• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't get the downgraded comment. It looks better to me. I thought you could play in 1080 though. How do I force that?

I'll try the franchise thing, Blackace.

Core407

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I don't get the downgraded comment. It looks better to me. I thought you could play in 1080 though. How do I force that?

It looks a lot worse online, faces are harder to make out. Anyways, game is still badass.

gray_fox224

Musashi Wins! said:

On the XMB display settings, uncheck all resos except 1080P (you can't alter the 480P checkbox).

eznark

Banned
The Brewers are TERRRRRRIBLE. Hall had two throwing errors in two innings against the Cubs. I lost 3-1, Hall was responsible for all three runs. Gallardo and Bush are actually pretty good but Hoffman continues the long tradition of shitty closers in The Show franchise.

Also, the Yankees = Ken/Ryu. I played them twice in a row and kept getting matched up against them on the team select screen so I backed out every time. Took like 4 tries til I got a non-Yankees opponent.

ToddG15

Any user impressions on the Road to the Show over last year's iteration? Any different for better or for worse? I picked up MLB 08 last year and I'm debating if MLB 09 is 'different' enough to warrant a purchase.

Mrbob

Picked this up. Go time Mushashi and eznark. Go. Time.

I will also be taking on all comers with my cubbies. :D

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Picked this up. Go time Mushashi and eznark. Go. Time.

I will also be taking on all comers with my cubbies. :D

Just played the Cubs, almost got no hit by Zambrano. If you wanna play in the next ten minutes, get you ass online

eznark said:
The Brewers are TERRRRRRIBLE. Hall had two throwing errors in two innings against the Cubs. I lost 3-1, Hall was responsible for all three runs. Gallardo and Bush are actually pretty good but Hoffman continues the long tradition of shitty closers in The Show franchise.

Also, the Yankees = Ken/Ryu. I played them twice in a row and kept getting matched up against them on the team select screen so I backed out every time. Took like 4 tries til I got a non-Yankees opponent.

Sucks for us players who Live in NY and have been Yankee's fans all our lives. I try not to pick them online because of what you just said.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Blackace said:
so people doing franchises.. (can't wait to draft mine...) can you can the skipper?

I don't see a way to do this. Which is odd because your skipper and coaches have a statistical (minor) effect on players apparently.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Musashi Wins! said:
I don't see a way to do this. Which is odd because your skipper and coaches have a statistical (minor) effect on players apparently.

damn still......

players becoming skippers and bench coaches.. and skippers getting canned are the only things this series really needs..

Mrbob

Props to sony for the manual.

I know it won't have everything, but its 30 pages and in color.

Not your typical EA 5 page black and white manual.

_Angelus_

Banned
Just noodling with the game,trying out the modes,downloading the latest rosters,marveling at the new Yankee and Citi Field stadiums,wow. I'm about to start franchise and I just wanna know is there something I should know before going in? By that I mean can I download a roster update sometime next week and then insert it in my franchise? Any weird bugs to avoid? I really haven't played season or franchise because I've been doing pitching/hitting/base stealing,just basically doing my own Spring Training so to speak. Btw the game is pretty accurate,the inning after Wright knocked in two with a 2 out opposite field double he made a throwing error to Delgado as the ball sailed wide,thats the one thing he's gonna be known for as a legit weakness.

What setting are you guys playing on? I've left it on veteran but part of me wants to jack it to the next level since I hate that I'm playing on veteran,which is just above Rookie level,bleh...weak sauce. Should I go ahead and put it on All Star or is it unmerciful?
Just trying to get a feel for opinions before going into Franchise Mode.

eznark

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
Sucks for us players who Live in NY and have been Yankee's fans all our lives. I try not to pick them online because of what you just said.

I agree and I know it sucks, but playing three straight games against the Yankees gets lame, especially when I'm facing Sabathia in every game with my shitty Brewers. I'm hoping there are enough people on GAF that pick the game up so that I don't have to play against random people.

If you want to get a game and be the Yankees that's cool, I just need some variety. Even if people would just switch up their starters that'd be cool.

Wickerman

Angelus said:
Just noodling with the game,trying out the modes,downloading the latest rosters,marveling at the new Yankee and Citi Field stadiums,wow. I'm about to start franchise and I just wanna know is there something I should know before going in? By that I mean can I download a roster update sometime next week and then insert it in my franchise? Any weird bugs to avoid? I really haven't played season or franchise because I've been doing pitching/hitting/base stealing,just basically doing my own Spring Training so to speak. Btw the game is pretty accurate,the inning after Wright knocked in two with a 2 out opposite field double he made a throwing error to Delgado as the ball sailed wide,thats the one thing he's gonna be known for as a legit weakness.

What setting are you guys playing on? I've left it on veteran but part of me wants to jack it to the next level since I hate that I'm playing on veteran,which is just above Rookie level,bleh...weak sauce. Should I go ahead and put it on All Star or is it unmerciful?
Just trying to get a feel for opinions before going into Franchise Mode.

I'm going to start my franchise after they make a more accurate roster update.

Have you noticed how big the gaps at Citi Field seems to play?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I fucking love the baserunning training. *goes back to playing...uhh..I mean studying for test*

_Angelus_

Banned
Wickerman said:
I'm going to start my franchise after they make a more accurate roster update.

Have you noticed how big the gaps at Citi Field seems to play?

Towards mid center I've been having balls go into the power alley...yeah. I do like the dimensions of the walls overall,it can play for and against left and right handed hitters based on their pros and cons as a batter. The one thing I sorta already hate are the high walls out in left, as I had 2 hard hits bounce off the top of the left field walls. Those would have been sure bet home runs at Shea,Unless Endy were still patrolling out there,heh.)

It will be an adventure at Citi Field watching fielders chase down balls ricocheting off the walls.

Windu

the dimensions in Citi are bigger than shea right? I wonder if it will play bigger in real life. All depends on how the wind acts in that stadium I guess.

Windu

Here is a video of my RTTS character hitting a Walk off HR to win the game in the Bottom of the ninth for the Gwinnett Braves (AAA). Of course, my manager was later angry at me because I swung at the first pitch and didn't take a strike.

http://www.vimeo.com/3464865

And I guess if you have music playing in-game it records it in the video. Pretty cool. I had the music playing through the PA system.

_Angelus_

Banned
Windu said:
the dimensions in Citi are bigger than shea right? I wonder if it will play bigger in real life. All depends on how the wind acts in that stadium I guess.

Right center definitely is,not sure about the rest though. Some parts are just obstacle courses for outfielders,like having to deal with the walls in left. I know that dead center measures 408,whereas at Shea it was always 410. I need to see about the left and right field dimensions. Oh and outside of maybe 5 feet,there is also next to no foul territory down left the field line. They made this park with craziness in mind.:lol

I'm eager to get Chipper's opinions on the new field since he owned us at Shea so much.

bjscott05

Just went to Wal Mart to buy the PS3 version and the guy said it sold faster than Halo 3. Fuck living in a college town.

LevityNYC

Banned
Love that this game STILL does not run native 1080P. Does any PS3 game?

Its all upconverted. You can tell because unless you mark your display as only supporting 1080P, the game will run at 720P.

What the fuck?

Coop

bjscott05 said:
Just went to Wal Mart to buy the PS3 version and the guy said it sold faster than Halo 3. Fuck living in a college town.

I bought the last copy at Best Buy. Seems like they had a decent amount too.

btw, I hate the RTTS base running controls.

LevityNYC said:

Its all upconverted. You can tell because unless you mark your display as only supporting 1080P, the game will run at 720P.

What the fuck?

The biggest improvement to the game comes from MLB 09’s native 1080p support. The game runs at an uncompromised 1920×1080 native resolution with no AA. In this respect, it’s identical to the ‘08 game, but the key difference is that unlike the last game, MLB ‘09 displays a full 60 frames per second on the 1080p setting vs the 30fps of its predecessor. The ‘08 1080p mode had few other losses on visual effects such as depth of field, which is retained and improved in both 720p and 1080p modes on the new game.

http://www.digitalfoundry.org/blog/?p=407

That's the site that does Eurogamer's comparisons.

Lofid

Neo Member
I just played an online game with a friend. Every other pitch or so, it wouldn't let either of us set the power or accuracy. After one tap of X, the pitcher would just pitch. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if it's a lag thing, a bug, or some control thing we're both doing wrong.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Started a fielder for my RTTS guy, Quite different than pitching. You can really move up quick as a pitcher, but fielder/batter is a bit slower having to do more games. Oh well. Just hit a walk off single to win the game. :D

Wickerman

Windu said:

Code:
Citi Field                                          Shea

Left Field - 335                               Left Field - 338
Left Center - 379                              Left Center - 371
Center - 408                                   Center - 410
Right Center - 383                             Right Center - 371
Right Field - 330                              Right Field - 338

The nook in right field will definitely be a problem for outfielders.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LevityNYC said:

What the fuck?

If you look at the title screen, it says "this game has been optimized to run at 720P. For the best experience, please set your PS3 system to display at this resolution"

I am thinking they decided that alot more people have TVs capable of 720p than 1080p. So they made 720p the standard.

_Angelus_

Banned
Wickerman said:
Code:
Citi Field                                          Shea

Left Field - 335                               Left Field - 338
Left Center - 379                              Left Center - 371
Center - 408                                   Center - 410
Right Center - 383                             Right Center - 371
Right Field - 330                              Right Field - 338

The nook in right field will definitely be a problem for outfielders.

Wow,great find. I don't think its a coincidence that they shortened the right field porch for Mr. Wright who loves going opposite field. Right center is gonna be crazy.

Windu

Yeah it runs its best in 720p, but they improved a lot on 1080p. Last year I couldn't play it at that level at all, now it is much better.

shpankey

not an idiot
Windu said:
Yeah it runs its best in 720p, but they improved a lot on 1080p. Last year I couldn't play it at that level at all, now it is much better.
what is worse in 1080p this year? just curious.

Saiyu

Lofid said:
I just played an online game with a friend. Every other pitch or so, it wouldn't let either of us set the power or accuracy. After one tap of X, the pitcher would just pitch. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if it's a lag thing, a bug, or some control thing we're both doing wrong.

Were you guessing the pitch? If a guess is correct you can't set the power/accuracy (at least in 08, my copy comes tomorrow)

Ridli

I'm happy because I managed to pick up a copy tonight, but sad that I have to go to work early in the morning. Tomorrow night me and my D'Backs take the field :D

Mrbob

Beat the Brewers 4 to 1 in my first exhibition game. JJ hardy had two erros in the game which lead to all 4 of my runs. :lol

I saved some videos but you can't upload to youtube in game. Nor can you upload to youtube directly from ps3. I gotta go get a thumb drive. I thought PS3 games offered direct youtube uploads now...guess not!

HoTHiTTeR

I just had a similar game with the Mariners. Afterwards I got this message scrolling across my screen. :lol :lol

status.jpg

Jusr had an epic back and forth game with my brother. Yanks vs Sox, tied 6-6 with 2 outs and I hit a walkoff grand slam by Arod :D

The awesome part of it all was getting 3 trophies just by that 1 grand slam haha. I was surprised when they popped up because I hadn't looked at any of the trophy requirements beforehand.

Core407

Banned
Does anyone else have issues hitting in the game? My average is .158 but I put up 3.35 runs a game with 1.67 homeruns. Seems like the only hit I can get is a homerun. Gauging pitch speed is really tough in this version. Do you guys use the analog stick for location hitting or just let it sit dead center?

If you do the custom sounds will the sounds still be there if you download a roster? (Either SCEA or roster vault)

That is gonna be the make or break for me.

Nope. The audio cues are attached to the roster file. So, if you update your rosters, you'll have to re-add every custom song. They should have found a way to make the custom playlist be independent of what team a particular player is on. And if a player gets removed/added as the season goes on, just remove/add him from the overall pool of players. That fact added to the 240 song limit really hurts how useful this feature even is.
FUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKK.

eznark

Banned
Fuck you all beating on the Brewers. Go to hell.

I played like 30 minutes of RTTS on PSP last night, it's pretty good. It doesn't look a ton better than last year, still no umps or graphical frills but the game play is solid. I didn't play anything else but did look at the options. Ad hoc and infrastructure multiplayer, I was able to log on to look for multi games but didn't bother to play one.

Based on a half hour I'd say it is definitely worth it if it's your only option or if you travel a lot.

lionelhutz

For those that have played online I have a few questions:

- Does it support voice chat?

- How is the lag during pitching, fielding, and right after a hit?

'08 was almost unplayable sometimes because of lag and even with the patches never seemed to be as smooth as it should have. These are the only things preventing me from getting this ASAP.

Top Bottom