• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

r1chard

If you want to recover your old world, you can use an external NBT editor to change your position back to the overworld.

Also check to see if the pack comes with Not Enough Items, you would be able to switch to creative mode temporarily and get some obsidian.

When I was playing with Mystcraft, the instructions did not say that books were instantly destroyed by rain. So I learned a few things.
I've ended up rolling a much nicer, more fun world in the new game. Starting out spawning on top of a giant tree - next to an ocean, so I could jump off :). I made it my home. I've since created/discovered a new Age which also has giant trees (and bright lighting, glowstone obelisks and ... lakes of blood which I'm sure will come in useful when I figure out what to do with all the buckets of blood I now have) so I made a second home there and set it up as my "hub" to link to various places in my overworld.

I have NEI installed, BTW, but I couldn't get it to give me anything creative-mode-like. I could switch it to "creative" and select something, get the stack of 64 of that thing, but when I tried to put that in my inventory it just disappeared :(

Mystcraft instructions suck ass. It took a wiki page and then a youtube video before I could figure out how to use the stupid writing desk. Personally, I think it's unnecessarily unforgiving, but it does offer some great exploration.

Mystcraft instructions suck ass. It took a wiki page and then a youtube video before I could figure out how to use the stupid writing desk. Personally, I think it's unnecessarily unforgiving, but it does offer some great exploration.

Yep, it's more complex than it used to be, and a lot of the online documentation isn't up to date with it.

r1chard

Yep, it's more complex than it used to be, and a lot of the online documentation isn't up to date with it.

And then after writing that it took me about an hour of incomplete and out of date written and video tutorials to figure out how to get my buckets of blood and Manyullyn into the smeltery (yes, I found a lovely Age with lakes of Manyullyn - unfortunately it's permanently raining there so eventually the AI burden will kill it, but I'm harvesting the Manyullyn as quickly as I can :)

BTW, if you're interested, the most reliable method I found has a seared tank with two faucets on it over a casting basin and casting table for ingots. A single bucket will give you a cube plus an ingot (or two, I don't recall). The benefit of this is that it'll actually drain the whole tank quickly, as opposed to having a tank / faucet / channel - the channel flows really slowly, so about an ingot at a time flows from the tank :(

I haven't figured out how to use pipes for moving the molten metal around - I connected a pipe from the seared tank to the drain intake on the smeltery but nothing happened. I think I need to pump it somehow, but don't know how to do that :) I also failed at making an oil well, so that's probably related :)

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
I have lost my creative focus. Again. Voices in my head are telling me to go back to Direwolf20 pack to avoid the taint of Geostrata and it's non-tool-complient rocks.

(shouldn't we update our FTB Monster server out of the beta pack, or is there an issue with doing that?)

Edit: I am also confused as to why the overworld does not generate cactus.

r1chard

OK, I finally figured out how to get molten metal from a bucket into a smeltery and it's a method that doesn't suck like the faucet/channel one.

I finally noticed that bit in the wooden pipe description about it extracting stuff. That was the key, and once I got that, and a redstone engine going, I finally have a way of reliably and quickly loading up my smeltery with the molten Manyullyn from the lakes I found.

Then of course my daughter decided she wanted the obsidian armour (because Tinker's armour isn't out yet) and then I discovered the modpack I'm using has two kinds of obsidian ingot and ... well, several new machines that grind or otherwise go clunk later, she had her armour. Along the way I discovered a new method of making moss cobblestone that's a lot easier than finding moss, so that was a win too.

Basically: still loving all the cool stuff I'm discovering in these mods this modpack has :)

-Minsc-

Somebody ripped up the ground at Spawns south gate. Not sure what the reason for that was. Anyways, that's all patched up. Since the N, S, E, and W fence gates are not needed anymore I went ahead and removed them. Less mouse clicking for everyone. :)

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Annnnnd Absurditycraft is down.

I just know when I go on my SP world I will lament on the loss of my C.A.R.A.P.A.C.E. MkII armor and why am I not going fast oh god.

Maybe it's time for some creative mode creative.

Ranger X

I am really not lucky with brewing. It doesn't like me.

I was discovering all cool it is because honestly, the steps to create invisible potions are interesting to go through. I wanted such a potion to wander a bit more freely in the Nether because the Gasts are really annoying at hard difficulty. They shoot 2 times more than at normal and from further away, pain in the ass. So I was actually having fun making those potions until I tried them in the Nether...

The potion DOES make you invisible... but the mobs see your equipment therefore that potion is basically useless. How do you progress in this game being naked and with nothing in hands? This is stupid. Useless potion. Bad design. That sure isn't a nice first experience with brewing, I wanted to like it and I thought I finally found a nice purpose for it but no....

:(

Crispy75

I am really not lucky with brewing. It doesn't like me.

I was discovering all cool it is because honestly, the steps to create invisible potions are interesting to go through. I wanted such a potion to wander a bit more freely in the Nether because the Gasts are really annoying at hard difficulty. They shoot 2 times more than at normal and from further away, pain in the ass. So I was actually having fun making those potions until I tried them in the Nether...

The potion DOES make you invisible... but the mobs see your equipment therefore that potion is basically useless. How do you progress in this game being naked and with nothing in hands? This is stupid. Useless potion. Bad design. That sure isn't a nice first experience with brewing, I wanted to like it and I thought I finally found a nice purpose for it but no....

:(

A power 3 bow takes down ghasts in one shot. Easy to do, seeing how big and slow they are.

Whelp over a month ago I started the great and glorious Trans-Aquatic-Mutlilevel-Passenger-Overhead-Navigator or TAMPON for short. Now 13,000 blocks later I am at spawn and have already started the final Train station called the TAMPON Spawn Station or T.S.S (not to be mistaken for Toxic shock syndrome which is also linked with Tampons).

It was a hell of a job trying to squeeze the TAMPON in (isn't it always eh ladies, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more). However I have found some space off shore to the west of spawn that is now connected by a curved bridge :-

blah de blah said:
Oe7G5Xt.png

VgsxaIW.png

So technically speaking you can now walk from spawn all the way to Arkyoto without getting your feet wet (the track to Arkyoto hasn't been finished yet but there is a walkway there)

Whelp over a month ago I started the great and glorious Trans-Aquatic-Mutlilevel-Passenger-Overhead-Navigator or TAMPON for short. Now 13,000 blocks later I am at spawn and have already started the final Train station called the TAMPON Spawn Station or T.S.S (not to be mistaken for Toxic shock syndrome which is also linked with Tampons).

It was a hell of a job trying to squeeze the TAMPON in (isn't it always eh ladies, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more). However I have found some space off shore to the west of spawn that is now connected by a curved bridge :-

So technically speaking you can now walk from spawn all the way to Arkyoto without getting your feet wet (the track to Arkyoto hasn't been finished yet but there is a walkway there)

Ooooo...very nice.

Ranger X

CharmingCharlie
"Knows more about vagina than he uses one".

lol

CharmingCharlie
"Knows more about vagina than he uses one".

lol

I am reliably informed that there be dragons in them there parts. I also heard some bizarre rumour that it is where babies come from .......... really such witchcraft. If such an occurrence does transpire then I am of the view that it should verily be nuked from thy orbit it is surely the only way to be sure.

Erm to make this sorta minecraft related so I don't get banned. I am working down Arks parts (ooheerrr) and hope to have the train link up and running in a day or two. I am hiding the train station in a mountain so as not to "spoil" Arks Geisha compound.

Ark if you are still alive it is up to you if you want to take the train terminal into Arkyoto I will leave that to you.

ZZMitch

Yeah thanks I should have checked there I suppose!

Donated $5USD. I need to get on the server more but am only able to get on late at night due to school so I don't see most people.

-SD-

Banned
Update 1.76 just got released.

https://mojang.com/2014/04/minecraft-1-7-6/
Mojang said:
Unfortunately the 1.7.6 version is not compatible with 1.7.5 (or earlier) servers. Please update your servers to 1.7.6, this is also an important step to prepare them for the upcoming 1.8 release. Servers should automatically update all player profiles to the new format, but please make sure that you are in the correct server mode (online mode/offline mode) when you start the 1.7.6 server for the first time, because profiles are not compatible between these two server modes.

Because this is important, let me repeat that last sentence:
Please make sure that you are in the correct server mode (online mode/offline mode) when you start the 1.7.6 server for the first time, because profiles are not compatible between these two server modes.

ZZMitch

So I don't know much about Minecraft servers...

I tried logging on to the Gaf server a minute ago and couldn't log in because it is still in 1.7.2 and I am on the new 1.7.7 it seems! Would I have to downgrade in order to play on the server?

woolley

I tried logging on to the Gaf server a minute ago and couldn't log in because it is still in 1.7.2 and I am on the new 1.7.7 it seems! Would I have to downgrade in order to play on the server?
yea you need to downgrade. All you have to do is edit your profile on the minecraft launcher and change the version.

Sarcasm

You have to downgrade to 1.7.4 or 1.7.2. In the update news it specifically states that 1.7.7+ is not compatible with 1.7.4 and below, in-case you didn't read them =)

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

Okay, why is there such a thing as an Offline Server Mode, considering the whole point of servers is to be online? And why would not knowing this screw over your whole playerbase?

Can we get the modding API already so the content designers who have much more time and ambition on their hands can start improving Minecraft and not have it severely break between each update?

Sarcasm

Well I would guess Offline means it still runs on the local network. This is just my wild guess but for people like me where I have a local server for my wife and I this would/might get rid of it pinging outside the network and me not having to fiddle with blocking outside access/worrying about random stuff etc.

JUST a guess though. It could literally mean offline and not even run lol >.<

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Well I would guess Offline means it still runs on the local network. This is just my wild guess but for people like me where I have a local server for my wife and I this would/might get rid of it pinging outside the network and me not having to fiddle with blocking outside access/worrying about random stuff etc.

JUST a guess though. It could literally mean offline and not even run lol >.<

I didn't actually look it up yet, but it could also mean "Does it check the official name server to see who is who."

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Can we get the modding API already so the content designers who have much more time and ambition on their hands can start improving Minecraft and not have it severely break between each update?

It might not be obvious nor apparent, but they have actually been taking steps with each update towards implementing the mod api. Small, little baby steps, but steps nontheless. Notch just didn't code the game with mod support in mind, thus Jeb and the gang have had to make changes to the base code in order to allow modders the capability of being able to change all aspects of the game. Things like changing the biome data storage bins, adding support for more item ID's, changing the interface to add mod selection stuff, allowing the game world height to be modified, changing the sound engine to allow mods to add or remove sounds, all of these changes are parts of the mod api slowly implemented over many different updates.

I wish it was going faster too, but it has been progressing glacially, and I can understand why they chose to do it this way. By the time the mod api is "officially" implemented most aspects of it will already be in game and tested.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
It might not be obvious nor apparent, but they have actually been taking steps with each update towards implementing the mod api. Small, little baby steps, but steps nontheless. Notch just didn't code the game with mod support in mind, thus Jeb and the gang have had to make changes to the base code in order to allow modders the capability of being able to change all aspects of the game. Things like changing the biome data storage bins, adding support for more item ID's, changing the interface to add mod selection stuff, allowing the game world height to be modified, changing the sound engine to allow mods to add or remove sounds, all of these changes are parts of the mod api slowly implemented over many different updates.

I wish it was going faster too, but it has been progressing glacially, and I can understand why they chose to do it this way. By the time the mod api is "officially" implemented most aspects of it will already be in game and tested.

I still have concerns with the implementation, unfortunately. Forge took months to be cohesive, having to add API hooks all other the place, with a different methodology then Bukkit. (Client-side vs Server-side, to criminally simplify it) Add to this the Bukkit people don't seem to want to talk to the Forge people, and most major content mods dependent on Forge, and you're looking at a complete re-write.

Ark

I had a dream last night that someone removed my admin powers and I was completely powerless.

Ark if you are still alive it is up to you if you want to take the train terminal into Arkyoto I will leave that to you.

I don't think anyone has built in Arkyoto except for me and Dry, but I planned on having a train terminal there at some point so I'll do that once I get a new PC. Haven't been on because my computer just won't play anything anymore (I tried to play SW:BF2 and it died after less than 3 minutes LOL), now I'm just waiting for the right time to build a new one.

Will probably be after I buy a WiiU for Mario Kart 8. I know, I know.

Many thanks Charlie for finishing off my underwater station. Do you have the sand still? I need more glass :p

Ah no probs. I had the feeling that you were perhaps putting off clearing out all that water ;-). I do have some sand left not to mention a bit of white and black glass. I will leave it in a chest at the underwater station for ya later on when I get on.

I had a dream last night that someone removed my admin powers and I was completely powerless.

Yup it was a dream ....... honestly at no point has Minsc changed the Message of the day to "bow before me minions your new god/ The god Ark has been cast out into the bowels of Apple customer support and will never be seen again".

I have sorta finished the Arkyoto station (you can now get from spawn to Arkyoto by cart). The station is actually built into a sort of mountain so you can't "see it". Once I finish it fully I will chuck up a few renders for those that don't have a computer that can run minecraft <<snigggers>>

Ranger X

So there's a minecart line passing near my place now (Wyzdom).
I am in the surroundings at the north's tip of the jungle (approx Z-0 / X-1680)
Is that your doing Charlie?

It would be cool if I had a station. I can give you a hand building it if you want.

masud

Banned
So there's a minecart line passing near my place now (Wyzdom).
I am in the surroundings at the north's tip of the jungle (approx Z-0 / X-1680)
Is that your doing Charlie?

It would be cool if I had a station. I can give you a hand building it if you want.

I (nytonm) finally found this minecart line after dozens of minutes. Even after you told me you were north of me I still thought you were talking about another build, I'd actually never seen your farm before (that is a really nice spot).

As far as that line it seems like an off shoot to Dry's offshoot to the Green line that goes to Kien and co's dog fortress. To everyone in the area I think we should change the green line so that it runs though dry's place and then into this line Kien built. That way Ranger can have a stop on the actual line. Based on the locations of the stops my place should probably be the off shoot instead of the end of the line.

Top Bottom