• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well my laptop isn't working anymore which is why I haven't been on. I turn it on and it locks up after 5 mins even with nothing running. So if anyone wants to finish the nether tunnels go ahead. I have a room set up inside the entrance of the gray tunnel were I store stuff and cook the stone. I have orange clay and about 20 chests of cobble at my house that can be used.

Its an easy design, 3 blocks of stained clay,3 blocks of colored glass, then 3 blocks of stained clay followed by the stone brick pillar. I gave it a fairly simple design so that it can be manipulated to easily add more tunnels without ruining the look of it and its easily manipulated to stay looking nice. But if anyone thinks they can make it better then go ahead.

I wasn't going to extend the red line past were it stops now at the last portal but your open to do more. The gray hall stops abruptly because it will go straight into a set up area with portals and I hadn't worked out what I wanted to do there. The orange hallway will be the hardest because as of now it isn't straight, changes levels and ha the most tunnels connected to it.

So if anyone wants to take it up have fun. :p

I volunteer for the black (dark brown?) line. It goes towards my flower farm anyway, and I'd like to link my portal up to the new nice nether network.

woolley

I volunteer for the black (dark brown?) line. It goes towards my flower farm anyway, and I'd like to link my portal up to the new nice nether network.
Its suppose to be gray but you know those pesky clay blocks. You can change it, I was already invested in the color so I kept it.

woolley

Oh, and the glow stone is suppose to have six blocks between them. I didn't start them all the same in the tunnels just because I thought it would be better to start them where they would look the best. And I covered to roofs with cobble stairs and half slabs to protect the glowstone and make the tunnels look nicer from the outside.

Edit: And the hub ceiling is not allowed to be changed. It is my ugly little masterpiece and must not be altered in any way.

Ranger X

Actually its not ugly and that new Nether network looks good. And for some reason it fits so much with the Nether music. I love the Nether music

Mengy

Its suppose to be gray but you know those pesky clay blocks. You can change it, I was already invested in the color so I kept it.

Okay, I'll keep it gray then. The clay looked brown to me, wasn't sure about the glass. I'll just bring some of a few colors and match it up, heh.

-Minsc-

you have to be careful with that because it could mess up the linkage.

Typically I've found elevation has no effect on portal linkage. It's possible using exact Y-coordinates may allow more than one portal in the same X-Z space. I've always been curious to see if this could be done, though never actually tested it.

Ranger X

Seriously I just think the game links the nearest portals. Im pretty sure it would be possible to have 2 different portal pair at the same XZ but not the same Y

woolley

Typically I've found elevation has no effect on portal linkage. It's possible using exact Y-coordinates may allow more than one portal in the same X-Z space. I've always been curious to see if this could be done, though never actually tested it.
Normally it doesn't but there is still a chance where the x and z are correct on both portals but they still clash and in that case you would have to change the y.

Anyway I think you might be able to just make the new path completely straight then make new tunnels to the portals instead of moving them around.

-SD-

Banned
@Minsc

I think it'd be nice to let people know the maximum Minecraft version the server is supporting. So, could you add "Latest supported version x.xx", or something like that, into the log in/greeting text as we enter the server?

-Minsc-

@Minsc

I think it'd be nice to let people know the maximum Minecraft version the server is supporting. So, could you add "Latest supported version x.xx", or something like that, into the log in/greeting text as we enter the server?

I could but it's a little redundant. If you can enter the server then the sever version matches that of your client. When your client does not match up with the server it tells you what version the server is running at the server select screen.

Ark

Makes more sense to pit that in the OP. I think we can change the message that shows on the server listing too to include that.

Mengy

Makes more sense to pit that in the OP. I think we can change the message that shows on the server listing too to include that.

It's already in the OP, right next to the Neocraft server address statement.

Speaking of the OP, I was thinking about this, but the video section is super outdated and it's definitely missing one certain server-related video series *cough* along with links to people who are actually still recording the game (I think X hasn't played it in a long, long time). Any chance I could possibly help revise that?

I'd also like to throw in a section about modded Minecraft but considering space, it might have to wait until OT4.

stoff

btw, thanks for listing me so quickly.
Not sure how often I'll play, as Mincreaft comes pretty much in bursts for me.
But we'll see each other around, I guess.

-Minsc-

I went ahead and did it anyway. There's a new description on the server listing and we have a snazzy new welcome message when we log in to the server.

As for the OP, I've always found it a bit congested. Any suggestions as to how to clean it up?

Mengy

I went ahead and did it anyway. There's a new description on the server listing and we have a snazzy new welcome message when we log in to the server.

As for the OP, I've always found it a bit congested. Any suggestions as to how to clean it up?

Yeah, I've thought about ways to improve it. I pretty much just took what Brazil did for OT2 and updated it for OT3, since we were in such a rush to get a new thread started at the time. Any suggestions would be welcome, I actually started a new banner and graphics and such, just couldn't get it all done in time before the last thread hit 400.

Nihon, yeah I do need to update the video links. I could have sworn I already had you in it, must have been in the first OT I started working on before I just took Brazil's and updated it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sounds to me like you just want the xbox/xbone edition. I don't see why people who bought the game in alpha are so special. They just found it first. I didn't buy it to support Notch. I bought it because it was fucking awesome and scary and I could build whatever I wanted. And I'm more than happy with what I got for my money.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Are you guys just yankin my chain or something? It was pretty clear that buying the game in alpha would get you something as a bonus for supporting the game in it's infancy.

It's not something that I made up, and it's not an opinion that only I have. A lot of people aren't too happy about it.

How is Xbox/one/ps3/4/pocket not a different version of minecraft? It's the same exact game, you play it with a controller instead.

Alpha/Beta players are no different, except Alpha players funded notch to fund Mojang and work fulltime on his game that continued to grow instead of stagnate and become the behemoth it is now.

I mean, after 50 million copies sold or whatever, would it really be that big of a deal to hand out a few xbox codes? There's no way every single alpha user would redeem them all anyway. If your definition of version is regulated by a platform to platform basis then you have to admit that there was at least a modicum of misleading there. You can't read that and say that there isn't some incentive to buy the Alpha other than just price.

At this point, anything would suffice.

Let me ask you this guys. What exactly would all future 'versions' mean to you anyway? He makes a pretty clear distinction between the word 'versions', 'updates', and 'bug patches' in that post there, and that bonus was going away when the game went into beta.

What exactly do you think Alpha players are entitled to based on what he's typing up there? Is it a clarification he simply should've had a lawyer write in legalese so it was more clear, that this version of the game would also get all 'updates' in the future? Something lost in translation? Or was there actually something to entice people to buy the game and buy it quickly that hasn't been fulfilled for any number of reason?

Honestly I was thinking if I got the alpha version I wouldn't have to buy new zones like The Nether since that had just come out when I got it, but so far there's been no advantage to getting it early.

Ranger X

He said "versions" and it meant all future versions of the game at no charge. So basically you paid 5$ instead of 20$. He made himself clear later that it didn't mean "versions on all platform". I mean, even at the time he said updates would be free (talking PC version) he had no plan to release it on console, he actually didn't even wanted to do it. He got convinced later.

So like it or not, you are living on a false promise you made up...

Sarcasm

Besides the point alpha was before Kickstart Era and as far as I seen the console versions aren't even in the same version of minecraft. I think they are even deciding whether to raise the size or remove the world size which is pretty small.

Honestly I don't care about getting meaningless perks if I got the game cheap to begin with. There is a reason why I haven't backed anything on Kickstart cause from my browsing you can spend a dollar get nothing or fifteen bucks for just the game, sometimes more like twenty five which is the cost of minecraft for the pc.

The next tiers from what I seen are typically laugh worthy.

I bought Mc at the very start for like five bucks and I already get more than the console versions which is honestly more than what lame junk you get with the tiers in Kickstart.

Mengy

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Are you guys just yankin my chain or something? It was pretty clear that buying the game in alpha would get you something as a bonus for supporting the game in it's infancy.

Yes, it was clearly stated that buying the game in alpha would get you free updates to the game for life. The game you bought. The PC game you bought. That was clear, and anything else you read into that (between the lines) is your own deception and misconception.

LAUGHTREY said:
It's not something that I made up, and it's not an opinion that only I have.

Yep, yeah, it kind of is.

LAUGHTREY said:
How is Xbox/one/ps3/4/pocket not a different version of minecraft? It's the same exact game, you play it with a controller instead.

By "version" Mojang meant version numbers of the PC game, which was the only platform even contemplated being released on back in the alpha days. Any other thing you read into was your own delusion.

LAUGHTREY said:
I mean, after 50 million copies sold or whatever, would it really be that big of a deal to hand out a few xbox codes? There's no way every single alpha user would redeem them all anyway. If your definition of version is regulated by a platform to platform basis then you have to admit that there was at least a modicum of misleading there. You can't read that and say that there isn't some incentive to buy the Alpha other than just price.

There was no misleading on the part of Mojang, you are just greedily asking for things you didn't buy because you feel justified in helping them achieve their success. And yeah, the biggest incentive for buying during alpha was getting the game for a cheap price. Plus the free updates for life for the PC version that you were buying, which was the only version that even existed or had an inkling of ever existing back then.

LAUGHTREY said:
At this point, anything would suffice.

You got a lot for your alpha price, and you got exactly what you were promised. You are just trying to change the deal years after the fact and get free hand outs, and attempting to justify it to an internet forum.

Sorry man, your argument is empty, and I don't understand why you feel so entitled to a free Xbox copy of the game. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a neat gesture to the alpha buyers on Mojang's part, but I don't understand why you actually feel like it is warranted, or how you think that you are being lied to or robbed for not getting other platform versions for free.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
LAUGHTREY, you're quoting a blog post, not the EULA.

Here's what apparently passed for an EULA back in the Alpha days (spacing adjusted for ease of reading):

What you get for purchasing

Please note that Minecraft is currently a work in progress and NOT a finished product! The sandbox mode [is] available right now. However, you may buy a discounted premium account today, which will unlock the features of all future versions up to and including the final with the full game!

As we at Mojang continue to release more complete builds of the game, we will also be reducing the discount gradually until we reach the final version and full price of the product. So the earlier you buy, the better value you get! Although we are very passionate about this project, we cannot guarantee that it will be completed - that's why we offer the discounted price

When you purchase the game, you pay for it as it is right now. Future updates are an added bonus.

So you weren't promised "all future versions," which could arguably include the XBox 360 "version" or the smartphone "version." Instead, you were promised "all future versions up to and including the final [version] with the full game." To my mind, this erases the ambiguity that exists in the blog post you quoted. It's clearly referring to the different releases of the same software (i.e., version 1.0 and version 1.7.4 and so forth), not then-unplanned "versions" of the game released for different platforms.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
He said "versions" and it meant all future versions of the game at no charge. So basically you paid 5$ instead of 20$. He made himself clear later that it didn't mean "versions on all platform". I mean, even at the time he said updates would be free (talking PC version) he had no plan to release it on console, he actually didn't even wanted to do it. He got convinced later.

So like it or not, you are living on a false promise you made up...

What's false about it? In that post he removes that line about all versions, yet alpha and beta have gotten all 'versions' so far. So why even have that there in the first place, and then remove it?

You can't ignore the fact that there was something that alpha was supposed to get over beta, but that hasn't been the case.

Ranger X

What's false about it? In that post he removes that line about all versions, yet alpha and beta have gotten all 'versions' so far. So why even have that there in the first place, and then remove it?

You can't ignore the fact that there was something that alpha was supposed to get over beta, but that hasn't been the case.

Still he meant "updates" and at first he used the word "version". And at that time there wasn't even question of versions on other platforms so it meant "PC versions". That's all there is to it really. You will not get something more and Notch never promised you more. And do you really need more? I don't understand the obsession. If at least there really was a promise to begin with. And continue to ignore what you got over beta users: the game for 10$ less...

Crispy75

Your ense of entitlement is staggering :D

It's a great game. You got a good price.

Mengy

I've said this twice now, so this is the last time I'm going to explain it to you:

BY VERSIONS NOTCH MEANT UPDATES TO THE GAME ON THE PC. That was very clear at the time the game was in alpha.

He removed the clause because now anyone who buys Minecraft ever gets all updates for free for life FOR THE PLATFORM THEY HAVE BOUGHT THE GAME FOR. Originally this was only going to be an alpha thing and anyone who bought the game after release would have to pay for "expansions", but Notch later changed his mind for two reasons:1) he didn't think it was fair to future customers, and 2) the game was successful with the model he had during alpha / beta, so why fuss with it.

-Minsc-

Back around 2005 I bought and played a game called Phantasy Star Universe. This retailed for $60 (CND). When its expansion released I paid full retail price again ($50?). During my playtime over the course of 1.5-2 years I paid a monthly fee of $10-15 to access Sega's online servers. These online servers went offline over a few years ago, taking my character data with them.

I bought Minecraft during the Beta for $15-20 (don't exactly remember how much. The only money I've paid for playing online is donations voluntarily given to Ark. I even paid for one month of server hosting to test out and get 1.7.2 up and running. None of that money went to Mr. Notch. If NeoCraft ever goes down I have access to the entirety of the world files. For as much gameplay Minecraft has given me these past few years I have hardly scratched its surface. There's a whole world of mods out there for me to tap into some day.

Now, we all do rib Mojang for their seemingly slow implementation of what we consider no-brainer features. At the end of the day though we know how much of a deal we got.

You are entitled to your opinion, nothing wrong with that. If you are looking for people to sympathize you'll likely be a lone warrior in this thread. We've done a good job of outlining our views. All versions meant PC versions, it's just common sense. :) Mostly now we are all just bewildered as to why you find this to be such a big deal.

Mengy

Jeb has tweeted about second new ocean block, it will be called Sea Lantern?

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/471968331927654400

No idea what it looks like or even what it actually is yet. Maybe an underwater plant? Or a glowing block of some kind? No idea, but 1.8 is looking to contain the water biome changes that were supposed to be in 1.7 after all. Hopefully the gravel floors go away, because I hate them so much.

Fuchsdh

No idea what it looks like or even what it actually is yet. Maybe an underwater plant? Or a glowing block of some kind? No idea, but 1.8 is looking to contain the water biome changes that were supposed to be in 1.7 after all. Hopefully the gravel floors go away, because I hate them so much.

What was under there before gravel? Sand and clay?

I like having easier access to gravel but having it cover the entire ocean seems a bit unnecessary.

Sweet jeebus, are we actually getting some sort of underwater update? Hope there's a lot more than a sea lantern and some kind of shiny prismarine.

Mengy

Sweet jeebus, are we actually getting some sort of underwater update? Hope there's a lot more than a sea lantern and some kind of shiny prismarine.

All I really want from an underwater update is for them to give us a reason to go underwater in the first place. Make some new blocks that can only be found in deep oceans, blocks that have unique uses. Include a crop or plant that can only be found deep underwater, like a seaweed or coral. Then create an ore or two that can only spawn in deep ocean biomes at like Y < 16, in the diamond range, to give us a reason to go mining deep underwater. Add those few things and suddenly we have reasons to bother with diving, respiration helmets, and water breathing potions. Simple.

Ranger X

Ok so, let me guess. Just like glowstone, prismarine will glow and be a new underwater block that will be used (amongst other things I hope) to make underwater lamps.

Fuchsdh

Ok so, let me guess. Just like glowstone, prismarine will glow and be a new underwater block that will be used (amongst other things I hope) to make underwater lamps.

I'd love for a luminous material that doesn't break apart like glowstone (or require trips to the Nether.)

Bentles

Oh man it would make a lot of sense for this to be an alternate source of glowstone. Then we could finally farm it instead of it becoming impossible to find for miles on servers.

EDIT: Lol I'm assuming it's a plant for some reason.

Top Bottom