• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

Anyone know of a way to build an elevator?

No, and that goes to the heart of the problems of this edition and the PS3 edition.
Redstone bugs and no block of redstone available. Sticky piston problems. There may be a way but it needs to work around this very old minecraft code base.

Does anybody know if you borrow a copy of the previous gen game it will still bring the price down of the current gen version?

Dart

This sure is scummy, I'm surprised you guys are talking about this in the open.

I'm sure they're aware that this could be done.

Anyway my question is, if I get the PS4 version at full price do I get PS3 version free?

Gave my old phat PS3 to my little brother, unfortunately the blu-ray drive is broken so only digital titles can be played.

You still have to in the PC version. The console and mobile versions are for casuals.

What the fuck is wrong with you dude? First you scoff at the console versions map size, then say the console version is just for casuals? Get off your high horse. We know the PC version is better but people are having fun and discovering a game they may not have played otherwise. This is also the console OT so stop being an ass.

Steel

Banned
What building material should I use for a big house (on an island)? Stone? Cobblestone? Wood planks? Wood is by far my most pletiful resource ( I just cleared out all the trees on the island) but I feel like it may be too cheap or weak for a big house.

For your first big house, I'd suggest either stone or cobblestone(You get stone from smelting cobblestone in a furnance, it has higher blast resistance), that being said, there's nothing wrong with wood, the only disadvantage is that it blows up slightly easier than stone or cobblestone, and if you get a trolling friend they can light it on fire(or if you decide you want a fireplace, you melt down your whole house, so don't go using netherack as a light source in a wood house.).

Wil348

I've really been enjoying the PS4 version, perhaps moreso than I enjoy PC. I prefer the game on consoles as I can just sit back and play it with my friends without any messing about with server ports a whatnot. The experience feels more whole to me for some reason, even if it is behind on updates.

First time in awhile that I've put some serious time into minecraft, haven't really mined though been building a house, flattening the land etc;

Branson

Yep. Y2Kev's posts reminds me of myself back in 2010 when I made my first house on top of a mountain.

It will, but playing with friends is what makes Minecraft a never-ending experience. This is the game where you play alone for the first 100 hours to get used to it, and the next 2000 are with friends.

God dammit! I want it but I'll always be thinking about the PC version. I'll have to wait until more friends get it on ps4.

ObbyDent

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with you dude? First you scoff at the console versions map size, then say the console version is just for casuals? Get off your high horse. We know the PC version is better but people are having fun and discovering a game they may not have played otherwise. This is also the console OT so stop being an ass.

The casuals comment was mostly a joke but the map size is completely ridiculous and I will stay on my high horse regarding that. Especially when the mobile version has unlimited worlds and that if they'd (Sony and Microsoft) get their heads out of their ass regarding save data size, you'd get unlimited worlds too. It's a legitimate complaint.

God dammit! I want it but I'll always be thinking about the PC version. I'll have to wait until more friends get it on ps4.

Yeah.. even on PC I'm usually always waiting for a big update, before starting a new single player world. Now I realize that on PS4 we don't even have horses and proper redstone.. I will just keep waiting I guess.

I've really been enjoying the PS4 version, perhaps moreso than I enjoy PC. I prefer the game on consoles as I can just sit back and play it with my friends without any messing about with server ports a whatnot. The experience feels more whole to me for some reason, even if it is behind on updates.

Despite my whining about the lack of updates to the console versions, I totally agree. Like Diablo3 it is just more *fun* with the controller and split screen for when the kids have friends over.

However.
There isn't any good excuse that such a top selling title on console, selling more than the PC iteration, is not getting the update love. They are good at releasing skins and so on for $0.99 but don't seem to care about keeping up with main code feature-wise. I can live without all the freaky mods, but it is pretty miserable not to have the Redstone Update patch onward. How many years since the first xbox minecraft was released? it feels like ages and we've hardly moved on.

Rflagg

SOB why am I thinking about buying this right now destiny comes out in three day I need to stay strong.

Disclaimer: I will be buying this eventually just seems silly to buy now given I will spending all my gaming time with Destiny for at least the first month.

MMaRsu

No, and that goes to the heart of the problems of this edition and the PS3 edition.
Redstone bugs and no block of redstone available. Sticky piston problems. There may be a way but it needs to work around this very old minecraft code base.

The fuck? Update this shit 4J

statham

Just playing the tutorial, you get achievements like crazy. And the Halo pack is very cool. will dive more into it tomorrow.

dubq

Do we have an MC PS4-thread where we can drop our ID's for online gaming goodness? Similar to the D3GAF thread?

Welfare

People think the new world size is small? I am amazed at big it is right now! IMO it's big enough, we just need to catch up to the PC in terms of features.

Kei-

Any idea why it doesn't show the upgrade price for me? I can't for the life of me figure it out. I tried the web store, the mobile store, and the PS4 store.

ObbyDent

Banned
People think the new world size is small? I am amazed at big it is right now! IMO it's big enough, we just need to catch up to the PC in terms of features.

You don't know what you're missing until you have it.

Basically, once you go black...

Remark

Banned
Can I do survival and change host options for no hunger? Does this mean people have to join my game?
Through host options you can chose no exhaustion and it will make so you don't need to eat. people don't have to join your game to do this just hit the button that brings up the player list chose your name and hit host options if you enabled it before you started the world.

Steel

Banned
Will this version ever get the updates? Was there precedent on 360/ps3 for big updates?

Well, yeah. On the 360 version the game started without creative mode and pistons among many other big things. It'll keep getting updated, but 4j is slow as molasses. Look at how long it took for the ps4/xb1 versions to be ported.

Remark

Banned
Well, yeah. On the 360 version the game started without creative mode and pistons among many other big things. It'll keep getting updated, but 4j is slow as molasses. Look at how long it took for the ps4/xb1 versions to be ported.
That's the craziest thing, they have have employees out the wazoo but they take months to put out a new update.

alterno69

Banned
I just bought this for my kid on Xbone, upgrading for $5 was a no brianer, especially when Minecraft is the reason he's an Xbox owner in the first place. I bought a second hand 360 for him last year to play minecraft after he was hooked on the mobile version.

Great deal.

Edit: the only way to play online is joining friends? Are there public games or something of the like?

So a friend and I have been playing for about 9-10 hours working on a lot of stuff, but we were using a skin pack I didn't own and he reminded me about saving so I went to save and it told me I needed to buy the skin pack so I clicked the button to go to the Playstation store... and then this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpA9ihl59IQ
Really upset that we lost everything.

(PS4) The "lag" of blocks taking a moment to disappear visually after you've removed them is a real bummer.

So a friend and I have been playing for about 9-10 hours working on a lot of stuff, but we were using a skin pack I didn't own and he reminded me about saving so I went to save and it told me I needed to buy the skin pack so I clicked the button to go to the Playstation store... and then this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpA9ihl59IQ
Really upset that we lost everything.

Happens for me to, I luckily encountered it before diving in.

N° 2048

Found my first mob spawner on the PS4. Was around two chests, got an enchantment book, bread, gunpowder and iron along with a few things I can't remember.

How many of these little hidden gems are there?

Kilau

So we can't upload maps from the PS3 version for PS4 yet? I have looked all over and see no option. Found nothing online either.

jaydogg691

Question.

I have $30 on my account and was wondering, can I buy the PS3 version right now and upgrade to the PS4 for $5 or is that was a limited time only? I want to get Minecraft on PS3 so my little brother can be playing on the PS3 so he doesn't hog up the PS4. He is so hyped right now and I'm pretty sure he'll be playing this game for a long time.

Mastperf

Found my first mob spawner on the PS4. Was around two chests, got an enchantment book, bread, gunpowder and iron along with a few things I can't remember.

How many of these little hidden gems are there?
How many mob spawners are in the world? That varies from world to world. I've seen cool seeds that have mob spawners inside houses in a village. Some can be above ground and visible without digging in small caves. There can also be spawners buried in the desert under a few layers of sand. There can also be caves with double spawners withing the same room. There's also abandoned mine shafts and a stronghold to find as well. There's also the nether to go to once you build a portal.

Kilau

Question.

I have $30 on my account and was wondering, can I buy the PS3 version right now and upgrade to the PS4 for $5 or is that was a limited time only? I want to get Minecraft on PS3 so my little brother can be playing on the PS3 so he doesn't hog up the PS4. He is so hyped right now and I'm pretty sure ell be playing this game for a long time.

The EU ps blog says

Note: This entitlement applies to everyone who bought Minecraft PS3 Edition (Disc or Digitally) and played it while connected to PSN prior to 28th August, and transfers their PSN account to their PS4 console.

I'm in the US and bought PS3 minecraft digitally yesterday and never even played it
want PSVita version cross buy
and the store updated the PS4 price for me after a minute to $4.99

I had played the PS3 demo months ago though...so YMMV

I used the SEN store to buy the PS3 version (for the VITA) earlier, then immediately got the PS4 version for 4.99. NA if that matters. So it worked for me.

Played the last five hours and wow is this an amazing, relaxing (mostly) game. I thought I was going well then watched a Live On Playstation stream and saw the amazing houses people have made. Wow.

Top Bottom