• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

clockpunk

Cheers - trying to avoid reading the dev logs so as to be surprised by 'new' features. This news pleases me, though. Pleases me greatly.

mozfan12

Banned
Has anyone gotten the glitch where the furnaces stop working. No matter what I do they are just not working. Coal, wood, etc. They just stopped working. I was enjoying the game, but this is really starting to piss me off.

FrankT

Looking at those number comparisons this maybe the one game to give CC a run for its money. It would take quite some time which CC has a clear advantage on that end.

FStop7

Banned
I played Minecraft for the first time ever last night.

I absolutely hated it at first, but by about the third day I started to get the hang of it. My second night was spent hiding from monsters in a hole in the ground while being rained on. By about the 4th night I has a nice little underground fortress going. The next time it rained it felt pretty cool to sit there and watch it from my warm, dry, safe home.

Any Gaffers up for making a GAF town/city - you know, individual houses and any cool looking structures we like? I'll be on regularly in the next few days so I can host it.

Send me a message and I'll shoot you an invite (Ape Gone Insane). The more, the merrier.

So I went ahead and bought it and have spent the past hour digging a huge staircase under the tutorial hut.

How addictive is this shit.

bengraven

I am now a convert. Also: hooked.

6 hour stint for m first session (until 0200), and even now sitting at work, all I can think of is what I plan to do in my world as soon as I can get back to it!

MC actually helped me get fired. I got so addicted to it so fast that I would play it in browser between phone calls at work. haha

I still miss that world I created though. Between calls where AT&T and Verizon yelling at me.

Ramblin

Banned
My review of the game.

I will probably get a lot of hate for it. *laughs*

I found the time to read your review, after seeing it on Metacritic. To me this looks like a contradiction. This isn't hate, I just found it funny.

By this point, Minecraft XBLA had stopped feeling weird, and instead now felt awesome.

Minecraft has never had that support for local multiplayer, and having that ability to sit down with family or friends and enjoy a gaming experience that’s about creation—instead of destruction—is quite wonderful.

When compared to the “true” version of Minecraft that exists out there, however, this XBLA port is nothing but disappointment.

bengraven

I liked Shidoshi's review - enough that I looked up more to read.

My only issue with the review is the one she was aware would be brought up: I'm not necessarily sure if it's fair to judge it based on the content vs. the PC version. I think had it tried to keep up with the PC version it would have never been released, considering the hoops they have to go through to get updates.

That said, 4J and Mojang should have waited until they could get the Adventure Update at least.

Shogun Assassin: That's when everything changed...

Vlad

Has anyone gotten the glitch where the furnaces stop working. No matter what I do they are just not working. Coal, wood, etc. They just stopped working. I was enjoying the game, but this is really starting to piss me off.

Just to ask the silly question, is your output slot full? For example, if you're smelting a full stack of 64 sand into glass, you can't use the furnace for anything else (even smelting more sand) until you take the glass out of it.

WillyFive

I just tried the demo. Is there a point to the game other than creating things made out of blocks?

The point of the game is to thrive. You do that by making things out of block.

When you first start the game, you start with nothing out in the open, which is bad because monsters come out when the night falls. You gather materials and make yourself a shelter, to keep yourself from being killed by monsters. Then from your materials, you make tools to go mining, which allows you to make more tools (like lights, which keeps monsters from spawning) to survive and thrive.

I love reading the comments from new players. My gaming friends have been playing MC for so long it's easy to forget what it's like to open it up for the first time.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is there like...a mode without creepers in the PC version? Give me a million zombies, add flying vampire bats, I don't care. But when a creeper ruins a great natural waterfall, tears flow.

DSmalls84

Is there like...a mode without creepers in the PC version? Give me a million zombies, add flying vampire bats, I don't care. But when a creeper ruins a great natural waterfall, tears flow.

For me there is nothing more rage inducing than a creeper sneaking up on my while im working and blowing a hole in the building I am working on! lol Damn creepers stay off ma lawn!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My only issue with the review is the one she was aware would be brought up: I'm not necessarily sure if it's fair to judge it based on the content vs. the PC version. I think had it tried to keep up with the PC version it would have never been released, considering the hoops they have to go through to get updates.

I'm with you, I don't think that a review should be used to compare different versions, but instead let it stand on its own merits. The best kind of reviews for this are from people who have never played it, period - or are out of touch.

Shidoshi's review is one of two reviews I ignore. I ignore the highest, and then the one that's scored so low that it's obvious they're doing it for hits. Actually, I've pretty much gotten to the point where I ignore most reviews and just stick to users on forums like this one to point out the plusses and minuses. Didn't need it with this game though as the demo sold itself.

jyoung188

Damn, time flies when I play this game! 5 hours just flew by last night and I don't usually play games any longer than 1-2 hours a time. I haven't played since the Alpha on the PC version so a lot of the features in this version are new to me and I am having a blast. I'll be adding some Gaffers later tonight, and anyone who wants to play feel free to add me, my GT is: JYOUNG188

My Lord, this game is vast. Yea I know the PC game is much bigger, but I'm a bit in awe as a console-only player. I've dug DEEP, and it just keeps going. So many underground cave systems, I imagine I could get lost at some point. Actually, I have gotten lost already -

I set out yesterday to find some sugarcane, and decided to just kept going. It didn't dawn on me until I saw the sun starting to go down that I should circle back home...and then it was too late. I had to build a quick dirt cubical house and wait out the night. I hoped no spiders would camp out my dirt shack, because I wasn't wearing any armor.

Spend another day taking a wide arc to circle back around. Took in some sights along the way, climbed a few peaks to enjoy the view, and see if I could see my house. I didn't. Another dirt house for the night. Actually, by the end of the 2nd night, I had a "doh!" moment where it dawned on me to build a crafting table and then a bed, so I could just sleep the nights away.

Third day, I poked into a few apparently massive underground cave systems. They seem to be everywhere. Lots of neat places in this world, thinking about how cool it will be when I actually make a mine cart to travel around and further explore the world. AS the 3rd night started to set in, I really wanted to get home, so I built a boat and started sailing. I got to what appeared to be the 'end of the world' and then used that as a guide & hugged the landmasses next to it.

Sailing at night, then I saw them and remembered - there's some kind of strange see creatures swimming around, and they don't look friendly. I believe it was one of them that destroyed my first boat. It was a tense moment, swimming back to shore in the dark night, thinking the monsters would kill me before I could reach it...but they didn't.
There I was hiding on the shoreline in some bushes, crouched and carefully looking around for spooks. Built another boat and sailed on...for another day and night.

It's on this 4th day, 2 days of constant sailing, that I'm getting a queezy feeling - what if I can't find my way back? I'm going to die out here, and never find my stuff.
And then, on the forth night, I sailed into a bay and saw a mass of lights up on a hill. I was like "Is that.....?.....YES!!" I actually came around the back side of the homestead, and not the front where I made a long series of steps to the beach. What I did out of fear, was just "ride up" the waterfall to my roof.
Home Sweet Home again!

My house. I like glass, lol. Got a pool/waterfall on the roof, and a garden that delivers running water & lots of light to rows of crops.

GlassHouseAtNight.jpg

RoofPoolWaterfall.jpg

2ndFloor.jpg

WateringGarden.jpg

adelante

My Lord, this game is vast. Yea I know the PC game is much bigger, but I'm a bit in awe as a console-only player. I've dug DEEP, and it just keeps going. So many underground cave systems, I imagine I could get lost at some point. Actually, I have gotten lost already -

I set out yesterday to find some sugarcane, and decided to just kept going. It didn't dawn on me until I saw the sun starting to go down that I should circle back home...and then it was too late. I had to build a quick dirt cubical house and wait out the night. I hoped no spiders would camp out my dirt shack, because I wasn't wearing any armor.

Spend another day taking a wide arc to circle back around. Took in some sights along the way, climbed a few peaks to enjoy the view, and see if I could see my house. I didn't. Another dirt house for the night. Actually, by the end of the 2nd night, I had a "doh!" moment where it dawned on me to build a crafting table and then a bed, so I could just sleep the nights away.

Third day, I poked into a few apparently massive underground cave systems. They seem to be everywhere. Lots of neat places in this world, thinking about how cool it will be when I actually make a mine cart to travel around and further explore the world. AS the 3rd night started to set in, I really wanted to get home, so I built a boat and started sailing. I got to what appeared to be the 'end of the world' and then used that as a guide & hugged the landmasses next to it.

Sailing at night, then I saw them and remembered - there's some kind of strange see creatures swimming around, and they don't look friendly. I believe it was one of them that destroyed my first boat. It was a tense moment, swimming back to shore in the dark night, thinking the monsters would kill me before I could reach it...but they didn't.
There I was hiding on the shoreline in some bushes, crouched and carefully looking around for spooks. Built another boat and sailed on...for another day and night.

It's on this 4th day, 2 days of constant sailing, that I'm getting a queezy feeling - what if I can't find my way back? I'm going to die out here, and never find my stuff.
And then, on the forth night, I sailed into a bay and saw a mass of lights up on a hill. I was like "Is that.....?.....YES!!" I actually came around the back side of the homestead, and not the front where I made a long series of steps to the beach. What I did out of fear, was just "ride up" the waterfall to my roof.
Home Sweet Home again!

My house. I like glass, lol. Got a pool/waterfall on the roof, and a garden that delivers running water & lots of light to rows of crops.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x304/Deilgyre/GlassHouseAtNight.jpg[//MG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x304/Deilgyre/RoofPoolWaterfall.jpg[//IMG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x304/Deilgyre/2ndFloor.jpg[//IMG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x304/Deilgyre/WateringGarden.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]

Lol love reading up other gamer's adventures in Minecraft; I need to get this game as soon as I'm not burdened with projects!

Oh and that irrigation system you've got is awesome!

Only thing I noticed was the Ambient Occlusion. Don't know what the smooth lighting is, unless it's the same thing. :lol
Smooth lighting basically 'smooths' out the lighting effect cast from light sources, it was originally a mod, but was eventually incorporated as a main graphical option. Here's a comparison taken from the Wiki (you can mainly see the difference on the stone at the bottom):

smoothanimsmalhez91.gif

Personally, I've always preferred the original rough lighting because I feel it captures the true essence of Minecraft better. Also, smooth lighting makes everthing seem darker, and also more difficult to evenly place torches in some circumstances.

LQX

Anyone interested in buying my code I got from BestBuy? Not really feeling the demo and bought it before the price went back up. PM if interested. $17 or 1600 point card.

So, do most people create multiple houses and beds? I built a nice house close to the water for the great view. But, now that I start venturing out I've noticed that I spend more time running from the mouth of a cave to my house and back.

Also, do the resources ever respawn? I haven't found any diamonds, iron, obsidian, or redstone yet. When I do I feel that it might be a pain to spend hours digging deep enough just to find a small amount of ore. I guess that's probably the point of the game, though.

I'm really enjoying the experience of discovering things. I was in my tree farming area and I got attacked by a creeper from behind. It scared the shit out of me, but when he blew up he created a hole in the side of a mountain that actually exposed a whole new mine shaft. The hole was so deep that I had to create a spiraling staircase around the outside of the shaft because conventional stairs wouldn't have worked. I've only gone a small distance into the cavern, but I have a feeling that this one will be HUGE!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I played Minecraft for the first time ever last night.

I absolutely hated it at first, but by about the third day I started to get the hang of it. My second night was spent hiding from monsters in a hole in the ground while being rained on. By about the 4th night I has a nice little underground fortress going. The next time it rained it felt pretty cool to sit there and watch it from my warm, dry, safe home.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/09/20

MajorPain

Home Sweet Home again!

GlassHouseAtNight.jpg

RoofPoolWaterfall.jpg

2ndFloor.jpg

WateringGarden.jpg

This whole minecraft thing is new for me it is an amazing game did not realize what i was missing out on. Your house looks awesome. How do you get water up on the roof?

bengraven

No, but we have mods on the PC that lessen/eliminate their explosive damage to the environment.

Also, I want an enemy flying mob so badly. Just as much as a water one.

I WANT the danger of swimming too far from shore. I WANT to be standing on my castle thinking myself hot shit while pissing arrows down at zombies and suddenly get attacked by a bat.

hRhce.jpg

My house next to a lovely waterfall. Need to start decorating it a bit with some other textures, it's a bit too wooden right now. Has double doors at the back that lead into a mountain for mining. I'm surrounded by a circle of massive mountains, so I needed an easy way to get to the top/out into the mainland so I built...

duD1p.jpg

A giant tower/bridge. I'll probably end up building two huge halfs of a castle at either side of the bridge on the top of the mountains. For now though the top is primarily used for gathering wood; it's a vast plain of trees. I have a house up there too so I don't get caught in the dark.

Blizzard

Banned
That's actually a good point -- minerals never respawn, so there's going to be a limited amount of stuff you can build (especially, say, minecart tracks with iron) before your world runs out, correct?

With the PC version you keep making your world more and more sprawling, in theory. Maybe they will add creative mode to the 360 as well though, for people who want to make giant constructions.

That's actually a good point -- minerals never respawn, so there's going to be a limited amount of stuff you can build (especially, say, minecart tracks with iron) before your world runs out, correct?

With the PC version you keep making your world more and more sprawling, in theory. Maybe they will add creative mode to the 360 as well though, for people who want to make giant constructions.

I've essentially built a 3X3 tunnel down when mining and I've found plenty of iron. Considering the amount of blocks that must lie underground, I can't imagine running out should be an issue.

I don't think I'd use creative mode. Struggling to get enough stuff and working out how to build is part of the fun.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My home. Other than the sandstone border and cutting down a tree, it's a natural formation. Love it. There's also a floating island visible from inside, probably 200 meters away, where I'll place my Nether Portal.

ironcreed

Banned

Home Sweet Home again!

GlassHouseAtNight.jpg

RoofPoolWaterfall.jpg

2ndFloor.jpg

WateringGarden.jpg

Pretty awesome stuff. I feel I am doing myself a big disservice by not having tried the trial yet. I have just watched some random footage here and there and it has never really clicked with me, but the more I see and read makes it seem all the more intriguing. I'll give it a go tonight, but I need another game like I need a hole in the head right now.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man im in my house but it got dark and i cant find my crafting table or my furnace to get the charcoal out. Im sitting here in the damn dark...

Haha, nice picture. :)

I had a couple friends join my world after you left and they both got the achievement. Perhaps it was just a glitch on your end. If you want, you can join me again tomorrow and we'll go for it again. Also, don't worry about not being able to help me. I had my friends help out a ton with the resources after you left. I have so much Cobblestone haha.

Oh, and yes, I am decked out in iron armor. Working my way up to diamond armor pretty soon. :)

Ok cool, we can give it another go. I'll see if I can't catch you online tonight or over the weekend or something. Thanks again! :)

Top Bottom