• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Having some weird issues with sleeping, no matter where I put my bed a monster will spawn when I sleep with the exception of 1 random time. I got frustrated I moved my bed onto a second floor, well away from any dirt blocks and several block 'spaces' from the walls of the house and placed candles all around the bed - Now every time I sleep a monster spawns on the roof!!! If I go up and kill it then sleep again another spawns! What the hell!

Your roof is too dark, maybe?

Woorloog

Banned
Having some weird issues with sleeping, no matter where I put my bed a monster will spawn when I sleep with the exception of 1 random time. I got frustrated I moved my bed onto a second floor, well away from any dirt blocks and several block 'spaces' from the walls of the house and placed candles all around the bed - Now every time I sleep a monster spawns on the roof!!! If I go up and kill it then sleep again another spawns! What the hell!

Bed must not touch any wall. If that doesn't work, then the bed is simply bugged in this Xbox version for now.
EDIT this is a guess. IIRC, there was a time when beds bugged if they touched a wall and monsters would spawn inside buildings while sleeping even if they were lit.

equil

Beds have to be 2 blocks from the outside of the house, otherwise they'll spawn inside while your sleeping. I had the same problem and i googled it and find that answer.

Mako_Drug

Both the upstairs and downstairs are very well lit, the bed isn't nor was it ever touching any wall as I was already aware of that issue. Going to try and cover the roof in candles even though I doubt that will work.

Woorloog

Banned
Both the upstairs and downstairs are very well lit, the bed isn't nor was it ever touching any wall as I was already aware of that issue. Going to try and cover the roof in candles even though I doubt that will work.

Sounds like a bug in the Xbox version, i really doubt torches on roof will solve that one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there an easy way to get rid of tree shrubbage? The leaves floating in mid air look goofy and it's a pain in the ass to build a block stepstool every time I want to clear those out.

If you get rid of all the wood blocks, the leaves should disappear on their own.

Vlad

Even though it was basically fully bright outside when I went outside there were literally spiders creepers skeletons etc everywhere, it was insane...playing on Easy too, is that normal??

Keep in mind that spiders and creepers don't die in sunlight. Spiders will turn passive, and they'll attack you if you hit them first, but creepers are just as aggressive as always, even during the day. No more will spawn, but the ones that spawned at night will still be hanging around.

Also keep in mind that skeletons and zombies don't automatically burn up in the daytime, they burn in daylight. So, if there's a skeleton under a tree and the sun rises, the skeleton will be just fine unless it wanders out from the shade.

Consider yourself lucky, they got an AI boost in one of the recent PC versions and now they'll actively seek out shade during the day, so you end up with a lot more skeletons camping out under trees now.

DSmalls84

I downloaded this when I got off work yesterday at 6 and ended up playing with 3 of my friends until about midnight. Awesome game! Anyone have any tips for for finding Iron ore and other precious metals faster? Seems like I have to dig super deep and eventually I will hit a deposit of like 5 or 6 iron ore.

I won this from PlayXBLA yesterday, I'm too scared to start it because I'm in the middle of uni deadlines. I want to play :(

(If you haven't got it yet, I'd recommend keeping your eye on PlayXBLA, they'll give another fifty or so away over the next two days.)

HildyB

I downloaded this when I got off work yesterday at 6 and ended up playing with 3 of my friends until about midnight. Awesome game! Anyone have any tips for for finding Iron ore and other precious metals faster? Seems like I have to dig super deep and eventually I will hit a deposit of like 5 or 6 iron ore.

Nope, thats about it. Sometimes you get lucky. Deeper and finding caves will result in more ore in my experience. I'll wander the surface looking for a cave, tends to have a half dozen nodes or so.

chris121580

I know people mentioned some issues with freezing but is anyone else having problems with freezing when pulling up their inventory? The tutorial window pops up when I pull up my inventory and I press B to ignore it and then it completely freezes

Ramblin

Banned
So, trying the demo out I went down a hallway that stopped me with the message that I could not go that way until I'd completed the tutorial. And then I was stuck - I couldn't go in any direction. I could look around and turn, and I mined all the blocks I was touching to see if I'd gotten stuck in the geometry. But nope, couldn't move, so I had to quit out.

Is this...common? I'm reading about crashes, and between this and the possibility of those, I'm hesitating to acquire. I might wait it out until the game is patched up.

I got stuck in the same spot. I pushed a bunch of random buttons and I was free. I haven't had any freezing issues.

DSmalls84

So I decided to build my tower on the highest peak that I could find...awesome until you fall and lose your gear. That and traveling to it isnt easy. Gonna have to carve some stairs leading up to it I suppose.

I just used to build a large 20x 20 square out of whatever materials you have lying around. Fill the top in with glass so it lights itself during the day, and dig straight down leaving blocks around the edge as your way back up. You'll get tons of cobble this way but you'll hit quite a few deposits along the way. Once you get to the bottom your can start mining out from there.

This is just a process I came up with while I was playing it's probably incredibly inadequate compared to what other people do.

la_briola

notch twitter:
16:13 < notch> Well then. Saw the official sales numbers for the first 24 hours of Minecraft Xbox 360, and it's very, very
good. Profitable in an hour.
16:13 < notch> Microsoft is preparing one of those super interesting press release thingies, and I will give them the honor of
giving the exact details.

Crazy.

ckohler

Couple questions:
The big minecraft sign goes away in full game?
If you generate your own world, it will have no prebuilt structures. Just land. Also, a few people don't seem to understand this but the tutorial world is just a pre-made world you can load that includes a tutorial. You can create AS MANY new worlds as you want and each time you create one, it will be completely random and different. Someone yesterday thought that if they made a new world it would just look like the tutorial world but that's not true. You get a random world every time (unless you enter a seed key).
Is there an easy way to get rid of tree shrubbage? The leaves floating in mid air look goofy and it's a pain in the ass to build a block stepstool every time I want to clear those out.
Leaves decay and disappear on their own slowly over time as long as there isn't a tree trunk within a certain number of blocks. Just make sure you remove all the tree trunks from a tree and the leaves will take care of themselves. They'll even drop saplings so you can plant new trees.
Is there a way to go into some sort of editor mode where you're "disconnected" from your character to build things that are high up? Looking at the castle in the demo got me imagining how painstaking it must be to craft something of that magnitude.
Nope. You can't fly. Part of the challenge of Minecraft is learning how to build crazy structures like that. Just build temporary scaffolding. Later versions of the game added a "Creative mode" that lets you fly and have infinite resources but I honestly find that half the fun is creating a cool structure the hard way.

EagleEyes

If the leaderboards are correct, this is gonna absolutely destroy any previous XBLA game ever. It is crazy that just last month Trials Evolution set the first day sales record and this just blew it away. :)

If the leaderboards are correct, this is gonna absolutely destroy any previous XBLA game ever. It is crazy that just last month Trials Evolution set the first day sales record and this just blew it away. :)

It was always going to, Xbox owners have been proving there's a massive market for this for something like a year now. It was just a matter of releasing it.

ckohler

Try putting light on your roof. They are probably spawning on the dark flat of your roof. The basic rules for monster spawning are as follows:
  • No monster can spawn at places with light level 8 or greater
  • No monster can spawn within 24 blocks of a player
  • No monster can spawn atop a block with transparency (glass, half-blocks)

I think the mobs appearing on your roof are either wandering there somehow or possibily spawning there when you sleep (not sure if this is supposed to happen or not). If the latter, then just try adding light. The way light is calculated is as follows. A torch, for exampe, has a light level of 14 at the tip. Every line-of-sight block away from that is one light level less. Thus, a monster could spawn in a cave eight blocks away from a torch as long as no player is also within 24 blocks. Make sense? It's kind of complicated. Also, sunlight is a factor on light level. When in doubt, just remember: light up your surroundings!

DSmalls84

I just used to build a large 20x 20 square out of whatever materials you have lying around. Fill the top in with glass so it lights itself during the day, and dig straight down leaving blocks around the edge as your way back up. You'll get tons of cobble this way but you'll hit quite a few deposits along the way. Once you get to the bottom your can start mining out from there.

This is just a process I came up with while I was playing it's probably incredibly inadequate compared to what other people do.

I usually just dig in a square or rectangle pattern and spiral stairs around it as I go down.

"No, YOU open the door"

Same thing happened to me when I woke up in the game. Just a Creeper chillin near the door. No biggie.

I quickly opened the door and started smacking it with my sword so each time I hit it, it would stagger back away from my house. Luckily I got it far enough from my house when it exploded. And it didn't damage my house. :)

Yeah but did you think it would sell this much in just 24 hours?

Absolutely. The only thing that was going to stop it was the price, but it's in line with the price on PC so clearly people just don't care. It's the *very* first thing I see when I put my Xbox on, an advert front and centre for it. It'd be nice if they did that for all XBLA games.

PopfulMail

Won a copy the other day and this is my first experience with Minecraft. After 3+ hours of working on a house last night... I think I'm hooked. I have my difficulty set to peaceful at the moment... but was wondering if it's possible to change the difficulty mid game or will I have to start a new world?

Won a copy the other day and this is my first experience with Minecraft. After 3+ hours of working on a house last night... I think I'm hooked. I have my difficulty set to peaceful at the moment... but was wondering if it's possible to change the difficulty mid game or will I have to start a new world?

Pretty sure you can change it mid-game. It should be under Settings, I believe.

EDIT: Nevermind! I don't know where the option is, if there is one.

bums! I spent a good hour starting an awesome huge mansion on a super high peak, died by falling and now can't find it because I dropped my map on death :/

I think i'll have much more fun in this game over co-op then solo.

Gaspode_T

Keep in mind that spiders and creepers don't die in sunlight. Spiders will turn passive, and they'll attack you if you hit them first, but creepers are just as aggressive as always, even during the day. No more will spawn, but the ones that spawned at night will still be hanging around.

Also keep in mind that skeletons and zombies don't automatically burn up in the daytime, they burn in daylight. So, if there's a skeleton under a tree and the sun rises, the skeleton will be just fine unless it wanders out from the shade.

Consider yourself lucky, they got an AI boost in one of the recent PC versions and now they'll actively seek out shade during the day, so you end up with a lot more skeletons camping out under trees now.

Thanks, skeleton owning me while I was in the water still bothers me so I will have my revenge

I could have sworn I heard loud monster noises while digging deep...just echoes from above the house? I remember getting attacked in cave but this was just my own tunnel work

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know whether whoever did the 360 port ported the code to something like XNA, or whether they're actually running a JVM on the 360? If they actually ported the code, it would be cool (though super unlikely) if that ever became available on the PC with better performance or whatnot.

Thanks, skeleton owning me while I was in the water still bothers me so I will have my revenge

I could have sworn I heard loud monster noises while digging deep...just echoes from above the house? I remember getting attacked in cave but this was just my own tunnel work
I -think- monster noises or scary music means there are monsters and/or a dungeon somewhere nearby, typically on the other side of walls.

bums! I spent a good hour starting an awesome huge mansion on a super high peak, died by falling and now can't find it because I dropped my map on death :/

I think i'll have much more fun in this game over co-op then solo.
Is there a crouch button on the 360 version? Crouching should prevent you from falling off ledges while you are constructing, which can be very useful if you are trying to do something like make a bridge.

is it possible to create a fence gate? because I have a few animals but I used a wooden door for now

That was only added in 1.8, so it's still a few updates away on the 360 version.

So guys, PC version or XBL? I have the option.

If you like an easier auto-crafting system, the 360 controller, drop-in-drop-out coop, and don't mine the smaller world or current lack of features compared to the PC version... XBL.

If you want huge worlds, cutting-edge features and like to struggle to get multiplayer servers working (or just want to play single-player), then PC.

Blizzard

Banned
So guys, PC version or XBL? I have the option.
PC version will give you more mods, the latest version of the game, and so forth. Are there any other considerations, such as having a bunch of XBL friends who want to play the game with you? *edit* A better answer is just above me.

My God. I started playing MC sometime around 2pm yesterday.
Walked away from the tv only a few short times...and went to bed at 5:30 this morning.
Spend most of my time in tiny tutorial section, building a huge glass house with garden on top, and I mined under the house deeep down. Found these really cool caverns underneath that area - underground waterfalls, lava areas, and stuff.

Minecraft crackhead.

LpyqL.jpg

Tamed 10 wolves (5 of which were just all chillin in the same area when I found them), finally got the achievement after the 10th one, even though it's only supposed to be 5. Oh well, my collection will continue to grow!

jlevel13

Is there a crouch button on the 360 version? Crouching should prevent you from falling off ledges while you are constructing, which can be very useful if you are trying to do something like make a bridge.

Yes - click down on the right stick to crouch (R3).

Played last night with a couple friends of mine. So much fun working together or separately on other things and just generally chatting as we went about our business. Shame the world isn't bigger (not that I've explored it all yet, just thinking about the future), I wonder if that's something they can patch later or if it is what it is.

I -think- monster noises or scary music means there are monsters and/or a dungeon somewhere nearby, typically on the other side of walls.
Monster noises, yes. Scary music just means the game thinks you're in a cave. Although, I've had it trigger in the PC version at times when I'm very clearly not in a cave.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Monster noises, yes. Scary music just means the game thinks you're in a cave. Although, I've had it trigger in the PC version at times when I'm very clearly not in a cave.

It triggers if you're close enough to completely unlit air blocks. I think 20 blocks away or so.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope Notch doesn't get in trouble with Microsoft or something. He was tweeting about the upcoming Microsoft sales announcement, and the Fez developer was like, how did you get those numbers, it took us like 6 months to see ours, how are you getting free updates, no one else gets those. :p

Apparently they had to fight to get a limited number of free updates for the 360 version, and I am guessing Microsoft let him see the sales numbers because they were so high, so they can show off the results in a press announcement (which I guess is not out yet?).

I don't think you can change it mid-game but I believe before you select your world to play, the option to change difficulty is there.

Top Bottom