• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

For me, Splatoon looked like the most fun game out of all of E3.

On another note, it sure looks like 1.8 is shaping up to be quite the large update! So many new blocks. I hope there's a lot more that they haven't teased/shown.

Hi new page!

-Minsc-

For me, Splatoon looked like the most fun game out of all of E3.

On another note, it sure looks like 1.8 is shaping up to be quite the large update! So many new blocks. I hope there's a lot more that they haven't teased/shown.

Hi new page!

I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to reload ocean chunks to get the new stuff without making things look like a huge mess.

Grinchy

Banned
All this Wii U talk. Definitely go buy one. My brother bought one and hooked it up to my TV (since it's in our main room with the couch). We've played it every day since. Can't get enough Mario Kart and SMBU.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
belucheez said:
I feel like Halo MCC will probably be release on PC at some point. They didn't really deny it when they were being asked. Just the whole "not currently in the plans" thing.

Yeah, I'd hope it would be on PC at some point, but seeing as this could be an effective mover for X1's they might choose not to ever do that. I might just wait a month or two after it releases to be sure there isn't a PC announcement afterwards.

belucheez said:
Course Dirt is being added to the game. Dirt block that grass cannot grow on.

http://imgur.com/a/MAdzw#0

ZugrKh1.png

Sweet, a new use for gravel! It seems to look the same as normal dirt, will be very hard to tell them apart in chests. Hopefully the new coarse dirt is at least labeled as such when you hover over it in inventorys. Will be nice to make dirt paths through grassy areas now though!

1.8 is shaping up to be a fantastic update. I mean holy christ: slime blocks, six new stone types, two new underwater specific blocks, sponges in game, a new water mob, craftable mossy stone, enchanting improvements, new dirt type with crafting recipe, world generation customization. And I'm probably forgetting some stuff, and they might not be done yet.... o_O

-Minsc-

You know, one of the reasons I believe I'm so taken in by Splatoon is the visual style and core fun gameplay takes me back to being a child of the early 90's. I can see Splatoon being looked back upon by the ten year olds of today like we look back on games like Super Mario Kart.

Mengy

You know, one of the reasons I believe I'm so taken in by Splatoon is the visual style and core fun gameplay takes me back to being a child of the early 90's. I can see Splatoon being looked back upon by the ten year olds of today like we look back on games like Super Mario Kart.

It strikes me as a game that would have fit right in on the Sega Dreamcast, I think that's why I am so taken with it. Not just the looks of it but the creative twist on the shooter genre just scream old Sega to me. I saw a gameplay video over lunch and even the music and sound effects are freakin awesome. If it was on steam for pre-order I'd have bought it already.

On a Minecraft note, the new sea lantern lighted block will be animated with a kind of water rippling texture effect, looks kind of nice. I hope they give us a way to craft it too, because I could see myself using it as lighting every freakin where I can.

http://www.gfycat.com/CleanEqualArawana

Fuchsdh

It strikes me as a game that would have fit right in on the Sega Dreamcast, I think that's why I am so taken with it. Not just the looks of it but the creative twist on the shooter genre just scream old Sega to me. I saw a gameplay video over lunch and even the music and sound effects are freakin awesome. If it was on steam for pre-order I'd have bought it already.

On a Minecraft note, the new sea lantern lighted block will be animated with a kind of water rippling texture effect, looks kind of nice. I hope they give us a way to craft it too, because I could see myself using it as lighting every freakin where I can.

http://www.gfycat.com/CleanEqualArawana

A lighting block that looks nicer than glowstone is certainly a welcome addition.

Fuchsdh

Blog post clarifying the whole server monetization drama :
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

Seems very reasonable.

Seems like according to a strict interpretation of that, Ark wouldn't be allowed to "hold back" the /back command in exchange for donations, but I don't think anything about the NeoCraft servers would be considered abusive or merit recognition—ours are clearly not the kinds of servers they're targeting with these rules.

Ark

Seems like according to a strict interpretation of that, Ark wouldn't be allowed to "hold back" the /back command in exchange for donations, but I don't think anything about the NeoCraft servers would be considered abusive or merit recognition—ours are clearly not the kinds of servers they're targeting with these rules.

feel_straight_after.gif.gif

BRING IT ALL DOWN

You blues still get your coloured name change, as it's just cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay.

Personally I feel the /back command makes the game too easy.
If I died in a far off cave and didn't have F3 on at the time, I'd use it

-Minsc-

You blues still get your coloured name change, as it's just cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay.

Personally I feel the /back command makes the game too easy.
If I died in a far off cave and didn't have F3 on at the time, I'd use it

To be fair, /back-ing to your death point usually leads to another death.

Ranger X

Not like the /back command feels like cheating. It basically doesn't save you from dying and since you have a warp home, why not having a warp back where you were. Im used to it now and would probably feel spelunking or building is more tedious without it.

Hey Minecraft-Gaf, a friend of mine wanted me to ask you all a question.

Is there a minecraft server rental that you would recommend, that is also friendly to mods like tekkit? He doesn't have a whole lot of server knowledge, but we have been wanting to start one up for a while now.

Ark

Hey Minecraft-Gaf, a friend of mine wanted me to ask you all a question.

Is there a minecraft server rental that you would recommend, that is also friendly to mods like tekkit? He doesn't have a whole lot of server knowledge, but we have been wanting to start one up for a while now.

Multiplay are pretty good. They're not the cheapest but their control panel makes your life a lot easier.

kidko

I rely on /back now that I'm a dad and never really know how long my play sessions will be. I'd rather not rely on it so much in a perfect world but time is of the essence now

-Minsc-

I rely on /back now that I'm a dad and never really know how long my play sessions will be. I'd rather not rely on it so much in a perfect world but time is of the essence now

That's one reason why I don't look down on those who build in creative mode. There's only so many hours in a day and many don't want to make Minecraft into a job.

Hey guys, I've commandeered a patch of soil just behind the warp gate at spawn and built a Community Center. No more little chests at the sign boards!

ZAmgusK.jpg

Free to dump your unwanted materials here, free to take what you need.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of new construction, since I wasn't doing anything with my spawn house I tore it down (for the third time) and put up a library.

Inside are whatever books people want to write and add. I was planning on making little travelogues for those people whose builds are mostly complete too.

In the lobby there's a chest with enchant books for anyone who wants them.

Fuchsdh

Thanks to whoever added books to the library!

Also, you shoulda' signed them!

(To add to the bonfire of wishes for future updates, being able to give your book a two line title would be pretty great....)

Crispy75

I have discovered a handy Minecraft Fact:

When exiting a minecart with L-Shift, the game will teleport you ANYWHERE IN THE FUCKING UNIVERSE APART FROM WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, LIKE, I DUNNO, IN MID AIR OVER A 100 BLOCK DROP.

Fuchsdh

When exiting a minecart with L-Shift, the game will teleport you ANYWHERE IN THE FUCKING UNIVERSE APART FROM WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, LIKE, I DUNNO, IN MID AIR OVER A 100 BLOCK DROP.

It is a bit random. I assumed it would stick you where your cursor is pointed but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Philia

Holy crap, got the 1/256 chance of 4 chicks spawning from a thrown egg. That's just crazy, I had that happen to me in SP (and wisely throwing it in my gated farmland) and I had to go look it up.

1 out of 256 chance. Nuttier even still, it was something like my first egg too in that world.

r1chard

Also when waking up from sleep the game will sometimes place you inside a solid wall. Oh yes. Minecraft.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So does anyone here own the PSN version?

Was curious as to how it was. Am able to get it for ~$10 and was just wondering if it's worth it considering the free Vita copy + PS4 upgrade is coming in August.

Bentles

Yeah, I think it has something to do with the doors and frames on either side of my bed.

Bed.png

Wow this is really interesting now. I tried recreating this in a test world and couldn't get it to spawn me anywhere interesting. Which block surrounding the bed do you spawn above?

I did a few more experiments to learn more about the glitch.

I figured out you can do the trick with:
glass, glass panes, tnt, leaves and glowstone.

Neither doors nor item frames seemed to work in any configuration I tried.

I also learned there's a default position where a bed will place you for any bed orientation. If you place one of the blocks I listed above in the default block where the bed would place your feet, and leave an air block above that (or use another of the blocks that work), then above that you can place a column of any block that you can collide with and so long as you never leave 2 air spaces you will always spawn on top of that column when you die.

I might try and make some sort of weird death elevator out of this.

-Minsc-

Wow this is really interesting now. I tried recreating this in a test world and couldn't get it to spawn me anywhere interesting. Which block surrounding the bed do you spawn above?

I did a few more experiments to learn more about the glitch.

I figured out you can do the trick with:
glass, glass panes, tnt, leaves and glowstone.

Neither doors nor item frames seemed to work in any configuration I tried.

I also learned there's a default position where a bed will place you for any bed orientation. If you place one of the blocks I listed above in the default block where the bed would place your feet, and leave an air block above that (or use another of the blocks that work), then above that you can place a column of any block that you can collide with and so long as you never leave 2 air spaces you will always spawn on top of that column when you die.

I might try and make some sort of weird death elevator out of this.

Here:

bedspawn.png

This corresponds to the block right of the bed head. If I use my special mod command "/home bed" I spawn normally on that block. For some reason after a death I spawn on the corner of the block which pushes me up onto the roof. Possible the server handles the death spawn point a little differently than in vanilla single player.

Philia

I forgot how enjoyable peaceful mode was for exploration.

In one world, I found 2 desert towns nearby each other and 3 temples. LOADS of loot just from that. Awesome. I also found out that there's villages in the savannas so I trekked everywhere. Sure enough, eventually found one. -17, 71, 136 to 1192, 66, 4719.

I have yet found a jungle biome, I just keep finding roofed forests. I really want to find that jungle temple that I've by conscience found some time ago in another world without realizing its a generated structure.

Its good to play minecraft without hard mode breathing down on your back. I should install the creeper mod for my sp games.

Philia

Explored some more and I suddenly see this. They say horse herds are rare, but this is an AMAZING sight to behold. There's even donkeys nearby.

T8kU1xe.png

I'm gonna call this the Equestrian Isle because holy shit.

Gonna build a nice brick house here and pen all of these lovely ponies. :3

Fuchsdh

In one world, I found 2 desert towns nearby each other and 3 temples. LOADS of loot just from that. Awesome. I also found out that there's villages in the savannas so I trekked everywhere. Sure enough, eventually found one. -17, 71, 136 to 1192, 66, 4719.

I have yet found a jungle biome, I just keep finding roofed forests. I really want to find that jungle temple that I've by conscience found some time ago in another world without realizing its a generated structure.

Its good to play minecraft without hard mode breathing down on your back. I should install the creeper mod for my sp games.

Is there a way to force more structures to spawn? I've never come across jungle temples ever (do we have one in GAFLand?)

Mengy

Personally I can't stand playing the game in peaceful. The danger is what makes exploration fun for me. It's what drives me to build bases and farms and armor and weapons and enchant things. Without a threat of any kind I get bored of the game. Especially spelunking, the best part of it for me is fighting the waves of monsters back as you secure the caves. Without that its just running around digging ores.

Top Bottom