (red on the map) line is headed to Nihon's place ENE, but the magenta, or brown, or whatever color the final line heading east can be can be claimed by anyone for a stop.

Speaking of which, I'll update the map this weekend.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps CnC: Tiberian Dawn base? Someone made a Red Alert base in NeoCraft...

It took forever to get all the clay for those bricks and I never did get around to finishing the power plant or working on interiors much. I'm pretty sure that I mined out several swamp biomes of all their clay. :/

Woorloog

Banned
It took forever to get all the clay for those bricks and I never did get around to finishing the power plant or working on interiors much. I'm pretty sure that I mined out several swamp biomes of all their clay. :/

Well, Tiberian buildings don't need bricks so...

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Tiberian buildings don't need bricks so...
Which is a really good thing. I went Red Alert mainly because the buildings were "squarer". The geometry was easier to translate to Minecraft. I'd love to see it if you decide to go for the Tiberian era base.

Woorloog

Banned
Which is a really good thing. I went Red Alert mainly because the buildings were "squarer". The geometry was easier to translate to Minecraft. I'd love to see it if you decide to go for the Tiberian era base.

I guess i'll have to take the challenge then. Gonna be easier than my Windblade. Also warm-up.
ConYard first...

Fuchsdh

Did you do that all by hand or is there some program that converts Minecraft worlds into that (the terrain, that is)? Really nice.

Done by hand in Illustrator; the area around spawn is 1:1 and from there I compressed the distance between objects. Having the dynamap up now makes it a lot easier as well to make updates.

Speaking of updates, you can now take a train from Woolleytown on the orange line a short hop west to the Ice Fortress of one Eskimo Joe.

Advice on lost world data?

My friend was playing single player with a couple of mods (I know buildcraft, don't know the other one) and we decided to try to move that world into a server. Without thinking he moved over the files instead of copying and pasting them, and when he moved them back literally every object in the game world was completely missing. Even the gigantic holes that quarries dug up were filled up as if nothing ever existed there.

I'm trying to figure out 1) what the hell happened, and 2) how to get it back. Where is this information stored?

Vyktal

Also, the server tour will be 7 episodes in total; I've recorded Part 6 already (for Sunday) and Part 7 is called The Far Lands. If you guessed that it's all the places really far from spawn town (like Arkyoto, Charlie's build, Vyktal's fortress, Thorn's nether grinders, Liz and Evil's castle), you'd probably be right.

Oh my! I need to apologise in advance for when you eventually check out the fortress. The walls and main entrance are ~80% done (lots of towers and paths on the walls need building as well as a little something extra which I haven't yet figured out) and we have literally just started to build stuff inside the walls very recently. We have epic plans to do with separate castles on each of the mountain peaks contained within the walls, a town at the base with shops and whatnot, barracks and training grounds for an army of snowmen+golems, secret laboratory, maybe farmlands outside and a train station somewhere out in front of the entrance to connect to the TAMPON..... loads of plans and we're barely 5% there i reckon, not including the walls. Oh well!

Anyway, myself, Fran and Kien have been busy IRL recently which is why we've been on infrequently, but hopefully we will be on more often in future.

Cheers!

Woorloog

Banned
They made 3d models of most of those buildings in the game C&C Renegade. Unfortunately it's not available on Steam, but you might be able to find some YouTube videos on it.

Have the game itself. But its structures look (slightly) different from the original CnC, i'll use the originals as models before Renegade versions.
CnC wikia provides all the pics i need though, along with image searching.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Have the game itself. But its structures look (slightly) different from the original CnC, i'll use the originals as models before Renegade versions.
CnC wikia provides all the pics i need though, along with image searching.

Something about how they tried to explain how a building with such a small footprint could work by building most of it's faculties underground always amused me.

It was a flawed game, but I still enjoyed it. The original C&C was one of my favorite strategy games due to it's simplicity and live acting, (that was such a great feature of the 90's) and being able to enter and detonate the buildings in Renegade was magical to me.

So what I'm trying to say is go for it!

Drazgul

Advice on lost world data?

My friend was playing single player with a couple of mods (I know buildcraft, don't know the other one) and we decided to try to move that world into a server. Without thinking he moved over the files instead of copying and pasting them, and when he moved them back literally every object in the game world was completely missing. Even the gigantic holes that quarries dug up were filled up as if nothing ever existed there.

I'm trying to figure out 1) what the hell happened, and 2) how to get it back. Where is this information stored?

If he doesn't have backup copies, the damage is already done and irreversible.

Top Bottom