• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

So there's a minecart line passing near my place now (Wyzdom).
I am in the surroundings at the north's tip of the jungle (approx Z-0 / X-1680)
Is that your doing Charlie?

It would be cool if I had a station. I can give you a hand building it if you want.

If it is a huge thrusting thing that violates nature and the landscape then yep that is my beloved T.A.M.P.O.N (Trans Aquatic Multilevel Passenger Overhead Navigator). This is what the TAMPON looks like :-

diddle dee said:
YyBlLYw.png

Now the only thing this passes is a small grass pyramid and castle. I did my best to move the TAMPON as far east from the build as possible. If memory serves there is a station close to their (the TAMPON has 11 stations all set 1000 blocks apart).

Edit :-

Just visited the location you gave Wyzdom and that isn't the Tampon. I believe it is Kiens rail link which links his build to Dryuriev's

Strider

So I hadn't played Minecraft in forever but I had the itch to play again. I visited this thread earlier and went over the OT. I was gonna just stop by and ask what are some cool/useful mods people are using but I noticed that Neogaf had a multiplayer server so decided to check it out...

CharmingCharlie showed me around some (thanks again) and it's awesome! I definitely want to spend some more time on the server. However, I forgot even more stuff than I thought. I'm basically complete noob status :( I'm planning on spending a little bit of time in singleplayer to refresh my memory on everything.

Gonna do some searching for mods as well. If there's anything a lot of you are using I'd love some suggestions.

Fuchsdh

Well at some point the cyan line will probably go past/through nihon's place and beyond, which might make it a better line to connect to than the green line. It's a bit ungainly where it's connected right now--might just want to make it a transfer from the main station as opposed to Dry's spur at least.

On the other hand, there's no reason it can't do both--just have the line they've currently built span the green and cyan lines for ease of travel as well.

(BTW--is Dynmap down on purpose per our discussions or is the link in the OP broken?)

Ranger X

Well at some point the cyan line will probably go past/through nihon's place and beyond, which might make it a better line to connect to than the green line. It's a bit ungainly where it's connected right now--might just want to make it a transfer from the main station as opposed to Dry's spur at least.

On the other hand, there's no reason it can't do both--just have the line they've currently built span the green and cyan lines for ease of travel as well.

(BTW--is Dynmap down on purpose per our discussions or is the link in the OP broken?)

Was it you making the rails map?
Where would pass the cyan line? I just wanna make sure it wouldn't pass straight through my surroundings.

Fuchsdh

Yes Dynmap is oof on purpose. Server restarts are much rarer now.

Okey dokey.

Was it you making the rails map?
Where would pass the cyan line? I just wanna make sure it wouldn't pass straight through my surroundings.

Yeah, but the rail maps are purposefully distorted so they're a bit simpler and distances from spawn are scaled for space issues, so it's not useful really as anything beyond the rails :) I assume that you could run the line under or around as you needed; it doesn't need to go in a straight line or anything, and I'm not so obsessed that they have to plow through people's builds because that's more neat :p

Ranger X

What's the location of your place, just so I can make sure?

It's around 1680(X) and 0(Z).
You should spot a visible farm outside. It's also the point there like 5 different biomes are meeting, at the north tip of the jungle. I want to devellop the surroundings as mine and want to eventually build a wall (fortress).

Maybe I should go and build 4 quick pillars in order to show where I want my wall to be just to be sure?

Fuchsdh

It's around 1680(X) and 0(Z).
You should spot a visible farm outside. It's also the point there like 5 different biomes are meeting, at the north tip of the jungle. I want to devellop the surroundings as mine and want to eventually build a wall (fortress).

Maybe I should go and build 4 quick pillars in order to show where I want my wall to be just to be sure?

You might want to just so anyone knows to stay well clear--the draw distance on the server is kind of bad :p

Help! Where can I get mods & skins without contracting malware. My daughter keeps trying to get skins and fills up my PC with malware that is a pain to get rid of.

^ Can use the FTB launcher. Has assorted mod packs and has a few texture packs.

I don't use texture packs and my player skin has been something I made forever ago, so I don't know where to get those safely. Official MC forums, maybe?

Help! Where can I get mods & skins without contracting malware. My daughter keeps trying to get skins and fills up my PC with malware that is a pain to get rid of.

Hey Speculawyer,

There's two different launchers you can go with for pre-assembled mod packs:

Feed The Beast: http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

Technic: http://www.technicpack.net/

Each offers up different packs with different themes to choose from.

As for skins, you may want to try Novaskin's skin editor: http://minecraft.novaskin.me/ You can search ones they have in their database without having to worry about downloading anything malicious.

Sarcasm

Hey Speculawyer,

There's three different launchers you can go with for pre-assembled mod packs:

Atlauncher: http://www.atlauncher.com/

Feed The Beast: http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

Technic: http://www.technicpack.net/

Each offers up different packs with different themes to choose from.

As for skins, you may want to try Novaskin's skin editor: http://minecraft.novaskin.me/ You can search ones they have in their database without having to worry about downloading anything malicious.

Fixed **

AS for some recommendations, depending on system.

On ATL: Vanilla Overhaul, Madpack, Resonant Rise, Sky Factory

FTB: Agrarian Skies, Monster

I used technic once so no comment.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
If you're new to modding, I'd actually recommend Direwolf20's mod pack on the FTB Launcher, if for no other reason than you could follow his let's play on the Minecraft forums and YouTube, he does a semi-decent job of explaining what he does when building and offers up his world download every 10 episodes, so you can take apart his base and see how everything works. The pack contains a good selection of the popular mods.

I do have a few caveats to his pack, I'm not a fan of Morph, which he uses to fly and enter 1x1 spaces (I'd rather use Smart Moving for traveling through 1x1 spaces), and his build design is more practical then aesthetic, so you won't find fantastic decorative mods like Chisel.

Link for world downloads and YouTube, get the pack from FTB: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1513504-direwolf20s-modded-lets-play-series/

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
my player skin has been something I made forever ago, so I don't know where to get those safely. Official MC forums, maybe?

I want to make a new Minecraft skin myself. I've been using Rorschach since I bought the game back in summer of 2010, but I think it's time for a change. I really don't want to use something public again though, I want a skin I can call my own, something no one else has. Now seems like a good time what with the new skin format and all.

Now I just have to think something up and make it....

Crispy75

Not much point in skins on a survival server, really. I spend all my time in full armour, like everybody else. The only bit that's worth changing is the face and I haven't even bothered with that :-/

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Minecraft skins aren't really something that contain malware, you just need to take the same precautions as you would on other Internet sites and then download and change the skin manually at Minecraft.net, rather then using any convoluted skin setting button the website has.

Unfortunately I don't have any site recommendations because they either have a piss-poor search function, no quality filter, or little selection.

As for me, I hopped around with a lot of skins, but I settled for a guy in a grey hoodie and fingerless gloves, a 'Parkour' look that was popular at the time, and edited it a bit to look like one of my old City of Heroes toons. I grafted a MLP Changeling head on him when I was using Direwolf20's pack because lol Morph, and then took the hood part off because the hood was clipping through the helmet of Modular Power Suits.

Not much point in skins on a survival server, really. I spend all my time in full armour, like everybody else. The only bit that's worth changing is the face and I haven't even bothered with that :-/

That's one thing I really hate. Spend so long making a nice skin, and cover it up with ugly ass armor.

Hope one day we can use invisibility potions on armor to make them invisible forever.

Fun episode. It was a nice change watching you build your own stuff (and herd stubborn sheep, hehe).

I liked your tower design with the mixed blocks, it gives it a cool 'aged' look, and I also liked the sheep pens. That's a cool trick with the trap door in a hole btw, I never would have thought of that.

Thanks again for doing your videos, much appreciated!

Sarcasm

For a ghetto mob room..does it have to be 20 blocks away from where I hang out? I know it can't be near spawn but what about my base?

Bentles

For a ghetto mob room..does it have to be 20 blocks away from where I hang out? I know it can't be near spawn but what about my base?
24 to 32 blocks away from you is ideal but you can go further and stuff will still spawn (up to 128 blocks) but not move much (which may or may not be a problem). If it's a spawner you want to be within 16 blocks.
Mob_spawning_ranges.png

Here I am at gaf station. I enjoy hanging out here.

Here I am in front of Nihon Tiger's house. Apparently Mirk fixxed buttons of malfunction. This is also a great place to hang out, because Nihon makes youtube video adventures about neocraft and gafland that are of extremely high quality. His gafland house, AT THE VERY LEAST deserves a shoutout every 10 posts or so at the bare minimum.

And last but not least, the rail line to dry's place. Dry wanted to take my head for the longest time. I negotiated with him and gave him the wither skull I had on my head for the longest time. I had to go and find another of my own. This was a painstaking task as acquiring another wither skull for myself was wasted due to the fact that I could have used said time fapping it to azn women but NOOOOOOO. Dry wanted my precious wither skull head. If I didn't acquiesce, his lil midget minecraft figure would have hunted me for minutes on end...much longer than I would have cared to run away in order to preserve my precious wither skull head...In summary...nobody goes here probably.

P.S.: In summary, I don't know if what I said regarding that last gif is to memory at all. I blame it on tequila....that I drank.

PPS: All great places.

PPPS: Sometimes I think I should wear a helmet IRL just in case...

Ranger X

Who's normally building the stations for the different minecart lines in Gafland?
I'd like to put a standard station near my place and will be glad to help out.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
That's one thing I really hate. Spend so long making a nice skin, and cover it up with ugly ass armor.

Hope one day we can use invisibility potions on armor to make them invisible forever.
Tiz why I like the Modular Powersuits mod. You can make the armor transparent.

Also, since servers can force texture packs, you could make everyone run a texture pack with miminal armor textures. Jolicraft, for example, had diamond sunglasses and jewelry instead of armor.

(I couldn't stand using Jolicraft, but I liked the style. It was just too dark, color-wise)

Fuchsdh

Who's normally building the stations for the different minecart lines in Gafland?
I'd like to put a standard station near my place and will be glad to help out.

I've been building the stations. They're basically all the same layout, just with the roof material changed to match the surroundings (the type of wood, if it's in the forest/savannah, or else sandstone blocks...)

I haven't been on much to extend and double-track the rails, I've been working on the ocean station west of spawn.

Ranger X

I've been building the stations. They're basically all the same layout, just with the roof material changed to match the surroundings (the type of wood, if it's in the forest/savannah, or else sandstone blocks...)

I haven't been on much to extend and double-track the rails, I've been working on the ocean station west of spawn.

Ok, if you still want to make them as "standard" on the line that passes near my place, tell me when you'll be ready to do it and I'll help. You could even just make the track / mechanism part of it at worse, and then I'd do that station or something.

Ark

What version of Minecraft is the server running on? I've just built a new computer (told you all I would!) yesterday and I can FINALLY PLAY MINECRAFT AT A SMOOTH SOLID FRAMERATE OVER 100 INSTEAD OF LIKE 30 ON A GOOD DAY AND OVERHEATING EVERY 15 MINUTES HAHAHAHAHA.

Yes it's hilarious that I don't know what version of Minecraft my own server is using.

1.7.2/1.7.4

Thank you :)

Ranger X

LOL my slime farm is apparently working!

First time I am slained by slimes I think. I went and took too many pics, got surrounded...

SlimeFarm01_zps943e4073.png

Recall

Sorry to bump but is this thread for the console versions too or just PC? Would like to play with some people on the PS3 version as currently playing on my lonesome is a bit dull.

-Minsc-

What version of Minecraft is the server running on? I've just built a new computer (told you all I would!) yesterday and I can FINALLY PLAY MINECRAFT AT A SMOOTH SOLID FRAMERATE OVER 100 INSTEAD OF LIKE 30 ON A GOOD DAY AND OVERHEATING EVERY 15 MINUTES HAHAHAHAHA.

Yes it's hilarious that I don't know what version of Minecraft my own server is using.

Thank you :)

You can use up to and including the 1.7.5 client.

Sorry to bump but is this thread for the console versions too or just PC? Would like to play with some people on the PS3 version as currently playing on my lonesome is a bit dull.

While we welcome console users to the discussion I believe there is a separate console thread. You may have better luck finding people to play with there.

HEY JERKWADS!

ASHGADIA IS STILL OPEN AND JUNK! IF YOU GET BORED OF BEING IN SURVIVAL (BECAUSE, AS WE ALL KNOW, SURVIVAL IS FOR PUSSIES), THEN COME ON DOWN TO ASHGADIA ON THE CREATIVE MAP AND BUILD SOME USELESS CRAP THAT NO ONE WILL EVER SEE OR USE!

EMPTY PLOTS ARE AVAILABLE AT LOW LOW PRICES!

CONTACT YOUR NEAREST DRY FOR MORE DETAILS!

-DRY "Better Than You" URIEV VII

Ashgadia © 1843, All Rights Reserved

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New world customization options look crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdgMwJyE6w

Wow, that looks incredible. Talk about customization options:

Mojang said:
Here's a quick preview of an upcoming feature for Minecraft 1.8 which will allow players to create their own wild and crazy terrain!
There are 16 sliders which can be used to affect various aspects of Minecraft's terrain generator, but you can also type in values directly. You also have complete control over things like the sea level and what structures you want to generate.
We've also supplied a set of seven presets that we think players will find interesting, including a world made of water up to the top of the map, and the return of floating islands.

You can save presets even, this is great. I could spend days just experimenting with this shit.

Yep, I think it's time I start a brand new single player main world again.

Wow, that looks incredible. Talk about customization options:

You can save presets even, this is great. I could spend days just experimenting with this shit.

Yep, I think it's time I start a brand new single player main world again.

This will be great for UHC stuff, especially generating specific maps for specific gametypes.

Ranger X

Those new world creation options are totally awesome, there's all the different parameters BUT we can't have a world size or something?

Am I the only fool in this world who would like a limited world? I mean, I have this fantasy to actually "master" a world of a given size, strip it of all its ressources of prevent any bad mob to spawn, stuff like that. Might be an alien.

Fuchsdh

Those new world creation options are totally awesome, there's all the different parameters BUT we can't have a world size or something?

Am I the only fool in this world who would like a limited world? I mean, I have this fantasy to actually "master" a world of a given size, strip it of all its ressources of prevent any bad mob to spawn, stuff like that. Might be an alien.

Nah, that was actually an appeal to me of the Xbox 360 version. I knew what I had to work with.

Top Bottom