• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
dskillzhtown said:
Again, if it is optimized for 720p, I am thinking changing it to 1080p wouldn't make it more awesome. If anything it would make flaws more visible.

It looks pretty awesome. With the same framerate. I've only noticed a few very small irritations. Granted I'm still new with the game.

Mrbob said:
I was under the impression 1080p runs just as well but with no AA.

This makes sense given the sorts of things that sometime stand out.

shpankey

not an idiot
dskillzhtown said:
Again, if it is optimized for 720p, I am thinking changing it to 1080p wouldn't make it more awesome. If anything it would make flaws more visible.
yes, but someone above said that it was basically just as good as 720p, even stays 60fps, so why not go ahead and take the resolution if you can? i think the only thing it lacks is AA (?) which is made up for a bit with the increase in res.

tapedeck, you might try messing with the sliders a bit. you can probably correct that catcher thing fairly easily.

Captain N

Musashi Wins! said:
what?

I think the passed ball thing is misjudging the break on low breaking pitches. You just can't see it hitting in front of the catcher well enough. At least I refuse to believe that Laird is some sort of super catcher.

It says..

Manager Says
Double play

And there's a countdown before the play starts.

Ovid

Wickerman said:
Code:
Citi Field                                          Shea

Left Field - 335                               Left Field - 338
Left Center - 379                              Left Center - 371
Center - 408                                   Center - 410
Right Center - 383                             Right Center - 371
Right Field - 330                              Right Field - 338

The nook in right field will definitely be a problem for outfielders.
Oh boy

shpankey

not an idiot
Captain N said:
It says..

Manager Says
Double play

what the heck? weird.

On the auto subject. The only thing I set to auto was base running, just b/c I hate the system they have. is it really so hard to get a workable base running in a baseball game? just make it simple. use the d-pad. press up to go to 2nd, left to 3rd, down to home. or if you wanted a bit more advanced, push right to select 1st base runner, then up to send him to 2nd, left to 3rd, down to home. same for the others. push up to select 2nd base base runner and then left or down to 3rd or home.

Macattk15

Captain N said:
I was wonder...why can't you throw left handed if your on 2nd base.

You mean why left handed throwing players do not play 2nd base? I believe it's because the majority of plays a 2nd baseman will make through the course of the season are to First base. The base is on the same side relative to your throwing arm.

So basically you'd have to field a ball, stop, turn so that you are facing the bag you are throwing to and throw the ball. This would be an extra amount of time that would be unfavorable over a right handed person who can simply just field the ball and throw it on the move.

Captain N said:
It says..

Manager Says
Double play

Sounds like you're playing RTTS in the infield. I think what they want you to do is get into position to field a double play...I think they circle the spot you're supposed to stand in. Just get there before the counter stops (I don't know what they do if you don't).

Macattk15

Captain N said:
It says..

Manager Says
Double play

Are you doing fielding training or something? That would never happen in a game ... if there is a runner on first and it's telling you to do this ... whatever fielder it is hit to ... minus possibly the first baseman .... you push Triangle and then Circle.

This will make the fielder throw to whoever is covering at 2nd to get the 1st out there and then throw it over to First to complete the double play.

Famicom said:
Perhaps it's silly of me to ask, but this is something that's been bugging me since MLB08. Is the yellow line in the pitching meter supposed to be the "sweet spot" for release point? Because I swear the ball never locates itself properly 90% of the time I hit that. I feel like I get better accuracy releasing just before or after it. It seems like when I hit it my pitch gets more movement, which is nice and all, but not when I'm aiming for corner strikes.

Could it be a pitch confidence or pitch quality issue (which would mean almost no guarantee of hitting a perfect spot when needed)?

I'm having this same issue as well. I pitch the ball so that I think it will end up exactly where the CPU tells me to throw it and somehow it ends up sitting right over the plate as a nice juicy fastball for the opposing team to slam out of the park. I must be doing something wrong...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Stormwatch said:
I'm having this same issue as well. I pitch the ball so that I think it will end up exactly where the CPU tells me to throw it and somehow it ends up sitting right over the plate as a nice juicy fastball for the opposing team to slam out of the park. I must be doing something wrong...

There's a lot of factors in play. The break, the speed and the quality of the pitcher. I was pitching with the Tigers 5th starter last night, and even when I could start to groove on the first two, his own weaknesses came out with some pitches and left fat meat that got pounded. I think that's appropriate, imo, but also something you can mess with sliders to adjust.

In RTTS mode, I don't like how it reverses the fielding controls to where you have to throw relative (button wise) to the base rather than simply staying with the same assignments. The announcer even mocked me for accidentally throwing a routine groundout to 3rd. He said, "What's wrong with this guy, it's like he's playing ball with a mirror."

I was pitching as Johan Santana in the first inning, first batter. Even though I hit the top of the arch and then the yellow line again the ball seemed to go all over the place.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Stormwatch said:
I was pitching as Johan Santana in the first inning, first batter. Even though I hit the top of the arch and then the yellow line again the ball seemed to go all over the place.

Hmm. I don't know. There is a slider for that though I believe.

I will say this though as an explanation of how I use the pitch meter, whether this is correct or not I can't say but I get good results from it.

I see the meter as a scale of "oomph" or effort, and while no one wants to groove a 70mph fastball, neither do all pitches require maximum effort. The goal is not to max out the velocity, merely to decide what is appropriate to that pitch in that situation. For example, a breaking ball often does not require the top of the meter because the idea is to maximize break or finesse. Maximum velocity will increase that break sometimes, but throwing a curveball as hard as you can is unnecessary to the pitch. Also, slightly missing the top of the meter will cause a drastic fluctuation in your control.

Also, maximizing the meter uses up the endurance of your pitcher faster. If you are grooving every pitch in as hard as you can, you can chart the fast deterioration of his arm in the game. Hit select and watch his ENG dissipate.

So, when I am challenging a hitter with a fastball in the upper zone, speed and power are necessary. A throwaway fast ball with 2 strikes to shake him up out of the zone? Full meter not necessary. My great 2nd pitch curveball? Full meter is not necessary. Your playing a game of conservation along with control.

I believe it is slightly harder this year too, but only in that Veteran out of the box last year was pinpoint control all the time.

Musashi Wins! said:
Hmm. I don't know. There is a slider for that though I believe.

It probably correlates to the pitcher's control as well. Even though Santana has impeccable control, there will still be times you hit the spot on the meter and still miss albeit very rare for most great pitchers.

Pitching for the most part is too easy (until the CPU finds BS ways to make comebacks at the end of the game) so I'm glad it's a bit harder this year than it was last. Hardly noticable unless you played a ton last year.

_Angelus_

Banned
shpankey said:
what the heck? weird.

On the auto subject. The only thing I set to auto was base running, just b/c I hate the system they have. is it really so hard to get a workable base running in a baseball game? just make it simple. use the d-pad. press up to go to 2nd, left to 3rd, down to home. or if you wanted a bit more advanced, push right to select 1st base runner, then up to send him to 2nd, left to 3rd, down to home. same for the others. push up to select 2nd base base runner and then left or down to 3rd or home.

Can't stand that sports games try to reinvent the wheel at times. I use"basic" for hitting,pitching,running. It feels so unnecessary to go through such junk button combinations just to perform the same tasks a couple hundred times per game. Its like Steve Trascleling a game,"the human rain delay" so to speak,a real boring/tedious way to play sports games,

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Angelus said:
Can't stand that sports games try to reinvent the wheel at times. I use"basic" for hitting,pitching,running. It feels so unnecesary to go through such junk button combinations just to perform the same tasks a couple hundred times er game.

I can understand that, but as I try to explain above, it does remove a level of the game that I enjoy :)

I don't see the problem with the classic baserunning. Relatively simple. Press the button the corresponds to the base and the dpad to which base you want to run to. If you just use the dpad alone, multiple runners would make it kind of screwy to where you wanna run to.

_Angelus_

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I can understand that, but as I try to explain above, it does remove a level of the game that I enjoy :)

The pitching meter is fun I must admit,having to go through that exercise every pitch though just blows my mind. I'm way too old school,RBI baseball still pulls me in to this day with its simplicity,heh.

Has anyone tried the sounds of the show custom walkup music? How can I make it sound like it's coming from the PA speakers and not just play normally? I thought you could do that but I can't find any option to switch to PA.

edit: Nvm it sounds good now.

shpankey

not an idiot
Jazzy Network said:
I don't see the problem with the classic baserunning. Relatively simple. Press the button the corresponds to the base and the dpad to which base you want to run to. If you just use the dpad alone, multiple runners would make it kind of screwy to where you wanna run to.
not really.. you just do the same thing but just on the d-pad. push right to select 1st base-runner, then press d-pad up to send him to 2nd. left to send to 3rd. there's no reason to use the buttons AND the d-pad. it just makes it more cumbersome.

once a ball was hit, lets say i have someone on 1st and 2nd. i hit it to the right field corner. i press up to grab the runner on 2nd, press down to send him home. then i press right to grab the guy who was on first (probably close to 2nd by now but it shouldn't matter where he is when i select it, but where he was) and press left to send him to 3rd.

shpankey said:
not really.. you just do the same thing but just on the d-pad. push right to select 1st base-runner, then press d-pad up to send him to 2nd. left to send to 3rd. there's no reason to use the buttons AND the d-pad. it just makes it more cumbersome.

once a ball was hit, lets say i have someone on 1st and 2nd. i hit it to the right field corner. i press up to grab the runner on 2nd, press down to send him home. then i press right to grab the guy who was on first (probably close to 2nd by now but it shouldn't matter where he is when i select it, but where he was) and press left to send him to 3rd.

I could easily see how you could screw that up just as easily. If I screw up and he's in between bases, then wtf do I press?

shpankey

not an idiot
criesofthepast said:
Has anyone tried the sounds of the show custom walkup music? How can I make it sound like it's coming from the PA speakers and not just play normally? I thought you could do that but I can't find any option to switch to PA.

edit: Nvm it sounds good now.
how'd you do it? gonna do this tonight.

shpankey

not an idiot
Jazzy Network said:
I could easily see how you could screw that up just as easily. If I screw up and he's in between bases, then wtf do I press?
just him? L1 and R1 as it is now (well in 08) is used to advance/go back quickly. what i was talking about is how to send specific players to specific bases quickly. the "quick back and forth" method's of the bumpers would remain in place for just that.

if you have multiple runners on bases, i would probably implement a comination of the two, something very logical and easy. my idea would be to use the d-pad to "select" the base-runner, and instead of hitting the d-pad a second time to send him to a specific base, use the bumper's to advance/retreat quickly. so lets say you have a runner on 3rd and a guy stuck between 1st and 2nd... you hit right on the d-pad to select the runner and then L1 and R1 to go forward/back.

very simple. very logical, very easy and most important... QUICK.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Angelus said:
The pitching meter is fun I must admit,having to go through that exercise every pitch though just blows my mind. I'm way too old school,RBI baseball still pulls me in to this day with its simplicity,heh.

I understand. The Baseball Stars arcade games are still among my favorites. I guess this is just that release that I like to dig into like people do with other titles. I like guessing pitches, I like thinking about how to approach the game or the hitter. And there are definitely players who outclass me on every level of this game. I get a lot out of it every year, I guess that's why I like it so much.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
hmm, I guess the official roster update is still messed up. SCEA said they are working on it. I downloaded the most popular one off of the Roster Vault though (Rebel something.) Its decent.

Oh and btw, its in the OP, but some people probably missed it. Operation Sports has a thread going about the Sound Files. Operation Sports - Batter Intro Music Files (and much more). Also, they updated the Playstation Blog with this:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...-baseball-game-ever-hits-store-shelves-today/

oh and apparently there is a bug with Cubs home games. All of them are night games except for Sunday games. Pretty funny. :lol

edit: I have noticed one problem already with the Braves uniforms though. With their Dark Blue Alternate Away jerseys, they wear the Cap for their Sunday Home Game Jerseys instead of the all Navy Cap with the "A".

shpankey

not an idiot
Windu said:
oh and apparently there is a bug with Cubs home games. All of them are night games except for Sunday games. Pretty funny. :lol
DAMN! That's my team lol. Pretty ironic since they usually play more day games than any other team in the MLB. lol

shpankey said:
I'd honestly love to hear the answer to this too. It wasn't broken in fact is was basically flawless. I would kill for the ability to make it bat like 08... even though I'm sure I will eventually [begrudgingly] get used to it.

I wouldn't call '08 flawless. For one there were too many oppo field hits, not enough doubles in the gaps or down the lines. It was also too easy to make contact on harder difficulty levels for a lot of players.

They sped up bat speed so users could let the ball get a little further in the zone and still pull the ball. But they also made plate coverage and timing more important on the harder difficulties. In '08 you could get away with not fully squaring up a ball on the black and often still drive the thing, particularly on the outer half (hence oppo field imbalance). '09 seems a lot less forgiving in that regard, especially on HoF/Legend. Also they talked about several tweaks to the AI and how attributes effect the batter/pitcher matchup.

I can't really argue with the changes they've made. Its a deeper sim for it. The difficulty is a bit wider now though, and I think its throwing off a lot of folks coming from '08 assuming they can go right up to HoF and such.

Wickerman

Windu said:
Oh and btw, its in the OP, but some people probably missed it. Operation Sports has a thread going about the Sound Files. Operation Sports - Batter Intro Music Files (and much more).

I really hate how the sound clips abruptly cut out during the walk-up. I'm still using them because I don't have the patience to create my own. :lol

Is it me or has the check swing been eliminated during online play?

Windu

Oh and someone was asking about making music play in through the PA system during your game. Just go to Audio/Video in the Gameplay settings when you pause the game. Select Music Reverb to ON. It I guess you need Music Mode ON as well to listen to it.
Wickerman said:
I really hate how the sound clips abruptly cut out during the walk-up. I'm still using them because I don't have the patience to create my own. :lol

Is it me or has the check swing been eliminated during online play?
yeah it seems like they didn't make the files long enough and some of the files submitted people didn't make it fade out. It just cuts off.

clemenx

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I can't really argue with the changes they've made. Its a deeper sim for it. The difficulty is a bit wider now though, and I think its throwing off a lot of folks coming from '08 assuming they can go right up to HoF and such.
True, on 08 i had constant blowouts on HOF difficulty, I'm playing on Veteran now on 09 and I'm having trouble winning.

Can't say is a bad thing though. To still have challenge with basically the game I have played eveyday for a year is priceless.

shpankey

not an idiot
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I wouldn't call '08 flawless. For one there were too many oppo field hits, not enough doubles in the gaps or down the lines. It was also too easy to make contact on harder difficulty levels for a lot of players.

They sped up bat speed so users could let the ball get a little further in the zone and still pull the ball. But they also made plate coverage and timing more important on the harder difficulties. In '08 you could get away with not fully squaring up a ball on the black and often still drive the thing, particularly on the outer half (hence oppo field imbalance). '09 seems a lot less forgiving in that regard, especially on HoF/Legend. Also they talked about several tweaks to the AI and how attributes effect the batter/pitcher matchup.

yeah, you're right i suppose. I'm just so slow to accept change! lol especially when you play a game sooo much that it's just like instinct, then my reflexes keep messing me up. like muscle memory or something. heh.

when i adapt i will be loving it and wonder how i ever doubted it. ;)

Vargas

Does the HUD randomly go away for anyone else? It shows up again if I press start but I just found that a bit weird.

Stormwatch said:

Its not about hitting perfect spots anymore its about command on pitches, it was a subtle change they made to the pitching mechanic because people complained about how easy it was to hit spots. So if he's not hitting his spots, try a different location when you pitch with that same pitch.

shpankey said:
yeah, you're right i suppose. I'm just so slow to accept change! lol especially when you play a game sooo much that it's just like instinct, then my reflexes keep messing me up. like muscle memory or something. heh.

when i adapt i will be loving it and wonder how i ever doubted it. ;)

Oh yeah I hear ya, played the hell out of the demo and it was several games before I started coming around a bit. I just love the way the ball comes off the bat now. The correlation between the hit variety and your timing/plate coverage seems better than ever. But it is significantly harder to get good wood on the ball. Legend is brutal.

gluv65 said:
Its not about hitting perfect spots anymore its about command on pitches, it was a subtle change they made to the pitching mechanic because people complained about how easy it was to hit spots. So if he's not hitting his spots, try a different location when you pitch with that same pitch.

So, for example, if I notice that he is having trouble with the low inside pitch I should try a high outside pitch instead?

Stormwatch said:
So, for example, if I notice that he is having trouble with the low inside pitch I should try a high outside pitch instead?

No, not neccessarily instead of trying that same spot for each pitch, raise it a little bit, also look at his confidence in the pitch(the little blue bar above the pitch types) find locations that he's comfortable with and you'll start hitting your spots a little better.

Wickerman

Forget what I said about check swings. I just played a lag-free game and the check swing was indeed still in the online game.

shpankey said:
how'd you do it? gonna do this tonight.
Honestly, when you try it out let me know how it sounds to you. It still sounds way too loud to me like it's drowning out the commentators introduction of the batter. I thought it sounded better for a second but it doesn't. The default intro music is the way it should sound but adding custom music just raises the volume tenfold.

To add custom batter music, cheers, jeers etc - go to options, sounds of the show, edit players.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm having a harder time getting check swings in the regular game. Maybe it's the DS3 controller I use now.

Also, in relation to that, I'm not sure how much I like having rumble in pitching. It discourages you from throwing balls when pitching. And sometimes you really should. Maybe that's just me :)

Windu

here is a video of my RTTS character scoring from first on a single up the middle....lol. The catcher needs to learn how to tag. And if you noticed I was ready to stop when I got to third, didn't think the 3rd base coach would wave me in.

http://www.vimeo.com/3477042

The back of the case says the game supports DTS but when I play it the game runs in DD 5.1. I can't find anywhere in the game to change this.

Mrbob

Ok this is my first attempt at capturing and posting videos, so cut me some slack! :lol

Nothing major, but some highlights during my Cubs/Brewers game! All for eznark!

First one was Fielder grounding into an inning ending 3-6-1 double play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoWnd6Wqss

Second one is Fielder getting some payback. He robbed Bradley on a shot down the line which would have scored a run. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzlyWVirgY4

The next two are the JJ Hardy specials. His first boot in the second which lead to my first run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BkMBjgHYSw

Here is part two!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ezdAJNszQo

Tied at 1-1 in the seventh, and his missed play cost the brewers a shot. I tacked some hits together with two outs and scored 3 runs leading to my 4-1 victory! Thank you JJ!

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm having a harder time getting check swings in the regular game. Maybe it's the DS3 controller I use now.

Also, in relation to that, I'm not sure how much I like having rumble in pitching. It discourages you from throwing balls when pitching. And sometimes you really should. Maybe that's just me :)

I like to play with the pitch cursor off and just use the rumble to feel out the zone. If I want to expand the zone I just edge up to the first bit of feedback and gauge trajectory from there. Bit of a challenge with anything back door on the corners though.

Top Bottom