• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

eznark

Banned
I played three almost totally lag free games. I also had one that stopped and flashed something about heavy traffic and picked up like a minute later but the dude quit.

Voice chat is supposedly press L3 again according to an operationsports.com poster, but I didn't try it out. I did get a few on-screen messages from an opponent, but I have no idea how he did it.

So far, online is much much better than 08 and voice is identical.

Runus

Just got this yesterday after many years of not owning a baseball game. Needless to say, I suck. :lol I got pretty decent at pitching after a couple of hours, but I am having a really hard time hitting the ball. Every once in a while I get a decent inning, but man I suck. I am pretty new to these boards, but if anyone wants to add me and play some time my PSN is Runus. And you will probably win. :D

Macattk15

eznark said:
I played three almost totally lag free games. I also had one that stopped and flashed something about heavy traffic and picked up like a minute later but the dude quit.

Voice chat is supposedly press L3 again according to an operationsports.com poster, but I didn't try it out. I did get a few on-screen messages from an opponent, but I have no idea how he did it.

I'll see if I can get on and play you tonight, some Mariners vs. Brewers action. You messaged me just before dinner and I was in the middle of being trounced by the Twins in my season haha.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I got to play this a little (offline) last night. Other than the spelling error in one of the menus ("no stauts updates available"), this seems like the real deal. Hopefully, i can get online tonight and play a few games....

eznark

Banned
Macattk15 said:
I'll see if I can get on and play you tonight, some Mariners vs. Brewers action. You messaged me just before dinner and I was in the middle of being trounced by the Twins in my season haha.

King Felix going down.

shpankey

not an idiot
I get the game today (yay for early b-day presents... puppy dog sad eyes to the wifer and booyah. score!!). today will be a long day at work. lol

p.s. Anyone come up with some good starter sliders yet? Much appreciated! Can't wait! :D

shpankey

not an idiot
Runus said:
Just got this yesterday after many years of not owning a baseball game. Needless to say, I suck. :lol I got pretty decent at pitching after a couple of hours, but I am having a really hard time hitting the ball. Every once in a while I get a decent inning, but man I suck. I am pretty new to these boards, but if anyone wants to add me and play some time my PSN is Runus. And you will probably win. :D

Heh, don't sweat it... even long-timers like me are struggling with hitting. It will get better w/ time and as I adapt, I know this. I'm sometimes just slow to adapt b/c I've put so much time in with something one way, that it is BURNED into my reflexes (speaking about the faster bat speed here)... so it will take awhile for me but I'll get there so will you b/c the game is amazing so you'll endure the learning curve! ;)

Hit me up tonight. PSN: shpankey and we can play and I'll try to help you out on the game on what i know. we can do ranked or unranked or whatever, stuff like that doesn't ever concern me. i just like having a good game with cool people. there are some really awesome sports gamers on GAF who are amazing to play with... people like DM and FMT are fucking amazing to play online with. i remember one time FMT spending about 2 hours playing me in football and teaching me so much amazing shit, literally step by step, saying stuff like: "ok, call this formation, now do this on the controller, see how the guy drops back in coverage, see how if you do this he presses, this is how to slide protect, etc etc etc" ... i couldn't even believe the games were THAT deep and he did all this just b/c.

welcome aboard gaf btw. always good to get more sports gamers here. :D

Core407

Banned
eznark said:

Plug a USB keyboard into the PS3, when in-game, just type and the chat box will pop up and fade away after a couple seconds.

eznark

Banned
Core407 said:
Plug a USB keyboard into the PS3, when in-game, just type and the chat box will pop up and fade away after a couple seconds.

ahh, does that work with the chat pad as well?

Anyone try voice out, is it any better?

Runus

shpankey said:
Heh, don't sweat it... even long-timers like me are struggling with hitting. It will get better w/ time and as I adapt, I know this. I'm sometimes just slow to adapt b/c I've put so much time in with something one way, that it is BURNED into my reflexes (speaking about the faster bat speed here)... so it will take awhile for me but I'll get there so will you b/c the game is amazing so you'll endure the learning curve! ;)

Hit me up tonight. PSN: shpankey and we can play and I'll try to help you out on the game on what i know. we can do ranked or unranked or whatever, stuff like that doesn't ever concern me. i just like having a good game with cool people. there are some really awesome sports gamers on GAF who are amazing to play with... people like DM and FMT are fucking amazing to play online with. i remember one time FMT spending about 2 hours playing me in football and teaching me so much amazing shit, literally step by step, saying stuff like: "ok, call this formation, now do this on the controller, see how the guy drops back in coverage, see how if you do this he presses, this is how to slide protect, etc etc etc" ... i couldn't even believe the games were THAT deep and he did all this just b/c.

welcome aboard gaf btw. always good to get more sports gamers here.

Awesome, I would appreciate that. I think the last game realistic baseball sim I played was on the original Xbox so I could probably use the help. I played the Bigs, but that was more arcade baseball fun.

Not sure if I will be around tonight, but I should be around Thursday night.

Core407 said:

I should buy a cheap usb keyboard for this. I don't have a headset for my ps3. Although I do have the Eye thing so I guess I could use that.

eznark

Banned
Runus (or anyone else who is struggling for that matter) if you want to play a strikes-only game just to get your timing down and becoming comfortable with the controls and stuff let me know. I'd be down for a couple 15-12 games if it means more people are going to stick with the game in the long run.

Alright, this game is the cat's pajama's, but I have one quirk about it. (user error?)

Maybe I haven't played mlb for a while, but is anyone finding trouble pitching? Whenever I hold back, the marker in the meter goes way too fast for me to try and place it in the accuracy range (That shaded white spot.) I either push it too soon or way too late.

It's getting to the point where I'm pretty much guessing after I hold down and hope it lands in that area. It seems like there is a delay when I aim it. I dunno. Did they change the timing of it at all this year? Or is it just my lack of quick-reflexes?

bryehn

Started the PSP version last night. Not nearly as impressive as it used to be, but still fun.

Just got my PS3 copy in the mail, will be playing all day.

PSN: bryehn

I'm in Ottawa (EST). Not sure if I'll go online right away, but feel free to add me.

I really wish there was PSP - PS3 save compatibility. I tend to play RTTS on PSP and season/franchise on PS3, but I'd love to be able to swap my progress back and forth. If EA can pull it off with Madden, surely Sony Santa Monica can too.

eznark

Banned
bryehn said:
Started the PSP version last night. Not nearly as impressive as it used to be, but still fun.

Just got my PS3 copy in the mail, will be playing all day.

PSN: bryehn

I'm in Ottawa (EST). Not sure if I'll go online right away, but feel free to add me.

I really wish there was PSP - PS3 save compatibility. I tend to play RTTS on PSP and season/franchise on PS3, but I'd love to be able to swap my progress back and forth. If EA can pull it off with Madden, surely Sony Santa Monica can too.

Been harping on that for two years, man. That would be so awesome (and since it would just be copying stats, it doesn't seem that technically daunting).

clemenx

Banned
pizzaguysrevenge said:
It's pretty much identical to 08.
Yep, the major change is the improvement on the framerate, I'm late on every fucking fastball :lol
But at least it looks like they improved the defense witch was the only thing i really needed. And glad they added an extra d difficulty, i dominated HOF on 08

It seems like they didn't add the training drills on PSP :( only thing i'm mad at, i don't like RTTS with those training points

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
eznark said:
Been harping on that for two years, man. That would be so awesome (and since it would just be copying stats, it doesn't seem that technically daunting).
The devs said it actually is quite hard, (something about trying to get over the PSP memory limitations), but they said they are working on it and would love to have it in the game.

Mrbob

Hasenfeffer said:
Alright, this game is the cat's pajama's, but I have one quirk about it. (user error?)

Maybe I haven't played mlb for a while, but is anyone finding trouble pitching? Whenever I hold back, the marker in the meter goes way too fast for me to try and place it in the accuracy range (That shaded white spot.) I either push it too soon or way too late.

It's getting to the point where I'm pretty much guessing after I hold down and hope it lands in that area. It seems like there is a delay when I aim it. I dunno. Did they change the timing of it at all this year? Or is it just my lack of quick-reflexes?

I think you are onto something. Memory could be fading for me, but I think this year each pitcher has more windup personality which goes into making pitching slightly more difficult. The windup and release is different for each pitcher and this game reflects it.

For example, Dempster has the hand flick so his windup is a bit slower, but his release is pretty natural so the meter doesn't kick back as fast. Still, I wasn't nailing pitches head on all the time and I liked that. Marmol has a slower build up on release, and then the ball explodes out of his hands as he gets ready to go. The meter just shoots back after his windup so you have to be quick. My first pitch with him I almost hit Braun in the head. :lol I got the timing down better and on a 3-2 pitch to fielder I snapped a shoulder to ankle curveball that just stuck him in his place for a strike out! It was a great feeling.

Also, I think there is a bigger penalty this year for trying to add that extra juice onto the pitch. The blue meter has that overdrive on the end of it (that's yellow and red) if you want to give the pitch more uumph. I noticed when I used this, the meter would snap back quicker. Which is nice since you should be sacrificing stability for power when you do something like this.

I need to test out the pitching meter with my other starters and relievers to know for sure, but pitching definitely felt different.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I played a game last night and started a franchise. Game is pretty fun, but the trade logic is once again pretty awful. I traded Nick Punto to the Brewers straight up for JJ Hardy. Awful logic, but good for my lineup. :)

Perhaps it's silly of me to ask, but this is something that's been bugging me since MLB08. Is the yellow line in the pitching meter supposed to be the "sweet spot" for release point? Because I swear the ball never locates itself properly 90% of the time I hit that. I feel like I get better accuracy releasing just before or after it. It seems like when I hit it my pitch gets more movement, which is nice and all, but not when I'm aiming for corner strikes.

Could it be a pitch confidence or pitch quality issue (which would mean almost no guarantee of hitting a perfect spot when needed)?

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Bad for your defense though!

I'll be uploading some great JJ hardy plays tonight! Just for eznark. :D

Last year Hardy and Punto were equal defensively. I didn't check, did MLB 09 make Hardy a shitty defensive player or something? I'd like to hear the basis for that.

Mrbob

Heh, could have been a fluke. Or maybe each game has a built in confidence meter for each player now?

After making the first error perhaps JJ forgot how to field. :p

Oh and yeah the yellow meter is the sweet spot.

Got one game in last night after creating players and setting up my franchise. Game is fantastic but many things are very similar to last year... With that being said I am really enjoying it so far, seems like a super polished version of last years game which is fine by me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Regarding my game winner last night in RTTS. It was bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, 2 out and a tie game. I'm still struggling with hitting a bit but I worked the count nicely. I finally get a good pitch on the outer middle of the plate and I rocket the ball into the outfield where the RF gave chase. Usually, they're pretty darn good in robbing me of hits so I had already groaned a bit but the field took his dive and the ball landed under his glove for a hit! =O Celebration scene occurs and I do a dance in my TV room.

Very cool.

Now, a question to those who played a hitter/fielder in RTTS. I know in pitching, Clutch, IIRC, is the key stat that makes raising all other pitching stats much easier. Is it true for hitting as well? What's a good way to create a five tool outfielder?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Couple of thoughts...

1080p is very nice. Very smooth. Only bad thing was some occasional shimmering and pixely places. I would definitely play in this mode, no frame rate hit and almost everything lives up to the upgrade.

Batting is definitely faster. I'm swinging early. That said, I'm hitting well, and getting a variety of hits on standard sliders. Pitching is a bit more difficult too, timing wise, but that doesn't bother me a bit.

You guys need to be aware that there are a lot (and will be more) custom sliders and rosters online. Use the Roster Vault to see how much is already there roster wise in the community. When you start a franchise or other mode, you have the option to load the roster you saved from online. That said...I felt like it didn't load the roster from online properly, that or the official roster didn't necessarily have the changes it said it did. I may try a fan roster to see.

So...I don't see a way to fire coaches, but I can hire scouts? And there is fan feedback about my coaches, who also give a stat hit. Can I fire coaches at the end of the season?

How do I add special events to the calendar, for upcoming games?

I love batting practice mode, and I probably need to use it more. I love how the balls stay on the field, haha.

I'm getting very exciting accurate games so far. I can't wait to see what some good sliders do.

I still think it's too easy to manipulate free agents and trades. I signed Manny to a two year deal for 16mil/per because Cabrera went down in my 2nd game haha.

Mrbob

Do you have to uncheck 720P in the PS3 display settings to get 1080P to work?

I just have 1080P and 720P checked, and last night I noticed when I booted up the game it was running in 720P. Surprised to see the game default to 720P when I have both boxes checked.

My blu ray movies run in 1080p.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mrbob said:

I just have 1080P and 720P checked, and last night I noticed when I booted up the game it was running in 720P. Surprised to see the game default to 720P when I have both boxes checked.

Yes.

bryehn

Just realized this has DTS :D

Why do I have to uncheck Dolby to get it to kick in though? Seems like an easy fix to patch into the next firmware update.

shpankey

not an idiot
I don't know if this was common knowledge (probably is) but there was a glitch in 08 when playing RTTS, say you were baserunning and on 1st and leading off, the pitcher throws over to first to pick you off, if you were really late getting back to the bag (ie: should be out by a mile) sometimes the 1st baseman would do a sweep tag animation and that animation consisted of him sweeping his glove across the front of the bag and leaving his arm up high, as if to show the official he has the ball... but b/c you were so late getting back, he never sweep tags you at all, just air. Meanwhile, while he's holding his arm up, you come diving back in. Obviously safe b/c you were never even remotely tagged.

Is this something they fixed in 09?

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm getting very exciting accurate games so far. I can't wait to see what some good sliders do.
That's one thing that worries me actually... some people are saying there is rubber band AI going on and making every game dramatic. Nevertheless to say, this would be catostrophic to me... I do NOT like the idea of a game just making it close on it's own or boosting and changing stats on the fly or comeback AI just so the game can be close. That's a death nail for a sim gamer. Most games should not end this way, otherwise they loose their specialness.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
bryehn said:

Why do I have to uncheck Dolby to get it to kick in though? Seems like an easy fix to patch into the next firmware update.

What? This has DTS? Score!

GQman2121

Banned
bryehn said:

That's been my question for months and months now. The same could be said about the video output too........

eznark

Banned
I'm loving custom soundtracks by the way. Never really cared about them before, but I think they're really well implemented here.

ToddG15

Additional thoughts on 09 over 08? I’ve heard a few people mentioned it’s pretty much the same game with a few added touches. True? False? I really enjoyed the RTTS last year but if 09 is pretty much the same game with updated rosters, I’m somewhat hesitant to pull the trigger. Though I do realize this is a common problem with sports games year-to-year and they don't totally reinvent the wheel so to speak every year.

Although, any word on if the Kmart deal mentioned previously for the PS3 version was just a local error or potentially larger scale? The closest Kmart is fairly shady so I don’t really wanna stop by for kicks.

Jim

Mrbob said:

99% of the time, there's no reason to force PS3 games to 1080p. Keep everything checked, and the game will run at the resolution that the developers prefer it to run at.

Runus

shpankey said:
That's one thing that worries me actually... some people are saying there is rubber band AI going on and making every game dramatic. Nevertheless to say, this would be catostrophic to me... I do NOT like the idea of a game just making it close on it's own or boosting and changing stats on the fly or comeback AI just so the game can be close. That's a death nail for a sim gamer. Most games should not end this way, otherwise they loose their specialness.

I know there is a setting where you can turn it on that if you start crushing the CPU it automatically boost their stats to help them come back. It's an option though and can be turned on or off very easily.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Mrbob said:

If the game was optimized for 720p, why would you want ot force it into another resolution?

Anyone know why they decided to tweak the hitting when it worked so well last year?

And is this worth it if I have 08? I'm leaning towards yes...

Runus said:
I know there is a setting where you can turn it on that if you start crushing the CPU it automatically boost their stats to help them come back. It's an option though and can be turned on or off very easily.

Well, I won my first game played 9-4 ... never felt like they were given a boost.

shpankey

not an idiot
CartridgeBlower said:
Anyone know why they decided to tweak the hitting when it worked so well last year?
I'd honestly love to hear the answer to this too. It wasn't broken in fact is was basically flawless. I would kill for the ability to make it bat like 08... even though I'm sure I will eventually [begrudgingly] get used to it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So this is the first baseball game I have purchased in like 10 years....I am loving this shit so far. I dont know what 08 looked like but this shit looks fucking incredible on my TV...the player models are great...I especially love the little animations after a batter goes down or after an inning is over. Its just a joy to behold. And the ability to mix your tracks in with the games music is golden. The pitcher batter duels in this game are just amazing...I LOVE the setup.

Couple of issues though, first...the commenatry...dear Lord. The guy that announces players and just states factual information is not that bad (dont know these guys names), but the guy that gives his two cents after every fucking play might be the most annoying fuck I have ever listened to. He never says anything relavant and his voice makes me want to club baby seals.

Secondly...WTF is up with these catchers??? I was playing the Royals with my White Sox and there was probably 5 pitches (not wild) the catchers couldnt contain in like 7 INNINGS! Also, I have fielding on Auto cause I suck and need to learn what the hell I am doing. It seems like the outfield just doesnt get a great jump on the ball...maybe that is reserved for manual control or something. And hitting seems pretty tough for me...probably doesnt help that Im using the Sox but jeez...its like Im working the pitcher for a lousy single. Im playing on Veteran which I think is like the second easiest difficulty. Me = Major Weak Sauce.

Lofid

Neo Member
Saiyu said:
Were you guessing the pitch? If a guess is correct you can't set the power/accuracy (at least in 08, my copy comes tomorrow)

Thanks. That's the answer!

And for people asking about online lag, it was present on the first day of release, but it definitely didn't affect the game that much. I probably noticed three times during a nine inning game that the ball kinda skipped as it went to the batter.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Captain N said:
Sometimes it'll come up to get a double play with a count down. Do I press a button to accept that?

what?

I think the passed ball thing is misjudging the break on low breaking pitches. You just can't see it hitting in front of the catcher well enough. At least I refuse to believe that Laird is some sort of super catcher.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Macattk15 said:
Because it looks even more awesome than it does in 720!

Again, if it is optimized for 720p, I am thinking changing it to 1080p wouldn't make it more awesome. If anything it would make flaws more visible.

Top Bottom