• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

gray_fox224

Windu said:
yeah thats in the OP.

Damn, I could go get this game in 30 min. But I know I will stay up all night and have like a hour of sleep before I have to wake up super early and go to a class that I can't miss. This fucking sucks. :(

I hear you. I'm in the same predicament.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Windu said:
2motfyp.jpg
:D Mauer is love. <3

Shinjiru

DoctorWho said:
Play with some of the hitting sliders on all-star and find something you like.
Yeah, I haven't messed with any of the sliders as of yet, but probably will tomorrow. Played a handful of RTTS games and I am still just swinging away at everything.

Coop said:
I don't want to sound like a troll, but I really feel sorry for 360 only gamers. I just got done playing the 2k9 demo it's horrible. I like some parts like the presentation but that's about it. Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow
Graphically 2k9 is outclassed by The Show, but there are some things visually that I like about it too. For example: I like the activity in the dugouts and bullpens in 2k9 more than in The Show.

HoTHiTTeR

MLB GET!!!!

Thank you halo wars for coming out on the same day so Gamestop could do a midnight launch. :lol I wasn't the only one there for MLB, not halo wars, either :lol

mlb09.jpg

ntb825

I decided to stick with the PS3 version over the PSP version.

I played my first game earlier today and it was pretty epic. Played as the Cubs, and gave up 6 runs in the 1st inning. By the 6th inning, I was leading 9-7. The whole game was a home run fest.

I ended up losing 10-9 in the 10th.

Game is unbelievable though. This game is the only reason i've kept my PS3 up until now and it would seem I made the right decision :D

alanias

ntb825 said:
I decided to stick with the PS3 version over the PSP version.

I played my first game earlier today and it was pretty epic. Played as the Cubs, and gave up 6 runs in the 1st inning. By the 6th inning, I was leading 9-7. The whole game was a home run fest.

I ended up losing 10-9 in the 10th.

Game is unbelievable though. This game is the only reason i've kept my PS3 up until now and it would seem I made the right decision :D

Are games typically a home run fest, or is there a lot of singles driving in runs?

alanias said:
Are games typically a home run fest, or is there a lot of singles driving in runs?

My games on all-star have been interesting. I haven't hit many home runs but I find the CPU is starting hit more than average. Might be something to note when tweaking sliders.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
alanias said:

It's the most balanced game out there in how you score runs. It's as unpredictable as the real thing sometimes.

Picking mine up tonight. Hype setting in right now.

Core407

Banned
Heads up to anyone buying this game, check Kmart! I got it for $39.99 and they said it wasn't a misprint. No idea if other stores have it for the same price or $60. Either way, I saved $20 and my new PS3 was on the kitchen counter when I got home. :D

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
gray_fox224 said:
Windu, did you get yours?
yeah, messing around with it right now, great so far. Can't play much today though, big test tomorrow. I wish this game came out last week so I would at least have time to play it the first couple of days.

Core407 said:
Heads up to anyone buying this game, check Kmart! I got it for $39.99 and they said it wasn't a misprint. No idea if other stores have it for the same price or $60. Either way, I saved $20 and my new PS3 was on the kitchen counter when I got home. :D

Sounds like that was supposed to be the PS2 price.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
btw, does anyone else hate how wal-mart keeps their console games locked up? I feel like a little kid when I have to get ask them to unlock it for me. And they don't even lock up PC games or movies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Blackace said:
My Play-asia order just shipped as well.

Franchise question! Can you fire managers yet???

Any answers?

bjscott05

Windu said:
btw, does anyone else hate how wal-mart keeps their console games locked up? I feel like a little kid when I have to get ask them to unlock it for me. And they don't even lock up PC games or movies.
Yeah, I know how you feel. It's like "HEY MISTER! Can I get that game?"

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I just played one exhibition game. Tigers defeat Mets 6-4. Back and forth match without much hope until we scrubbed Santana in one rough inning. Pretty much one of the most satisfying opening games I've ever played.

So, now that Jesus is apparently making exclusive games for PS3, how will that effect the console warz?

Seriously, some of these small touches are amazing. I love the post game highlights! There's a lot of small stuff to dig into, it's going to take awhile to form a better feel. I look forward to maybe starting a franchise today.

Kingpen

How long does it take to play a complete 9 inning game? I have not played a baseball game since Bases Loaded on the NES and Ken Griffey Jr on the SNES...

I am into exploring top notch exclusives on systems I own, and having just got a PS3 I'm slightly tuned into this one.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Kingpen said:
How long does it take to play a complete 9 inning game? I have not played a baseball game since Bases Loaded on the NES and Ken Griffey Jr on the SNES...

I am into exploring top notch exclusives on systems I own, and having just got a PS3 I'm slightly tuned into this one.

Hard to say. You can option down a lot of the presentation or button press through it or fast forward from any point to any point in the game. I just had a very long one because I wanted to enjoy it all. So...very fast, to very long :)

I downloaded the latest roster update but it doesn't look like there are any changes? Griffey is still a free agent.

gray_fox224 said:
OMG, I love the play by play snippets in between the music. I'm getting goosebumps hearing them.

i get rid of the music and just have the play by play

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YESSS
THE WHITE SOX WIN 6-4 YESSSSS

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DoctorWho said:
I downloaded the latest roster update but it doesn't look like there are any changes? Griffey is still a free agent.

There are changes, it tells you in the list, but that isn't one. Also, use the Roster Vault to find rabid fan rosters that are completely up to date with updated rotations, etc.

Wickerman

NewEgg is so awesome.

Pre-ordered MLB 09 last week figuring I'd save about $10 when factoring in sales tax and free 3-day shipping.

I expected to receive the game at least by Friday but UPS just delivered it. :D

Mrbob

Hopefully I can get this later tonight. If not, tommorrow!

alanias said:

Well, small ball is overrated. If you like at quality offensive teams over the years, most of them crank the ball out of the park on a good clip. The Minnesota Twins are a pretty unique team in this respect. Most great small ball teams still have guys who can launch the ball.

gray_fox224

DoctorWho said:

Yeah, for some reason the roster does not load up. A SCEA SD rep posted on Operation Sports that they are currently working to fix it.

Anywoo, I have to say the crowd sounds this year are the best I've ever heard in a baseball game. As it hit a line drive, the roar of the crowd got me so excited...too bad it was a line drive to the third baseman...

Mrbob

Eh, who cares. I would be shocked if the review is halfway competent.

Never trust the big sites on sports game reviews. Ever.

Time to post your fantasy franchise teams!

C: Brian McCann
1B: Nick Johnson (injured in game 3 :()
2B: Freddy Sanchez
3B: Garret Atkins
SS: Hanley Ramirez (traded my first pick Reyes for him)
LF: Ken Griffey Jr.
CF: Aaron Rowand
RF: Michael Cuddyer

SP: Dan Haren
SP: Aaron Harang (traded for)
SP: Rich Hill
SP: Zach Duke
SP: Jeff Suppan
CP: Huston Street

HoTHiTTeR

Anyone else playing the PSP version too? How do I look at my swing info? The icon doesn't resemble any button on the psp lol. help!

Just picked up my copy. Playing a season with the jays is going to be painful because I have to look at that god awful turf for 82 games. Also, whats with the baselines looking like a bunch of broken lines when you are pitching/batting? Anyone else see that or know what i'm talking about? Going from 07' to 09' is godly, loving it so far.

Blackace

so people doing franchises.. (can't wait to draft mine...) can you can the skipper?

Blackace

Core407 said:
The graphics look like they're downgraded when playing alone. Too bad the lag isn't downgraded.

how so?

Top Bottom