• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

you can make charcoal by burning wood with wood in the furnace/oven.... the charcoal will attach to sticks to make torches.

Yeah, this is what I learned in the tutorial. Then I started a real level and by the time I was able to build a furnace, workbench and collect some wood, it became night and bad things happened. I take that to mean that I need to work faster.

This game is my new addiction already. Highly recommend it to anyone with a 360 and a young child. The splitscreen is so much fun.

Tattooth

Is it just me, or are mobs more plentiful? A few times now I have seen maybe 4-5 creepers in a 20 block radius, it's crazy!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As I said in my review, they could have kept the exact same interface, but had items be hidden until unlocked by making them the first time. Or, they could have given players an option like, "Do you want to be spoiled by knowing everything that's in the game, or do you want to still discover that stuff on your own?" Something, anything to help keep that aspect of discovery alive.

Well yknow if you wanted to compare it to the PC version instead...

mollipen

Is it just me, or are mobs more plentiful? A few times now I have seen maybe 4-5 creepers in a 20 block radius, it's crazy!

Pretty sure that's an aspect of the worlds being so small—you'll get a far larger concentration of certain things in the game. For example, I had tons of wolves running around, when in my various PC worlds I've hardly ever seen them a lot of the time.

owlbeak

Only nitpick is that it seems like the world is MUUUUUUCH smaller. I figured it would be smaller but not this small. I reached the 4 coasts around my island within a half hour. :\ Kind of a bummer. Other than that, feels and plays great. :)

Ohwiseone

I dunno, I can't seem to get the fruance to work right when trying to make glass when playing multi-player. (maybe only the host can do that)

But other than that, I don't care about the smaller world, I have having a great time, and already have been with a few other gafers.

Ramblin

Banned
Well, I explained that in my review. One of the very first concepts that you're introduced to in Minecraft is that you have to survive, but you don't know how to do that. And then you learn that you can build, but you don't really know how to do that either. You find those things out from one of two ways—trial and error, or cheating. Cheating we can't control, and that's a choice that players may make. But that trial and error is a big part of the player's introduction to Minecraft, and where I think a lot of that initial connect to the game is made. Forget mine carts or beds or glass or whatever else—your first discoveries are things like a stick, or a sword, or a torch, and each discovery you make is exciting. What else could be in this game? You wonder that, so as you find more materials, you start trying different combinations. Suddenly, you make come across a pattern for an item you didn't even know was in the game—and that discovery is thrilling!

That entire aspect of Minecraft is gone because of the new crafting UI. Right from the moment you boot the game, all of those discoveries are just handed to you on a platter. Discovering those initial creations like a stick or a sword or a torch are meaningless, because you're too busy looking at diamond pickaxes or repeaters.

As I said in my review, they could have kept the exact same interface, but had items be hidden until unlocked by making them the first time. Or, they could have given players an option like, "Do you want to be spoiled by knowing everything that's in the game, or do you want to still discover that stuff on your own?" Something, anything to help keep that aspect of discovery alive.

So what would you score it if it had the optional discovery?

Well, I explained that in my review. One of the very first concepts that you're introduced to in Minecraft is that you have to survive, but you don't know how to do that. And then you learn that you can build, but you don't really know how to do that either. You find those things out from one of two ways—trial and error, or cheating. Cheating we can't control, and that's a choice that players may make. But that trial and error is a big part of the player's introduction to Minecraft, and where I think a lot of that initial connect to the game is made. Forget mine carts or beds or glass or whatever else—your first discoveries are things like a stick, or a sword, or a torch, and each discovery you make is exciting. What else could be in this game? You wonder that, so as you find more materials, you start trying different combinations. Suddenly, you make come across a pattern for an item you didn't even know was in the game—and that discovery is thrilling!

That entire aspect of Minecraft is gone because of the new crafting UI. Right from the moment you boot the game, all of those discoveries are just handed to you on a platter. Discovering those initial creations like a stick or a sword or a torch are meaningless, because you're too busy looking at diamond pickaxes or repeaters.

That goes back to "I liked it this way on the PC version" and "it affects an aspect I enjoyed in the PC version" instead of thinking about "how well does this work in the 360 version".

IMO your review is much better suited for an article titled: Here's how the Xbox version stacks up against the PC version.

Zee-Row

Banned
How do i make weapons? it turned nighttime and the enemys keep murdering me! I couldn't builds shelter fast enough!

matt05891

The world being small is really the deciding factor on purchasing it. Unless my friends get it as well I can't spend $20 on something I already own that's drastically reduced in scope. Or maybe I'm taking people's nitpicks far more seriously then they actually are.

Btw I think the crafting system is by far better now. It was annoying when I first got Minecraft (Man almost a year and half ago maybe longer) to have to look up all the formulas just to build things like doors and such. Just to me seems so much better to do it this way although hiding certain schematics to find say in a dungeon boss chests would of been a nice touch.

Grinchy

Banned
hahaha after putting hundreds of hours into Minecraft, there's something very satisfying about seeing someone start fresh. Anyone who has played a lot of the game must get a chuckle out of someone asking how to make torches.

ckohler

Totally, Grinchy. I can't help but smile. I guess there are likely to be a LOT of first time Minecraft players today.

Zee-Row

Banned
hahaha after putting hundreds of hours into Minecraft, there's something very satisfying about seeing someone start fresh. Anyone who has played a lot of the game must get a chuckle out of someone asking how to make torches.

LOL I feel like such a noob!

Blizzard

Banned
How do i make weapons? it turned nighttime and the enemys keep murdering me! I couldn't builds shelter fast enough!
You need wood (or ideally, wood and stone) to make swords. Worst comes to worst, you can just quickly construct yourself a dirt house at night. I think it's always a good idea to carry a stack of dirt around with you, in case you need to make yourself a fort for the evening.

ckohler

Here's my guide for first time players to survive the first night:
  • As soon as you spawn in your new world, look around for trees
  • Punch down several trees (maybe four whole trees or so) and collect the wood
  • Craft wood planks
  • Craft sticks
  • Craft a workbench
  • Use the workbench to craft a pickaxe and a sword
  • Hit your workbench until it breaks. You'll be able to pick it up
  • Find a hill, mountain or preferably a cliff face
  • Use your pickaxe to dig a door sized hole into it
  • use your pickaxe to hollow out a room inside
  • Eventually you'll be mining stone. Use the stone to craft a furnace
  • If you didn't find coal while digging, use the furnace to craft charcoal
  • Craft torches and light up your room
  • Finally, make a door to close off the room from the outside

Now you're safe for the night. Better yet, while the monsters are outside you can expand your room during the night and start digging steps down (never straight down!) to mine more stone/coal/etc throughout the night safely in the light of your torches. :)

S1kkZ

are there any special words you can enter at the "new game" menu? not happy with my random world (way too flat, too much water and looks like a swamp).

mollipen

So what would you score it if it had the optional discovery?

That's always a really tough call. Maybe an extra .5 or so? Far and away the biggest killer of this game for me is the world size, because it so limits the scope of what the game is. Had world size even been, say, four times bigger than it is now, I still would have found it small, but I think I would have given the game a decently higher score.

More on this below...

That goes back to "I liked it this way on the PC version" and "it affects an aspect I enjoyed in the PC version" instead of thinking about "how well does this work in the 360 version".

Games don't live in a vacuum, and while I think you always have to take a look at each game from what it is and what it's trying to be, the PC version of Minecraft still exists, and the XBLA version of Minecraft is still a port of that game (or, at least, I'll argue that point until I'm blue in the face).

And again, completely putting aside the PC version, the world size in the XBLA version of Minecraft is too small for the XBLA version of Minecraft. In the first couple of hours, you may not notice that fact as much, but the more you play, the more apparent it is that it's just so ridiculously small.

My comment on LEGO and building on only one baseplate really is a fitting analogy I think. Yeah, you can make some amazing creations on that one plate—but it also really limits the reaches to which you can take your imagination. You don't have to have owned 200 baseplates before to say "using just one baseplate feels too limited for what I want to do." And that's just looking at things from the creation side, and not the survival/exploration side. Both of those take a clear hit due to world size as well.

So, sure, item discovery is a shame (to me), and I think players would have a better experience with the option to decide if they want things spoiled or not. But far, far bigger of a problem is the world size.

But for some people, they won't care! And that's great. I'm just really sad how compromised this version of the game feels.

Sugar cane only grows near water. As in less than 5 blocks away from water. Hopefully this helps.
Try "exactly one". It has to be atop a dirt block (later sand blocks, but that wasn't in this version) that's both level with and immediately adjacent to a water source block (ie: it isn't flowing).

Blizzard

Banned
What's the easiest way to make a roof? lol
How high do you want it? If it's short enough to reach, you can just place it from below, since most blocks (wood, stone) will stick next to other blocks in midair. If you want fancier effects, there might be stairs you can make out of wood, but I'm not totally sure what recipes are in the 360 version.

200,000 on easy, 100,000 on medium, 20,000 on hard, and 70,000 on peaceful. I think it selling OK.
I wonder what the breakdown is for Microsoft, whoever did the 360 version's port, and Mojang. Considering Minecraft for PC is already making maybe $1 million USD a week at a very rough estimate, that has to be quite a nice steady income for a small studio. I think Notch mentioned he doesn't consider Minecraft/Mojang "indie" anymore, but I think they're still not a huge studio or anything.

Plasmid

whenever my roommate goes to sleep right before he falls asleep a skeleton spawns in his house. Anyone know why?

bengraven

What's the easiest way to make a roof? lol

I put blocks of dirt across as a makeshift ceiling, then use cobblestone or wood steps. Then after you've finished the roof, just punch or shovel away the dirt.

Remember: if you use the steps method of making a roof, you may want to use an even number of blocks for that house. If you go odd you'll have a spot missing in the middle, but you can also make some cool shit like viking dragon heads if you go that route.

I'm not sure if brick steps are in your update yet, but they also will look awesome when you get them.

Remember also: dirt scaffolding is your friend. lol

whenever my roommate goes to sleep right before he falls asleep a skeleton spawns in his house. Anyone know why?

His bed is touching a wall that's only one block thick and the other side is the outside. Either move it away from the wall or build another room around it.

600px-Bed_Template.png

Will be fixed in further updates.

ckohler

There needs to be at least one space between the bed and the walls. Don't put the bed up against the walls. Also, make sure the room is lit up.

V_Arnold

I gave this a 8/10. Not the mindblowing OMG-experience that the current PC build can offer, but definitely one of the most unique, most FUN and joyful experiences out there - and honestly, playing with a girlfriend or relatives or friends, whatever, with split screen, is SO amazing, that that alone warrants a higher-than-average score in my book.

I am eagerly awaiting to see if the developers expand on the size. Just TWICE the size would be big enough not to feel uncomfortable sometimes.

bengraven

I'm kind of excited for those who are just playing. Getting their first diamonds, exploring their first caves, getting their first taste of the awesome soundtrack.

And you guys have so much cool shit to look forward to that we're all jaded by:

- villages and villagers (don't do anything yet, but look cool and add a sense of world to your isolation - eventually you'll get quests and reputation with them like an infinite RPG)
- better farming (more stuff to farm)
- more biomes (huge jungles with jungle cats and giant trees, prairies, ravines)
- strongholds (big dungeons similar to old school RPGs) and mineshafts (free rails and wood!)
- adventure update (better bows, blocking, crits, potions and enchanting)
- the dragon
- endermen
- new types of wood and half slabs
- ZOMBIES INVASIONS

Man this size thing is bringing me down. Those knockoffs for 240 pts, aren't that small.

It's even smaller on PC and we have tons more stuff than XB version has.

MC has more features than all those other games, as well. It's worth it, trust me, to go with the original and not the knockoffs.

Anyone having problems connecting to Live? I got locked out the second time tonight and can't go back online now. My internet is fine. Same for a friend of mine...

edit: xbox.com also down for me...

bengraven

How do I get enemys to not spawn in my house? Everytime i try to go to sleep i get attacked.

Light it up.

Each torch only lights a certain amount of space. Monsters spawn in dark areas, I believe 20 blocks away from a player. So just space your lights better - at most 12 blocks from each other.

I immediately built a shelter in the ground, put up walls and a roof, lit it up nicely, and then I remove a roof piece to see if it was daytime again and a zombie jumped through the hole and killed me.

Blizzard

Banned
I immediately built a shelter in the ground, put up walls and a roof, lit it up nicely, and then I remove a roof piece to see if it was daytime again and a zombie jumped through the hole and killed me.
I honestly can't remember if torches repel zombies, or just make them not spawn in the area. If you have torches on the outside walls and roof of your house, and your house is too high for monsters to jump on, you should never have monsters on it.

You may run into problems with climbing spiders but those things are simply evil.

randomwab

Just lost a ton of diamond, obsidian and other useful stuff in a huge cave system after dying and running back to save it five times.

Now I remember why I stopped playing Minecraft two years ago. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I tried minecraft awhile ago and really didn't like how the crafting system worked, but trying the trial of this and seeing the tutorial setup they have actually might hook me. Pretty much what I wanted out of the game before, not having to go all over the internet finding out what anything does.

Wait do both players need a gold account to play split screen? My girlfriend was only able to play as a guest even though she has an account (silver) on the same machine.

aku:jiki

Wait do both players need a gold account to play split screen? My girlfriend was only able to play as a guest even though she has an account (silver) on the same machine.
That's something that's so common in XBLA games that I'm starting to think it's a flaw in Microsoft's XBLA SDK (if they even have such a thing). An even more common thing in XBLA games is player 2 not getting to save their progress or earn achievements, though, so your girl probably isn't missing much by playing as a guest.

I haven't loaded up the game yet but I heard when you load a map it asks if you want to play it online or offline. It might have to be set to offline for her to join.

I tried minecraft awhile ago and really didn't like how the crafting system worked, but trying the trial of this and seeing the tutorial setup they have actually might hook me. Pretty much what I wanted out of the game before, not having to go all over the internet finding out what anything does.

Yeah, I look at criticism of that as funny. Giving me the recipes to make items is a bad thing? I have a life, when I do have time to game, I don't want to spend 90 percent of it consulting google.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
After some time, I think I still prefer Terraria. What I wouldn't do to play that game on the VITA or Xbox. Mmm.

Still see myself playing this for a few months though. I'm really excited to see how the updates work, and hope it'll be a preview of Microsoft's future patching and support policy.

Oh man, I just played this for 7 hours straight. Got a little underground lair, 3 dogs, and a castle on the way, with a nice little wheat farm out back. I haven't travelled very far from my spawn, so as of right now, the world's size isn't an issue at all.

This game is bananas.

Ramblin

Banned
After some time, I think I still prefer Terraria. What I wouldn't do to play that game on the VITA or Xbox. Mmm.

Still see myself playing this for a few months though. I'm really excited to see how the updates work, and hope it'll be a preview of Microsoft's future patching and support policy.

Updates and Patching? Don't you mean dlc :)

So if I understand this correctly, the PC game doesn't show you what you need to make certain things right there in the crafting menu? You just have to guess? Or search a wiki?

Orayn

How do you make charcoal? The game helpfully tells me to use fuel but I have no idea where to get that.

Make a furnace, put tree trunk blocks in it with some other fuel. (Wood blocks or more tree trunks.)

If you want to be efficient, wood blocks will "convert" 1.5 blocks of material each, so putting in 2 trunks with 3 wood gets you 2 charcoal. Each charcoal will convert 8 blocks, so get more tree trunks and use your initial charcoal to make more.

Can you make a saddle? It doesn't show up on the recipes.

You have to find it in a treasure chest in a dungeon.

So if I understand this correctly, the PC game doesn't show you what you need to make certain things right there in the crafting menu? You just have to guess? Or search a wiki?

We get a 3x3 grid to place blocks and other items into, but there's no in-game list of craftables. Everything you can make has been officially explained at one point or another, but Wikis are the only places that collect it all.

Top Bottom