• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Gaspode_T

I was playing with my headphones on last night and that was a bad idea - even inside my makeshift house I could hear nothing but baddies mouth breathing right inside my ear, then when I decide to go outside I nearly have a heart attack when there is a nearly deafening explosion as a creeper decide to explode right next to me. Then right after I am dazed and confused from that some skeleton starts shooting me with arrows but from across a little river (even though it's daylight) - I jump in the water to go whack him with my sword but he proceeds to kill me while I'm in the water and my stuff goes flying everywhere inside water and on sides of little stream.

I played maybe 15 or 20 hours of Minecraft when it originally came out and still in that beta phase, it definitely does not run nearly this smooth on my laptops...being 60fps is a huge deal for a "chill out" game like this.

Does anyone really figure out all of the crafting things by themselves? I would bet you 99.99% of people playing look up a Wiki site even to figure out how to build the first simple items, and they probably researched that before they decided to make the crafting aspect simple. It's welcome for me, I am not playing this game to sit there dragging around inventory items with left thumbstick.

Make a furnace, put tree trunk blocks in it with some other fuel. (Wood blocks or more tree trunks.)

You have to find it in a treasure chest in a dungeon.

We get a 3x3 grid to place blocks and other items into, but there's no in-game list of craftables. Everything you can make has been officially explained at one point or another, but Wikis are the only places that collect it all.
Thanks

Orayn

No problem, it's fun helping people with Minecraft. Make sure you see my edit, which explains things in a little more detail.

Does anyone really figure out all of the crafting things by themselves? I would bet you 99.99% of people playing look up a Wiki site even to figure out how to build the first simple items, and they probably researched that before they decided to make the crafting aspect simple. It's welcome for me, I am not playing this game to sit there dragging around inventory items with left thumbstick.

For me, it was about 80/20 between using a Wiki and just messing around.

We get a 3x3 grid to place blocks and other items into, but there's no in-game list of craftables. Everything you can make has been officially explained at one point or another, but Wikis are the only places that collect it all.

Wow. I can see why people liked that. Not for me though.

And I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the new system. I wouldn't want to have to play with a PC at my side.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

And I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the new system. I wouldn't want to have to play with a PC at my side.

Reminds me of playing Viva Piñata with Piñata Island always open. :)

I don't think I want to go through that again. I like knowing what I need to mine to make the items I want.

I bought this mostly because it was for my brother and nephew to play on my bro's xbox, but I used my gamertag so I have a copy in my room too.

It's not bad for the small time I have played this and the pc version only last week, crafting on the 360 seems too easy but it was fun, need to sit down and dedicate some time to it.

Vlad

How do you make charcoal? The game helpfully tells me to use fuel but I have no idea where to get that.

Charcoal is gotten by smelting logs in the furnace.
Coal is gotten by mining it. Look for gray blocks with black dots on them.

Charcoal and Coal both function the same, but you can't combine them in a single stack in your inventory.

Also keep in mind that you can use other things for fuel. Pretty much anything wooden can be used (it's a lot less efficient than coal/charcoal, though), as well as a bucket of lava.

Gaspode_T

I also got stuck on charcoal last night because I wanted to build torches and I was like "How the heck do I turn coal into charcoal" - I didn't realize that you could just press down to do coal torches instead until later. I am digging down beneath my house looking for coal but didn't find any at a pretty deep level so I ended up having to go exploring for it. Gotta have torches...

mollipen

But we could've had both very easily, and everybody would have been happy. I certainly see the positives of the new interface for those who just want to build stuff, so I wouldn't want it taken away. Just give us options! Options are always good! *shakes fist*

I have chests overflowing with coal. Well, not really, but I have a lot. It's honestly not hard to find. Just find a cavern and you should see loads of it as you explore.

goldenpp72

But we could've had both very easily, and everybody would have been happy. I certainly see the positives of the new interface for those who just want to build stuff, so I wouldn't want it taken away. Just give us options! Options are always good! *shakes fist*

You do have an option, it's called play it on PC. It's funny reading your review I didn't actually find it offensive, having never played Minecraft before, almost every single thing you complained about is something my girl would have despised in the original game, so i'm grateful a version for people who don't want to invest 100 hours while browsing wiki entries exist. The only thing I am sad about is the world size thing, but splitscreen is fun.

Ramblin

Banned
So I bought it. Despite my concerns about the size of the world. The fact that it generates a random area (without the word minecraft floating above) is good enough for me.

Ah, my desire for this has grown to be honest.

I have the PC version, but I want the comfy controller situation where I can just lie back and mess around - don't find it comfortable on my laptop with a mouse.

Cannot justify purchasing it at the moment though; hopefully I'll find a few competitions somewhere, but likely down the line I'll get

So I made a save in the tutorial level, now I'm trying to load it and it's crashed my Xbox (frozen screen) 3 times in a row. Anyone else get this? Man I really don't want to have to restart the tutorial from the beginning.

Gaspode_T

So I made a save in the tutorial level, now I'm trying to load it and it's crashed my Xbox (frozen screen) 3 times in a row. Anyone else get this? Man I really don't want to have to restart the tutorial from the beginning.

You honestly don't really need to play the tutorial level, you get little tutorial bubbles popping up when you start a real world too...

Wow I totally forgot this was coming out. I had tried to buy Minecraft for my MacBook Pro (only computer I have) but it wouldn't accept my credit card for some reason an I gave up and forgot about it.

This seems like the perfect "zone out and listen to a podcast while you build some shit" experience, and as long as there are no major setbacks with the controller or any changes to the console version I'm going to DL this tonight. If I don't see myself getting too intense with this and getting into mods and stuff, is this version fine? Am I missing anything vital from the PC version? I know the world is smaller, and that's probably OK for me. I'll probably also just play solo most of the time. Any other differences might be outweighed by the ability to sit on the couch and play with a controller versus on my MacBook.

Gaspode_T

Yeah that's basically why I'm excited too, sometimes I don't feel like playing games I just want to sit back and veg out after work...listening to some music and playing this will probably become my "Go to" for shutting off brain completely (other than watching Netflix)

I played this for about 3 hours with my girlfriend last night. I think it works really really well on the 360. She's never played minecraft but has watched me play before and picked or up pretty quick. The simplified crafting system is great for playing on 360.

branny

I apologize if I missed this, but is the tutorial world indicative of the size of the smaller maps in this version? It seems rather tiny. :(

Good lord, there's over 340,000 people on the easy leaderboard already - this has got to be the biggest first day sales for an XBLA game, insane!

Downloaded the demo with every thought to buy it. Even have a 1600 point card unused waiting but the demo turned me off. I was bored the entire time. Oh well. Can't catch them all.

matt05891

Downloaded the demo with every thought to buy it. Even have a 1600 point card unused waiting but the demo turned me off. I was bored the entire time. Oh well. Can't catch them all.

If you played the PC one, after you buy it you can set the difficulty and randomly generate a world outside the tutorial. It's just like playing PC one imo except you get to sit on a couch and relax. I'm happy I bit at least even though I was highly skeptical after playing the demo.

If you played the PC one, after you buy it you can set the difficulty and randomly generate a world outside the tutorial. It's just like playing PC one imo except you get to sit on a couch and relax. I'm happy I bit at least even though I was highly skeptical after playing the demo.

Never touched the PC version. Never even seen gameplay before today, just screen shots.

Fox Mulder

I played for a few hours and started building a castle and digging for stuff, but I may start over in peaceful mode. I don't really see any reason for the zombies and shit other than to just annoy you.

Zee-Row

Banned
Off topic but is Terraria gonna get a console release? I like playing it on Steam but I just love sitting back and playing things with a controller.

see5harp

Color me surprised. I really didn't think a port of an older game could sell like this, especially to the audience on 360 at a $20 price point. I didn't think Minecraft was a big deal when it was exclusively on Sony phones but I guess I was wrong.

I played for a few hours and started building a castle and digging for stuff, but I may start over in peaceful mode. I don't really see any reason for the zombies and shit other than to just annoy you.

I think you can just switch your current world to peaceful without starting over.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Color me surprised. I really didn't think a port of an older game could sell like this, especially to the audience on 360 at a $20 price point. I didn't think Minecraft was a big deal when it was exclusively on Sony phones but I guess I was wrong.

Blatant ripoffs and clones on the indie channel were selling like crazy so now that the real thing is out it's not too much of a shock. Game has a ludicrous word of mouth and I'm sure plenty of people who wanted it but didn't game on PC bought it.

Fox Mulder

I was borderline, but bestbuy had it for $15 and sent a code immediately.

I knew it was going to be big, since the indie games section is flooded with clones. The hunger for a console version of minecraft was there.

I was borderline, but bestbuy had it for $15 and sent a code immediately.

I knew it was going to be big, since the indie games section is flooded with clones. The hunger for a console version of minecraft was there.

Damn was that a pre-order special or something? I don't see that on their website

Does this game have boss type characters? And special loot you can find?

Within two updates (so not the next one, but the one after) there will be a final boss fight. Along with enchanting items, armor, potions, hunger meter, new locations, biomes, mobs.

It's already on the PC since 1.8 (console being 1.6.6).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Off topic but is Terraria gonna get a console release? I like playing it on Steam but I just love sitting back and playing things with a controller.
Pretty sure the game is done for, and the guys who made it are just moving on instead of trying to expand on it in any way.

Such a shame.

VandalD

Does this game have boss type characters? And special loot you can find?
No bosses, not until/if it gets updated to the equivalent PC version that has the Ender Dragon. No special loot, unless you count things like pumpkin seeds in chests (if that's in this version.) Terraria focuses more on that kind of thing - but I see you've already played it.
Very doubtful. The developer seems to be done with Terraria completely. The coder stopped working on it to focus on family, and the artist went over to a game called Starbound.

AEREC

For some reason buying the 360 version has re-sparked my interest in the PC version and I ended up playing the PC version all night tonight. Before tonight I havent put more than 10 minutes into the PC version...and now Im hooked.

I guess Im holding out on the 360 version until it catches up with the PC version.

Made some quick math. Game sold 250 copies in 1 minute, twice I checked. There's 375 minutes until the first day is complete. So at this rate it will sell another 93k until the first day is over.

Which will make it around 450k units day one.

Made some quick math. Game sold 250 copies in 1 minute, twice I checked. There's 375 minutes until the first day is complete. So at this rate it will sell another 93k until the first day is over.

Which will make it around 450k units day one.

Every ranking on the leaderboards isn't a sale though.

Every ranking on the leaderboards isn't a sale though.

I said that earlier and people on this same thread told only gamertags which paid for the game get on the leaderboard (which I confirm). It does not translate 100% accurately, but it must be like what, 99% accurate?

I think I'll prefer it when it's updated to include Creative Mode. The Survival aspect is good in co-op but just building is frustrating with having to go back and forth for resources: ya, I'm lazy. Unlimited resources would be great.

I said that earlier and people on this same thread told only gamertags which paid for the game get on the leaderboard (which I confirm). It does not translate 100% accurately, but it must be like what, 99% accurate?

Not sure about the percentage, but I imagine its high. I just know that I'm on the leaderboard, and so are the gamertags for my wife and daughter. And I'm the only one that bought the game. I doubt there's any chance it doesn't outsell everything else on XBLA.

Top Bottom