• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

ReaperXL7

This is my first time actually getting to dit down and play Minecraft and it's really an interesting experience. I started up a world, explored a bit, night came and then some netherman slaughtered me.

Have it installed, waiting until after the game to play.
Can't wait, this will be my first time playing Minecraft. How is the PS4 version guys?

I havnt been keeping up with Minecraft on PS4 but is there any advantage to this being on PS4?

Better graphics?

Does it come with texture packs?

Mastperf

I havnt been keeping up with Minecraft on PS4 but is there any advantage to this being on PS4?

Better graphics?

Does it come with texture packs?
It's 1080p and offers a better draw distance as well as the option to have worlds 36x bigger than the 360 and PS3 versions. It also has new music which is very welcome after hearing the old music for so long. The old music is still in rotation too for those that like it.
The texture packs are the same as the PS3 version and ones already purchased carry over to PS4.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Minecraft Remote Play might be the most graphically flawless entity to ever exist on a handheld device. It's supersampled from 1080p and has an absolutely insane amount of AA. When I just stop and look, I can't see pixels, it just kind of exists. Mind you, the Vita has like a qHD resolution, so that's insane.

Blizzard

Banned
This is my first time actually getting to dit down and play Minecraft and it's really an interesting experience. I started up a world, explored a bit, night came and then some netherman slaughtered me.
With so many people having played it, it's nice to see there are still people experiencing it for the first time. Hopefully you have the Penny Arcade progression happen to you. :p

1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Frazley

Minecraft Remote Play might be the most graphically flawless entity to ever exist on a handheld device. It's supersampled from 1080p and has an absolutely insane amount of AA. When I just stop and look, I can't see pixels, it just kind of exists. Mind you, the Vita has like a qHD resolution, so that's insane.
Agreed! This is helping me to not long so much for the native Vita port. It feels so flawless on Remote Play!

Zee-Row

Banned
Is it possible to buy the PS3 Minecraft , Upgrade to the PS4 version and still get the Vita version in cross buy?

I know, right. Just think, the actually Vita version might actually look and run worse! Crazy! My only issue was it was a little hard to see the item bar, but since I've played enough Minecraft, I knew the whereabouts of the items I needed. Other than that, it looks (and runs) phenomenal.

Is it possible to buy the PS3 Minecraft , Upgrade to the PS4 version and still get the Vita version in cross buy?

Yes, considering a purchase of the PS3 version automatically nets you the Vita version (at least when it comes out).

Krakn3Dfx

Been playing, great version, so smooth. Do yourself a favor and pick up the Natural texture pack for a buck as well, definitely a huge improvement over the base textures.

My 7yo son is mucking around with it and the first disappointment he has:

WHERE ARE THE REDSTONE BLOCKS (Block of REDSTONE) http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Block_of_Redstone

this was the 1.5 "redstone update" of March 2013.

I'm worried that it is the same as the PS3 version with longer draw distances but has no parity to the basic PC version.

The PS3 version had redstone ore and redstone, but no redstone block. the PS4 version looks the same.

With so many people having played it, it's nice to see there are still people experiencing it for the first time. Hopefully you have the Penny Arcade progression happen to you. :p

1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

I can only hope that happens to me. I played this on the PC with a bunch of my friends a few years back, then on the Xbox 360 when it launched there, and now I just picked it up again and it seems they added so many things that I wasn't even aware of. I'm learning how to play all over again, it seems. But that's part of the fun of this game!

Steel

Banned
I'm worried that it is the same as the PS3 version with longer draw distances but has no parity to the basic PC version.

The PS3 version had redstone ore and redstone, but no redstone block. the PS4 version looks the same.

You're right, it is. Actually, it's a couple updates ahead of the ps3 version from what I understand. But no parity.

But no parity.

Well that sucks and gaf being gaf I'm surprised there isn't a torch carrying mob already.

Are minecraft players too nice? there isn't any excuse IMO.

The PS4 could run the current PC version without breaking a sweat why offer a 2 year old version? Is there an announcement they'll patch faster to catch up? I paid for an old version and I can't see anywhere any documentation on which stale version it was based on. Stupid me I assumed it would be PC version without mods !

My kids devour those very popular minecraft handbooks, and the minecraft construction handbook in particular. They were looking forward to doing things that were in that book in split screen with their friends on the big TV.

asvpxjad

Banned
played minecraft on ps4 today with 3 other friends for about 3 hours today.. Have to say im really enjoying it so far. It definitely has a learning curve.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well, I guess I'm going to return my used ps3 copy. I didn't play it before the 28th.

Finding people to play with on the ps3 was hell this week. I was searching minecraft forums and there were people posting in random 2 year old for invites where the OP only posted once . lol. All that bumping for nothing.

I guess the ps4 version will peak some active communities, but meh. For me to spend $20-25 I'd like to have a server browser at least and see plans to roll out updates to catch up to the PC version.

Steel

Banned
Well that sucks and gaf being gaf I'm surprised there isn't a torch carrying mob already.

The PS4 could run the current PC version without breaking a sweat why offer a 2 year old version? Is there an announcement they'll patch faster to catch up? I paid for an old version and I can't see anywhere any documentation on which stale version it was based on. Stupid me I assumed it would be PC version without mods !

My kids devour those very popular minecraft handbooks, and the minecraft construction handbook in particular. They were looking forward to doing things that were in that book in split screen with their friends on the big TV.

4J's pretty slow and now they have to deal with more builds than ever, so I don't think they'll catch up. And from what I understand, the PC version uses Java, the console version does not, so it can't be a copy and paste thing. The only thing the Console version offers over the PC version has always been splitscreen, and that's it.

The PS3 and 360 versions are not behind the PC updates because they can't handle it, they're behind because of how slow porting the updates goes.

Heads up. Anybody who played the disc version of Minecraft PS3 prior to August 29th also now owns the digital version of the game. I figure this is to set up the vita cross buy situation, but I never bought the game and bam im downloading the full thing right now. Guess I have to buy the PS4 version now because I feel bad.

The only thing the Console version offers over the PC version has always been splitscreen, and that's it..

well not really, the controller interface, like Diablo 3 has shown, is more relaxing and the auto-crafting stuff is convenient. My kids resisted vanilla minecraft on laptops and PCs due to mouse keyboard and having to be told how to craft things but they got drawn into the PS3 version fast.

For a title that is going to make TONS of money for mojang, I don't think the ooh its too hard to port excuse holds any water. They could run Java on the PS4 if they wanted. Then there wouldn't be a porting issue.

I heard they are going to add realms (rented servers) and that has been a huge money spinner. Spend some of the rivers of cash on more developers, this is minecraft, not rocket science!

Dredd97

The PC version has only been updated this week to version 1.8 after being in development for 300+ days (the longest, and biggest update yet)..

4J have said in future they want to update the consoles fairly quickly after the PC has been patched, but it's going to be a while before they get near parity...

Now the current gen versions are finished I expect the patching times to improve (one of the reasons the ps360 versions haven't been updated very often is because 4J had considerable resources attached to the current gen builds)...

I'd like to add if there was one thing I wish the ps4 version had would be the ability to use shader packs...

They make minecraft so much better (visually)...

redhot_

For a title that is going to make TONS of money for mojang, I don't think the ooh its too hard to port excuse holds any water. They could run Java on the PS4 if they wanted. Then there wouldn't be a porting issue

According to their wiki they only got 18 people working there. Could be why it's slow on the updates... But I know nothing about game studios and how they are run. It does seem like a small number for a game that prints money though.

The PC version has only been updated this week to version 1.8 after being in development for 300+ days (the longest, and biggest update yet)..

Yeah I wouldn't have expected 1.8 if it has been almost a year in incubation.

but how about 1.7
or 1.6
or 1.5 ...
and a roadmap, before people put down cash..

I go to the 4j site and there isn't even mention of the PS4 edition, instead they talk about how the xbox 360 minecraft got a bafta in 2013.

Perhaps Mojang don't care that much, they just outsourced it all except for PC and pocket edition to a studio that isn't big enough for the number of users:
https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1274139-different-minecraft-editions

According to their wiki they only got 18 people working there. Could be why it's slow on the updates... But I know nothing about game studios and how they are run. It does seem like a small number for a game that prints money though.
Sorry, but that's absolutely insane. No wonder it's taken them over a year.

They're pretty bad at formal communication too i.e. no "Sorry we totally missed August" response.

Look at this old tweet from 4J back in June.

"Minecraft console editions together just passed Minecraft for PC/Mac. And across all platforms we've sold almost 54 million copies."

So Mojang have their priorities all confused. IMO.

ReaperXL7

1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Well to be honest the first thing I did was dig a hole to hell and died.Learning through baby steps as I refuse to play a game like this with any guides.

Its a lot of fun though and my daughter is teaching me a few things about it.

Getting lost underground and hearing unidentified growls as you plummet further into the subterranean landscape, clutching your half broken pickaxe for dear life.

Thas' Minecraft.

Hellers

New to Minecraft here and I've got a quick question, sorry if it's already been asked. When creating a world, it gives the option for other texture packs, such as Fantasy. But it's only a trial so you can't save. But when I check the store to try and buy it, there's nothing there.

So, do we know when it will be available? and if I create a world and build upon it but later purchase the Fantasy texture pack, will I be able to apply it to my current world? or will it only be available when creating a new world.

Thanks.

Edit: Scratch all of this, nothing was showing up in the store from the game menu, but actually going to the PS store I see that everything is available.

I know you've solved your issue but couple of extra things you might not be aware of. Texture packs can be changed whenever you load up a world. You're not restricted to the one you created the world with. Also you can try any of the available texture packs for free. You just can't save.

I like the city pack. Very clean underground.

GulAtiCa

1st time playing the game. Really enjoying it so far. Curious to see how far up I can build or how far down I can dig.

Well to be honest the first thing I did was dig a hole to hell and died.Learning through baby steps as I refuse to play a game like this with any guides.

Its a lot of fun though and my daughter is teaching me a few things about it.

Definitely the best way to play it and it's much more rewarding looking back.

I actually still remember my first couple Minecraft nights and having to sprint back home as the sun was going down. My friends and I didn't have any torches, but we had flint and steel so we set a forest on fire to light the way home (this was before they nerfed fire on PC). If it wasn't the mobs that killed someone, it was the fire. Probably the best time I've ever had playing a multiplayer game. Play with other people if you can, it really makes the experience that much better.

Really enjoying reading from all the first time players.

DeviantBoi

Anyone wanna try the following?

1. Rent Minecraft
2. Disconnect PS3 from internet
3. Change date to before August 28
4. Play the game and get a trophy
5. Hook the PS3 back online
6. Sync trophies
7. See if the discounted price shows up

Or might there be a reason for this not working?

with no confirmed support this is a tough sell for a game at 20 bucks.

so it's the same console version (360/ps3) that looks better with new music tracks and has PC comparable map sizes?

are there any other new features I am missing?

ObbyDent

Banned
with no confirmed support this is a tough sell for a game at 20 bucks.

so it's the same console version (360/ps3) that looks better with new music tracks and has PC comparable map sizes?

are there any other new features I am missing?

Nope. Both PC and mobile phone versions have infinite worlds. All console versions will end eventually.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This isn't my first experience with Mindcraft, but before yesterday I had only played a few hours of the PC version. This time around it's really clicked with me. I've played other games in the survivalcraft genre, but I can now see that this is still the purest, best take on it. I really gets into your head with the addictive, "just one more thing to do..." carrot on a stick appeal that keeps you playing hours longer than you intended. But more than anything I love building shit. I just finished the basic form of my lair, built on the highest tree I could find. Only accessible by a narrow bridge atop a mountain.

Stuck at work for a long time, but all I can think about is getting back to this game. Good stuff.

Anyone wanna try the following?

1. Rent Minecraft
2. Disconnect PS3 from internet
3. Change date to before August 28
4. Play the game and get a trophy
5. Hook the PS3 back online
6. Sync trophies
7. See if the discounted price shows up

Or might there be a reason for this not working?
I don't think trophies register a date if you warn them offline. But I could be wrong.

I'm so damn curious about this game but I feel like I'll be wasting my money if I don't like the building aspect. Can you just go visit other places? Or is this whole thing basically "build stuff on your own?"

This is fantastic to hear, as I play my Vita 95% on my couch. Now I can play on the big screen or small with a single purchase.

Great to see the game runs so well. Looking forward to jumping back into this. Had a good experience on 360 but stopped after a while.

I wish there was an easier way to see other players in your game. When my buddy and I were playing last night it was hard to see each other as soon as we were a little ways away.

Any tips on finding a player on your map if you are completely lost?

The first thing I did was gather some supplies and head south for as long as I could. I ran into the edge of the world sooner than I would have liked. =(

Hollycat

Stayed up all night building a castle in the sky in survival mode. Only way up is by a fountain next to a mine shaft that goes straight to bedrock with a 5x5 whole all the way down for light. WHOO.

My life is officially over now.

Zambatoh

I have a question about the PS4 version.
In the previous console versions you are restricted to 1 chunk of land, but are you finally able to venture out into other chunks (like the PC version) or is it still the same here?

Daffy Duck

Stayed up all night building a castle in the sky in survival mode. Only way up is by a fountain next to a mine shaft that goes straight to bedrock with a 5x5 whole all the way down for light. WHOO.

My life is officially over now.

That's impressive in survival mode you must have mined for hours to get materials.

Hollycat

Vita version is free as long as you have the PS3 version, dunno about going from PS4 to Vita tho.

PS4 version is the only upgrade. If you buy the PS4 version for $20, you'll be spending $20 to get the vita version. If you buy PS3 or Vita, you get the other for free and can upgrade to PS4 for $5.
You do not lose your older versions by upgrading.

That's impressive in survival mode you must have mined for hours to get materials.

Thanks.
I only found one diamond the whole time and accidentally blew it up.

Top Bottom