• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yep. Then I turned the stone into the stone bricks. I didn't know what else to do with the stone.

Yep. Then I turned the stone into the stone bricks. I didn't know what else to do with the stone.

You can then turn the stone bricks into stairs, slabs, etc.

I'm a slab nut. Build everything with slabs

go into the ocean or water and find darker sections surrounded by sand. that is clay. Bake the clay and you'll get bricks ;)

You can then turn the stone bricks into stairs, slabs, etc.

I'm a slab nut. Build everything with slabs

go into the ocean or water and find darker sections surrounded by sand. that is clay. Bake the clay and you'll get bricks ;)

So that's where clay is! Never thought to dig underwater.

Mudron

Dumb question:

Does switching to Creative mode after generating a world in Survival mode disable achievements if you ever boot up that world in Survival mode again?

There's a little outcropping on a mountain top in my Survival world that I'd love to mine/manipulate in Creative mode, but I'm afraid I'll break something when I switch back to Survival.

So that's where clay is! Never thought to dig underwater.

yeah you'll see it with a keen eye from a boat. just sail out in the ocean or just find a stream or whatever, look at the sand and look for any bluish toned squares around the sand. those are the clay squares. If you see it as the first layer and you can still stand, then you can use the shovel and it basically insta-digs the clay. otherwise there is a short delay before grabbing it when you are shoveling underwater.

Mind your air!

First time playing Minecraft and it's pretty fun. Gutted I didn't see the upgrade programme first or I'd have purchased the PS3 version. Bit shit really as I have a Vita sitting there doing nothing. Unlikely that I'll spend another £14 just to play it on the go.

anddo0

Separate for each platform.

giants_jpierrepaul90_jumpflex.gif

Dumb question:

Does switching to Creative mode after generating a world in Survival mode disable achievements if you ever boot up that world in Survival mode again?

There's a little outcropping on a mountain top in my Survival world that I'd love to mine/manipulate in Creative mode, but I'm afraid I'll break something when I switch back to Survival.
Yes otherwise it would make the game too easy. Like if you made a chest full of the best armor/weapons and also an impregnable fortress to live in. My advice is do whatever you want if you think that's going to be the most fun for you, and forget about achievements.

Foshy

Never really played much Minecraft before, I'm only really getting into it now with the PS4 version.

Exploring is so fun. For now, I'm living as a nomad, travelling around by day collecting stuff, and then setting up a little camp somewhere by night. I'm planning to settle down in a village once I find one. Playing this way is really enjoyable, even though I'm not really getting many resources for building, but I'll do that at a later point :)

N° 2048

Seeing people discover Minecraft for the first time in 2014 is amazing.

Such a great game.

Got me thinking of how simple I think some things are in the game but to new players they are complex.

I'm glad I had a huge phase with the PC version a while back.

I wish I still knew how to make an elevator.

Flunkie

Banned
I hate building stuff in games (in LBP, I much prefer to "Play" instead of "Create" for example) but love the collecting/crafting/etc. part of games. Good for me?

jesu

I hate building stuff in games (in LBP, I much prefer to "Play" instead of "Create" for example) but love the collecting/crafting/etc. part of games. Good for me?

Yeah, there is 2 modes 'survival' and 'creative'.
You'll like survival.
You'll still build stuff but exploring and surviving is the point of that mode.

Darknight

Question. Is there a retail PS4 version of this coming out? Will there be new SKU of the PS3 version with a code for a free/discounted PS4 version? Lastly, since Vita version will be based on PS3/360, can you still transfer data across that version and the PS4 version? Thanx.

I got a $10 PSN code so im on the fence on buying this game.

MattyG

Banned
First buy the PS3 version --> You will get Vita version for free (It is not released yet) with PS3 version: $20
Upgrade to PS4 version: $5

For $25 you will get all three.

If you purchase PS4 version first, then you have to pay full $20 again to buy the PS/Vita version.
Yeah, I think I'll do this. I'll get the retail PS3 version. Hopefully the DLC for the Vita version isn't massive, I don't have much room.

Mudron

Yes otherwise it would make the game too easy. Like if you made a chest full of the best armor/weapons and also an impregnable fortress to live in. My advice is do whatever you want if you think that's going to be the most fun for you, and forget about achievements.

Thanks for the heads-up!

One last question - does switching between Normal and Peaceful difficulty (and back again) in Survival mode bork anything?

Thanks for the heads-up!

One last question - does switching between Normal and Peaceful difficulty (and back again) in Survival mode bork anything?
I don't believe so, no. Difficulty shouldn't affect achievements as long as you don't do creative.

coldone

Same as me. Dont worry at all. Minecraft building is completely different and super easy to pull off.

LBP create mode is a annoyance. . Minecraft is so visually simple and easy to pull off. Buy it.

Branson

Does this version feel restrictive if I'm used to vanilla PC? I kind of want to pick it up becuase of controller support and friends playing it on ps4.

WillyFive

Seeing people discover Minecraft for the first time in 2014 is amazing.

Such a great game.

Yep. Y2Kev's posts reminds me of myself back in 2010 when I made my first house on top of a mountain.

Does this version feel restrictive if I'm used to vanilla PC? I kind of want to pick it up becuase of controller support and friends playing it on ps4.

It will, but playing with friends is what makes Minecraft a never-ending experience. This is the game where you play alone for the first 100 hours to get used to it, and the next 2000 are with friends.

Theecliff

Banned
Is this basically the OT now?

I'd be up for some coop with anyone when I get back from holiday in a few days. Technically I'm new to Minecraft but know a few basics from the vast amount of Minecraft videos on YT and the basic PC demo that I played a year or two ago.

MattyG

Banned
I bought the PS3 retail version, made a new save, aaaaaaaand I don't see the option to upgrade to PS4. It shows as a $19.99 game. What am I missing?

Hollycat

Fell asleep with the game online. My friend decided to blow up the city in the sky, the mine, 2 of my houses, and all of my wolves. His house is now surrounded by traps that will dump him in the nether and blow up his house.

God I love this game.

Olli128

So far I've found 2 abandoned mineshafts, a ravine, two huge cave systems and made a huge branch mine just above bedrock. Total diamonds: 2. one of which came from a chest. Not sure if I'm just incredibly unlucky or if diamonds are way rarer on Ps4.

So far I've found 2 abandoned mineshafts, a ravine, two huge cave systems and made a huge branch mine just above bedrock. Total diamonds: 2. one of which came from a chest. Not sure if I'm just incredibly unlucky or if diamonds are way rarer on Ps4.

Diamonds are rare and are found only below a certain level of the bedrock. It's something like you hit the very bottom and that + 15 blocks is capable of having diamonds. Something like that. Might be 12? Can't remember off the top of my head. I played for months on the PC and think the most I ever had at once was 8 diamonss

What I would do is begin my digging and just keep count of what level down I was and put down a sign every 10 levels.

MattyG

Banned
Woah woah woah, what the fuck am I reading. It sounds like I can only upgrade from the PS3 version if I bought it before August 28th. The fuck is this shit.

I thought it was only the digital version that gave the upgrade?
Everything I read said that you could upgrade from disc or digital.

Remark

Banned
Diamonds are rare and are found only below a certain level of the bedrock. It's something like you hit the very bottom and that + 15 blocks is capable of having diamonds. Something like that. Might be 12? Can't remember off the top of my head. I played for months on the PC and think the most I ever had at once was 8 diamonss

What I would do is begin my digging and just keep count of what level down I was and put down a sign every 10 levels.
Underground is broken into levels based on how far you are from bedrock and usually you find diamonds around level 12 I believe in a cave system. Here's a picture to sort of descirbe it, this picture is a little old and only has 8 when it's more than that now:

Top Bottom