• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

Theecliff

Banned
Woah woah woah, what the fuck am I reading. It sounds like I can only upgrade from the PS3 version if I bought it before August 28th. The fuck is this shit.

Everything I read said that you could upgrade from disc or digital.
Nope, that first part's not right. I bought the PS3 ver digitally just as the PS4 ver was released then paid for the upgrade. Unless it was different for the physical version? But that doesn't sound right.

And oh, I don't know then. I thought I heard it was but I might be wrong.

MattyG

Banned
What I'm reading sounds like anyone who bought retail prior to release gets an upgrade, and everyone who buys retail after gets a voucher inside the retail package. Which makes no goddamn sense, since stores still carry copies sans the voucher. I tweeted PS support, because this is starting to look like a very poorly planned upgrade system.

Is it better to build with bricks or slabs? Why?

Full blocks due to the speed of building. A cool thing about slabs though is that enemies can't spawn on them if they are on top of another block (instead of flush with a full sized block). If you want to stop stuff from spawning without using a ton of torches you can do this. It makes interiors look weird since you can't place blocks on top of half slabs, but it's particularly useful in the nether.

N° 2048

Nope, that first part's not right. I bought the PS3 ver digitally just as the PS4 ver was released then paid for the upgrade. Unless it was different for the physical version? But that doesn't sound right.

And oh, I don't know then. I thought I heard it was but I might be wrong.

I bought the PS3 digital version Sept 3 and upgraded fine the next day or so. Way after Aug 28. However, other people weren't as lucky.

Confusing indeed.

As someone who is going from the PC to PS3 to PS4, I welcome to simplicity of no mods. More focus on building. I found on PC I'd spend more time tweaking mods then actually immersing myself into the game.

baconcow

What I'm reading sounds like anyone who bought retail prior to release gets an upgrade, and everyone who buys retail after gets a voucher inside the retail package. Which makes no goddamn sense, since stores still carry copies sans the voucher. I tweeted PS support, because this is starting to look like a very poorly planned upgrade system.

They are doing this to reduce the rent and upgrade approach that many will attempt in order to get the game for less.

MattyG

Banned
They are doing this to reduce the rent and upgrade approach that many will attempt in order to get the game for less.
That makes no sense, because a large percentage of those who buy it between the vouchers being included and the cutoff date will be fucked.

Hadn't played the game since 2010. Man, there's a lot of new stuff to take in. But on the plus side, I don't have to memorize the crafting recipes and shit anymore. Thank god for that.

In any case, I'm hooked once again. Until Destiny, that is.

HorcaCZ

I always make a high tower as part of my place and put many torches on each side. It showss, in the PS4 version, from a long piece away.

I took this idea a little bit further. I digged a LOT of dirt blocks and tried to make as high tower as possible. My house is on hill, so I started already about 20 blocks above water and it took me about 150 blocks of dirt before I couldn't add any more (yes, there is a limit). Clouds flew past and they were lower than top of the tower. Sunrise was glorious and satisfying as f*ck. The folloving fall took a few seconds. It is visible everytime from anywhere and I called it The God´s finger. 10/10 - would build again.

N° 2048

Just saw there is only one stronghold per world in the console versions.

Should be fun hunting for it...any tips?

ObbyDent

Banned
Hadn't played the game since 2010. Man, there's a lot of new stuff to take in. But on the plus side, I don't have to memorize the crafting recipes and shit anymore. Thank god for that.

In any case, I'm hooked once again. Until Destiny, that is.

You still have to in the PC version. The console and mobile versions are for casuals.

Does this version show your coordinates if you look at the map? That's honestly the best way to make it home after a long trip as long as you make note of your home coordinates (use the book and quill!).

Unrelated, I really wish they implemented the waypoint system that the Rei's Minimap mod has on PC. Makes long expeditions so much better, but I'm sure some would say it takes some of the fun out it.

Rei's_Minimap_Demonstration_Screenshot_2.png

It's also great at giving a sense of scale of how far you've traveled. I love seeing that home is over 10,000m away after traveling for so long.

Pjsprojects

I took this idea a little bit further. I digged a LOT of dirt blocks and tried to make as high tower as possible. My house is on hill, so I started already about 20 blocks above water and it took me about 150 blocks of dirt before I couldn't add any more (yes, there is a limit). Clouds flew past and they were lower than top of the tower. Sunrise was glorious and satisfying as f*ck. The folloving fall took a few seconds. It is visible everytime from anywhere and I called it The God´s finger. 10/10 - would build again.

Build a beacon,they show for miles.

SegaShack

Only way is to go to creative. Or you can turn on Host Options and make it so you don't get hungry but you can't earn achievements or get on the leaderboards if you do that.

Can I do survival and change host options for no hunger? Does this mean people have to join my game?

HorcaCZ

Can I do survival and change host options for no hunger? Does this mean people have to join my game?
I think there is no way how to turn off hunger in survival. (not entirely sure, but hunger is no biggie, just slay two cows and you are good for few days)
You can play survival as host alone as long as you check the "invite only" checkbox.

Bsigg12

Yes and no, you don't have to have anyone in your game. When you make a new world, enable host options, and then press whatever button it is to see players in the game, highlight the player (you), press A or X(PS4), and select the no hunger option.

MattyG

Banned
Well, I contacted Sony chat support, explained the situation and they passed me on to higher level customer support. I had to send an email with the reciept attached, but since I bought it at a local store that gives a small discount on new games (it was $17.95) I held the label still attached to the shrink wrap next to it and linked them to the stores product page as proof. Then I got an email saying I'd been given a $5 credit, presumably to pay for the upgrade due to the inconvenience. Hell yeah. Hopefully they get to my email quick and the same thing doesn't happen with the Vita cross buy, but I guess we'll see.

SegaShack

Yes and no, you don't have to have anyone in your game. When you make a new world, enable host options, and then press whatever button it is to see players in the game, highlight the player (you), press A or X(PS4), and select the no hunger option.

Hell yeah! Would this work on XB1 as well?

SegaShack

Any differences between the PS4 and X1 version? I have both systems but a bunch of XBL credit, just trying to figure out which one to get. I'm guessing owning the PC version doesn't do anything for the price?

Does this version show your coordinates if you look at the map? That's honestly the best way to make it home after a long trip as long as you make note of your home coordinates (use the book and quill!).

Unrelated, I really wish they implemented the waypoint system that the Rei's Minimap mod has on PC. Makes long expeditions so much better, but I'm sure some would say it takes some of the fun out it.

Rei's_Minimap_Demonstration_Screenshot_2.png

It's also great at giving a sense of scale of how far you've traveled. I love seeing that home is over 10,000m away after traveling for so long.

I guess it'd be fine as an option, but there's nothing quite like getting accidentally lost.. and suddenly finding your way back again because it is night and you see your house lights in the distance.

GodofWine

I played minecraft for the first time ever today (just the ps4 demo)...I see why its addicting and a success...my only hesistation to contribute to Mojang's pile of money is pretty much everyone tells me the survival / core game is 'meh' and its really about building stuff for shits and giggles...

anyone care to push me over the edge here??

(i realy should just play Dont Starve more)

geeko

I redboxed minecraft 360 edition yesterday, and this morning the xbox one version finally showed $5. I forgot how addicting this game is, I think I put at least 4 hours in last night. I did a crap load of things and don't want to lose progress, is it hard to transfer saves from the 360 version to the xbox one version?

I played minecraft for the first time ever today (just the ps4 demo)...I see why its addicting and a success...my only hesistation to contribute to Mojang's pile of money is pretty much everyone tells me the survival / core game is 'meh' and its really about building stuff for shits and giggles...

anyone care to push me over the edge here??

(i realy should just play Dont Starve more)

Don't listen to those people. Buy it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So i cannot buy the ps3 version and upgrade any more I presume. I really wanted to get the ps4 and vita version together.

The Llama

So i cannot buy the ps3 version and upgrade any more I presume. I really wanted to get the ps4 and vita version together.
AFAIK you can buy it digitally and upgrade. But if you buy the disc version you might not be able to unless you get a new one with a code.

Does the PS4 version feel slow to anyone else? Like.. it performs well, and I'm not just talking about sensitivity. The whole game just feels slightly slowed down. Movement speed, chopping blocks, etc. I must be going crazy.

Also certain sound effects are super quiet compared to others, most noticeably footsteps which I cant hear at all unless i turn off the music entirely, I'm assuming thats a bug. *shrug*

PC -> 360 (casually) -> PS4 here.

Top Bottom