• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

bengraven

Oh man, I just played this for 7 hours straight. Got a little underground lair, 3 dogs, and a castle on the way, with a nice little wheat farm out back. I haven't travelled very far from my spawn, so as of right now, the world's size isn't an issue at all.

This game is bananas.

one of us
one of us
one of us

mollipen

You do have an option, it's called play it on PC. It's funny reading your review I didn't actually find it offensive, having never played Minecraft before, almost every single thing you complained about is something my girl would have despised in the original game, so i'm grateful a version for people who don't want to invest 100 hours while browsing wiki entries exist. The only thing I am sad about is the world size thing, but splitscreen is fun.

Here's the mistake that people seem to be making in some of the things I said: I'm not either/or. I think the new crafting interface has its place—but it shouldn't be the only option. Why can't we have both? The example I gave in my review was that items could be locked until you create them for the first time. That could be the option for those who want the fun of discovery, and if you don't, then you could flip a switch and get all of that shown as it is now.

Here's the mistake that people seem to be making in some of the things I said: I'm not either/or. I think the new crafting interface has its place—but it shouldn't be the only option. Why can't we have both? The example I gave in my review was that items could be locked until you create them for the first time. That could be the option for those who want the fun of discovery, and if you don't, then you could flip a switch and get all of that shown as it is now.
What's the difference now though? I mean, you pc guys know the recipes. And I can't imagine anyone new to the game, on a console typically not near a pc, wanting to have to reference online to get recipes. I just don't understand the argument.

No one on a console wants to walk to a pc to get critical info for a console game. They made the right decision. But you criticized them for it. Went as far as calling it stupid, actually.

one of us
one of us
one of us

I am a huge fan of the PC version as well, but the only time I ever get to play it is at a friend's house because my laptop sucks. I've at least put in 25 hours at my friend's house, so I'm not completely new to this game. I've almost always played on Creative servers though, so the Singleplayer is pretty new to me.

By the way, here's a tip for the noobs: Crouch down by clicking in the right thumbstick. Doingg this can allow you to never fall of edges. It's really useful for making roofs and bridges.

Darkgran

First time playing and I just put 4 hours into it and seriously had to pull myself away form it.

I can see myself putting many, many hours into this. So very addicting....

Liberty4all

Banned
Just finished tutorial. My first time playing ever .. Not sure if it's for me but when I finished tutorial and turned off 360 I felt the most relaxed I had in weeks.

Definitely going to be putting in 15 - 20 minutes a day. It really numbed my mind playing and I have a feeling the deeper I get the more time I'll end up putting in.

Again I've heard and read up on minecraft but actually playing it .., such a chill out experience. Except when I peeked out at night there was a spider at my door that scared the shit out of me.

Alfredo

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think it would be a huge hassle to place items in the correct configuration for crafting using the analog stick. The new crafting interface suits the console controls much better...

Maybe they'll add some weird crafting thing with the Kinect support...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It looks like Raptr is giving out some codes tomorrow morning to Raptr users who've played the PC version.

20120510-qgir8kashqrrrgsnca1nmw9ri9.jpg

When you're passing your first night buried in a hole, is there any way to know when its day and safe to come out?
Leave one block uncovered as a hole to the outside world - although be sure to not be too directly in the line-of-sight of it, lest a Skeleton decide to stand next to it and pelt you with arrows.

Oh, and don't put said hole ABOVE you, unless you like having Creepers fall on your head.

If you have enough planks left over and already have a crafting table, make a wooden door. Mobs can't break through them (not until the Final 1.2-equivalent patch), but there's a little window you can look through. Also, if you put the door down such that it's on the edge AWAY from the inside of your house (basically, stand outside your house, face your door's slot, and place the door), you can attack mobs through it, but they can't attack you. (This was fixed in later patches, but I think it still worked in 1.6.6.)

So, I have to say even as someone who has played a fair amount of the PC version. I really dig the Xbox 360 version. Split-screen Minecraft is a thing of beauty.

equil

So me and my friend were trying to play together. If I joined his world, his character would never actually be where he actually was. And building stuff never really registered. And the map wouldnt fully load for me. I could walk off parts of the map and fall forever under the map.

So then he joined my world. Everything was good except he'd get random lag every now an then. And then after about 2.5 hours of progress my xbox freezes up and we lose everything.

So just a heads up, make sure you constantly hard save the game while your building, cause it doesnt save progress automatically.

It has only froze on me once, and that was when I tried exiting without saving after I died. When does it usually freeze on you? Just randomly?
Well once it froze up on me every time I tried to load a save (I tried 3 times before giving up on that save.) Fortunately that was just the tutorial so no real loss there. Last time was when I quit out of the game.

GhaleonEB

So, trying the demo out I went down a hallway that stopped me with the message that I could not go that way until I'd completed the tutorial. And then I was stuck - I couldn't go in any direction. I could look around and turn, and I mined all the blocks I was touching to see if I'd gotten stuck in the geometry. But nope, couldn't move, so I had to quit out.

Is this...common? I'm reading about crashes, and between this and the possibility of those, I'm hesitating to acquire. I might wait it out until the game is patched up.

Gaspode_T

Leave one block uncovered as a hole to the outside world - although be sure to not be too directly in the line-of-sight of it, lest a Skeleton decide to stand next to it and pelt you with arrows.

Oh, and don't put said hole ABOVE you, unless you like having Creepers fall on your head.

If you have enough planks left over and already have a crafting table, make a wooden door. Mobs can't break through them (not until the Final 1.2-equivalent patch), but there's a little window you can look through. Also, if you put the door down such that it's on the edge AWAY from the inside of your house (basically, stand outside your house, face your door's slot, and place the door), you can attack mobs through it, but they can't attack you. (This was fixed in later patches, but I think it still worked in 1.6.6.)

Even though it was basically fully bright outside when I went outside there were literally spiders creepers skeletons etc everywhere, it was insane...playing on Easy too, is that normal??

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even though it was basically fully bright outside when I went outside there were literally spiders creepers skeletons etc everywhere, it was insane...playing on Easy too, is that normal??

I've seen some in the daylight but they catch on fire. At night though? TONS. EVERYWHERE. I'm on easy too, and I've run into hordes of zombies and creepers, it's pretty nuts.

Anyway, I finally got over the inital hump and built my first thing ever in Minecraft. A (terrible) house so I don't keep getting killed.

TvVkb.jpg

I have the bed near the gaping hole in the picture. That wasn't there originally...I slept and a creeper decided to blow half of my in progress house up, so I had to do some remodeling. And I moved the bed away from the wall.

see5harp

Blatant ripoffs and clones on the indie channel were selling like crazy so now that the real thing is out it's not too much of a shock. Game has a ludicrous word of mouth and I'm sure plenty of people who wanted it but didn't game on PC bought it.

I was borderline, but bestbuy had it for $15 and sent a code immediately.

I knew it was going to be big, since the indie games section is flooded with clones. The hunger for a console version of minecraft was there.

Yea just going to the 'gaming' section on you tube and seeing half of the videos about Minecraft sorta gave me a clue that tons of people loved it. I just didn't think that would translate to the hardcore console audience. Great for the devs and Mojang though. I hope this opens up opportunities for more Mojang stuff on XBLA and other consoles in the future.

MarkusRJR

So I go to buy Minecraft with the $23 I have left on my paypal account, not realizing the stupid increments MS sells their points. This is what happened:

-Oh, it costs 1600 points. If I hit confirm it'll just automatically deduct the amount of money I need from my paypal right? Nope.
-Well I'll go to the "add points" section then. Wait, why are the point increments all divisable by 500. Aren't games usually 800, 1200, or 1600 points? Who the fuck decided these increments of points?
-Okay well I'll just get 2000 points and call it a day. Wait. 2000 points is over the money in my paypal account? Fuck. I thought 1 point = 1 cent. This system is just stupid.

It's like Microsoft is denying my money. TAKE MY MONEY MICROSOFT! JUST TAKE IT!

-sigh-

Now I have to take a 20 minute walk (40 minutes both ways) to my local seven eleven in the morning to buy a 1600 points card. LAME. Well there goes my free night.

DarkCloud

So, trying the demo out I went down a hallway that stopped me with the message that I could not go that way until I'd completed the tutorial. And then I was stuck - I couldn't go in any direction. I could look around and turn, and I mined all the blocks I was touching to see if I'd gotten stuck in the geometry. But nope, couldn't move, so I had to quit out.

Is this...common? I'm reading about crashes, and between this and the possibility of those, I'm hesitating to acquire. I might wait it out until the game is patched up.

Been playing off and on while i listen to podcasts for like 5 hours. No crashes here. Did not do the tutorial, haven't died, not using the split screen option atm. Not sure if any of that would matter. Also exit and save when i do save the game.

It's been smooth sailing for me. I skipped the tutorial though, so maybe that's buggy?

So I go to buy Minecraft with the $23 I have left on my paypal account, not realizing the stupid increments MS sells their points. This is what happened:

-Oh, it costs 1600 points. If I hit confirm it'll just automatically deduct the amount of money I need from my paypal right? Nope.
-Well I'll go to the "add points" section then. Wait, why are the point increments all divisable by 500. Aren't games usually 800, 1200, or 1600 points? Who the fuck decided these increments of points?
-Okay well I'll just get 2000 points and call it a day. Wait. 2000 points is over the money in my paypal account? Fuck. I thought 1 point = 1 cent. This system is just stupid.

-sigh-

Now I have to take a 20 minute walk (40 minutes both ways) to my local seven eleven in the morning to buy a 1600 points card. LAME. Well there goes my free night.

Buy a 1600 point code off amazon for 19 dollars. Problem solved.

DarkCloud

Also to people new to this game a word of advice. PUNCH and then kill sheep. The next patch will add shears to the game making wool a pain to get until the wool regrow update which will be much later. Shears require iron to make and break over time. So if you plan to do any fancy carpets or colored sections in houses right now is the easiest time to get said wool.

Also in a later update animals will become limited due to the hunger patch requiring breeding and cultivating for food. This is also a good time to stock up on ham as the pigs will respawn giving you more time to setup a farm at a later date without needing to worry about starving.

Crap, what have I done. Three hours went by like nothing and all I have to show for it is this giant empty room deep underneath a mountain. I'm living in a little cave with a stairway down to the big room. Think I'm going to start building stairs up, try to come out on the top of the mountain and build my fortress up there. That will only take me like 18 hours. But need to get some food first. Maybe start a little farm with a fence outside my cave...

I get Minecraft now. It's glorious.

I never brought the pc version but I played some hours with an old build in early 2011. At time i found MC a strange game, fascinating but nothing So funny.

Two days ago, excited for this new version of the game, i downloaded the 1.2 and wow, an amazing experience. I want to show Minecraft to my girlfriend so I brought the 360 ver, this because on the living room everything is less intimidating. Yah, the game still better than the game i tried last year, but for my girlfriend this MC totally bow her mind :))

She played for 5 straight hours yesterday. the new Ui is a blast because everyone still consulting wiki on pc, but for a noob like her this still not so easy to undestand "how to". So the discovery feeling is completely intact.

I personally hope they put some effort and offer the 1.8 instead of 1.7 in the next update...

The new music is good but is always playing, uff... this game need a music track for every chunk of a day, similir to animal crossing

For me (on both version) and my lady (on 360), Minecraft really start NOW! :)

How fucking relaxing is this game? It's like a virtual SPA with monsters instead of gay peoples! Hey, it's a joke like many I heard on tv shows, I don't want to became a new taget for Gay Mafia...

SickBoy

I'm glad I tried this. I'm sure with a little free time on my hands it would be really cool. So I'll keep the demo around.... but for now it's a pass.

I believe US codes will work in Canada. Have a friend in the US that can buy the code for you?

US subscription codes work for Canadians, but not points codes. Go figure.

But what Yaceka needs to realize is that Canadian points card denominations are 1400 and 2800. No 1600s. Doh :)

Points cards don't work in different regions because the value of points is different. They can have one points price for everywhere in the world and advertise it as such because each different place in the world spends their unique amount of currency on those points.

-sigh-

Here in Australia even the prepaid points cards are in 1500 point increments. Super annoying.

jlevel13

Thanks, I think I'm slowly starting to get it. Closing that door behing me for the first time as night arrived felt great.

I'm having fun with this so far. The only problem I've had is lag in multiplayer. I'm only playing it with one other person, and we sometimes have tons of lag. Like 20 second delay lag. Other than that it's been fun.

Although another criticism is that I wish you got a map on every spawn. Dying and losing your maps is lame, especially because you can't find other players without it.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I'm having fun with this so far. The only problem I've had is lag in multiplayer. I'm only playing it with one other person, and we sometimes have tons of lag. Like 20 second delay lag. Other than that it's been fun.

Although another criticism is that I wish you got a map on every spawn. Dying and losing your maps is lame, especially because you can't find other players without it.

Can't yours spawn a guest account via split screen, and take their map?

Neverfade

Couple questions:

The big minecraft sign goes away in full game?

Is there an easy way to get rid of tree shrubbage? The leaves floating in mid air look goofy and it's a pain in the ass to build a block stepstool every time I want to clear those out.

Is there a way to go into some sort of editor mode where you're "disconnected" from your character to build things that are high up? Looking at the castle in the demo got me imagining how painstaking it must be to craft something of that magnitude.

feel

Wasn't gonna buy because of the small world (already have the more advanced pc version too) but then some friends on a xbl party pressured me into buying it to join them and have been playing for a few hours now. Damn, minecraft is such an amazing experience with friends.. <3

JaxJag

Banned
Couple questions:

Is there an easy way to get rid of tree shrubbage? The leaves floating in mid air look goofy and it's a pain in the ass to build a block stepstool every time I want to clear those out.

Is there a way to go into some sort of editor mode where you're "disconnected" from your character to build things that are high up? Looking at the castle in the demo got me imagining how painstaking it must be to craft something of that magnitude.

I burn them.

fernoca

-sigh-

Weird, maybe it's that way in Canada(?)

jcmlX.png

Mako_Drug

Having some weird issues with sleeping, no matter where I put my bed a monster will spawn when I sleep with the exception of 1 random time. I got frustrated I moved my bed onto a second floor, well away from any dirt blocks and several block 'spaces' from the walls of the house and placed candles all around the bed - Now every time I sleep a monster spawns on the roof!!! If I go up and kill it then sleep again another spawns! What the hell!

la_briola

Having some weird issues with sleeping, no matter where I put my bed a monster will spawn when I sleep with the exception of 1 random time. I got frustrated I moved my bed onto a second floor, well away from any dirt blocks and several block 'spaces' from the walls of the house and placed candles all around the bed - Now every time I sleep a monster spawns on the roof!!! If I go up and kill it then sleep again another spawns! What the hell!
Are your rooms well lit? If not monsters spawn in "buildings".

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

-sigh-

This post brought to you by the year 2005.

Couple questions:

You're thinking of creative mode and it isn't in this yet.

It's not too bad making temporary stairs with dirt blocks for now.

Top Bottom