• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

^ This. That tutorial alone is scary as fuck.

Hahaha. I can imagine someone buying this game off of recommendations from friends or the internet about something fun and easy to play, only to go into some confused state of awe while playing the tutorial. My girlfriend thinks it's cute, but she'd never bother with actually playing it after seeing how complicated it can get.

ReaperXL7

ok so I had a question if anyone can answer this, I am currently in the planning stages of building a castle to protect myself from the things that bump in the night and I am wondering if it is possible to move water/lava from one location to another. My plan was to make a moat around my fortress as an added layer of defence if its possible. I have two water sources near my castle and my guess is that I will probably have to find a way to tunnel the water to the location I want it to go unless there is another way to move it.

ok so I had a question if anyone can answer this, I am currently in the planning stages of building a castle to protect myself from the things that bump in the night and I am wondering if it is possible to move water/lava from one location to another. My plan was to make a moat around my fortress as an added layer of defence if its possible. I have two water sources near my castle and my guess is that I will probably have to find a way to tunnel the water to the location I want it to go unless there is another way to move it.

Make a bucket, then use the bucket on the water/lava

You can make yourself an infinite water source to draw buckets of water from here

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Water#Infinite_water_source

You cannot make an infinite lava source though anymore

finally made up my mind and got it on playstation, as much as I want the dlc on xbox, I dnt like a next gen tax being put on the prices of dlc especially since afaik only effects the uk. I now have it on PS4.

Epcott

Played a few hours last night for the first time.

My first item of business was to make a little cave, because I could not find a mine to craft or investigate and family that has played said by night you need shelter. Killed some pigs and a cow with my bare hands. Looked for resources. Night came, I walled up my cave entrance. Checked inventory to make something... but items are so scarce, I couldn't make anything. Searched for more resources outside after walling up my cave next morning. Nearly went hungry looking for food. Came home to the cave just before sunset, only to find a skeleton with bow and arrow in there... somehow, and holes in my ceiling. Patched up the holes. Days later, still no resources and little food. I've been hearing zombie moans outside my cave. How did they know I was here? How can I leave? The next night, a green bomb guy must have found my place, there was a large hole opened in the ceiling. I spent the night running, looking for a new home. Next day, a combination of arrow to the back, starvation, and a fall from a tree ended my life... and like that, all my stuff is gone.

It's about as fun as Don't Starve, which IMO wasn't.

What exactly am I doing wrong in survival? Should I just make new worlds until I generate one that is resource friendly? I see IGN vids of guys with farms, homes with actual doors, and here I am living like a cave man :/

WillyFive

My first item of business was to make a little cave, because I could not find a mine to craft or investigate and family that has played said by night you need shelter. Killed some pigs and a cow with my bare hands. Looked for resources. Night came, I walled up my cave entrance. Checked inventory to make something... but items are so scarce, I couldn't make anything. Searched for more resources outside after walling up my cave next morning. Nearly went hungry looking for food. Came home to the cave just before sunset, only to find a skeleton with bow and arrow in there... somehow, and holes in my ceiling. Patched up the holes. Days later, still no resources and little food. I've been hearing zombie moans outside my cave. How did they know I was here? How can I leave? The next night, a green bomb guy must have found my place, there was a large hole opened in the ceiling. I spent the night running, looking for a new home. Next day, a combination of arrow to the back, starvation, and a fall from a tree ended my life... and like that, all my stuff is gone.

What exactly am I doing wrong in survival? Should I just make new worlds until I generate one that is resource friendly? I see IGN vids of guys with farms, homes with actual doors, and here I am living like a cave man :/

Everybody starts like that. That's part of the game, you grow and get better and eventually conquer the world that was earlier chewing you out.

Try punching a tree and making a wooden pickaxe and a wooden sword. That alone will make you last longer.

Epcott

Everybody starts like that. That's part of the game, you grow and get better and eventually conquer the world that was earlier chewing you out.

Try punching a tree and making a wooden pickaxe and a wooden sword. That alone will make you last longer.

Many thanks! This game is much more brutal than my 7 year old nephew lead me to believe

;_;

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO MAKE

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS

WHAT MAKES WHAT

OMG

thats what you have minecraft wikis for, in the beginning you will have to look up every second craft, but just a few crafts later youll see how much you already memorized ;)

give it a chance, it might be overwheliming in the beginning but soon after that everything goes hand in hand and youll find yourself getting overflown with ideas of what to do and get

N° 2048

To progress a bit faster prioritize wood, meat and cobblestone.
Use the wood to build a small box to call home.
Use the wood to make a crafting chest.
Use the crafting chest to make a furnace with the cobblestone.
Use the furnace to make charcoal with wood (not planks). Wood+wood in furnace = charcoal I believe.
Use the crafting chest to make sticks from wood.
Use the sticks + charcoal for torches.
Use furnace to cook meat (meat+charcoal) (wood+meat also works I believe)
Next up, go get some wool to make a bed.

You can do all this within the first two nights :)

Daffy Duck

All those saying the size is disappointing, I myself just don't see it.

So far I've built my house in a nice area surrounded by mountains with caves to explore, I've explored one cave so far and found an old abandoned mine and spent hours down there, that's just one cave, I can literally see about 30 more when I scroll around looking in all directions.

Then there is the jungles to explore, then the deserts and everything else.

Then there's visiting the nether and sitting out a base there, then there's enchanting, there's massive amounts to do.

I admit I've not played it on PC but the sense if scale on this compared to the PS3 version I have played is immense!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All those saying the size is disappointing, I myself just don't see it.

So far I've built my house in a nice area surrounded by mountains with caves to explore, I've explored one cave so far and found an old abandoned mine and spent hours down there, that's just one cave, I can literally see about 30 more when I scroll around looking in all directions.

Then there is the jungles to explore, then the deserts and everything else.

Then there's visiting the nether and sitting out a base there, then there's enchanting, there's massive amounts to do.

I admit I've not played it on PC but the sense if scale on this compared to the PS3 version I have played is immense!

i'd prefer a smaller map so i dont get lost

the actual in-game map is so bad

baconcow

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO MAKE

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS

WHAT MAKES WHAT

OMG

Play the PC version, it doesn't have autocrafting. You not only need to know the item you want to make, the ingredients, and their crafting placement. Console minecraft crafting is very simplified. I like it a lot. No longer do I need 10 pages of recipes printed or the need to alt-tab.

Darknight

So if I rent the PS3 version from REDBOX, play it once, then I can buy the PS4 version for $5?

I tried it yesterday and its not registering/giving me the discount. One person here said they did this (bought the actual disk) and played on the 3rd, on the 4th they went on the mobile store and bought it for $5 so that must of been the last cut off date. I tried on the 5th and nothing so far so its probably not possible or maybe you need a unique disc ID for it to be able to do it as REDBOX copies may have been used online already so its not unique any more?

Dragoshi1

I rented Minecraft from a Redbox for PS3, and I got the discount, which was cool, seeing as I was ready to drop 20 bucks on it(for the 3rd time), and it rang up as 5 bucks instead.

The controls suck. I can't get them to do what I feel is natural. I want Use and Attack to be L1 and R1, Jump to be X, item scroll to be the d-pad and inventory and craft to be L2 and R2.

Darknight

I know this isnt the VIta version but do you guys think that version will run sub native res and possibly be like the PS3/360 version (IE more limited)? I really hope its a great port.

Daffy Duck

Yeah a console OT would be a great idea!

I had 36 levels of XP in the bank and got killed by three bow and arrow guys mining for diamonds.

Lost all my obsidian, an enchanted book I found and my diamond sword/pick axe, both maps and lots of other stuff.

Luckily I knew the mine well and was able to find it all again. Luckily I set up a mob spawner farm so I should get the XP back quickly.

Great idea! Console OT would be awesome.

Yeah a console OT would be a great idea!

I had 36 levels of XP in the bank and got killed by three bow and arrow guys mining for diamonds.

Lost all my obsidian, an enchanted book I found and my diamond sword/pick axe, both maps and lots of other stuff.

Luckily I knew the mine well and was able to find it all again. Luckily I set up a mob spawner farm so I should get the XP back quickly.
I'd do it myself but I don't have the time to do it today. It does need one, discussion is spread over two or three threads at the moment.

HeeHo

5000 blocks by 5000 blocks? That's tiny as shit.
I don't know if that image shown showing it to be 36x larger is true but if it is, it's waaaaaay bigger and, IMO, more than you'd ever need, unless you are trying to recreate something absolutely massive. Even in the 360 version, I never even came close to running out of space, but I usually get stuck in the metagame aspect of minecraft. I wanted it to be infinite worlds too but, I'm way more than satisfied if it really is 36x bigger. I feel like the math doesn't quite add up though.

862x862= 360 version
5000x5000= next gen versions, that doesn't quite seem to be 36x as large as someone indicated with the pic before.

Is there some simple math I'm missing? that seems more like 6 - 7 time as big as the previous console versions.

bobeth

I don't know if that image shown showing it to be 36x larger is true but if it is, it's waaaaaay bigger and, IMO, more than you'd ever need, unless you are trying to recreate something absolutely massive. Even in the 360 version, I never even came close to running out of space, but I usually get stuck in the metagame aspect of minecraft. I wanted it to be infinite worlds too but, I'm way more than satisfied if it really is 36x bigger. I feel like the math doesn't quite add up though.

862x862= 360 version
5000x5000= next gen versions, that doesn't quite seem to be 36x as large as someone indicated with the pic before.

Is there some simple math I'm missing? that seems more like 6 - 7 time as big as the previous console versions.

(5000X5000)/(862X862)..

862x862= 360 version

(Last Gen) 862 x 862 = 743,044 total blocks
(This Gen) 5000 x 5000 = 25,000,000 total blocks

25,000,000 / 743,044 = 33.645383

About 34 times bigger, right?

MathGAF?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Probably or you could buy the ps3 version now, pay the $5 to upgrade to ps4 and the vita version will be free for you when it comes out.

Fuck maps man you don't need em

how do you find your way back to your house at night?

how do you find your way back to your house at night?

I built stone monuments myself. Like the washington monument almost.

Everytime I reached an area where when I turned around the monument in the distance was getting fogged over, I would put together a new one.

Ended up with dozens and dozens around the world eventually lol. Looked pretty slick actually.

I played the PS4 demo and was actually pretty surprised. Game seems to have the highest draw distance you can possibly have and i dunno if it is my TV or not but I don't see the aliasing I have on my PC version.

Also surprised that in the demo you can basically say F the timed stuff and just play as long as you want. I dug out of the first area and was then out in the village and exploring around building whatever was available. Was playing for 2-3 atleast an hour last night until Velocity 2X and Hotline Miami downloaded

Foshy

So the 36 was from someones ass?

No, it came from 4J themselves

"The worlds in the PS4 and Xbox One versions will be 36 times the area," says Paddy Burns, co-founder of Scottish studio 4J Studios, which handles the console conversions. He also hinted that his team is working on increasing that figure for future updates. "I don't know if we can go much bigger than that, but we're looking into it," he said.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/28/minecraft-36-times-larger-on-ps4-and-xbox-one

Remark

Banned
I built stone monuments myself. Like the washington monument almost.

Everytime I reached an area where when I turned around the monument in the distance was getting fogged over, I would put together a new one.

Ended up with dozens and dozens around the world eventually lol. Looked pretty slick actually.

I played the PS4 demo and was actually pretty surprised. Game seems to have the highest draw distance you can possibly have and i dunno if it is my TV or not but I don't see the aliasing I have on my PC version.
PC version has crazy aliasing for some reason. The only way I was able to get rid of it was through shader packs somehow.

Top Bottom