• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

First time Minecrafter here... having an absolute blast with the game. Unfortunately, my game froze on me when I quit and saved before going to bed last night and upon loading the game back up, it was at a point about two hours since I last saved. I thought the game autosaved when the chest icon appears on the upper right hand corner but apparently it's not. Not a big deal but quite annoying.

I already have all the achievements :lol. The rail one was definitely the hardest due to all the materials you need to use to make rails. Whenever you guys attempt it, make sure you only build in a straight line. Do not make your rail turn at all.
You didn't happen to save that in your world did you? Perhaps I can add you to my friend's list and jump in your world to ride that cart for the achievement lol

You didn't happen to save that in your world did you? Perhaps I can add you to my friend's list and jump in your world to ride that cart for the achievement lol

Yeah sure, my GT is RebornYeti. If anyone would like to do the same just join my game whenever you see me online. Just don't mess with my stuff! Haha

So, map size.

I started up a new, new world and looked at my map and it looks and feels smaller than the previous one I played in.

Does the size remain constant, regardless of seed? Also the big blank space on the map kind of makes me think that they're going to expand the game world.

Currently hiding in a wall and hearing spiders outside, classic minecraft! :D

Yeah sure, my GT is RebornYeti. If anyone would like to do the same just join my game whenever you see me online. Just don't mess with my stuff! Haha
Cool, thanks man! Sent you a friend's request. And no worries, I don't mess around like that. If you want, I can help you mine and find some resources too for helping me out with the achievement.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Are you on right now? I'll send you a message via my GamerTag, I think my friends list is full.

And no, I'd never mess with your stuff, hahaha!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I want to get minecraft. Not sure if i should just go head and get it for osx or for 360.

Twice the game has crashed when exiting. I haven't had a problem during gameplay or during saving, but I'd recommend saving and then exiting rather than hitting 'Save and Exit'. Reading around it seems other people have had freezes at that point.

First time playing, and I'm loving it. I really didn't think I would. Watching videos I thought I'd appreciate it, but get bored. 4 hours later and I have a nice little mine and a house by the lake. why is this so good?

360 version has it's charm. Runs and looks beautiful the maps are smaller it kinda fit with the way online is handled.. You wont be making giant cities with people on some server eso I don't really think there is a need for infinite maps.. It's a more focused co op feel to it. joining games is painless and the one I jumped in ran really smooth. I think both versions are great in their own way.

Also I'll be adding you yeti hopefully I can catch you on sometime. Feel free to add me as well guys.

GT: CountAntonius

ckohler

Twice the game has crashed when exiting. I haven't had a problem during gameplay or during saving, but I'd recommend saving and then exiting rather than hitting 'Save and Exit'. Reading around it seems other people have had freezes at that point.

First time playing, and I'm loving it. I really didn't think I would. Watching videos I thought I'd appreciate it, but get bored. 4 hours later and I have a nice little mine and a house by the lake. why is this so good?

I think the reason Minecraft is so good (and what people don't understand before they play it) is that you very quickly feel ownership in your creations and pride in your accomplishments. Another game with a similar effect is Animal Crossing.

Not sure if this just me, but may have encountered a bug.

Went to leaderboards in game, by default it was showing my friends so I filtered it to 'My Score' and Xbox froze - fixed with a reset and other than that the game is running trouble free - just to warn anyone.

Really fun stuff.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Not sure if this just me, but may have encountered a bug.

Went to leaderboards in game, by default it was showing my friends so I filtered it to 'My Score' and Xbox froze - fixed with a reset and other than that the game is running trouble free - just to warn anyone.

Really fun stuff.
Same here. I've crashed three times so far in various ways. I hope Microsoft ends their QA farce and just lets developers update after a short QA period in the future.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I played co-op with a friend for a few hours and made some good progress. Got really deep into a mine, built out a basement(that is actually much bigger than my actual house...), and he has his own chest and bed down there.

What's the logic on the bed spawning stuff again? I was fine last night but ever since I moved the door and made a basement monsters keep getting in at night.

Spent hours building a nice house. I covered it all properly. Put in doors and windows. Put in a bed. And the monsters still managed to creep in. And then two of those exploding guys turned up and ruined my beautiful home.

There a gaf tag for mc players? Need peeps to play with :p this foreveralone never works well.

Yup, add 'Minecraft GAF'

ckohler

Are you guys sure there are no holes where monsters can wander in and are you sure that your sealed off houses are well lit inside? Also, make double sure your beds are not up against the walls.

def sim

I had their problem too and I solved it by making my floor two blocks thick. Turns out there's a cavern down there.

Are you guys sure there are no holes where monsters can wander in and are you sure that your sealed off houses are well lit inside? Also, make double sure your beds are not up against the walls.

Mine was well sealed, another GAF user also came and had a look and patched up any holes when I kept getting attacked. My bed was also far from the walls. I didn't however have any torches or light within the house when it was dark. I guess that may have been the problem.

I think the reason Minecraft is so good (and what people don't understand before they play it) is that you very quickly feel ownership in your creations and pride in your accomplishments. Another game with a similar effect is Animal Crossing.

Yeah, I love creating stuff in games. I've spent more time in the Trials Evolution map editor than I have playing the game, so Minecraft is perfect for me.

The best seeds I've found are gargamel (pretty popular back in the day it seems) and Glacier. I'm playing in gargamel. You start in a huge valley surrounded by mountains and waterfalls. People are complaining about the world size, but I literally haven't left the valley yet. I could probably spend 10-20 hours messing around in it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God i am so undecided on which version to get. I like chilling on the couch but i dont want to pay slightly less for a super gimped version.

:-/

I have never played minecraft and have been away from gaming for a while so this is a pretty big decision. Especially for me because I am bad at making decisions.

I love building stuff and exploring.

Debating between getting it for my mbp or for XBLA.

bengraven

Mine was well sealed, another GAF user also came and had a look and patched up any holes when I kept getting attacked. My bed was also far from the walls. I didn't however have any torches or light within the house when it was dark. I guess that may have been the problem.

That would be it.

God i am so undecided on which version to get. I like chilling on the couch but i dont want to pay slightly less for a super gimped version.

I have never played minecraft and have been away from gaming for a while so this is a pretty big decision. Especially for me because I am bad at making decisions.

Debating between getting it for my mbp or for XBLA.

It's not really "gimped" in that it's limping by. It's the best version of the game we were playing last summer. It's just missing the last six or seven months of updates.

PC has the bigger maps, more advanced features and dedicated servers you can always go back to and help build together.

360 Maps aren't tiny or anything. Plays and looks great, has an easier crafting system, Multiplayer is basically inviting upto 8 people into your world or going into someone elses.

You honestly cant go wrong with either one. All depends how you wanna play multiplayer.

Zee-Row

Banned
I just wish the game had loot , I hate going into caves and finding only enemys or obscure stones. I wanna find a treasure chest or a rare monster.

bitoriginal

I got the game, played the tutorial and hated it. I phoned my friend and asked him what the point of the game was, he told me 'to build shit'. I put the game down as it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

About an hour later I picked it up again. I noticed a giant mountain in the middle of the map, and decided to check it out. I spent ages climbing up there and carving a small cave so I could get back up easily in the future. Half way up the mountain, nightfall came. I hid in my cave, watching the moon shrink and waiting for the morning, whilst hearing the groans of distant monsters.

By dawn, I managed to get all the way to the top of the mountain. The view was glorious, vibrant jungle and forest as far as the eye could see. I decided this was the spot, and spent another day cutting down trees to find a good location for a shack.

As night descended again, the rain came. I constructed four walls and hid as rain battered down upon my head. All I could think about was when the morning would come. It did finally come. On day three, I built a bed...

And it's at that glorious moment, I thought to myself "I'm going to build a castle."

I picked this up yesterday, and the Penny Arcade strip is so apt.
"Ok, I have wood, now I have made a stick. Oh, right, I can make a shovel...
I wonder how far I can dig?… Ooh, now it’s 1am and I have work tomorrow. Shit, have I time-travelled?"

My girlfriend was watching me play and decided she wanted a copy, so she purchased it on her profile on the spare 360 in the bedroom that we use for DVD’s and it is all we have done for the last two nights.

Next thing we know my brother and his friend both joined our game so I check my friend list and I had about 10-12 people online playing Minecraft. The game must have sold massive numbers.

I must say though, there is a certain irony that while my partner and I are half-way through a year long renovation that has caused us to lose all enthusiasm we are online seeing who can build the most opulent house… It just doesn’t sit right. lol

And it's at that glorious moment, I thought to myself "I'm going to build a castle."

That's it right there...Even playing the PC beta way back when I thought i was kinda over Minecraft and man was i wrong. I built my cabin where I spawned but I went to another guys game and saw he built atop a mountain. Now I am gonna tear down and find the highest peak in my game. I want the view.

Papercuts

Yeah, there's no holes and I put torches all around the room. I might try to dig below my basement because it may actually be above a cavern.

Emitan

Weird lighting bug. Placing a torch made it normal.

P0BdK.jpg

Yeah, there's no holes and I put torches all around the room. I might try to dig below my basement because it may actually be above a cavern.

How about torches outside the house? I have built 3 houses in my world now and haven't had any problems. I have the bed not touching a wall, and a torch in the middle of every wall outside. Plus one torch inside.

Papercuts

How about torches outside the house? I have built 3 houses in my world now and haven't had any problems. I have the bed not touching a wall, and a torch in the middle of every wall outside. Plus one torch inside.

There's none outside nearby, no. There's also one layer of my top floor and the basement is a good ~4 blocks deep, so maybe I need to attach a torch on the ceiling of the basement? Not sure if I have the logic of the bed right.

I just have the bed away from the wall, a torch inside. It was fine until I made my basement/moved my door, now I get attacked with the bed in the upstairs and the basement when I tried to move it. I have tons of torches on the basement walls though.

Woorloog

Banned
Minecraft is a great game but i have one rather big issue with it:
It makes me dizzy after playing a while, with a headache as a side-effect. Regardless of platform.
It might be the low field of view but i really doubt that as i can play many shooters with equally low FOV (70 degrees is the PC MC's lowest, i'd assume that is what the console version has too) without any issues. I play without view-bobbing (need to try with it just to make sure whether or not it affects me).
Oddly, i think playing in splitscreen mode doesn't make me dizze but i played only a limited time it today so i cannot be 100%.

On PC, i suppose i could adjust the FOV until i find a good value but it is difficult as i play on windowed mode and values above 70 look odd with default window size (you need to match FOV and aspect ratio, no?). Adjust the window is practically impossible as the size reverts to default whenever i launch the game again.

How rare are diamonds? My mine consists of a 3 block wide staircase that goes down as far as it can, and just carving that out I've found 8 diamonds. Is that typical or am I just lucky? My friend has been playing twice as long as me and has only found one. Also is there something in particular I should use them for, or should I just go ahead and create diamond tools and a sword?

Ferrio

Banned
How rare are diamonds? My mine consists of a 3 block wide staircase that goes down as far as it can, and just carving that out I've found 8 diamonds. Is that typical or am I just lucky? My friend has been playing twice as long as me and has only found one. Also is there something in particular I should use them for, or should I just go ahead and create diamonds tools and a sword?

Pickaxe and sword are the usual first things you wanna use them with.

bengraven

How rare are diamonds? My mine consists of a 3 block wide staircase that goes down as far as it can, and just carving that out I've found 8 diamonds. Is that typical or am I just lucky? My friend has been playing twice as long as me and has only found one. Also is there something in particular I should use them for, or should I just go ahead and create diamond tools and a sword?

*barely audible whisper*

Find the bottom layer of the game - the bedrock layer. Then count up 12 or 13 blocks. At the around the 13th block layer start building tunnels. Diamonds are heaviest on what is officially the "13.6th" level.

Don't tell anyone I said this.

*jumps out the window*

Erekiddo

A few questions to a new player ..

1. First, and foremost, why do enemies keep spawning in my house whenever I try to sleep? I don't have any holes, breaks, gaps and my doors are shut, but whenever I try to sleep, I always wake up to someone attacking me.

2. Is it possible to kill off all animals in the game? Or do they respawn. I want to go leather hunting, but am hesitant on wiping out all the cows.

*barely audible whisper*

Find the bottom layer of the game - the bedrock layer. Then count up 12 or 13 blocks. At the around the 13th block layer start building tunnels. Diamonds are heaviest on what is officially the "13.6th" level.

Don't tell anyone I said this.

*jumps out the window*

Ha, thanks. It'll give me an idea where to expand my mine. Makes sense too, the diamonds were found grouped around about that layer.

1. First, and foremost, why do enemies keep spawning in my house whenever I try to sleep? I don't have any holes, breaks, gaps and my doors are shut, but whenever I try to sleep, I always wake up to someone attacking me.

2. Is it possible to kill off all animals in the game? Or do they respawn. I want to go leather hunting, but am hesitant on wiping out all the cows.

1. Make sure your bed isn't touching a wall, and if it is make sure the wall is two blocks thick. Make your house well lit, inside and out.

2. I believe they respawn. I'm in an enclosed space and I've killed lots and there are still always lots about when I wake up.

Erekiddo

1. Make sure your bed isn't touching a wall, and if it is make sure the wall is two blocks thick. Make your house well lit, inside and out.

I'll try the bed thing. Everything else is fine.

One last one!

Is it possible to move bookcases? When I destroy them, it doesn't give me a bookcase back, which is a pain, considering how much it takes to create them.

Blizzard

Banned
Haha...make sure you aren't carrying valuable stuff when you do that, or that you dig very carefully. Digging down can result in hilarious incidents otherwise. :p

DarkCloud

Not in this version. However in the 1.8 update animals will no longer respawn and will need to be bred to maintain your food source. But until they patch to that version all animals will respawn anywhere there is grass (even in your house).

Also in one update you will need shears to get wool off sheep which require iron and are breakable. So until that patch you can just punch sheep to get wool so you may wanna abuse that while you can as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I dunno if the XBLA version does yet but the PC version has that stuff
"Loot" for us Terraria guys means double jump boots, Diablo-like modified weapons, underwater breathing masks, rings, grappling hooks, etc. I wish I could have that to look forward to over hunger.

Emitan

Got disconnected from my friend's game and can't rejoin. No one else is having problems. Says I'm disconnected from the server.

LQX

Question: I'm playing the demo, it has already built structures, does the full game have this also or is it just the demo? I would rather a blank slate.

Top Bottom