• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I've read a bit about Spigot, though I'm not too familiar with it. That might be something Multiplay would have to install. As I said before, there is a dev version of 1.7.5 Bukkit however the rest of the plugins have yet to update.

Been doing some reading and it seems Multiverse has improved in the time since I started working with MultiWorld. Here's what I can do, set up another test server and play around with various dev builds. In the time being I can take down NeoCraft and Dynmap so we can have a more stable server and allow me to focus on the test server. I could play around on the live server but that would likely make things worse then they all ready are. ;)

Gosh, now I feel like everyone's going to be inconvenienced because of me :(

If you want to keep everything as it is right now, it's your call. I know a lot of folks want DynMap to stay up and others are making use of Neocraft via Multiverse, so I don't want to deny them that, even if it's causing the crashes that are causing me issues. I don't want to feel like I'm somehow being a tyrant about these things and demanding changes.

Ranger X

Pardon my ignorance but what is Dynmap? What does this mod do?

Honestly, if its the cause or the partial cause of crashes, it should be removed. Crashing and losing progress is more important than quite any mod...

My own personal view is that I would rather keep Neocraft and Gafland together on the same server and active. Naturally something has to give to enable this to happen so I say disable dynamap and see how things go. If the server is still having problems after that then we can look into separate servers for both worlds

Ranger X

Its a no brainer for me. This map thing is cool but honestly, no matter how cool a map is it shouldn't come against our Minecraft experience in any way. So if its really about lowering the crash possibility, go ahead and disable. There are other ways to have maps of the server anyways if its really important for some.

-Minsc-

Gosh, now I feel like everyone's going to be inconvenienced because of me :(

Don't worry about it. There's no denying the server is experiencing problems. People are losing stuff. We'll just have to rough it like the old days before we had all these modern conveniences. ;)

Edit: This morning I unloaded NeoCraft's nether and end worlds. We'll see if that helps any. :)

Orlandu84

Hi All,

I recently decided to get back into Minecraft, and I was interested in any input on mods and the Neogaf server. Since Minecraft 1.7x does not want to run on my Rig, I am playing 1.6.4 with Forge and Millenaire for single player. What other mods should I look into getting? Secondly, I played on the Neogaf server two years ago. Would my login credentials still work or do I have to renew them? Thanks a lot!

-Minsc-

Hi All,

I recently decided to get back into Minecraft, and I was interested in any input on mods and the Neogaf server. Since Minecraft 1.7x does not want to run on my Rig, I am playing 1.6.4 with Forge and Millenaire for single player. What other mods should I look into getting? Secondly, I played on the Neogaf server two years ago. Would my login credentials still work or do I have to renew them? Thanks a lot!

Hey Orland!

You could try Optifine, it may help get minecraft running smoother. To easily install mods I use Magic Launcher.

NeoCraft is running on 1.7.2 so you'll have to upgrade if you want to play on there. You'll have to post your MC name so I can give you build permissions.

Vlad

Hi All,

As far as mods go, I tend to prefer the pre-done packs as opposed to trying to cobble together a bunch of mods yourself. Once you start adding more than a few, you have to start dealing with block ID conficts and other issues which I've found to just be a pain to sort out.

I know I mentioned it earlier this page, but there's a NeoGAF FTB Server up and running at the moment. In case you're unaware, FTB (Feed The Beast) is one of the more popular mod packs out there, and has a little bit of everything in it.

Edit: Uh hey guys what's goin on

Actual post: I miss MineCraft. I've got 4 jobs going right now and I haven't played in over a week. I'm so sad. I was on a massive quest to connect my spawn area up across my Northern Sea and over to a Mushroom Island and now I'm stuck in the woods miles from home, poor horse trapped in a Village on some far-away continent.

-Minsc-

What did you do Minsc

I just learned that restoring a backup of NeoCraft changed the default world setting in the server config to NeoCraft. That's why permissions were messed up. Should be back now.

If any items happen to be missing just let me know and I'll get everyone fixed up. :)

woolley

Next time you and I are both on I'll give you a ring then.

Which reminds me I should install dropboxes at my Foxlodge too...

Ha, well I probably won't be on until sometime at the end of next week so feel free to help yourself. If I have the door closed you can just break through the wall, just repair it after.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Any updates on what is causing those hard restarts of the server? I noticed it had gotten really bad since Multiverse and the fancy portals were added a few weeks ago. I have barely been able to get any work done on my build as any progress keeps getting wiped. :(

I haven't noticed it being any worse with creative gates installed. The biggest culprits would be multiworld and dynmap combined with a memory leak in 1.7. To my knowledge 1.7.5 is supposed to fix things server side. There is a dev version of CraftBukkit 1.7.5 but the rest of the plugins have yet to update to 1.7.5. If people wish I can remove multiworld and dynmap until 1.7.5 is ready. I doubt it'll fix the resets but it should make them less frequent.

The restarts aren't being caused by a memory leak per say, but rather a memory hogging bug with respect to mobs that is in 1.7. Basically, the chicken riding zombies are to blame. Mobs that are holding objects do not despawn like normal mobs, not even from unloaded chunks when players leave them. And now with chickens spawning underground for chicken riding zombies (baby zombies too), the chickens are laying eggs underground all over the map. And when a zombie comes across said egg, it picks it up, and thusly becomes a "permanent" mob.

Now, this only happens in chunks that players are in. But the egg holding zombies build up over time, and when a player leaves a chunk for another one, the egg holding zombie stays loaded in server memory. This effect propagates all over the map, around every player, and in time the world entities loaded in server memory become too much to handle and blam we get server resets due to either out of memory errors or cpu overload errors.

I doubt that disabling dynamp nor gates would make any difference, as the problem is with 1.7 itself.

Now, that being said, the issue is fixed (supposedly) in the new snapshots and I believe they might be rolling out a 1.7.5 to fix it in the interim, and I know that bukkit team has talked about fixing it themselves, but for now Neocraft is still plagued with this (along with pretty much every other server running 1.7).

Mengy

But think. They're everywhere under your very feet.

Yep. During the day zombies spawn in all the dark unlit caves below, and a percentage of them are chicken riders that are laying eggs. Once you get a large amount of them just roaming around in caves all over the server, especially in unloaded chunks, well that's when the server crashes out. Anytime you ride a horse or go for a walk across the wilderness, anytime you ride a long minecart rail, you are leaving egg holding zombies behind you underground.

The actual fix in 1.8 simply prevents chicken jockies from laying eggs, which pretty much stops the phenomenon completely. 1.8 also adds in multi threading for server worlds, which is also going to help tremendously with server performance.

Oh yeah, and we get new rock types too. :D

Vyktal

Pics of the Pit.

Quake FOV

Looking due west

Looking due west from the balcony

Are you making that Bane-prison from The Dark Knight Rises? Also it looks amazing!

Just wanna say a big thanks to Mengy, Minsc and CharmingCharlie for all the trouble-shooting you've all been doing for the server. It's really appreciated and it's great that the server can be a great place to relax and build stuff :) Apologies if I left anyone out who has also been helping, in which case a big thanks to you too!

-Minsc-

Are you making that Bane-prison from The Dark Knight Rises? Also it looks amazing!

Just wanna say a big thanks to Mengy, Minsc and CharmingCharlie for all the trouble-shooting you've all been doing for the server. It's really appreciated and it's great that the server can be a great place to relax and build stuff :) Apologies if I left anyone out who has also been helping, in which case a big thanks to you too!

I just do what I can, even if it's just patching the place up with a rubber band and a couple bent nails. :)

Orlandu84

Hey Orland!

You could try Optifine, it may help get minecraft running smoother. To easily install mods I use Magic Launcher.

NeoCraft is running on 1.7.2 so you'll have to upgrade if you want to play on there. You'll have to post your MC name so I can give you build permissions.

Thanks Minsc and Vlad for your help. I thought that with the current launcher one could download different versions and switch between them. Accordingly, I have 1.6.4, 1.6.4 with forge, and 1.7.2. If I am wrong about switching versions, I will find out pretty fast when I try to login to the server. On that note, my MC name is Agam_Bellum.

On Vlad's suggestion about the FTB server, I cannot seem to get FTB or Technic to work :( I spent three hours installing and uninstalling Java, tinkering with my firewall, and disabling my anti-virus software to no avail. If I get FTB to work, I will check the server out though.

Yep. During the day zombies spawn in all the dark unlit caves below, and a percentage of them are chicken riders that are laying eggs. Once you get a large amount of them just roaming around in caves all over the server, especially in unloaded chunks, well that's when the server crashes out. Anytime you ride a horse or go for a walk across the wilderness, anytime you ride a long minecart rail, you are leaving egg holding zombies behind you underground.

The actual fix in 1.8 simply prevents chicken jockies from laying eggs, which pretty much stops the phenomenon completely. 1.8 also adds in multi threading for server worlds, which is also going to help tremendously with server performance.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that was a problem since most servers I'm on are in 1.7.5 or snapshots.

But imagine hundreds of zombies, forever loaded in caves on GAFland, eating up memory.

Now double it because NeoCraft is experiencing the same problem.

That would cause these issues, for sure. Best we can do is to hunt down where the zombies are congregating and do some work killing them while waiting for the 1.7.5 CraftBukkit update.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that was a problem since most servers I'm on are in 1.7.5 or snapshots.

But imagine hundreds of zombies, forever loaded in caves on GAFland, eating up memory.

That would cause these issues, for sure. Best we can do is to hunt down where the zombies are congregating and do some work killing them while waiting for the 1.7.5 CraftBukkit update.

-Minsc-

I have a test server set up, I'll see if I can get 1.7.5 running.

Ranger X

LOL did you guys connect today?

They changed the soundtrack for April fools. They are dudes signing and doing the songs with their mouths instead of the real songs. Its funny for at least 2 mins and super annoying. Get in!

Did they change the sound effects too? Cause they're all some guy talking for me. "dig dig dig chop chop chop"

DIG DIG CHOP CHOP BREAK BREAK GRASS GRASS WOOD WOOD STONE STONE SAND SAND LADDER LADDER MOO MOO CLUCK CLUCK OINK OINK WATER WATER THERES WATER HERE WATER WATER

It was amusing for about the first five minutes. It quickly turned annoying beyond reason.

Fuchsdh

Lol didn't log in, missed it. Probably woulda' gotten annoying but I love jokes like that.

At one point they were going to add a feature to the anniversary edition of Halo that would have replaced all the weapons sounds with mouth noises, so this is right up my alley of odd enjoyment :p

Lol didn't log in, missed it. Probably woulda' gotten annoying but I love jokes like that.

At one point they were going to add a feature to the anniversary edition of Halo that would have replaced all the weapons sounds with mouth noises, so this is right up my alley of odd enjoyment :p

If you missed it, you're in luck; you might see what it was like in oh, an hour or so. :)

It's actually a resource pack that the folks at Element Animation made back in February as a joke, and I guess Mojang thought it was funny enough to spring on everyone today. The Element crew made a video "apologizing" for it yesterday :p

-Minsc-

If you missed it, you're in luck; you might see what it was like in oh, an hour or so. :)

It's actually a resource pack that the folks at Element Animation made back in February as a joke, and I guess Mojang thought it was funny enough to spring on everyone today. The Element crew made a video "apologizing" for it yesterday :p

Ahh, cool. It would be awesome to make a pack which keeps some of those sounds, especially the villager and skeleton sounds.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Amidst I believe. It shows "potential" locations where fortresses and stuff will form. I think it does Slime chunks too. If not I believe Chunky does.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Anyway, I ditched that game and rerolled a new game I called "Don't Forget The Link Book" :)

If you want to recover your old world, you can use an external NBT editor to change your position back to the overworld.

Also check to see if the pack comes with Not Enough Items, you would be able to switch to creative mode temporarily and get some obsidian.

When I was playing with Mystcraft, the instructions did not say that books were instantly destroyed by rain. So I learned a few things.

Mengy

You know, a MC world without water is kind of cool. Kind of... apocalyptic.

I've always had this desire to build an underwater village, both community built with player houses and with NPC houses and villagers running around, basically in a huge underwater dome (Charlie!!!!!) where the top of the dome only has like one or two water blocks on it, enough that boats can sail over the dome while still allowing good visibility above. But make it a huge dome where a lot of the ocean floor is exposed and dry and left intact, simply for the surrealness of it. Include farms, animal pens, and of course a community mine down to lava level for mining. Maybe less of a dome but more plate or bowl shaped. In the center of the town and dome would be a tower that went up to sea level with a small gazebo and boat dock piers, not a large building up top because I wouldn't want to create a huge shadow down below, but it would be the entry point into the town below.

It wouldn't be an easy project, we are talking about a LOT of water removal. You would almost need to build an immense underwater mountain in the shape of a dome/bowl out of sand or gravel, then encase it in a layer of glass, and then shovel out all of the sand/gravel. I don't have anywhere near the amount of sand nor gravel to do something like that, lol. Using dirt might be a better choice, harder to remove but more plentiful.

In short Woorlong, yeah it would be cool, LOL.

Fuchsdh

I've always had this desire to build an underwater village, both community built with player houses and with NPC houses and villagers running around, basically in a huge underwater dome (Charlie!!!!!) where the top of the dome only has like one or two water blocks on it, enough that boats can sail over the dome while still allowing good visibility above. But make it a huge dome where a lot of the ocean floor is exposed and dry and left intact, simply for the surrealness of it. Include farms, animal pens, and of course a community mine down to lava level for mining. Maybe less of a dome but more plate or bowl shaped. In the center of the town and dome would be a tower that went up to sea level with a small gazebo and boat dock piers, not a large building up top because I wouldn't want to create a huge shadow down below, but it would be the entry point into the town below.

It wouldn't be an easy project, we are talking about a LOT of water removal. You would almost need to build an immense underwater mountain in the shape of a dome/bowl out of sand or gravel, then encase it in a layer of glass, and then shovel out all of the sand/gravel. I don't have anywhere near the amount of sand nor gravel to do something like that, lol. Using dirt might be a better choice, harder to remove but more plentiful.

Yeah just getting enough sand to make the infill and glass for my 16x16 station right now is obscene...

Crispy75

If you're careful, you don't need to make a completely solid mold to remove the water. You can do it row by row if you keep building and removing walls against each other.

PApFYKW.png

-Minsc-

I remember doing that once (on a much smaller scale than you have planned likely).

Top Bottom