• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

FeiRR

Banned
I have a question about coop. I joined my friend's game and didn't do anything serious but what if I build something? I assume he saves it on his console but what about me? Can I access the same map (save) somehow when he's offline?

N° 2048

I built stone monuments myself. Like the washington monument almost.

Everytime I reached an area where when I turned around the monument in the distance was getting fogged over, I would put together a new one.

Ended up with dozens and dozens around the world eventually lol. Looked pretty slick actually.

I played the PS4 demo and was actually pretty surprised. Game seems to have the highest draw distance you can possibly have and i dunno if it is my TV or not but I don't see the aliasing I have on my PC version.

Also surprised that in the demo you can basically say F the timed stuff and just play as long as you want. I dug out of the first area and was then out in the village and exploring around building whatever was available. Was playing for 2-3 atleast an hour last night until Velocity 2X and Hotline Miami downloaded

This works perfectly.

Add some roads, fences and signs. You will never get lost.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know this is a crazy idea in this day and age, but a sense of direction and intuition helps. ;)

The glory of Minecraft is the lack of hand-holding.

yeah but I'm on the other side of the world and the draw distance is somewhat limited

and it gets dark

really dark

figpc

Neo Member
If you make a compass it should point towards your home bed. It might still be broken in that version though and point towards your world spawn.

Daffy Duck

yeah but I'm on the other side of the world and the draw distance is somewhat limited

and it gets dark

really dark

Might be time to say so long for now and get a new pad.

Assuming you have no idea of your general location the house was in.

Keldor

I have a question about coop. I joined my friend's game and didn't do anything serious but what if I build something? I assume he saves it on his console but what about me? Can I access the same map (save) somehow when he's offline?
The save resides with the person that is hosting. So no you can not access the same map single player unless you're the person that created the world. If you create a chest all of your stuff will still be in there when you rejoin his world though. Also you will still be holding the same items you were holding before you quit his world when you return.

and it gets dark

really dark

Take a bed with you, when it gets dark simply wall yourself in and sleep in your bed, skipping the night.

Always carry around lot's of torches to methodically mark the area.

Ferr986

Did the 360/PS3 version even got a sale since release?

I kind of want to play it on the PS4 but I only have the 360 version. Dont really want to play full price again but I dont see this game getting a sale yet (let alone being on Plus)

Majmun

Downloaded the Ps4 version. Never played the game before, but I just can't play this because of the ugly graphics. Are there graphics map packs for the Ps4?

Y2Kev

What's the best way to mine? Do you just dig into the earth and see how deep you can go?

The Chef

Downloaded the Ps4 version. Never played the game before, but I just can't play this because of the ugly graphics. Are there graphics map packs for the Ps4?

You've seen pictures of the game before you bought it right?
Or does the PS4 version look different than the PC version?

Majmun

You've seen pictures of the game before you bought it right?
Or does the PS4 version look different than the PC version?

It was an impulse purchase. Just wanted to try it out. I knew the game would be ugly. But this is too much. Oh well.

The Chef

It was an impulse purchase. Just wanted to try it out. I knew the game would be ugly. But this is too much. Oh well.

No, I get it. Its such a different old school kind of look. If your still sortof interested in it you should try playing it for a bit. The dated graphics really lend to a special feel for the game and you may end up really enjoying it when your building awesome stuff.

Its a pain in the ass to get out.

King_Moc

Banned
I got lost in a mine and spent about half an hour digging my way out, not knowing if i was even close to the surface, lol. Got my first batch of iron ore out of it though.

MattyG

Banned
Does anyone know how Vita cross buy with retail will work? Will I be able to upgrade to PS4 from the Vita retail version?

What's the best way to mine? Do you just dig into the earth and see how deep you can go?
I go down and straight one block, down and straight one block. That way it's easy to get out. Looks kind of like this from the side (black is stone/rock/dirt whatever):

░█
░░█
█░░█
██░

Then once I hit a level where I find deposits, I make a branching mine left or right. Looks like this from above:

███████████
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
███████████

Keep the main hallway 2 blocks wide, and your branches one block wide to keep it simple. Once you find a deposit, clear out all the blocks with the stuff you want.

Also when exploring or regular mining, it helps to only put torches on (say) the left wall as you go. That way you can always remember to keep the torches on your right when you need to get back.

Y2Kev

I go down and straight one block, down and straight one block. That way it's easy to get out. Looks kind of like this from the side (black is stone/rock/dirt whatever):

░█
░░█
█░░█
██░

Then once I hit a level where I find deposits, I make a branching mine left or right. Looks like this from above:

███████████
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
███████████

Keep the main hallway 2 blocks wide, and your branches one block wide to keep it simple. Once you find a deposit, clear out all the blocks with the stuff you want.

Also when exploring or regular mining, it helps to only put torches on (say) the left wall as you go. That way you can always remember to keep the torches on your right when you need to get back.
so are you like an architect

N° 2048

░█
░░█
█░░█
██░

███████████
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
███████████

Nailed it.

Also. Signs. Lots of signs.

You can put "left = home, right = cave"

Vidpixel

░█
░░█
█░░█
██░

███████████
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
░███░███░███
███████████

This is some professional-ass Minecrafting, right here.

(Last Gen) 862 x 862 = 743,044 total blocks
(This Gen) 5000 x 5000 = 25,000,000 total blocks

25,000,000 / 743,044 = 33.645383

About 34 times bigger, right?

MathGAF?
Thanks for tallying that up. Slightly disappointing that is a tad smaller than they said but I agree with those saying it's plenty big enough.

Played the demo last night just to get a sense of how it runs on PS4 and it looked and felt great. Will try the demo via remote play this weekend and if I'm satisfied with that, I'll bite (again).

MattyG

Banned
I'm debating whether to a) wait for the Vita retail, because I don't have room for the digital version, and hope I can upgrade to the PS4 version from it or b) buy the physical PS4 version now and get the physical Vita version when it releases.

I have a $5 coupon to GS that expires Sunday so it'd be $15 for the physical PS4, and I'm near the store now so I have to decide quick. Wat do, Gaf?

daevv

Found a village Librarian who's trading emeralds for 24 paper. It's so far away from my sugarcane field/base though. I've been running back and forth with 2 stacks of paper at a time. Got 11 so far. lol

Y2Kev

ACTUALLY im basically a pro

Here is my little house

vgPkzgv.jpg
it is the coolest house, much cooler than your house

VXg04BC.jpg
it has LUXURIOUS furnishings, such as a bed

DK7k03x.jpg
a party guest is trying to get into my house. i did not invite this person so i am going to build a new house now that i know how to make stone

aW3GObL.jpg
i'm laying the foundation, which is already fabulous

ZUCzNHq.jpg
haven't put the roof on yet

coldone

Does anyone know how Vita cross buy with retail will work? Will I be able to upgrade to PS4 from the Vita retail version?

First buy the PS3 version --> You will get Vita version for free (It is not released yet) with PS3 version: $20
Upgrade to PS4 version: $5

For $25 you will get all three.

If you purchase PS4 version first, then you have to pay full $20 again to buy the PS/Vita version.

Top Bottom