• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Fuck I love this game. Play it at least two to five times games a week,maybe the best looking, best playing game the system has to offer.

Bottom of the 12th, my Astros against the Rangers at the Astrodome:
I get a man on first and second with a bunt single and a HBP..
Next batter's at the plate, and I swing on a low fastball, but it's a poor hack and it should be a double play, but Blalock fucks up and my guy reaches first on a fielding error, loading up the bases with one away.
Now my seventh hitter is up against some some scrub reliever with a chance to drive in an RBI....
and first pitch, the scrub drills my guy in the shoulder with a high fastball and I win with an automatic RBI.:lol :lol :lol

Anyways, I've invested probably 100+ hours in this game, and though the basic commentary is repetitive, I still hear them say things I've never heard before. The depth of it is just insane.

jey_16

Banned
i just had my best RTTS game ever.....3 for 5, 3 HR's (including a go ahead grand slam) and 8 RBI's

i scored all 8 of the giants run's as we beat the cubs 8-4.....i know its not going to last so i'm enjoying it while i can

only thing is, it wouldn't let me record the replay's for some reason.....kept on coming up with an error :(

Afrikan

jey_16 said:
i just had my best RTTS game ever.....3 for 5, 3 HR's (including a go ahead grand slam) and 8 RBI's

i scored all 8 of the giants run's as we beat the cubs 8-4.....i know its not going to last so i'm enjoying it while i can

only thing is, it wouldn't let me record the replay's for some reason.....kept on coming up with an error :(

wish my Giants had you in real life :(

jey_16

Banned
free agent now.....not interested in staying with giants. A lot of clubs are making offers and i really want to win a world series, Red Sox (110 wins) and Braves (113 wins) both failed in the post season but i'm thinking they are my best bet? although i have noticed that most of the time, the the no.1 or no.2 teams during the regular season usually dont do that well in the playoffs

also deciding on what would be the best ballpark for my right handed hitter?

I was stuck SP for the Nats for three season before I finally bugged them enough to trade me..where do I go? The Orioles.. asdln asifhoainf

Gaf completely forget about this game now? It's still my Sports GOTY.

Virro

I've been thinking about getting this game with the TRU deal next week. Is the managerial side well developed? I play a lot of fantasy baseball and I guess I like that side a bit more than the in-game stuff.

I've already started to think about The Show '10. I wonder what they can add to the game. I'd love there to be some motion control implementation where you can get your fastest speed clocked and maybe even record your own batting stance.

templeusox said:
I've already started to think about The Show '10. I wonder what they can add to the game. I'd love there to be some motion control implementation where you can get your fastest speed clocked and maybe even record your own batting stance.

Or just come up with a better online system, it's laggy at times and the interface is just a mess for me. That's my only gripe with the game really, I love the difficulty of it that most can't get into.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I dont get how people bat so well :/ My RTTS guy is a .330BA with 30 home runs and 100RBIs the season that just ended for me. I see people with like incredible numbers makes me sad lol.

Square Triangle said:
I was stuck SP for the Nats for three season before I finally bugged them enough to trade me..where do I go? The Orioles.. asdln asifhoainf

Gaf completely forget about this game now? It's still my Sports GOTY.
I still play it a few times a week. I have a CF on the Yankees and a SP for the Giants. I haven't used my pitcher that much lately because I got really annoyed by how the AI will get alot of cheap hits off you. I tried to get trade for a bit there and also could only go to Orioles too but never saved after :lol

The only things I want fixed are just like the small things.
All on RTTS; not having to watch the batter walk to first after being walked while your on the bases, make it so the base runners/coaches are not in a same motion (they clap and move at same time...etc), more people in crowds or make sure that the same people are not all bunched up together, the AI seems to always make incredible catches in the outfield (seem to dive for balls and always get). Few other small things too...but Im just nitpicking which means the game is already great :lol
Of course online mode still needs its netcode to improve. Wasn't always bad this year but there were some horrible games I played. Also curious to see if they put the ps3 wand motion control into the game, maybe have a cool party mode with it to play with friends.
One thing I also like to see is having a built in fantasy league mode as a cool little extra mode so I can setup fantasy leagues with friends via it.

ty_hot

I used to play the MLB 09 demo in my PS3 nearly everyday, but I stopped a few time ago... but a friend of mine started to play The Bigs 2 (PS2), and now I want to play this game again, but not only the Demo... but NOONE in Brazil has this game... does anybody want to seel this game?

Zep

Banned
ty_hot said:
I used to play the MLB 09 demo in my PS3 nearly everyday, but I stopped a few time ago... but a friend of mine started to play The Bigs 2 (PS2), and now I want to play this game again, but not only the Demo... but NOONE in Brazil has this game... does anybody want to seel this game?

Want my copy? Im finished with it, to be honest.

bryehn

Doytch said:
So does the Twins season just start in June and have the first month be all double-headers?

No idea why they didn't go with a retractable roof. They can make them nice looking/feeling now instead of soulless like the Metrodome or Rogers Centre.

I'm already highly anticipating MLB 10 myself.

Doytch

bryehn said:
No idea why they didn't go with a retractable roof. They can make them nice looking/feeling now instead of soulless like the Metrodome or Rogers Centre.

:(

As if the stadium wasn't shitty enough, then they renamed it to rip out its heart for good.

Returners

bryehn said:

Was just reading that. Retractable roof apparently costs way more than they're willing to pay.

Afrikan

Returners said:

from the article..
And it may not be the only green cathedral, long gone, to be explored in next year's game, said the two.

"You never know, you may be seeing some nostalgic venues in MLB 10."

oh man.....I'm probably just dreaming here.....but man would I love to play in Candlestick using the late 80's Giants uniforms.

nostalgic, indeed.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Afrikan said:
oh man.....I'm probably just dreaming here.....but man would I love to play in Candlestick using the late 80's Giants uniforms.

nostalgic, indeed.

That be interesting. I want to see people dancing around for popups :lol

Returners

OK, I'm back to playing this game.

Created a new pitcher with more conventional pitches. I currently have (in that order) a 4 seamer, a changeup, and a cutter.

What else do you guys recommend, I'm a right handed pitcher, I want something that breaks left instead of right (but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know all the baseball pitches and stuff)

First assignment in AA, took a no hitter to 6 2/3 innings before allowing a hit. :D

EDIT: How's the screwball?

Returners said:
OK, I'm back to playing this game.

Created a new pitcher with more conventional pitches. I currently have (in that order) a 4 seamer, a changeup, and a cutter.

What else do you guys recommend, I'm a right handed pitcher, I want something that breaks left instead of right (but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know all the baseball pitches and stuff)

First assignment in AA, took a no hitter to 6 2/3 innings before allowing a hit. :D

A screwball will do that - can you throw a screwball in the game. I haven't played it beyond the demo.

A screwball is not like a reverse curveball. It has almost identical action to a 2-seam fastball, which is why it is almost extinct from baseball.

Returners

templeusox said:
A screwball is not like a reverse curveball. It has almost identical action to a 2-seam fastball, which is why it is almost extinct from baseball.

so 2 seamer works well then?

Is there such a thing pitch as the reverse cutter?

EDIT: I can't read, apparently there's a "Running Fastball" in the game thats the reverse cutter.

oatmeal

Banned
Yes, it's an amazing game. I think they need to work on the atmosphere for the next one.

I won the World Series and it was kind of lame...no excitement. I don't think any baseball game has ever gotten it right.

Needs better commentary, that follows your progress through a season better (especially in Road to the Show)...

It's still the best sports game out there, though. Just want more atmosphere.

Afrikan

Returners said:
Sigh. I could see FIFA 10, Madden 10 & NHL 10. But NBA 2K10?

cross out Madden from your list as well....that game is broken.

that is three years straight now that MLB The Show has been ignored.....purposely I'd assume.

makes you wonder though.....if an EA baseball game was still around....would it get ignored....

Also, Is Hockey more popular than Baseball in the States....I think not....same thing with Soccer....so why are those other games "nominated" but The Show is not...

and it has NOTHING to do with it being exclusive, because there are exclusive games in other genres that are nominated at the VGAs....

straight BS.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't care about award shows, but it's still my game of the year. No other sports title comes close. The level of care and presentation in this game is amazing.

Birbo

When best sports game came up watching the VGAs over the weekend, I was trying to decide between this & NHL 10 and was surprised when The Show wasn't even nominated. It's my favorite baseball game since World Series Baseball '98 on the Saturn. :lol

Link1110

Just bought the game. It's taking 6-7 minutes to cache data to the hard drive. Please tell me this is a one time thing or it's going back to Gamestop.

Top Bottom