• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

MarkusRJR

Is there a way to have groups of friends on Xbox live? I just signed up for Gold (for the first time) and added a few real-life friends but I don't want to mix them together with people on GAF. It'd get really confusing if they're all scattered together.

I think you can just beat it with an axe, however I wouldn't. If you destroy it, it's gone forever. Instead, surround it with torches and that'll prevent it from working.

Since monster spawner blocks are rare (only found in Dungeons) you might want to keep it around in case you want to build a mob trap around it or something.

Wow light stops monsters from spawning.. can't believe I didn't put that together on my own. 'preciate the advice buddy!

bengraven

So my brother and I played the demo for the second time today. At first we never quite finished the tutorial so time stayed still. The second time however, night came. Things got darker, as they do, and we had nothing. No shelter and no real weapons. Instead... we had stuff. We jumped and placed a single tile below us ad repeated until we were quite high up. I had more materials than my brother and was about 5 tiles higher.

The skeleton hit him off the tower with an arrow and he spent his time fleeing. Now, he was player one so maybe that's why nobody wnt after me. Maybe it was because I was higher up. I dunno.

Either way, I need this game.

Skellies can hit something like five or six blocks away. You just proved the old adage: "I don't need to outrun the bear, I need to outrun you".

I remember my first few nights in MC. I built a little dirt and cave area - at the time I didn't realize that natural caves were better for mining than ones I made myself, so I just dug out some dirt and rock and formed a pocket in the mountain. I wasn't aware of the light rule at the time and just had a torch outside, above my door so I could find it on dark nights. My pocket was about 10 x 20. I sat by my door and waited for the sun to come back.

Yeah.

Thwang. What?! Thwang. "Oh what the fuck, what the fuck?

While I had been running home a skeleton RIDING A SPIDER had spawned inside my house. I had ran in, slammed the door shut against the coming night, and just turned my back to the darkness inside my own home to peek out the window in my door and THWANG SKREEE THWANG SKRREEEEE.

Respawning at midnight and having to find a single candle miles from home sucks.

There are pigs in my house. Also how do you guys take pictures?

Dirt floor? Pigs and cows and chickens will spawn on grass as long as there's light.

Built a mighty tower at the top of a mountain with some friends. Good times!

1XoJg.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
I love this thread, seeing people's first reactions to minecraft is excellent. Especially the people who didn't "get it" before.

Is 1.6 before or after they fixed minecarts (when you had to do the double cart glitch to power them)

C4Lukins

Ok... Final update of the night. Or is it nite? Knight?

Peaceful- 314,445
Easy- 575,162
Normal- 308,775
Hard- 63,834

I think it is safe to say that the game will have sold a million copies in under 48 hours.

Emitan

I love this thread, seeing people's first reactions to minecraft is excellent. Especially the people who didn't "get it" before.

Is 1.6 before or after they fixed minecarts (when you had to do the double cart glitch to power them)

Pretty sure 1.6 has boosters.

Have they said anything about patches coming to the XBLA version...or will MS do what MS does and put out the patches on PC as "content pack" DLC for the XBLA version

Also, what little I know of the PC version, I think I can do without the hunger mechanic. Seems unnecessary.

C4Lukins

Have they said anything about patches coming to the XBLA version...or will MS do what MS does and put out the patches on PC as "content pack" DLC for the XBLA version

Also, what little I know of the PC version, I think I can do without the hunger mechanic. Seems unnecessary.

It looks like Notch got 3 or 4 free updates. Minecraft is living on a whole different cloud then most XBLA games.

I do have to say that the updates for Minecraft on the PC just sound annoying and not fun. Outside of the endless world.

Ohwiseone

I am more addicted to this on my Xbox than I am on my Mac.

I'm in the " must mine more stone, I NEED STONE" moment. I'm currently trying to build a rough stone outline of a massive cathedral/building thing.

And to fix my floor outside my door.

I have had my "OH SHIT THAT'S COAL" moments the past 3 nights.

SparkTR

It looks like Notch got 3 or 4 free updates. Minecraft is living on a whole different cloud then most XBLA games.

I do have to say that the updates for Minecraft on the PC just sound annoying and not fun. Outside of the endless world.

There are plenty of great ones that I hope they implement in this version, playing around at a friends house it seems a bit too 'barebones' for me to enjoy it at this stage (having played hundreds of hours of the PC version), as well as the miniscule world size. According to Notch they plan to add the communities most requested features in each patch, more of a pick and choose type of deal rather than copying the PC versions iterative update cycles. Which is nice since they have hindsight on their side, but it also means this version will be constantly lagging behind the PC one.

C4Lukins

Ok so we are at about 48 hours now.

Minecraft

Peaceful- 319,860
Easy- 581,063
Normal- 312,096
Hard- 64,815

Trials Evolution

Geometry Wars 2

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved

Doom

TMNT Arcade

Castle Crashers

Limbo

Sorry just having fun with leaderboards.

Tried to get the minecart achievement by joining RebornYeti's world earlier but it didn't work. Maybe you have to build and ride the cart in your own world? Sorry I wasn't able to help you gather resources man, the wife needed help with something. I did take a picture of our brief encounter though lol

That's RebornYeti decked out in iron armor?

Haha, nice picture. :)

I had a couple friends join my world after you left and they both got the achievement. Perhaps it was just a glitch on your end. If you want, you can join me again tomorrow and we'll go for it again. Also, don't worry about not being able to help me. I had my friends help out a ton with the resources after you left. I have so much Cobblestone haha.

Oh, and yes, I am decked out in iron armor. Working my way up to diamond armor pretty soon. :)

In other news, my castle is nearly complete. What should I start building next? I'm thinking a proper mansion up on the tallest mountain.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Still not sure what the deal is with my house and beds, as there's space from the walls, space below and above, and it's well lit. But I'm just making another house anyway because of the craziness that happened when I tried digging in the basement.

Slowly went down, my friend split off and we dug different directions. I eventually found a big room, and kept digging down. He wasn't finding much, so he met up with me and we pushed it out a lot. Then he just went "fuck it" and dug straight down. Fell down a hole, barely lived, but we hit bedrock for the first time. I dug my way down to mine all the redstone we found, also came across a gold ingot and 4 diamonds.

But, given how far down we were, it was pretty dangerous digging, usually upwards. My friend had the stupid idea to use the insane amount of cobblestone we had to try and see if we could pop out of the surface, but I figured since we were hitting bedrock that it would be reallllly high up, especially with that dangerous digging. The problem? I built my house on a BIG hill, and the fact we even managed to hit bedrock from there is crazy. We went extremely far down to hit where we were. Either way, he goes and digs up while placing cobblestones behind him while I'm slagging behind a bit, then I hear him scream and fall with a ton of gravel crushing and killing him. Yup, plan failed. My inventory was completetly filled and my last pickaxe just broke, so I was nearly stranded and had a lot of good stuff on me. I slowly managed to make my way down to the bedrock again, but couldn't find the hole I fell down here in.

My friend was trying to find me on the map and dig straight down(which I advised against...) and he ended up falling right into lava. So, good to know that I have a bunch of that on top of me as well. I eventually found the hole I fell down in and made an extremely dumb move when I was going to build up. I hit LT as I was scrolling to the dirt I had, and accidentily used the Flint. I lit myself on fire, freaked out and covered the flame then started building up as high as I could. LUCKILY the fire stopped when I had a half heart, so I was alive and back in my normal carved out mine. Got upstairs and saved all the stuff I found.

Then I decided to use the good ~2000 cobblestone I have from all of this to move to the beach and make a giant stone house partially on the water. Because FUCK my other house, it's cursed.

jambo

Does anyone have a code for 100 MS space bucks on LIVE?

I have 510 in my account and the only options I have online are 1,000 and 2,000 and what I really need is 1,100 =\

<3

clockpunk

I am now a convert. Also: hooked.

6 hour stint for m first session (until 0200), and even now sitting at work, all I can think of is what I plan to do in my world as soon as I can get back to it!

My buildings are all so ugly, I'm talking about cobblestone houses which just don't feel right D:

I love the satisfaction you get from building though; really missed it.

Biggzy

MS have allowed patches for Minecraft, so hopefully to see the XBLA version to catch up to the PC version in time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am more addicted to this on my Xbox than I am on my Mac.

I'm in the " must mine more stone, I NEED STONE" moment. I'm currently trying to build a rough stone outline of a massive cathedral/building thing.

And to fix my floor outside my door.

I have had my "OH SHIT THAT'S COAL" moments the past 3 nights.

you building with cobblestone? If so, give it a while and you'll be in the 'need more furnaces to make smooth stone' phase :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are the rules for split-screen multiplayer? Wondering if I can get my kids playing - can they play with silver accounts if I have gold?

FyreWulff

what are the rules for split-screen multiplayer? Wondering if I can get my kids playing - can they play with silver accounts if I have gold?

Online sessions, all 4 splitters need to be gold accounts. It seems to not let them be guests.

Also you need to be playing via HD.

Local anybody can be any profile

acm2000

how do the different difficultys work? would it not count the same person if they did easy and hard? do split screen players count? its difficult to get any actual sales numbers from the leaderboards in this game

owlbeak

Tried to get the minecart achievement by joining RebornYeti's world earlier but it didn't work. Maybe you have to build and ride the cart in your own world? Sorry I wasn't able to help you gather resources man, the wife needed help with something. I did take a picture of our brief encounter though lol

403418_10150813624318310_555413309_9591671_292521406_n.jpg

That's RebornYeti decked out in iron armor?
Can I ask how you have a custom skin in the 360 version, or is that the default multiplayer skin (on the right) or something? :)

Played about 4-5 hours yesterday with the missus. We're having problems in the bedroom... zombie problems. Room is well lit and bed isn't next to a wall. There is a room upstairs, but is also well lit. I think I have to build a basement so I can sleep in peace.

Is it possible to make a floating island by digging out dirt from under a mountain? I know sand will drop but mud seems to float?

Played about 4-5 hours yesterday with the missus. We're having problems in the bedroom... zombie problems. Room is well lit and bed isn't next to a wall. There is a room upstairs, but is also well lit. I think I have to build a basement so I can sleep in peace.

The damn basement was when I strted having zombie problems lol.

Clearly my house isn't fortress-like enough. The time to remedy that is approaching.

clockpunk

I know it is a small thing, but I would lovve to see some more crops and food recipes worked into the game. Pumpkin pie, anyone?

An acceptable Harvest Moon-esque title for the 360! :D

vixlar

I think the reason Minecraft is so good (and what people don't understand before they play it) is that you very quickly feel ownership in your creations and pride in your accomplishments. Another game with a similar effect is Animal Crossing.

Yes, actually I was thinking in Animal Crossing while I was playing it. We need more Totakeke...

Vlad

Is it possible to make a floating island by digging out dirt from under a mountain? I know sand will drop but mud seems to float?

Yeah, it's very doable. The only materials that are affected by gravity are sand, gravel, and TNT once it's lit.

Top Bottom