• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PS4/Xbone |OT|

calder

I've never actually played minecraft before, despite owning it on iOS (mainly for my nephew).

I tried it out last night and... ended up playing until 2:30 in the morning. That was shockingly fun even though I went baby-mode because I kept dying at night at first. Now that I know how to start out I think I'll do the adventure mode again.

Shit, I really, REALLY should have bought the PS3 version and upgraded for $5. I just assumed I'd have no interest in the Vita version but now I can see I would be playing it right now at work if I could. :p

Do any of the controller options have "click on touchpad" mapped to bringing up the inventory? For whatever reason, I keep trying to do that instead of hitting Y.

Krakn3Dfx

Amazing how much better this game looks and runs compared to the PS3 version. I fired up the PS3 version at launch for maybe 20 minutes, never touched it again (it got me to dump a bunch more time into the PC version tho). I can see myself dropping quite a bit of time into the PS4 version tho.

If they can get some sort of server support in place, even if it's a platform specific Minecraft Worlds setup, that would be pretty awesome. No one on my friend's list was playing last night.

Hollycat

I feel like they could benifit from approaching some of the better mod creators and asking them if they want to bring their content as DLC.

Does that sound dumb?

HeeHo

Well that sucks and gaf being gaf I'm surprised there isn't a torch carrying mob already.

Are minecraft players too nice? there isn't any excuse IMO.

The PS4 could run the current PC version without breaking a sweat why offer a 2 year old version? Is there an announcement they'll patch faster to catch up? I paid for an old version and I can't see anywhere any documentation on which stale version it was based on. Stupid me I assumed it would be PC version without mods !

My kids devour those very popular minecraft handbooks, and the minecraft construction handbook in particular. They were looking forward to doing things that were in that book in split screen with their friends on the big TV.

As someone who has played Minecraft 360 for years now, I can't help but feel like eyerolling to no end at your post here. The console versions of Minecraft are developed separately by a small swedish team, they basically have to re-code everything for the console versions and it takes them quite a bit of time to catch up to even older PC features. The gap is narrowing faster and faster to the PC version but if you wanted it to be exactly on par with the PC version, you were already living in fantasy land. You also wouldn't have gotten your Minecraft PS4 yesterday. With the 360 version, I waited a long time for simple features such as villager breeding or hell, even levelling. To come into this thread and complain that it's not an exact PC port without mods, is just a little bit frustrating to me.

KalBalboa

Banned
Vita version is free as long as you have the PS3 version, dunno about going from PS4 to Vita tho.

PS4 version is the only upgrade. If you buy the PS4 version for $20, you'll be spending $20 to get the vita version. If you buy PS3 or Vita, you get the other for free and can upgrade to PS4 for $5.
You do not lose your older versions by upgrading

So no Buy PS4 version, pay $5 for Vita? It's basically $40 to get PS4 + Vita?

Stayed up all night building a castle in the sky in survival mode. Only way up is by a fountain next to a mine shaft that goes straight to bedrock with a 5x5 whole all the way down for light. WHOO.

My life is officially over now.

I've always wanted to make a cool sky castle/fortress, too but I could never figure a cool way to get off. The other day a thought popped in my head and I can't believe I never thought of this before, but what I now plan to do is have on the ground a portal to the nether. On the other end (in the nether) is an enclosed room safe from any nether creatures (maybe dug into the ground). Inside this room is a second nether portal which brings you back to the main world, however this time you are now on the sky fortress.

As someone who has played Minecraft 360 for years now, I can't help but feel like eyerolling to no end at your post here. The console versions of Minecraft are developed separately by a small swedish team, they basically have to re-code everything for the console versions and it takes them quite a bit of time to catch up to even older PC features. The gap is narrowing faster and faster to the PC version but if you wanted it to be exactly on par with the PC version, you were already living in fantasy land. You also wouldn't have gotten your Minecraft PS4 yesterday. With the 360 version, I waited a long time for simple features such as villager breeding or hell, even levelling. To come into this thread and complain that it's not an exact PC port without mods, is just a little bit frustrating to me.

Exactly. And look at Minecraft: Pocket edition and how long it took for that to become what it is today. I remember IGN giving it such as bad review, but when they started doing their re-reviews of games that had updates and whatnot (do they still even do that?), they scored it much, much better. It's gonna be quite some time before we see mutton and rabbit (and whatever else they added) in anything other than the PC version.

eliochip

Can you play local multiplayer without splitscreen? Like using my Vita and someone else using the TV.

Really wanna get this but I don't like splitscreen

There should be a way to set up what monsters appear in the game. Like I'd like a game with just zombies. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard.

Epcott

I fell asleep last night while playing the tutorial. I'm getting too old for gaming :(

Is this game difficult enough to warrant a tutorial walkthrough?

Downloaded the demo to see what the big deal was. Played for a small bit of time and built the ugliest shelter. Night fell as I built my furnace but couldn't get the damn thing to start up. Tried with different fuel sources and ingredients and nothing happened.

I ventured out of my slum in gather more wood when a spider started attacking me. I couldn't get back to my lousy shelter because I thought it would be a good idea to seal it up in case something tried to get it. The spider killed me.

Its a bummer you can't save in the demo. Still on the fence about a purchase though. Seems like it could be good random fun.

Can you play local multiplayer without splitscreen? Like using my Vita and someone else using the TV.

Really wanna get this but I don't like splitscreen

I don't think so.

Remote Play works by mirroring what would go to the TV and it doesn't act as a separate second screen. That would be neat though.

aett

Every year or so I start up Minecraft again and this is how my experience goes:

*Make the basic equipment
*Find a mountain with a good source of coal
*Set up a simple base there
*Start mining, gradually working my way down as I make better stuff
*Eventually get diamonds and make diamond equipment (this might involve finding a second location)
*Start building some slightly fancier stuff for the hell of it
*Get bored since there's not really any "goal" after that

I guess I never was much of a Lego kid.

Vidpixel

I apologize if this has been asked already, but have they said if the worlds in the PS4 version have more vertical blocks or deeper worlds when compared to the last-gen versions? I know they said they're 36 times bigger, but is that only taking into account the flat landmass or everything as a whole?

baconcow

Every year or so I start up Minecraft again and this is how my experience goes:

*Make the basic equipment
*Find a mountain with a good source of coal
*Set up a simple base there
*Start mining, gradually working my way down as I make better stuff
*Eventually get diamonds and make diamond equipment (this might involve finding a second location)
*Start building some slightly fancier stuff for the hell of it
*Get bored since there's not really any "goal" after that

I guess I never was much of a Lego kid.

I think that, late game, what's left is making more interesting things and experimenting. While I am not a big fan of creative mode, as I like the feeling of earning what I build, there are definitely aspects of exploration that can make some late game stuff fun.

There is also going to the netherworld. Getting ender pearls and finding the portal. Going to fight the dragon.
Magic, traps, and more to explore. There is a huge amount of content in the game, but it is well hidden to those who do not seek it out.

I apologize if this has been asked already, but have they said if the worlds in the PS4 version have more vertical blocks or deeper worlds when compared to the last-gen versions? I know they said they're 36 times bigger, but is that only taking into account the flat landmass or everything as a whole?

I have asked them on twitter and have not received a response. From my understanding, the world is limited to 256 vertical blocks, with 6 times more blocks in both of the x/y world coordinates (making the world roughly 5000 x 5000 x 256 blocks. The PS3 version was roughly limited to the map you're given at the beginning. In this version, you can go well beyond that. There should be able 36 map pieces required to complete the total area. Version 1.2.1, on PC, changed the height from 128 to 256. I am not sure what the console height is.

PaperCarrier1980 posted this simple image on minecraftforum.
MCworldsize_zpsce32564d.png

Hollycat

I'm pretty sure the height in PS4 is somewhere between 200 and 256. The fountain I made is 3 stacks of 64 above bedrock, so the minimum height would be 192.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Those of you playing for the first time - one tip for the first night.

Assuming you are going to dig a hole into a hillside to hide out the first night, you'll want torches so you can see. But maybe you're worried about finding coal? Ignore coal for that first day - make charcoal instead. Burn logs using other lots as fuel and they'll make charcoal, then use the charcoal to make torches and also as fuel (stop using logs as fuel as soon as you can because they burn out quickly - charcoal will last a lot longer)

N° 2048

Assuming you are going to dig a hole into a hillside to hide out the first night, you'll want torches so you can see. But maybe you're worried about finding coal? Ignore coal for that first day - make charcoal instead. Burn logs using other lots as fuel and they'll make charcoal, then use the charcoal to make torches and also as fuel (stop using logs as fuel as soon as you can because they burn out quickly - charcoal will last a lot longer)

Wow, thank you so much. I was getting frustrated at the lack of coal I was finding.

Also, went from "Oh hey, this game is co-op" to playing 4 hours in a row with the girlfriend.

Has anyone confirmed if we can go buy the physical PS3 version now and still get the $5 upgrade? Or did that definitely need to be before the 28th?

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone confirmed if we can go buy the physical PS3 version now and still get the $5 upgrade? Or did that definitely need to be before the 28th?

Definitely needs to be before the 28th. I bought a used copy yesterday and played it, saved, uploaded to PS+, everything and the PS4 version was still $19.99.

N° 2048

Definitely needs to be before the 28th. I bought a used copy yesterday and played it, saved, uploaded to PS+, everything and the PS4 version was still $19.99.

I bought my PS3 copy Sept 3rd and upgraded no problem for $5 yesterday.

Jomjom

Banned
I bought my PS3 copy Sept 3rd and upgraded no problem for $5 yesterday.

Whattttt? What did you do to get it to show up as $5? No previous saves for Minecraft before Sept 3rd right? Like borrowing the game or something?

This is the physical copy you are referring to right?

N° 2048

Whattttt? What did you do to get it to show up as $5? No previous saves for Minecraft before Sept 3rd right? Like borrowing the game or something?

Nope, only played on PC. Never even tried the demo (if there is one).

I just added the PS4 version to the cart and it went from 19.99 to 4.99.

A few people in this thread also did it after Aug 28 and the discount worked. Maybe there was a small window left open by accident but now it's closed?

New copies come with codes.

Edit: I guess not

NeonDelta

Played for about 8 hours today and all I've done is built an empty 2 floor house and a makeshift moat around the outside.

Holy shit thank you. I mined some coal so I used that instead but yeah this is crazy effective.

When I fired up MC for the first time in a while on PC a year ago, learning that you could make charcoal out of wood was a revelation. Not getting coal on the first night was always a deal break and being able to just deforest the fuck out of your area and make some charcoal is way better. Also worth noting, once you start making charcoal, switch the charcoal over to the fuel for your stove and just burn wood. You can convert a few pieces of wood to charcoal on one piece of charcoal so it is a net positive for charcoal.

Edit: This game would benefit from some more control options or custom mapping big time. My D-Pad does fuck all. Would love to be able to hot map that to the first 4 inventory slots.

ReaperXL7

Ok so day two and I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I had built a little house out of dirt but I stumbled across a creeper that spawned inside my house and blew it to smithereens so now I'm building up some cobblestone to replace it with. I fenced in a couple of animals since I discovered I can get milk and eggs from Cows and chickens and I have a crafting table and a stove to cook food. Still a pain having to hide in my tiny hovel while creatures growl outside.

Game is fantastic and I really enjoy games that offer this level of experimentation and discovery.

Darknight

Nope, only played on PC. Never even tried the demo (if there is one).

I just added the PS4 version to the cart and it went from 19.99 to 4.99.

A few people in this thread also did it after Aug 28 and the discount worked. Maybe there was a small window left open by accident but now it's closed?

Ok any advice on what you did? Like how many hours did you play PS3 version? From what place did you place add the PS4 version? (PC-Web/Mobile etc) Did you upload your save file to PS+ cloud? How many trophies did you earn? How long after playing the PS3 copy did you wait to try and purchase the PS4 copy? Thanx.

Trying to do this tonight. Maybe its too late, but its only $2 wasted as I got a copy from local Redbox. Cheapass in me is in full force mode lol. If anything ill get it later.

Cmagus

Have you checked the actual psn store in the console? When I go to the website it lists the game at $20 but on Psn it showed up as $5.

N° 2048

Ok any advice on what you did? Like how many hours did you play PS3 version? From what place did you place add the PS4 version? (PC-Web/Mobile etc) Did you upload your save file to PS+ cloud? How many trophies did you earn? How long after playing the PS3 copy did you wait to try and purchase the PS4 copy? Thanx.

Trying to do this tonight. Maybe its too late, but its only $2 wasted as I got a copy from local Redbox. Cheapass in me is in full force mode lol. If anything ill get it later.

I'll be as specific as I can!
I played for at least four hours when I bought it on Sept 3 (Wednesday) around 8PM EST. I saved my game when I was finished like normal then I uploaded to PS+ (I do this because it fails sometimes and I like to be sure) I earned around five trophies from the tutorial (easy trophies btw).

I bought the PS4 version from the mobile store through the Android PlayStation App around evening Sept 4. Came up as $19.99 but added to cart was $4.99.

Jomjom

Banned
Have you checked the actual psn store in the console? When I go to the website it lists the game at $20 but on Psn it showed up as $5.

No, but I'll check when I get home today! Hopefully that's it, although they have stated officially on the PS Blog that you had to log in and play before August 28th.

Did you buy the physical copy of the game after the 28th?

New copies come with codes.

Edit: I guess not

New copies should come with codes, but a lot of retailers aren't going to pull the old stock off the shelves without some kind of notice (hell, places like Walmart wouldn't bother anyway).

But yeah, if you happen to buy a retail edition and it doesn't have a code in it, it just means you grabbed one of the old ones before the whole PS4 upgrade was a thing. It's unfortunate for sure since the window to upgrade via save file is now closed (can't blame Mojang for not wanting people to rent/lend discs endlessly), but I bet if anyone afflicted contacted them via email or Twitter with proof of purchase that they'd be willing to help.

Amir0x

Banned
damn at the world size increase from PS3 to XBO/PS4 version

i'm still surprised every day Minecraft sells the way it does and that the community is as healthy as it still is, but I guess it really is the modern LEGO of our age. I could never quite get addicted to it for some reason.

Darknight

I'll be as specific as I can!
I played for at least four hours when I bought it on Sept 3 (Wednesday) around 8PM EST. I saved my game when I was finished like normal then I uploaded to PS+ (I do this because it fails sometimes and I like to be sure) I earned around five trophies from the tutorial (easy trophies btw).

I bought the PS4 version from the mobile store through the Android PlayStation App around evening Sept 4. Came up as $19.99 but added to cart was $4.99.

Ok thanx. Gonna try to play for like an hour or more. I seriously just booted the Tutorial and got 2-3 trophies, started a new game and saved n quit. Will try tonight else its no biggie. Thank you anyhow for the info!!

LycanXIII

So, I've played about an hour so far, and 3 times it has given me "Network Error: Switching to Offline Game" or something similar. Is that a PSN issue, a MC issue, or something on my end?

redhot_

So, I've played about an hour so far, and 3 times it has given me "Network Error: Switching to Offline Game" or something similar. Is that a PSN issue, a MC issue, or something on my end?

Wow that issue is still in the game....

Had that a bunch on the ps3 version. I just added ports and all that crap to my router and it seemed to fix it but no guarantee.

ReaperXL7

So I found out I could tame wolves with a bone which led to feeding the two I had some beef and then they ran into each other producing a baby wolf....I shall build my own private army.

That's still going on? I haven't encountered it on the PS4 yet, but I'll be damned. Figured they'd have fixed it at least for the PS4.

Yah I'm disappointed too.

This is wildly disappointing if you come into it with visions in your head of the PC version and all of those insane creations people show off. I guess the best thing to do is treat it as its own experience-- even if it seems a bit crippled in comparison. I don't really regret buying it on consoles, because I have a lot of fun just messing around and playing with company.

Kemal86

I haven't played Minecraft since early 2011.

What the crap is going on. Potions, enchantments, food, XP, orbs, hunger, golems, villagers...overwhelming.

Top Bottom