• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

GulAtiCa

Tc3KQX.jpeg
I've been busy! Currently working on replacing good bit of the dirt on lower levels with stone to make it look better.

This is really fun.

Quick question, if you play split-screen coop does the game save the second player's items? Played with my girlfriend and she used the Guest Account and when I loaded up our world she lost all her items ):

We havent gotten a bed yet if that has something to do with it.

Darknight

Change difficulty to peaceful.

Or you could just, y'know, pay the going rate for an excellent game filled with content instead of trying cheat the system.

You realize gamers will always be looking for the best deal right? This shit aint new and comes with the territory. (remember the EA store glitch that everyone and their mother took advantage of and ended up with tons of free games)

So even though its a massive fun game, if I can get the $5 deal, I will do my best to get it. Im not bitching Im not getting it, just wondering how some others got it recently as of sept. 3rd/4th so excuse me for trying to find out how they did it. Its possible with the physical disk still so if there is a chance....(not only that Destiny launches this week so if I can save some $$, I will)

On-topic, will the PS4/XB1 still get updated for the foreseeable future? Did the PS360 version get newer content after launch?

Mastperf

Quick question, if you play split-screen coop does the game save the second player's items? Played with my girlfriend and she used the Guest Account and when I loaded up our world she lost all her items ):

We havent gotten a bed yet if that has something to do with it.
That's how it was on the 360 so I assume it's the same. Let her create a profile on your PS4 or XB1 for it to save to and it should save all of her stuff.

onken

So we can't upload maps from the PS3 version for PS4 yet? I have looked all over and see no option. Found nothing online either.

No and it's very annoying. Not playing PS4 version until I can import PS3 world. GF and I are not starting again from scratch.

Krilekk

Banned
That moment when you are loaded after a mining session, on your way back and get shot into lava by a skelly ... Good old Minecraft!

So I started near this cliffside, overlooking the ocean. Really gorgeous as Minecraft goes.

So I started building a house and looking around. Seems I'm not close to any mine entrances at all.

Am I right to think I should go scout out a mine then build near there? Or keep my prime location, and just build a mine shack there?

Help me, GAF. This is huge and new. :)

GhaleonEB

So I started near this cliffside, overlooking the ocean. Really gorgeous as Minecraft goes.

So I started building a house and looking around. Seems I'm not close to any mine entrances at all.

Am I right to think I should go scout out a mine then build near there? Or keep my prime location, and just build a mine shack there?

I like to set up where I like, and then go digging my own mine. Just pick a spot and start heading down. You'll run into some caverns sooner or later.

Mik2121

The way I have always done on the PC version is...

- Spend the first 3 days running around the area, looking for beautiful spots. Until I find one, I'll just make a small hole on a cliff and spend the night there, and meanwhile also getting myself some basic tools and stone or wood blocks depending on the area and what's easier to get by.

- Once I find the spot I like, I actually make a small house nearby, which will be the "builder's house". Basically a small house with some underground floor that holds TONS of chests, furnaces and whatever else.

- From here on, I decide what I will build, be it a castle or some palace or whatever. Then somewhat plan how much space I'll use and start gathering stuff.

One thing you will want to do is find animals. Find a few and make a small farm near where you live (in my case, near the builder's house). That way you can also get all your food from there without worrying. Also plant some other stuff to be able to survive there :)

Gosh, I want to go back to Minecraft now! It's been so long since the last time I played it...

Bsigg12

So I was building what I am calling the 4 Biome Tower because it's at this crazy intersection of the snow, jungle, beach and plains biomes when I found stone brick in the crafting menu. It looks so much better... So now I'm in the process of tearing down the 12x12x100 smooth stone walls I made to switch it out with the bricks.

Hatchtag

Banned
Quick question, how easy and fun is it to grief in Minecraft on Xbox One? It was relatively easy and very fun in vanilla on PC up until a certain point.

GulAtiCa

Made my first mine cart & track combo! That and was lucky enough to find some redstones while digging down, so could power it. Currently building a track from my sub-sub-basement to get to the desert quicker/easier. Even after what seems like 150 tracks, still need like 200ish more.

Need more iron now..

shem935

Banned

You will run into something. Just dig a tunnel down at an angle. You will know you are close to one when you can hear spiders and zombies through the walls.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can't believe that I just sunk 6 hours into creative mode without blinking an eye. Building roller coasters out of powered tracks is addictive.

Checking Live With Playstation and there are Atleast 10 Minecraft streams going on. Some impressive building projects going on out there.

So tempted to get this along with Destiny

You realize gamers will always be looking for the best deal right? This shit aint new and comes with the territory. (remember the EA store glitch that everyone and their mother took advantage of and ended up with tons of free games)

So even though its a massive fun game, if I can get the $5 deal, I will do my best to get it. Im not bitching Im not getting it, just wondering how some others got it recently as of sept. 3rd/4th so excuse me for trying to find out how they did it. Its possible with the physical disk still so if there is a chance....(not only that Destiny launches this week so if I can save some $$, I will)

On-topic, will the PS4/XB1 still get updated for the foreseeable future? Did the PS360 version get newer content after launch?

This is not the same as getting a deal somewhere.. this is just a loophole. If people start abusing it, we might not see this offer in the future.

GulAtiCa

Welp.. And I dug myself into lava. Though my items (not many, other then some iron pickaxes I wanted to keep) may be lost, I at least made a ladder system all the way down.

To me it was the most fun creating my own tunnel and mine system right under my house. It started to spread so large that I hit the limits of the world (360 version).

You will automatically connect to natural caves the more you dig around since there are so many.

Daffy Duck

I just found my first mine today. It's amazing how large it is. Got lost trying to head home.

The mine I've been exploring is massive, and a couple of times I've had to backtrack before going on to make sure I know my way out.

I want to explore this system for more diamonds too but I also want to experience more of the map and not get stuck in one area, decisions decisions.

Also nothing more disappointing than finding an epic cave entrance and it then not going anywhere.

Mastperf

Dig your mine to level 12. Most of the lava spawns at that level so it will be on the same level as you and won't pour in on you. Diamonds also spawn near lava so it seems to be the most efficient diamond level as well.

BigDug13

Does anyone else leave bread crumbs to their houses? I like to construct monumental vertical columns of dirt, then as I drop off the back end, I spam my torch key while facing my house. It lets me know if i find any tower that the torches are on the opposite side of which direction I need to head to my house. Then periodically I'll place torches on trees on the opposing side to the direction my house is in. If it's diagonal from the tree then I place torches on both opposing corners to the direction.

I do the same thing in mines. If it's a spot where I drop down some stairs to a crossroads, I drop a shitload of torches so that I know to look up to find the staircase out.

hitmon

Well I am hooked. All three platform versions for $25 ain't bad. Too bad I can't do cross save between PS4 and Vita version whenever it comes out.

Totally new to this so have some questions. Is iron rare? I've only found 2 iron items so far while digging with the pick axe. I've gotten a bunch of cobblestones, but where do I find stone to make the slabs?

So much time lost and I haven't even completed my home yet. One of those monsters exploded in my incomplete home so now I need to repair the damage.

As someone with a former Minecraft addiction it's rather amusing to see so many people discovering it for the first time, and learning things that are second nature to me now. Enjoy it guys, it's not for everyone but the game's really something. Kinda makes me want to try to get back into it...

Well I am hooked. All three platform versions for $25 ain't bad. Too bad I can't do cross save between PS4 and Vita version whenever it comes out.

Totally new to this so have some questions. Is iron rare? I've only found 2 iron items so far while digging with the pick axe. I've gotten a bunch of cobblestones, but where do I find stone to make the slabs?

So much time lost and I haven't even completed my home yet. One of those monsters exploded in my incomplete home so now I need to repair the damage.

Iron's not that rare, no. It does depend a bit on luck of the draw though, just make sure you're exploring below ground level (if the console versions tell you your altitude, that'll be below level 64). When starting out I like to look around for existing caves in the landscape; they tend to be shallow and not lead anywhere but can be a quick way to find some iron and get started. Also good for coal which is just as important if not more so at the beginning!

To get stone you have to cook cobblestone in a furnace. A furnace itself if you don't have one is 8 cobblestone, and once you have it you'll need a piece of coal to fuel it. One coal is then good for smelting a stack of 8 items.

hitmon

As someone with a former Minecraft addiction it's rather amusing to see so many people discovering it for the first time, and learning things that are second nature to me now. Enjoy it guys, it's not for everyone but the game's really something. Kinda makes me want to try to get back into it...

Iron's not that rare, no. It does depend a bit on luck of the draw though, just make sure you're exploring below ground level (if the console versions tell you your altitude, that'll be below level 64). When starting out I like to look around for existing caves in the landscape; they tend to be shallow and not lead anywhere but can be a quick way to find some iron and get started. Also good for coal which is just as important if not more so at the beginning!

To get stone you have to cook cobblestone in a furnace. A furnace itself if you don't have one is 8 cobblestone, and once you have it you'll need a piece of coal to fuel it. One coal is then good for smelting a stack of 8 items.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if the altitude is displayed on the console version... Where does that usually display? Is it possible to mark locations on the map?

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure if the altitude is displayed on the console version... Where does that usually display? Is it possible to mark locations on the map?

On PC you have to turn on the debug screen to see it so I'm pretty sure that doesn't work on console. After a bit of research though it seems that if you make a map it'll display your coordinates on it, with the altitude being the Y value there. Maps are 8 paper and a compass, with paper in turn made from three sugar canes per three papers while the compass is 4 iron ingots and a redstone dust. Redstone is only available deep down near lava level so... I wouldn't exactly worry about that right now, haha. Just make sure that you're not looking in hills for iron but rather are going down for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They need to add infinite worlds. Even if most people won't use it, you might want to explore a long way to find a nice biome.

If the mobile version can do it, PS4/XB1 should be able to. And my PS4 has some pretty big save games so I can't imagine it would be impossible.

Although I think the mobile version is done by Mojang directly, vs 4J for console?

RdN

They need to add infinite worlds. Even if most people won't use it, you might want to explore a long way to find a nice biome.

If the mobile version can do it, PS4/XB1 should be able to. And my PS4 has some pretty big save games so I can't imagine it would be impossible.

Although I think the mobile version is done by Mojang directly, vs 4J for console?

Completely agree.

I belive it's 4Js fault, really. Just look at his long it took for them to port these versions.

If it were Mojang, I believe we would have infinite worlds. Just like you said, the fucking mobile version supports it, it baffles me that the PS4 and XBO versions doesn't.

BigDug13

Completely agree.

I belive it's 4Js fault, really. Just look at his long it took for them to port these versions.

If it were Mojang, I believe we would have infinite worlds. Just like you said, the fucking mobile version supports it, it baffles me that the PS4 and XBO versions doesn't.

It's not 4J's fault. Sony and MS set limits. PS360/Vita had one limit and PS4/XBO has another. I guess Apple and Google do not have the same limits on phones as consoles do. It's about save file limits that are imposed by Sony/Ms,not 4J.

I will try to give this game another go. Maybe I'll know what the heck is it all about lol

I sat with my nephew that day, when I asked him what the game is about, he had no clear answer, so I assumed it's one of those games

So, any tips for a complete clueless beginner?

EDIT: I'm downloading the demo now.. I hope I could get into it. This could be a nice office game lol

Into

What i do to be able to find my home, is use all the rock i mine to build a gigantic needle full of torches, so i can see it from anywhere.

The only thing to remember is to build it next to water, so that you can jump off and not die.

I build ones that even penetrate the clouds where you can no longer see the ground.

Looks dumb, but its awesome

I will try to give this game another go. Maybe I'll know what the heck is it all about lol

I sat with my nephew that day, when I asked him what the game is about, he had no clear answer, so I assumed it's one of those games

So, any tips for a complete clueless beginner?

EDIT: I'm downloading the demo now.. I hope I could get into it. This could be a nice office game lol

The demo is a tutorial level that explains everything pretty well. The problem is that it does almost too good of a job of that as there's a LOT to explain if you want to know eeeverryything the game has. So it can be overwhelming. The game does kinda let you roam and do what you want after the basics though.

The tutorial is neat as its full of pre-built things scattered through the world so you can get a feel of some of the things you can build, and gives a sense of discovery at the same time. A good example is that there's several music discs hidden through the whole tutorial map to find, so even the demo itself has a lot to do.

Survival tips though: most useful items to start are a Door, a bed, and torches. If you ever just feel like exploring or night is approaching and you aren't in a safe area, just dig a hole in the side of a wall, place a torch by the entrance to keep monsters away from the door and of course the door to close it off. Light up your make-shift home with some more torches and take a nap till day returns.

Also tree wood can be make into charcoal for your first torches. It can also be used as the fuel source; any wood or coal items can be. Straight tree wood is a bad fuel source though but charcoal is a good one, so switching to charcoal ASAP is a must and then look for coal in caves when you are able.

The demo is a tutorial level that explains everything pretty well. The problem is that it does almost too good of a job of that as there's a LOT to explain if you want to know eeeverryything the game has. So it can be overwhelming. The game does kinda let you roam and do what you want after the basics though.

The tutorial is neat as its full of pre-built things scattered through the world so you can get a feel of some of the things you can build, and gives a sense of discovery at the same time. A good example is that there's several music discs hidden through the whole tutorial map to find, so even the demo itself has a lot to do.

How to access the tutorial? It only asked me to press E to access the inventory.. Then I got busy trying to punch a rabbit to death.. I couldn't.. Tried to swim to an octopus but then it got a bit scary

How to access the tutorial? It only asked me to press E to access the inventory.. Then I got busy trying to punch a rabbit to death.. I couldn't.. Tried to swim to an octopus but then it got a bit scary

Oh, I assumed you were playing the console version D:

No tutorial on PC :(

I skimmed over "office" and "E" hahaha.

Read my edited bits about basic survival :p

I'm sure there's a lot better people to ask since I'm far from a minecraft expert, but i'd assume those people are hard to come by at this hour.

EDIT: a few more bits since you're playing PC. unless they changed it I dont think the PC version tells you what you need to build what. the Wiki comes in handy there. Sorry PC version is not nearly as noob friendly as the console version.

Some essentials:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Crafting_table

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Wood_Door#Wood_Doors

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Furnace

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Torches

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bed

Oh, I assumed you were playing the console version D:

No tutorial on PC :(

I skimmed over "office" and "E" hahaha.

Read my edited bits about basic survival :p

I'm sure there's a lot better people to ask since I'm far from a minecraft expert, but i'd assume those people are hard to come by at this hour.

EDIT: a few more bits since you're playing PC. unless they changed it I dont think the PC version tells you what you need to build what. the Wiki comes in handy there. Sorry PC version is not nearly as noob friendly as the console version.

Some essentials:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Crafting_table

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Wood_Door#Wood_Doors

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Furnace

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Torches

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bed

Thanks a lot.

There's an "achievements" tab in the options and I think it takes you through what you need to do at the beginning. Just like a tutorial.

Now it's asking me to create a bench from 4 planks .. I placed the planks in the thingy, and I can only make buttons! LOL ..

Abylim

Probably mentioned earlier in thread, but couldnt find it: is there only one end portal now? That will take forever to find if its just randomly on one of 25 maps.

Also, anyone else having their tamed wolves and cats randomly teleporting to them from home? I told them to sit at home, but twice now They have ALL teleported to me. Lost a few kitties this way =\

Scanna

hey guys, did not find anything in OP, does someone know the differences between X1 and PS4 versions of the game?
plus I am starting to play this for the first time on Xbox One, I am actually kinda scared

hey guys, did not find anything in OP, does someone know the differences between X1 and PS4 versions of the game?
plus I am starting to play this for the first time on Xbox One, I am actually kinda scared

far as I can tell the only difference is in DLC, MS has more and some based on their ips, and sony has some based on their ips. If in the UK however MS upped the DLC prices on the XO versions of DLC compared to 360. I don't know if mainland europe prices were altered.

how do you apply a texture pack?

Top Bottom