• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Philia

Personally I can't stand playing the game in peaceful. The danger is what makes exploration fun for me. It's what drives me to build bases and farms and armor and weapons and enchant things. Without a threat of any kind I get bored of the game. Especially spelunking, the best part of it for me is fighting the waves of monsters back as you secure the caves. Without that its just running around digging ores.

I should phrase it more by saying exploring by trekking across the surface 100% of the time.

Philia

GL18hpy.png

These are the ones I've found and penned. The two grays is a question mark, I found one but not sure which one it was before I accidentally killed him (flew with him on lead and he must had fallen off).

This area is FANTASTIC for anyone who wants a major headstart on breeding all of the ponies. :3 I also had found a nice imgur list that details the differences between the white/white horses and couple of the black ones while I used this image from minecraft wikia to check them off.

http://imgur.com/a/2AFtq

This is the seed and the coordinates for anyone who is interested in having a nice collection of ponies. The spawn point of the world is terrific too, the desert had 2 neighboring villages, and 3 desert temples for you to loot.

7169463133465677 and the coordinates for the Equestrian lands is at -14, 69, 5467 and they should be all around you. :D

EDIT: I apparently had found the Paint flaxen chestnut. (Blonde brown pony with white paint.) Just need to mark that off too.

Double EDIT: Strangely I got two new grays from other colored (no white) breeds somehow. So it wouldn't hurt to just try to get them all to breed. You never know. :3

These are the ones I've found and penned. The two grays is a question mark, I found one but not sure which one it was before I accidentally killed him (flew with him on lead and he must had fallen off).

This area is FANTASTIC for anyone who wants a major headstart on breeding all of the ponies. :3 I also had found a nice imgur list that details the differences between the white/white horses and couple of the black ones while I used this image from minecraft wikia to check them off.

http://imgur.com/a/2AFtq

This is the seed and the coordinates for anyone who is interested in having a nice collection of ponies. The spawn point of the world is terrific too, the desert had 2 neighboring villages, and 3 desert temples for you to loot.

7169463133465677 and the coordinates for the Equestrian lands is at -14, 69, 5467 and they should be all around you. :D

EDIT: I apparently had found the Paint flaxen chestnut. (Blonde brown pony with white paint.) Just need to mark that off too.

Double EDIT: Strangely I got two new grays from other colored (no white) breeds somehow. So it wouldn't hurt to just try to get them all to breed. You never know. :3

Is there a way to take that save file and make it not peaceful or can you only do that at the very start of a game? I just got a new laptop and I'm gonna start a new Minecraft world on it but all those ponies...

Philia

Is there a way to take that save file and make it not peaceful or can you only do that at the very start of a game? I just got a new laptop and I'm gonna start a new Minecraft world on it but all those ponies...

What do you mean? You go to Singleplayer, create new world, select MORE world options and enter the seed # that I've listed. You'll definitely spawn in this fantastic world. You can change your difficulty settings if you like. You can go peaceful or turn the bonus cheats on and use /tp the coordinates I've listed.

Use F3 if you want to track down the coordinates legitimately. Be warned though, its quite a trek...

And I've gotten them all. :3 I bred and bred but I had issues getting the plain buckskin, plain white, socks white, plain gray and appaloosa gray. So I used the spawn egg instead but thankfully that doesn't take long. Now my Equestrian lands is loaded with ponies lol.

Fuchsdh

NihonTiger on NeoCraft #101, featuring the return of the mysterious dungeon master!

Seriously, whoever is making me these adventures, you are too awesome.

Trust me, I'm not the author of the giant stuff. Although clearly I would have saved you and them confusion if I had more securely walled off my old basement as not in use. I was going to turn that into more library space for people if they used the upstairs, but I musta' forgotten to put the "under construction" sign back up after I lured Minsc to his fiery death during the PvP sessions :p

Your mineshaft is really cool. Love what you're doing with the multi-story spiraling.

These are the ones I've found and penned.

I'm not going to lie, your big pile of horses with x's through them is kind of sinister-looking :p

Philia

I'm not going to lie, your big pile of horses with x's through them is kind of sinister-looking :p

Its just as well. I've crafted a fiery bow and shot all of those extra horses to death except the original herd mobs elsewhere. The sounds they make! ;)

Trust me, I'm not the author of the giant stuff. Although clearly I would have saved you and them confusion if I had more securely walled off my old basement as not in use. I was going to turn that into more library space for people if they used the upstairs, but I musta' forgotten to put the "under construction" sign back up after I lured Minsc to his fiery death during the PvP sessions :p

Your mineshaft is really cool. Love what you're doing with the multi-story spiraling.

Thanks; the old fortress tower had a spiral staircase as well, albeit clumsier. I tried for something easier this time around.

Philia

If anyone's still interested in that horse seed, I've found a nice convenient village surrounded by ponies. Not only that, there's a smithy there with loot (and would sell you diamond boots) and a villager in purple (inside a stone temple) that would sell you an eye of ender.

-736 72 -7014

There's even wolves nearby too.

(Still looking for a damn jungle biome.) I did found a mesa one which is cool.

belushy

Banned
New snapshot looked awesome. Really love the idea of an under water temple. Kind of wish they would add more life to the rest of the ocean though.

Philia

Using the same horse world seed, I've finally found the jungle biome and its a large one at that! Took me a few hours before I finally found the jungle temple at

-1433, 72, -15213

And it had diamonds and emeralds! :D Remainder for anyone who encounter these things, I didn't realize there's another chest that you get for switching the levers correctly. There's the chest beyond the traps and there's a chest beyond the levers.

Wiki included a cheat sequence for you to know depending on which side the levers on. If you did it correctly, you'll see a hole on the first floor near the stairs.

Leunam

So I've gotten the itch to dive into Minecraft again. Unfortunately, it's been a long time, a couple years now probably, since I've played and I have no idea what's changed since then. Does the wiki include a good update history? And what mods do you guys recommend? I didn't see a list in the OP for that.

r1chard

So I've gotten the itch to dive into Minecraft again. Unfortunately, it's been a long time, a couple years now probably, since I've played and I have no idea what's changed since then. Does the wiki include a good update history? And what mods do you guys recommend? I didn't see a list in the OP for that.

I've not found a good list of what's been happening in official Minecraft.

On the mods front, most mods are still running on version 1.6 or even 1.5. Some have been released for 1.7.2 but it's a pretty limited set.

A good place to start would be a mod pack like Tekkit which is very popular and handles all the nasty compatibility issues. Tekkit is if you're into lots of extensions to crafting possibilities. Another option might be Hexxit which adds a lot more content (creatures, structures, etc) to the game (as well as some of those crafting options). Both are installable using the technic launcher.

r1chard

I also recommend UHS3 and Resonant Rise/Yogcast complete on atlauncher.
I should try out the Yogscast complete on atlauncher ... I was playing the "Moonquest complete" using it, but the mods in that are a little out of date now, and they Yogscast folk are clearly playing with additional mods now as well...

Sarcasm

I should try out the Yogscast complete on atlauncher ... I was playing the "Moonquest complete" using it, but the mods in that are a little out of date now, and they Yogscast folk are clearly playing with additional mods now as well...

Yeah Yogcast was made by the Resonant Rise group (hence the difference is yogs has RR+9 or so more mods).

r1chard

Yeah Yogcast was made by the Resonant Rise group (hence the difference is yogs has RR+9 or so more mods).
Ah, cool. I know they ditched their old mod pack 'cos the guy organising it threw in the towel. Lead to some server shenanigans in the yogscast :)

Woorloog

Banned
I figured out what makes Minecraft a weak, or almost bad, survival game.
Building is utterly irrelevant despite it being a big part of Minecraft. There should be a reason to make large structures, traps and stuff.
As it is, digging a hole, going there, and plugging it for the night is enough for survival in MC (no comment on hunger meter, i hate hunger systems in games as they're more frustrating and annoying than actually interesting game mechanics).

If a structure would attract monsters, and bigger structures would attract more and bigger monsters, with more loot and stuff... and if they would try to break through walls and so on...

Now, i figure some would argue building is not the point, but if so, why can we even do that?

EDIT and of course, there's the lack of goal. I remember this one survival game, top-down perspective. Notrium (freeware, google it if you're interested) or some such. You had a quest too. Difficult game, and much better as a survival game compared to MC.

Sarcasm

Building is utterly irrelevant despite it being a big part of Minecraft. There should be a reason to make large structures, traps and stuff.
As it is, digging a hole, going there, and plugging it for the night is enough for survival in MC (no comment on hunger meter, i hate hunger systems in games as they're more frustrating and annoying than actually interesting game mechanics).

If a structure would attract monsters, and bigger structures would attract more and bigger monsters, with more loot and stuff... and if they would try to break through walls and so on...

Now, i figure some would argue building is not the point, but if so, why can we even do that?

EDIT and of course, there's the lack of goal. I remember this one survival game, top-down perspective. Notrium (freeware, google it if you're interested) or some such. You had a quest too. Difficult game, and much better as a survival game compared to MC.

You should play UHS3 on atlauncher or blood'n'bones on FTB launcher.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Minecraft's lack of a focused story or goal is what makes it so appealing to me personally. It's a sandbox game at heart with a touch of goal / survival / combat thrown in. It doesn't do any one of them exceptionally well, but it does all of them just well enough to give the game depth and character. Minecraft has been a refreshing game for me in that it allows me to make my own quests, set my own goals, play the way that I want to, without a mission structure or storyline to force me from point A to point B like most games do today. Building isn't irrelevant as long as you want to build something, it only becomes irrelevant if you stop wanting to build. Just like Lego, some people never see the point of it while others construct detailed models and huge works of art.

I do agree though that the game could use more fleshing out on the survival side. Once you get established in a world then surviving becomes relatively easy. I love how the zombies now break down wooden doors but the game needs more of that. Like maybe spiders attracted to light and always trying to climb or break into bases, red skeletons who fire flaming arrows, undead army invasions during a red moon, maybe blue endermen who attack the player on sight, and some new mob who can open doors in order to hunt the player down, etc. That would be nice.

Woorloog

Banned
Not interested in mods really. If you know some fantasy mod for Minecraft, that either fits the base game well, or is a total conversion, then i might be interested.
With meaningful goal, merely adding stuff to the game is not interesting in the least.

Besides, i was talking about the base game and what's wrong with it.

Also, not interested in difficult gameplay in itself, but rather survival should be fun and meaningful. This is a major issue in many survival mods for various games, they're tedious (or their understanding of difficult is "tedious") but not fun in any way, or even meaningful due to lacking an ultimate goal. Making survival itself a complicated process diverts too much time from other elements of the game.
And i don't find making the tech progression difficult interesting or fun, something the both mods you suggested seem to do*. It doesn't make building stuff important. Most likely this "Dig a hole into ground and plug it" survival still works, ignoring hunger.

Let me build a castle and defend it at night, get stuff during days. Make me build big structures, make me defend villages and build villages. Give me reason to look for diamonds (i don't usually bother doing that in MC, obsidian i make with lava and water...). Give me some reasonable goal to work toward.

*How come MC modders can't be make a good, simple but comprehensive description of their mods? Too often i see a couple of sentences at most and "Experience it yourself", i rarely get a good picture of what the mod(pack) actually does. And listing components of the pack doesn't help either.

EDIT don't get me wrong, the sandbox aspect of Minecraft is great... for multiplayer, where building stuff for yourself and others to see is enough. For single player, i want some tangible reason to play.
EDIT also having a goal doesn't mean it is A-to-B gameplay, if the player can choose how to do it.

EDIT as for building stuff, it is irrelevant in single player, as i can show-off in multiplayer much better. Or i could just build something from legos IRL. MC multiplayer is fine as it is, though "well enough" is not "good"... MC single player is what bothers me.

Vlad

Not interested in mods really. If you know some fantasy mod for Minecraft, that either fits the base game well, or is a total conversion, then i might be interested.

Well, there isn't anything that could be considered a "total conversion" in the old Doom/Quake sense when it comes to Minecraft. Every mod I've ever seen adds stuff instead of replacing. Personally I've been using the FTB Monster pack, which has a bit of everything.

Still, if you're going to just go for one mod, I can't recommend Thaumcraft enough. Not only does it add a lot of interesting tools, weapons, and other gadgets, but it's also one of the more "complete"-feeling mods that I've found out there. The first thing you do in the mod is craft a book that acts as instructions and your research tree. There's no scrounging for wikis or anything, as all the information you'll need is in-game. Even most of the stuff you make in the mod requires different methods of crafting than vanilla MC.

For example, early on you research Nitor, which acts as a much nicer looking light source compared to torches. To make it, you have to make a crucible (kind of like a cauldron), fill it with water, dump in the required ingredients in the right quantities, then add a specific catalyst to create the items. And that's only the alchemical crafting. Eventually you end up with one of these for your really heavy-duty magical crafting:

T2bdJK0.png

That's an Infusion Altar. Those recipes call for certain items on the various pedestals surrounding it, and specific amounts of stuff in those jars surrounding it.

Woorloog

Banned
I remember being interested in Thaumcraft, but that was about when a next version was coming soonish so i didn't bother with the earlier version.

But yeah, having "complete feeling" is important. Too many modpacks feel like they're cobbled together for some purpose but they are disjointed still (at least those i've tried).
Not to mention they usually are not updated for the latest version of MC due to each component requiring its own update. This one pack i tried, it ran like shit due to using older version of MC i had issues with it.

This is why i never like mods that only mod one aspect of a game, i want a holistic mod. (And if such things can't exists or are just not the kind i like, i pick and choose mods i use very carefully, all aimed toward a very specific goal, eg if i want a better survival experience in Skyrim, which is more than merely having survival mechanics, i make sure all the mods fit together aesthetically and gameplay-wise, and don't do random stuff).

Vlad

I remember being interested in Thaumcraft, but that was about when a next version was coming soonish so i didn't bother with the earlier version.

But yeah, having "complete feeling" is important. Too many modpacks feel like they're cobbled together for some purpose but they are disjointed still (at least those i've tried).
Not to mention they usually are not updated for the latest version of MC due to each component requiring its own update. This one pack i tried, it ran like shit due to using older version of MC i had issues with it.

This is why i never like mods that only mod one aspect of a game, i want a holistic mod. (And if such things can't exists or are just not the kind i like, i pick and choose mods i use very carefully, all aimed toward a very specific goal, eg if i want a better survival experience in Skyrim, which is more than merely having survival mechanics, i make sure all the mods fit together aesthetically and gameplay-wise, and don't do random stuff).

Well, a lot of these mod launchers have several packs themed around certain things, so you might be able to find something to your liking there.

Personally, I prefer the kitchen sink approach. I love playing on stuff like FTB Monster that just has a little bit of everything in it. Anything I don't like (like all the bee stuff) I just ignore.

Fuchsdh

To me the issue is the mod process is too scattershot. If I see something I like I have to follow a breadcrumb trail of links to download all these dependencies which may or may not work in the newest version. Some official support in the Minecraft client could eliminate some of these issues but I imagine compatibility will still be a nightmare.

I just don't feel like having a half-dozen client profiles that I have to keep switching between.

Sarcasm

UHS3 and Blood'n'bones isn't meant to have a lot of mods..it very few actually.

Its meant to make MC hard. Mobs seek you out..can break things etc

Ranger X

Minecraft is a sandbox game with survival elements.
What's the use of building a sand castle at the beach or in some sandbox? What's the use of digging in a sandbox for a kid and making up stories and structures? There is no other point than to "have your fun". And that's what Minecraft is. So you're kinda missing the point. Minecraft is a sandbox and its excellent at that. And can also be improved almost infinitely since its such an "open" genre.

Woorloog

Banned
Minecraft is a sandbox game with survival elements.
What's the use of building a sand castle at the beach or in some sandbox? What's the use of digging in a sandbox for a kid and making up stories and structures? There is no other point than to "have your fun". And that's what Minecraft is. So you're kinda missing the point. Minecraft is a sandbox and its excellent at that. And can also be improved almost infinitely since its such an "open" genre.

And Minecraft's survival gameplay is abysmal. Sure you can do a lot of stuff in the game... but it doesn't quite feel like a game, just virtual legos as it is. Legos that are utterly pointless for survival itself, which, as i explained, doesn't feel fun in this game, there's no challenge, no point in building stuff, and hunger system is merely frustrating as it requires constant source of food, which also interferes with other sandbox elements of the game (if i want to concentrate on building something, i really don't to deal with the fucking hunger system, and creative mode is no solution because it takes all the fun out of building).
I like sandboxes, i just don't like that whatever is attached to them is under-developed and/or weak.

Sarcasm

If you haven't really realized by now but MC isn't really a game. Yes you can build, use the horrible combat system and explore..its pretty lacking.

Woorloog

Banned
If you haven't really realized by now but MC isn't really a game. Yes you can build, use the horrible combat system and explore..its pretty lacking.

Oh i know this. I just complain about it occasionally.

And the fact MC is both good and a big disappointment (thankfully) prevents me from getting any more "survival games", until i see proof they're also games.

Ranger X

And Minecraft's survival gameplay is abysmal. Sure you can do a lot of stuff in the game... but it doesn't quite feel like a game, just virtual legos as it is. Legos that are utterly pointless for survival itself, which, as i explained, doesn't feel fun in this game, there's no challenge, no point in building stuff, and hunger system is merely frustrating as it requires constant source of food, which also interferes with other sandbox elements of the game (if i want to concentrate on building something, i really don't to deal with the fucking hunger system, and creative mode is no solution because it takes all the fun out of building).
I like sandboxes, i just don't like that whatever is attached to them is under-developed and/or weak.

If you strip out each elements out of the game, they suck in themselves. But there's no point to do this. Minecraft is a sandbox game, I don't know if you get what this means. The term sandbox is thrown everywhere in the industry right now and every game is a sandbox if you listen to them. Minecraft is LITTERALLY a sandbox. The game is about creating your own fun with the tool provided. That's the point and the only point of the game. If you can find your fun in there, that's great. If you can't, it means its not a genre for you. A sandbox game is exactly what a real sand box is to a kid. You're given a set of tools and some systems, and environnement, and then you do whatever the hell if fun for you with those elements. That's all Minecraft is.

MC is both good and a big disappointment

My exact sentiments about this game.

I enjoy it (most of the time), but man, this game could be so much more. Especially with the millions of dollars they rake in. Disgusts and pisses me the hell off.

But heeeey! At least we're getting like 10 new blocks in the next patch that took like 8 months to implement! :DDD

Woorloog

Banned
If you strip out each elements out of the game, they suck in themselves. But there's no point to do this. Minecraft is a sandbox game, I don't know if you get what this means. The term sandbox is thrown everywhere in the industry right now and every game is a sandbox if you listen to them. Minecraft is LITTERALLY a sandbox. The game is about creating your own fun with the tool provided. That's the point and the only point of the game. If you can find your fun in there, that's great. If you can't, it means its not a genre for you. A sandbox game is exactly what a real sand box is to a kid. You're given a set of tools and some systems, and environnement, and then you do whatever the hell if fun for you with those elements. That's all Minecraft is.

Sandbox is a game that gives one pretty big freedoms when it comes to ability to do stuff, IMO, not just "you can make your own "game" and fun" (so, GTAs, The Elder Scrolls series, EVE Online, Kerbal Space Program can be counted as sandboxes). And MC is very much a sandbox game. But it is also a survival game.
I like sandbox games as i noted. i don't like lacking the fucking game part. MC's survival can be easily made better, either by making it more challenging, or integrating it with other elements of the game better (provided things are kept fun), like giving a real point to the ability to mine and place blocks,.
When i got MC years ago, i assumed it would actually have proper survival elements, eventually. Still doesn't. And current development doesn't seem to be adding any.

EDIT pretty sure i noted that if i wanted a pure building game, i'd stick to building with legos. Both easier and more difficult, more complex, more fun, and better looking end results.
EDIT i added KSP to my list of sandbox games. It currently suffers from lacking the game part... but the devs are actively adding more game aspects to the game. It will have options, ones i like. Minecraft has just shitty survival as an alternative to "sandbox", and no better future in sights.

Ranger X

Sandbox is a game that gives one pretty big freedoms when it comes to ability to do stuff, IMO, not just "you can make your own "game" and fun" (so, GTAs, The Elder Scrolls series, EVE Online, Kerbal Space Program can be counted as sandboxes). And MC is very much a sandbox game. But it is also a survival game.
I like sandbox games as i noted. i don't like lacking the fucking game part. MC's survival can be easily made better, either by making it more challenging, or integrating it with other elements of the game better (provided things are kept fun), like giving a real point to the ability to mine and place blocks,.
When i got MC years ago, i assumed it would actually have proper survival elements, eventually. Still doesn't. And current development doesn't seem to be adding any.

I think that's where Minecraft fails to meet your expectation. Its like the only sandbox game in the market (in the truth sense of the word because GTA and such aren't sandboxes. Its not because you can choose in which order to do a couple of things or that there's extra stuff to do it suddendly becomes a sandbox. But that's another story).

Minecraft is having a survival element, building element, a farming element, exploration element, spelunking, multiplayer, pvp, etc. Each of the aspects and systems of the game can suck if you look at them seperately. Yet this environnement that Minecraft lets you in at the end of the day is pleasing to many. Just not gamers wanting a game focusing on survival, focusing on farming, etc.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

This is where your mistake is. Minecraft is a sandbox game with survival elements, not a survival game. There's a big difference between those two statements, and you are expecting something other than what the game is by design.

Woorloog said:
I like sandbox games as i noted. i don't like lacking the fucking game part. MC's survival can be easily made better, either by making it more challenging, or integrating it with other elements of the game better (provided things are kept fun), like giving a real point to the ability to mine and place blocks,

Minecraft already has a real point to mine and place blocks, you just aren't happy with it and want the game to have your point to mine and place blocks. A big part of the reason why Minecraft is so incredibly popular is due to this "lacking the game" part that you are craving so much. Hundreds of thousands of people are enjoying the freedom that the game's design allows them, while you crave more structure. That's okay that you want it, but it's not what Mojang wants, and you will probably never be happy with this aspect of the game. Mods can probably fix it for you though.

Woorloog said:
EDIT i added KSP to my list of sandbox games. It currently suffers from lacking the game part... but the devs are actively adding more game aspects to the game. It will have options, ones i like.

KSP is less true sandbox and more rocketry simulator. I freaking love KSP, still haven't gotten too deep into the solar system yet, lost quite a few Kerbals in the name of science though. The career mode they recently added gives KSP an awesome "game" structure that works very well. Minecraft is a very different kind of game though, I'm not sure it would benefit nor even work with a career / mission mode like KSP. Maybe they could flesh out adventure mode into something like that while keeping the current creative and survival modes intact?

In short, I don't think you will ever be happy with this aspect of Minecraft, sorry.

Fuchsdh

What is KSP?
Kerbal space Program. Our man Nihon has some playthroughs of it--that's my only exposure to it personally. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgyLafwgN16vy2BE0jRT2LD17bpCrXzxp

I do think that it's worth considering if the base Minecraft could improve its combat and survival elements, but yeah it is primarily a sandbox game with these sort of half-features of other genres.

Hate to break up the discussion, but NihonTiger on NeoCraft 102 - Hidden Temple is now live.

I don't know who leaves behind these adventures, but damn, you spent a lot of time on this.
Thank you :3

Fun episode! And lol at 'nah heading to the far-away location first'. :p'

EDIT: Need to put that place on my metro map too.

Top Bottom