• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini Xbox??

neo2046

NOT CONFIRMED YET

some people said that the latest famitsu has covered news about mini Xbox
but the news is not confirmed yet

Matlock

Banned
I hear they're going to make the whole thing smaller than the launch controller.

So now it can join every other console in that category.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
if this is true, please confirm before tomorrow, and my imminent xbox purchase...i'd hold out for a mini one.

If this proves to be true, just watch all the sites that reported on the mini-Xbox stuff from awhile back posting, "we were right" stories.

Jonnyram

The rumours so far are:

Xbox Petit
210x200x36.5mm
1.2kg
8 colour variations
32meg RAM
DVD only
Open price
Controller 1.5x bigger than previous controller (maybe US controller?)

acklame

Jonnyram said:
The rumours so far are:

Xbox Petit
210x200x36.5mm
1.2kg
8 colour variations
32meg RAM
DVD only
Open price

o_O

32mb ram? dvd only? what about the HDD? bigger controller? wtf?

Zuh ... none of those make any sense. You wouldn't be able to run any games on 32MB RAM and making the console smaller but the controller bigger ... again, that would be pretty stupid.

fugimax

Haha.

This is such bs.

Stop drooling for 5 sec. and think about the implications even if the above is completely true:

1. You now need to buy a memory card
2. Sorry, you can't d/l XBL extra content
3. Longer loading games. Games use HD for extensive caching (listen to Halo2 as you play it...I'm not even sure not caching could even work on xbox without severely affecting gameplay.)

There are many more implications, but this is enough.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, this can't be true if they're talking about 32mb of RAM. Or a controller 1.5x the size of the original. I'll make my xbox purchase in confidence that this isn't going to happen (at least not in the way they describe here).

Rhindle

I hear they also replaced the CPU with a hamster with an advanced degree in mathematics.

IT COULD BE TRUE YOU KNOW.

ninge

the cache partitions are completely transparent to game code. you don't have to do anything special to make use of it - the OS does that for you so i see no reason why it couldn't be removed with a simple OS tweak. Every game has to be able to cope with loading off the DVD only the first time it is played anyway (files are only cached the first time they are encountered) so it's not like you'd be losing anything but faster load times on subsequent plays.

Also 32mb of flash ram would be more than enough for game saves so you'd only be loosing the XBL content downloads.. no big thing for 80-90% of xbox owners as they don't have or want XBL..

Unless people are claiming that the new machine only has 32mb of main ram (totally impossible as all xbox games expect 64mb of RAM) I see no technical reason why this couldn't be true..

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Rhindle said:
I hear they also replaced the CPU with a hamster with an advanced degree in mathematics.

IT COULD BE TRUE YOU KNOW.

: ROFL

NO Chance of a mini box
M$ Would just be burning more cash!

Chittagong

Gold Member
bullshit.jpg

I'm quite happy with having the real thing. I can't imagine an Xbox without my MP3 collection on it. :D

Now, if they made a fully featured miniature Xbox, I'd be impressed and annoyed at the same time. (I'm still kind of annoyed by the Crystal Xbox coming out so soon after my purchase)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Jonnyram said:
The rumours so far are:

Xbox Petit
210x200x36.5mm
1.2kg
8 colour variations
32meg RAM
DVD only
Open price

Yeah, and tell me again how it would run XBox games?

Blackbird said:
they'd better put in a heatsink or something similar for that hamsters' sake then :-/

:lol :lol

I was going to make some crass joke about Microsoft finally getting the Hamtaro license from Nintendo to lure collegiate hamsters into considering careers running miniature Xbox consoles, but picturing Blackbird's statement is enough for me. :lol

neo2046

Jonnyram said:
I bought Famitsu and this is reported in a joke "Fake news" section. They made some nice mockups though :D
I see, the section is for celebrate the 832nd issue
Jonnyram, can you scan the page? :D

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Where would the massive PIII chip go. How would it be cooled?
Where do the *games* go?
This piece is a parody of the slimline PS2 announcement.*
*Perhaps...

8bit

Knows the Score
I'd like to see a better image of the fake controller. It looks massive in the bottom right corner of that scan.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Folder said:
Where would the massive PIII chip go. How would it be cooled?
Where do the *games* go?
This piece is a parody of the slimline PS2 announcement.*
*Perhaps...

Not to agree with the guy from Spong, but...I agree with the guy from Spong. Unless you're going to tell me that it can magically make all XBox games run with half the RAM, this thing is the fakest thing to ever fake.

snapty00

Banned
Why hasn't Microsoft made a smaller version yet? If there's one console that needed to be slimmed down, it was Xbox.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
snapty00 said:
Why hasn't Microsoft made a smaller version yet? If there's one console that needed to be slimmed down, it was Xbox.
Given the losses taken by the original, filling it full of laptop-sized bits and bobs wouldn't help the project's bottom line...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
neo2046 said:
maybe the spec is fake
but I heard that there is really a mini Xbox coming soon

up11393.jpg

Nice.. black and white mags are the rage here in Japan

Top Bottom