• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

cbox

I hope they release the control scheme on future pc version of MC, would love to pc it up fro my couch. (unless someone has already done this and I'm just a moron)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My BB order displayed the code immediately on the page after it went through. Not sure why others are having issues.

Blizzard

Banned
You lose everything, but it sits in a pile where you died. If you go back it should all be waiting there for you.
IF you get back there quickly enough (assuming it's a PC).

But yes, you need to eventually start building chests to store stuff in a stone safe house, something like that. And when you go exploring, you don't want to take -all- your valuables, just a reasonable collection. :)

You lose everything, but it sits in a pile where you died. If you go back it should all be waiting there for you.

My problem right now is not knowing where I was. Is it like Dark Souls where if I die again the old pile disappears? Or will I now have two piles?

Marda

Neo Member
Yeah... my BB code came about 10 minutes after I ordered, check your spam folder as I got both my confirmation and code in there.

AEREC

I went ahead and bought it through BB...I wasnt originally going to get it for 360 since I have the PC version...but I went ahead and took the plunge since it will be more comfortable to play at my couch and it runs at a better framerate on the 360 than on my PC.

Even though I own the PC version since the beta Ive really only played it for around an hour so. In what ways is the 360 version gimped?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I own the PC version since the beta Ive really only played it for around an hour so. In what ways is the 360 version gimped?

Smaller world (still more than large enough for 99% of people) previous version to PC (still tons of content) and...I think that's about it. I really enjoy the 360 ver and I own PC as well.

AEREC

Smaller world (still more than large enough for 99% of people) previous version to PC (still tons of content) and...I think that's about it. I really enjoy the 360 ver and I own PC as well.

Cool...is there any other game that the largest world size on the 360 version can be compared to (ie. Just Cause 2, Oblivion, GTA4, etc...).

Also do they plan on bringing the 360 version up to par with the PC version?

Is there a screenshot function? If not, that's a huge oversight.

There should be a way for me to show what I built to people without having to host a game for them to join.

Woorloog

Banned
Bought this even though it has only a small world. Splitscreen makes the game fun enough.
GT Empyrus in case someone wants to play, timezone is UTC+2 (+3 due to DST).

Du2andal

Banned
I have silver and every time I try the facebook share option I "Lose Connection to Host" which boots me from my own singleplayer offline game. Those auto-saves in the corner count for nothing and you go back to your last physical save. I lost like hours because i wanted to take a picture of the cow invasion taking place in my house.

Vlad

My problem right now is not knowing where I was. Is it like Dark Souls where if I die again the old pile disappears? Or will I now have two piles?

I've only played the PC version, so apologies if any of this ends up being wrong:

When you die, everything you had on you pops out and acts like any other item dropped in the world (like the little blocks that fall when you mine something). The items you dropped will despawn after a few minutes, so make sure to rush back to where you died, as you don't have long to get there before everything's gone forever.

Also, any items that fell into lava or touched a cactus will also be destroyed instantly.

Zee-Row

Banned
I ordered through Best Buy at around 11 and I still don't have a code , I checked my spam mail too and its not there. When I go to bestbuy.com it asks me to enable cookies to log in even though I have cookies enabled.

My review of the game.

I will probably get a lot of hate for it. *laughs*

I wonder if your revew is "fair". It seems to me that it would be a more accurate review to base it on the XBLA game's merits alone, rather than a jaded comparison to the PC game which makes up the bulk of your review.

It's the Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition for a reason. It didn't come out of the gate as a straight up port. At least, nothing I've seen has marketed it as such.

Your review said:
If Minecraft on the PC is the video game equivelent of LEGO, then Minecraft on XBLA is Duplo. It’s a perfect introduction to the game and its experience—but it won’t take long for you to outgrow it and want the real thing.

This is exactly what I mean.

As a 2-year veteran, I think the presentation is great. My mini-review of pros and cons:

+60 FPS
+UI is sweet & should be brought to the PC with controller support
+Music is more frequent; it seems to play nonstop
+V1.6.6 gives it an old-school feeling without hunger, XP, or scarcity of arrows
+Lots of handholding at the beginning
+Nostalgic feeling of beginning for the 1st time. My first world has various biomes close together - compensation for world size?

-Really small FOV. I have my doubts it is to improve framerate.
-Torch light is smaller; I have to put torches in caves 5 meters apart.
-Creepers are more aggressive & harder to kill with a sword
-Somethings wrong with the controls or sensitivity; I grip the right wing harder than normal and it fatigues my hand and thumb.
-D-pad should have extra controls like a turnaround button for creeper evasion

I ordered through Best Buy at around 11 and I still don't have a code , I checked my spam mail too and its not there. When I go to bestbuy.com it asks me to enable cookies to log in even though I have cookies enabled.

I ordered around 9:30 am PST and its still "In Process" of being completed. Mildly annoying.

Z_Y

Kinda hard to take a review seriously from someone that doesn't know the difference between tenants and tenets.

Kinda hard to take a reviewer seriously who posts his review in the OT and says "I will probably get a lot of hate for it. *laughs*"

mollipen

Kinda hard to take a review seriously from someone that doesn't know the difference between tenants and tenets.

Okay, so I suffered a slip up of auto-correct. If you're going to write off everything I said because of that, so be it.

I wonder if your revew is "fair". It seems to me that it would be a more accurate review to base it on the XBLA game's merits alone, rather than a jaded comparison to the PC game which makes up the bulk of your review.

It's the Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition for a reason. It didn't come out of the game as a straight up port. At least, nothing I've seen has marketed it as such.

Straight from Microsoft's press site:

Coming to Xbox 360! The infinite possibilities in “Minecraft” just got bigger. Coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade in Spring 2012, “Minecraft – Xbox 360 Edition” will bring the global phenomenon to console gamers for the first time. The Xbox LIVE Arcade version of the game features an innovative new crafting interface, natural controller movements, a full Tutorial mode to teach the basics and for the first time in “Minecraft,” split-screen multiplayer as well as over Xbox LIVE.

To me, that sure sounds like they're marketing it as the PC version brought to the Xbox 360. I would also find it funny to say that you can't compare the two versions. That's like saying you've got Street Fighter IV as an arcade game, and then you announce it for consoles, and suddenly we only get half of the character roster—but that's okay, because it's a special version of the game for consoles. Of course people were expecting the PC version, as they should.

And even beyond that, if you take the game simply on what it is as an Xbox 360 version of Minecraft, the worlds are still ridiculously small, and the new crafting interface is stupid. Neither of those change if you take the PC version out of the picture. If the XBLA version was the only version to exist, it still would be horribly crippled by aspects such as those. To me, this feels no better than a "throw them a bone" mobile version of Minecraft, and that's utterly disappointing.

You will probably get a lot of clicks for it. *laughs*

If you look through my history of reviews, on EGM or otherwise, I've never trolled for hits by means of scandalous reviews. That isn't my style.

ckohler

Started mining and building, but I don't have the ingredients to make torches. How can I get flint and steel or coal?

You'll be able to make torches before flint and steel. Just look for coal in rock. It's very abundant, you just have to mine. Be sure you're using a pickaxe when you mine or you won't get any. Coal looks like stone except there are black splotches. Once you have some coal and sticks, you can make torches.

And even beyond that, if you take the game simply on what it is as an Xbox 360 version of Minecraft, the worlds are still ridiculously small, and the new crafting interface is stupid. Neither of those change if you take the PC version out of the picture.

Setting aside the marketing issue, which I think you could argue both ways, I think saying the crafting system is "stupid" makes the arguement for the people criticizing your review.

You may not like the change because you liked the PC crafting system. You may feel it takes away from some aspect you like in the PC game. But how does that make it "stupid"? And I don't mean that in some abstract way, I mean literally, how do the changes make it "stupid"?

You'll be able to make torches before flint and steel. Just look for coal in rock. It's very abundant, you just have to dig a little. Once you have some coal and sticks, you can make torches.

Thanks. Couldn't find any coal from the rocks (yet), but I'll keep digging.

Speaking of stupid - I dug and dug and dug and dug a hole and then my tools broke and now I'm stuck at the bottom of the hole. I quit and started over and one of the help tips was advising me not to do exactly what I did. I'm dumb.

Thanks. Couldn't find any coal from the rocks (yet), but I'll keep digging.

In the tutorial it shows you how to create it from regular stone.

bengraven

tumblr_lswzgaJBCN1qafrh6.gif

mollipen

Setting aside the marketing issue, which I think you could argue both ways, I think saying the crafting system is "stupid" makes the arguement for the people criticizing your review.

You may not like the change because you liked the PC crafting system. You may feel it takes away from some aspect you like in the PC game. But how does that make it "stupid"? And I don't mean that in some abstract way, I mean literally, how do the changes make it "stupid"?

Well, I explained that in my review. One of the very first concepts that you're introduced to in Minecraft is that you have to survive, but you don't know how to do that. And then you learn that you can build, but you don't really know how to do that either. You find those things out from one of two ways—trial and error, or cheating. Cheating we can't control, and that's a choice that players may make. But that trial and error is a big part of the player's introduction to Minecraft, and where I think a lot of that initial connect to the game is made. Forget mine carts or beds or glass or whatever else—your first discoveries are things like a stick, or a sword, or a torch, and each discovery you make is exciting. What else could be in this game? You wonder that, so as you find more materials, you start trying different combinations. Suddenly, you make come across a pattern for an item you didn't even know was in the game—and that discovery is thrilling!

That entire aspect of Minecraft is gone because of the new crafting UI. Right from the moment you boot the game, all of those discoveries are just handed to you on a platter. Discovering those initial creations like a stick or a sword or a torch are meaningless, because you're too busy looking at diamond pickaxes or repeaters.

As I said in my review, they could have kept the exact same interface, but had items be hidden until unlocked by making them the first time. Or, they could have given players an option like, "Do you want to be spoiled by knowing everything that's in the game, or do you want to still discover that stuff on your own?" Something, anything to help keep that aspect of discovery alive.

Top Bottom