• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

ckohler

Question: I'm playing the demo, it has already built structures, does the full game have this also or is it just the demo? I would rather a blank slate.
In this version, new worlds are devoid of man made structures (except for the occasional underground dungeon room which are rare).

bengraven

As for the question of treasure, yes, there are things, rare things, in treasure boxes throughout the world.

In a cavern (not all) you'll eventually find a room covered in mossy cobblestone with a strange cage in the center. The cage is a monster spawner. Fight the monsters and destroy the spawner (and take that beautiful mossy cobblestone because this is the only place to find it so far) and look around. There should be a chest or two.

Hint: there's usually one very close to where you spawn. Dig around in the sand sometime when you have time...listen for the sounds of monsters even in bright daylight. I've actually spawned several times directly ON a dungeon covered in sand and FELL INTO it and died...right after my first spawn.

But other than spawn, they are very very rare and are exciting when you finally find them.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
RAther than buy either version, I ended up watching like an hour of minecraft ultra hardcore FFA videos I found on youtube. I am an indecisive fool.

I need someone to decide for me lol. I wish I could have gotten that raptr code.

Edit: this is really entertaining

Vlad

If this game had moving parts, as in me building a working windmill, I'd never leave the house.

I'm not trying to do the system wars thing here, but several of the mods for the PC version expand a LOT on the "making fancy mechanisms" aspect of the game. Heck, one of the mods (Better Than Wolves) actually has a craftable windmill (and waterwheel) in it that you can use to power other motors that the mod includes.

Look forward to pistons. They should be in the next update assuming they mirror the features of the desktop version. Don't think you could make a windmill with them, though.

Yeah, a windmill with pistons isn't going to happen. There's a lot of fun applications for those, though.

RAther than buy either version, I ended up watching like an hour of minecraft ultra hardcore FFA videos I found on youtube. I am an indecisive fool.

I need someone to decide for me lol. I wish I could have gotten that raptr code.

Edit: this is really entertaining
Just get it. You have my personal guarantee you won't regret it.

XBLA feels like a good intro to the series. Great tutorial, easier crafting. Great game to just chill out with on the couch. Plus splitscreen for couch co op is pretty great.

fernoca

JP09w.jpg

The sheep!! :p
vTkQx.jpg

Though, one "problem" I've been getting is that every time I upload a pic to Facebook (well, all 4 times so far :p); I receive a "disconnected from server" message which sends me back to the title screen...even when I'm playing offline. Played for 2 hours, no problem...uploaded a pic and back to the title screen. But no biggie.

ImLibo

Was able to snag a free copy from Raptr earlier today and played for about four hours or so,
im hooked!
It clicked almost immediately why so many people love this game.
Also,fuck spiders.

C4Lukins

It is at about 1.2 million across the 4 difficulty leaderboards. Again the sales are not actually that high, but it is safe to say the game is selling quite well.

So I build a nice basement but now I'm attacked by zombies in my sleep. Is it the dirt floor in the basement? Zombies only showed up after I buillt the basement floor of my house.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Im just going to get the 360 version because I have a bestbuy gift card so it will be free. It will be a good introduction to the game. Probably will drive me to get the pc version.

Ferrio

Banned
So I build a nice basement but now I'm attacked by zombies in my sleep. Is it the dirt floor? Zombies only showed up after I build the basement floor.

1. Make sure it's well lit.
2. Is your bed against the wall? You have to have atleast 2 solid blocks between you and where something might spawn (monsters spawn in improperly lit places).
3. There might be a cavern below you.

1. Make sure it's well lit.
2. Is your bed against the wall? You have to have atleast 2 solid blocks between you and where something might spawn (monsters spawn in improperly lit places).
3. There might be a cavern below you.

1) It was pretty well lit. I don't think that's it. Went overboard with the light I thought.

2) It was up against a wall. Several blocks of dirt between me and the outside though, I think.

3) Well, shit.

Ferrio

Banned
1) It was pretty well lit. I don't think that's it. Went overboard with the light I thought.

2) It was up against a wall. Several blocks of dirt between me and the outside though, I think.

3) Well, shit.

2. The diagonal might be getting you. Move your bed away from the wall... if it doesn't happen then... well there's your problem.

Tried to get the minecart achievement by joining RebornYeti's world earlier but it didn't work. Maybe you have to build and ride the cart in your own world? Sorry I wasn't able to help you gather resources man, the wife needed help with something. I did take a picture of our brief encounter though lol

403418_10150813624318310_555413309_9591671_292521406_n.jpg

That's RebornYeti decked out in iron armor?

trinest

I wouldn't mind playing in a few online maps. Anyone actively online? What about the GAF Minecraft account?

Oh and how do you farm animals in this version? I noticed the wheat trick doesn't work. ...wait this one doesn't have breeding? Ew.

bengraven

All these creepers at the door remind me of the first Minecraft song, from so long ago. It was one of the two things that sold me on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkibXv84WU (2:55 seconds)

Fucking memories.

(for the record, the other thing was that first fan made trailer with the Inception music...I hadn't even watched Inception nor saw a trailer at that point, so to this day, that song is the Minecraft trailer song, not Inception)

bengraven

bengraven

Played the demo...didn't think the moaning of the zombies and creepers would be so unsettling, but man it is...

Two years later and zombies still scare the shit of out me.

So do spider screeches - especially because in the current build they can climb walls.

And in the dark you don't want to hear the clatter of skeleton bones or the THWANG of an arrow.

Used the seed 'goldlove' and got spawned on top of a shit load of moaning. Turns out the spawn is right on top of a dungeon. Decided to fence it in and build a floating mansion above it with a pimp ass mossy cobblestone floor. So addicted :x

So how do I go about destroying the monster spawner?

Two years later and zombies still scare the shit of out me.

So do spider screeches - especially because in the current build they can climb walls.

And in the dark you don't want to hear the clatter of skeleton bones or the THWANG of an arrow.

So my brother and I played the demo for the second time today. At first we never quite finished the tutorial so time stayed still. The second time however, night came. Things got darker, as they do, and we had nothing. No shelter and no real weapons. Instead... we had stuff. We jumped and placed a single tile below us ad repeated until we were quite high up. I had more materials than my brother and was about 5 tiles higher.

The skeleton hit him off the tower with an arrow and he spent his time fleeing. Now, he was player one so maybe that's why nobody wnt after me. Maybe it was because I was higher up. I dunno.

Either way, I need this game.

ckohler

So how do I go about destroying the monster spawner?

I think you can just beat it with an axe, however I wouldn't. If you destroy it, it's gone forever. Instead, surround it with torches and that'll prevent it from working.

Since monster spawner blocks are rare (only found in Dungeons) you might want to keep it around in case you want to build a mob trap around it or something.

Top Bottom