• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Marco1

I tried the game last night and I'm missing the point of the fact that there is no point.
I guess I like my games to tell me what to do and where to go.
Fez will still be my favourite 2012 arcade game so far.

fernoca

For those joining recently, remember that:
-You can take/upload pictures to Facebook by pressing 'Start' and pressing Y.
-The first time you do this, you unlock a theme.

Polytron ‏ @Polytron

@notch you're also getting free updates, which is something every other developer on the platform is told is simply not an option.

Markus Persson ‏ @notch

@Polytron we had to fight for that, and we got a limited number of them. Not sure why they don't like it.

How many free updates do you think Notch got? Do you think he will update the game for free once he runs out of those? If so, for how long?

The codes have value, regardless how he got them. What's wrong with selling them? You guys should ease up IMO. Unless he's doing something wrong with how he gets them.

Yeah, wool is pretty much just decorative. You should never actually craft colored wool anyway though, what you do is you make a dye and then you go out and use the dye on a sheep and then that sheep will give you that color wool forever
Forever, once they implement the wool regrowth functionality, which I'm pretty sure 1.6.6 didn't yet have (given the absence of the Shears tool).

Piggus

I downloaded the demo and yeah, it feels like Minecraft on consoles. It's less overwhelming than the PC version thanks to the tutorials but it also has some issues. The lighting isn't nearly as smooth, and feature-wise is seems a bit limited right now (though of course it will be updated.) I'll stick with the PC version for the mods and epic multiplayer.

The Minecraft world has medieval fantasy setting. So you can craft bows and arrows.

You can also craft a record player, clock, coal powered minecart, boxes that shoot arrows when you set off a trap, TNT, etc so you really should be able to at least craft an old single shot rifle. Make bullets out of gun powder and iron ingots, etc. It would work well if done properly.

I got shafted on it not acknowledging my FortressMiner and Minecraft stuff so if anyone would have an extra one they didn't need, it would be greatly appreciated. Really wanted my GF and I to play this. She really liked it after watching me play the tutorial last night. If not, I understand, but thanks :)

S1kkZ

any tips for finding rare material? i play on Glacier (seed) and i cannot find the good stuff (gold, diamond and so on), no matter how deep i dig. the only thing i found so far was iron (?).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I was hooked from the demo I gotta say - and knowing how the game is set up to be, I can imagine much fun to be had in this game.

Tried my hand at the PlayXBLA giveaway, and I don't have any of the games for Raptr, so I'm gonna see how lucky I get.

Ramblin

Banned
I remember being skeptical when this was announced for the 360. I didn't think it was as big of deal as they were making it out to be. Reminding me once again I should reserve skepticism for my own opinions.

Piggus

any tips for finding rare material? i play on Glacier (seed) and i cannot find the good stuff (gold, diamond and so on), no matter how deep i dig. the only thing i found so far was iron (?).

I suggest you load up on torches, craft a couple swords and pickaxes, and look around for cavern entrances. Some caverns are extremely complex and go deep enough to easily find gold and diamonds without having to dig. In one of my single player games there was a cavern right outside my house. I ended up getting over a 100 iron ore, about 45 gold ore, over 200 coal pieces, 6 diamonds, and a ton of redstone. All of this was what I could see exposed. And I rushed through it since I was pushing my luck with all the mobs. It's more dangerous than typical mining but it pays off. If you get lost, just dig straight up to the surface. :)

Vlad

Some of you guys who are digging it on 360 should double dip someday and help us build another of our massive massive cities on the NeoCraft server.

I really wonder how many people are going to do just that. Someone gets addicted enough to the basic Minecraft formuala, sees what's available on the PC version and just can't help themselves.

In any case, I'm having great fun just reading through this thread to see all the people just now discovering the game.

Marco1

I personally think that once those free updates run out it will end there for minecraft.
So if Notch can tell us how many he received then we can workout when we will see the final minecraft on the 360.
Hopefully he won't waste them on minor fixes.

I personally think that once those free updates run out it will end there for minecraft.
So if Notch can tell us how many he received then we can workout when we will see the final minecraft on the 360.
Hopefully he won't waste them on minor fixes.

Your logic is faulty.

Woorloog

Banned
I really hope MCX updates will be used efficiently, like 2 PC patches combined for a single MCX update. Wouldn't mind waiting longer to get such, play MC only occasionally anyway.

It is ridiculous that even Minecraft only gets a limited number of free updates. Why doesn't MS want devs to support their games post launch?

Having only ever played the early beta on pc before survival mode started up I am loving this. It ran so bad on my pc. The smooth frame rate and ease of crafting makes this game extremely addictive. Also works really well with the 360 controller.

Had a five hour session in split-screen last night with the Mrs. It was excellent fun. Such a time sink.

I'm a little disappointed it isn't on par with the PC version feature-wise, but split-screen is definitely making up for it so far.

Woorloog

Banned
It is ridiculous that even Minecraft only gets a limited number of free updates. Why doesn't MS want devs to support their games post launch?

MS does have to test and host each patch etc, i guess they try to limit spending money on that. Plus not allowing many/large free patches means devs need to focus on quality (to certain extent...) and DLC more, and more DLC means more money for MS. Post-launch support doesn't seem to be important for many developers and publishers these days, there are few exceptions though, Blizzard comes first to my mind (and no wonder their games are popular, no wonder they're popular).
Just guessing here though.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
And my lucky streak with XBL stuff continues - just won a code from the PlayXBLA Twitter :) Thanks again if they're reading this!

After I'm through with Gears tonight I think I'm going to lose myself doing some crafting!

MS does have to test and host each patch etc, i guess they try to limit spending money on that. Plus not allowing many/large free patches means devs need to focus on quality (to certain extent...) and DLC more, and more DLC means more money for MS. Post-launch support doesn't seem to be important for many developers and publishers these days, there are few exceptions though, Blizzard comes first to my mind (and no wonder their games are popular, no wonder they're popular).
Just guessing here though.
Yeah perhaps but I'm pretty sure title updates cost somewhere around $40K a pop, that's just not reasonable. I think there are also a whole host of rules about what they can and can't have (including new features).

Davey Cakes

I have a capable PC, but I decided to finally get this (after wanting it for a while) on Xbox360 because I had some MS points to use.

It was really frustrating the first time night came and I got killed without having a shelter (I didn't collect materials fast enough) but it was satisfying when I built a nice little cabin and survived the night. I stopped for now but next time I'm going to head out and look for materials.

I can already see the appeal of the game. Looking forward to building bigger places, getting better tools, and being able to actual combat enemies.

I have a capable PC, but I decided to finally get this (after wanting it for a while) on Xbox360 because I had some MS points to use.

It was really frustrating the first time night came and I got killed without having a shelter (I didn't collect materials fast enough) but it was satisfying when I built a nice little cabin and survived the night. I stopped for now but next time I'm going to head out and look for materials.

I can already see the appeal of the game. Looking forward to building bigger places, getting better tools, and being able to actual combat enemies.

Is there a point to fighting enemies? Do they drop anything? I usually just dig at night or sleep if I need to do something outside. Should I be out there killing stuff?

Woorloog

Banned
I just dug a hole in the ground and watched the moon pass overhead all night. Am I doing it wrong?

Not really, though for safety you might want to consider covering the hole. Not recommended if you're afraid of dark and/or confined spaces... and playing with display glasses or whatever you call such (like the Sony TMZ-1 or whatever it was).

Alternatively you could expand the hole a bit and add a bed there, a small enough hole means no enemies will spawn there and sleeping skips over the night.

B3ASTMODE

lol at the butthurts in here. I already bought the game yesterday so im supposed to pass up on a free copy of the game because you missed out on it? I gave the code to a friend anyways.

UraMallas

The very fucking essence of Minecraft, right here.

That feeling when you think you're doing it wrong but you're doing it oh so right.

Not really, though for safety you might want to consider covering the hole. Not recommended if you're afraid of dark and/or confined spaces... and playing with display glasses or whatever you call such (like the Sony TMZ-1 or whatever it was).

Alternatively you could expand the hole a bit and add a bed there, a small enough hole means no enemies will spawn there and sleeping skips over the night.

When I was stuck there for 10 minutes I started looking around and thinking "ya know, I could hallow this space out and put some furniture down here. Now, if the green men outside would just stop making that horrible sound and let me concentrate on my feng shui."

lol at the butthurts in here. I already bought the game yesterday so im supposed to pass up on a free copy of the game because you missed out on it? I gave the code to a friend anyways.

Your speedy backtrack from trying to sell it suggests you know you were being an arse. Nice of you to give it to a friend. Redeemed.

Rapstah

Spider drops String
Creepers drop Gunpowder
Skeletons drop bones
Zombies drop Rotten Flesh

Zombies didn't start dropping rotten flesh until 1.0 release.
EDIT: Or I'm wrong and the guy above is right. The hunger update anyway.
When I was stuck there for 10 minutes I started looking around and thinking "ya know, I could hallow this space out and put some furniture down here. Now, if the green men outside would just stop making that horrible sound and let me concentrate on my feng shui."

Monsters could fall down through the hole.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So uh, does autosave actually....save? Because I just crashed (while saving) and lost an hour of progress.

ckohler

So uh, does autosave actually....save? Because I just crashed and lost an hour of progress.

I don't think so. This is a big difference between the console version and the PC versions. In the console version you need to save manually. It will always prompt you to save your progress when you quit the game but if the game crashes... Save often to be safe.

I have no idea what that little save box icon in the upper right indicates. I think it's just indicating it loading, not saving.

On the plus side, you can easily go into your world, experiment with an idea like blowing up a hilltop and if you don't like it, simply exit without saving. On the PC version, you have to backup your world first if you want to revert it.

feel

I think that little box on the corner means your inventory is being saved (mostly important in multiplayer when the game world is not your own). I dropped of a friend's game yesterday a couple of times and rejoined without losing anything from my inventory.

Rapstah

How could they get up that high? I made the walls too high for me to jump over and closed myself in. It worked, though.

Worst case scenario they would spawn on the edge. Spiders, the only ones who can actually climb, wouldn't fall down a 1x1 hole with that construction though.

I already have all the achievements :lol. The rail one was definitely the hardest due to all the materials you need to use to make rails. Whenever you guys attempt it, make sure you only build in a straight line. Do not make your rail turn at all.

Top Bottom