• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Outtrigger888 said:
I got a question. I thought I read somewhere on these boards sony announced a mlb 09 remix with all classic players, teams and stadiums. Im probaly just dreaming but can anyone confirm this. And if they arent I wish they would come out with some DLC with a bunch of classic stadiums.
Dream.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Outtrigger888 said:
I got a question. I thought I read somewhere on these boards sony announced a mlb 09 remix with all classic players, teams and stadiums. Im probaly just dreaming but can anyone confirm this. And if they arent I wish they would come out with some DLC with a bunch of classic stadiums.

That was me making fun of an E3 thread, and I apologize.

TheFatOne

OK I need some serious help. I tried to make a pitcher in RTTS, but he sucks so I am going to start over. Can anyone give me some tips on how to make and develop a great starting pitcher.

Zep

Banned
Begin with a fastball that has movement(2seam,cutter) then changeup(regular or circle, doesn't matter) then grab yourself a slurve.. Build up your stamina and k/9, bb/9, H/9.

From there level up two pitches of your choice. Fastball/changeup combo is the most effective, so I'd stick with those and update the slurve settings once in a while, cause you won't need 3 pitches at the AA level.

The most important thing is finding a pitching motion. I use Greg Maddux because its pretty quick and gives me a great rhythm when dealing. If you're making a lefty, use Moyer! His delivery is effective and simple to master.

TheFatOne

Zep said:
Begin with a fastball that has movement(2seam,cutter) then changeup(regular or circle, doesn't matter) then grab yourself a slurve.. Build up your stamina and k/9, bb/9, H/9.

From there level up two pitches of your choice. Fastball/changeup combo is the most effective, so I'd stick with those and update the slurve settings once in a while, cause you won't need 3 pitches at the AA level.

The most important thing is finding a pitching motion. I use Greg Maddux because its pretty quick and gives me a great rhythm when dealing. If you're making a lefty, use Moyer! His delivery is effective and simple to master.

Nice tips I made my first guy as a test guy. I just wanted to see how RTTS works (first time playing MLB The Show) hopefully my next guy will be better

Returners

I use the Halladay motion with Knuckler as my primary pitch (along with a 4 seamer and a changeup)

Essentially 3 different speeds for me 69, 80, 97mph

Very effective.

Zep

Banned
Oh yea...Another thing. Cutter/2seam + Slider is also a dominant two pitch combo to start. A slider with break in the 80-90's is filthy.

TheFatOne

Returners said:
I use the Halladay motion with Knuckler as my primary pitch (along with a 4 seamer and a changeup)

Very effective.

Zep said:
Oh yea...Another thing. Cutter/2seam + Slider is also a dominant two pitch combo to start. A slider with break in the 80-90's is filthy.

Thx for the tips guys. I am an idiot though. I made a SP and forgot to put his stamina up in the beginning :lol

eznark

Banned
Returners said:

Very effective.
Does motion really matter?

eznark

Banned
Returners said:
I think in a way it does. Because if you have a quick wind-up you'll be less susceptible to base-stealing.
I guess I was asking more in terms of side armers and what not. Guys like Mitch Stetter. If you used a right handed Stetter delivery with a mid-90's 2 seamer, a slider and a change-up combined with the stamina of a starter...man that would be sick.

Shit, I'm going to make that guy when I get home tonight...I'm very bored with my RTTS pitcher.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I got 2 guys in my RTTS modes now. My pitcher for the Giants...allstar quality dude but because I play for the Giants if I allow more than 1-2 runs I will lose :lol Been seeing if I can get a trade but its always to Orioles and they blow too :/ Hopefully the Giants can pick up some offense but the team seems to be trading/not signing all the quality people they have on the team currently. His issue is that I should have did his pitches better. He is 4sfb, CH, CB, SL, and KN. I wish I took the time to increase the pitches I had before introducing more stuff.

My CF is in the Yankees org. and is the almost MLB status, he got called up last year during end of season and Yankees won the world series (I only was a situational hitter/base runner tho). Now back in AAA for new season and I dont even start :lol He is a speedy hitter that strikes out alot :/ Lately I been just cheating and bunting for singles so I can actually get some points to actually make my player better but he needs alot more help.

oatmeal

Banned
I have a CFer for the Houston AAA team. I just played through an entire season in AA...was a situational player, then a starter, then back to situational (when I forgot to update the things they wanted), and then made it back.

I stole 104 bases with him, too. I LOVE stealing, it's great. The problem is, I steal second and then third...and get bored (usually with no outs as I was the leadoff hitter) and so I'd just run myself into outs. So I had all of these steals and very few run scores. I wish you could set it up so you control it only up until 3rd base.

I hate it when you get a hitting practice and it's like...palm ball or some shit. Great, 20 balls in a row...my DSC is up a lot! Thanks game!

Fuckers.

Excited to start in AAA, though. I love working my way up...it's when I reach the majors, that a few years in I get bored.

Barrett2

Just finished my season with the Mets. 83-79, and I tied for first place in my division with the Braves. Unfortunately, they won in our head-to-head record, so I missed the playoffs. Son of a bitch...

Next season im' going to scale back from the full season to 82 games, make it more manageable. Don't know if I can do another 160+. It took me a while to get the difficultly settings / sliders / roster how I wanted it, but im' glad I stuck with it, this has been one of the most engrossing games i've ever played. 200+ hours.

Now i've got to figure out re-signings for next year, free agents, etc. After 160+ games with a team, its honestly going to be agonizing figuring out the roster for my next season. I know one thing, though, Jose Reyes is worth his weight in GOLD.

eznark

Banned
I'm finally a fixture in the rotation at the ripe old age of 22. Switching to a right handed side armer was a great decision! Sinetimes you just gotta tweak that delivery.

I'm also throwing 98-100, but having a mixed first full season. 2014 is totally going to be a Cy Young season!

(Also got the trophy for losses...sad)

smurfx

get some go again
lawblob said:
Just finished my season with the Mets. 83-79, and I tied for first place in my division with the Braves. Unfortunately, they won in our head-to-head record, so I missed the playoffs. Son of a bitch...
damn even the game mets are like real life. :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
lawblob said:

Next season im' going to scale back from the full season to 82 games, make it more manageable. Don't know if I can do another 160+. It took me a while to get the difficultly settings / sliders / roster how I wanted it, but im' glad I stuck with it, this has been one of the most engrossing games i've ever played. 200+ hours.

Now i've got to figure out re-signings for next year, free agents, etc. After 160+ games with a team, its honestly going to be agonizing figuring out the roster for my next season. I know one thing, though, Jose Reyes is worth his weight in GOLD.

Ive got about the same amount of time in as you, it's insane. But I sim every other game to get more realistic stats, I'm not much of a walker or basestealer haha

jey_16

Banned
made it to the show with my pitcher :D...initially was drafted by the Royals but got traded to the A's.

at the moment, i only have 3 pitches.....4SB, Knuckle and Slider. Maxed out speed & control on the 4SB but i'm wondering if i should go for another pitch type now (Changeup, Curve, Cutter?) or max out my knuckler and slider

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's a nice combo given the speed of a knuckler, though the control can be...odd with those pitches. Maybe changeup, but that seems pretty cool.

lawblob said:

That isn't how division ties are supposed to be decided in that case. If the tie break determines who is the division winner and who is the wild card, then head to head record is used.

However, if the tie break determines who is the division winner and who misses the playoffs entirely (because a 2nd place team in another division has a better record than both tied teams and will win the wild card), then there is a playoff game between the two tied teams.

BUG!

jey_16 said:
at the moment, i only have 3 pitches.....4SB, Knuckle and Slider. Maxed out speed & control on the 4SB but i'm wondering if i should go for another pitch type now (Changeup, Curve, Cutter?) or max out my knuckler and slider

You already have a +fastball and two off-speed options (really off speed in this case). I'd go with a 'pitch to contact' type for your fourth- 2-seamer, sinker, cutter, or split/fork. They can bail you out of all sorts of jams.

Mrbob

Been playing Road to the Show the past couple weeks, starting to see an annoying trend with my RTTS pitcher. I've made it from AA season 1 to AAA in season 2 and now a big league starter in season 3, and I keep on giving up the same type of hits at every level. Hits keep on going down the first base and 3rd base line, no matter how I try to mix up my pitches. It is somewhat annoying, as these are really the only main type of hit I give up. Down the line, 3rd baseman dives for it misses. Or the same way on first base. Seems like a canned play for the AI to succeed against your pitcher. Anyone else notice this or am i crazy?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't play RttS as much lately, but my problem was always those stupid shots up the middle that I couldn't field with my pitcher. You really do notice poor defensive players in that mode as a pitcher.

Maybe it has to do with how you're pitching them? Dunno.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Musashi Wins! said:
I don't play RttS as much lately, but my problem was always those stupid shots up the middle that I couldn't field with my pitcher. You really do notice poor defensive players in that mode as a pitcher.

Maybe it has to do with how you're pitching them? Dunno.

lol it's so bad, that i altered the sliders.

I had to do it to prevent some cheap hits. On the whole, all the changes eliminated/reduced those annoying events (like Jack Cust like runners on first making it to third off of a hard grounder between first and second) but it doesn't appear to change the game. I lose just as much as before. I give just as many hits. Sometimes i think the AI is slider smart. I really do. But it's ok, having those events gone or reasonable pleases me. Like fast/average runners will still just barely make that run and thats fair. I just can't stand having prince fielder and fucking jack cust do it. Thats just silly. ITS JACK CUST MAN.

While we're bitching about RTTS quirks, how about on the hitting side where randomized minor leaguers have Kei Igawa's stats but somehow manage to throw 96mph on the black. After you're jammed, here comes a 82mph changeup, a slurve that breaks at your eyeballs and a knuckleball just for shits and giggles. Fuck you Jobu!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mrbob said:
Been playing Road to the Show the past couple weeks, starting to see an annoying trend with my RTTS pitcher. I've made it from AA season 1 to AAA in season 2 and now a big league starter in season 3, and I keep on giving up the same type of hits at every level. Hits keep on going down the first base and 3rd base line, no matter how I try to mix up my pitches. It is somewhat annoying, as these are really the only main type of hit I give up. Down the line, 3rd baseman dives for it misses. Or the same way on first base. Seems like a canned play for the AI to succeed against your pitcher. Anyone else notice this or am i crazy?
Yep that or stupid outfielders dive for balls that they shouldn't.

Sye d'Burns

I was walking through Walmart tonight and noticed that MLB 09 was priced at $19.99. When I had a clerk grab a copy from behind the glass he commented on how cheap it was (damned right it was) and with game in hand we walked over to the register to ring it up. Of course it rang up at 59.99 and without batting an eye he called a manager to electronics to override the price to match what was marked behind the glass. (Score!)

Of course I have to sit here and stare at the game until my PS3 ships back from repair. That stings a little. :-(

So goddamn frustrated right now.

There are only a few attainable trophies for me. I play RttS, but not much of it.

I've gotten close to the shutout and no hitter trophies a couple of times. Today, I'm rolling through the Indians like nobody's business. I even have a no-hitter into the 7th. They get a hit, whatever, I'll get the shutout.

Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, and I give up a fucking home run.

Fuck you, God.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I have to ask (and it probably has been brought up before but this thread is HUGE).

Are there some tips for dealing with perfectly timed pitches? They are like curses. Every time i THROW one i might hit the batter, walk somebody, give a double, or worse. It's crazy. The times where i'm ON are the times where i land that little thingy just before or just after the perfect timing notch consistently. Is it broken or something?

I mean i've already gotten the memo of trying not to land on it. But maybe i'm not understanding it's purpose. what the fuck is that thing's deal? So i don't have to sit on pins and needles every time i inch closer to landing on that bastard.

This is a good Hitting Guide: From a fellow by the name of "whitesox" over at operation sports.

MLB
09: The Show has been dubbed the "Most realistic baseball game ever" by
it's publishers, SCEA. It may be just that, and in my personal opinion,
it is. Unfortunately, because of the game's realistic nature, it is
very difficult to get the hang of. With it's simple controls, however,
it fits the cliche of "Easy to learn, difficult to master" quite well.
The point of this guide is to help people master this game. I will be
going into the four major aspects of baseball(Hitting, Pitching,
Fielding, and Base Running), and even a very controversial one.(This
whole "CPU comeback" thing). First up: Hitting.

HITTING

In order to score runs, you need to be able to hit well. Vary rarely in
baseball is a run scored without a hit helping it in some way. The
first important thing about hitting is the duel between the pitcher and
the batter. The major factor in this is the count. I am going to say
there are three types of counts, Pitchers counts, Neutral counts, and
Hitters counts.

Neutral Counts
0-0 No pitch has been made, thus no advantage.
1-0 Not much of an advantage just yet, but the hitter is getting there.
1-1 The count is pretty much even, the 1-1 pitch is a pivotal pitch in an at bat.
3-2 The payoff pitch. The hitter has just as much of a chance to
walk as he does to strike out. Fouls permitting, this is the last pitch
in an at bat.

Hitters Counts
2-0 The pitcher is in a bit of a pickle here, throw a strike or face a a 3-0 count
2-1 Once again, the pitcher must throw a strike on this count, or he faces going into the next pitch way behind in the count.
3-0 The pitcher is in quite the situation now. He is obviously
having a tough time getting one over for a strike, so he is going to
probably be throwing a get-me-over pitch, hoping to get a strike and
hopefully turn this at bat around. The hitter is usually taking here,
especially with people on base. A hit is as good as a walk, and right
now the hitter is close to a walk
3-1 You are swing at strikes here, and because the pitcher wants to avoid a walk, it will perhaps again be a get-me-over pitch.

Pitchers Counts
0-1 The pitcher starts off well, and the hitter is falling into a hole.
0-2 The hitter has really dug himself a hole now. The goal for
the hitter now is to extend the at bat, or try for a hit. Be prepared
for a breaking ball that dips out of the zone. Protect if it close,
nothing is worse than a backwards K.
1-2 Pretty much the same as 0-2, you are trying to extend the count, and protecting if it is close.
2-2 The hitter can see the light now. The pitcher is starting to
feel the heat, and may leave on over in an attempt to finish the job.
As always with two strikes, protect if it is close.

---
Another goal for the hitter should be to take the at bat into a deep
count if possible. One of the governing factors for how long a pitcher
stays in the game is his pitch count, and by taking him into deep
counts, and making him work hard for every out, you are extending this.

---
One of the most important things about hitting is knowing the
situation. Some people are content in swinging at every pitch. This
doesn't work well, so in order to help your awareness, you should ask
yourself these questions every pitch.

"What is the count?" Kind of an obvious one here, if you don't
know the count, then how can you decide on a course of action? The
count plays a huge role in this. For example, a hitter should be more
inclined to swing for the fences on a hitters count (2-0 2-1 3-1 and
sometimes 3-0), because a pitcher will be more likely to throw a fat
one right down the middle to try and get a strike. However, if you are
in a pitchers count (0-1 0-2 1-2 2-2) the pitcher is more likely to try
and deceive you with a breaking ball or an off speed pitch because he
has "one to waste".

"How many outs are there?" Another obvious one here, the amount
of outs is pivotal to what you decide to do with your at bats. If there
are no outs, then you are likely swing away, or bunting the runner to
second. If there is one out and a runner on first, than you are trying
not to hit a ground ball. If there is one out and no runner on third,
than you should probably swing away. With zero or one out, you should
maybe think about using the power swing if you get a hitters count, but only if you have a power threat at the plate.

"Are there people on base? If so, how many and where are they?"
"Are these runners fast?"
These questions are important because the amount of people on base will
determine what you are trying to do at the plate. Are you trying to
move them over? Then you want a bunt or in some cases a grounder to the
right side. Trying to drive them in? Then you want a good outfield hit.
You might even want to do a squeeze play with someone on third, but
beware, only do this if you are positive that your batter can get the
bunt down, because if he fails, the runner will be a sitting duck.

"What is the pitcher's status?" By status, I mean his energy
level, and his confidence level. This is important because if the
pitcher is not confident or he is tired, his accuracy will suffer. When
his accuracy suffers, then you will wind up in more hitters counts.
This is big because then you can hit the pittcher more effectively,
thus scoring more runs.

"Should I use the power button?" I only use the power button
when there is no one on first, less than 2 outs, and I am in a hitters
count. It also should go without saying that you need a power hitter to
have good home run results with the power swing.

---

One last major thing a hitter should always know is his strengths and
weeknesses. No player is great at everything, so they play to their
strengths. If the player is fast, try bunting your way and stealing
bases. A good example of this is Scott Podsednik. If your player is a
great contact hitter, then don't try to swing for the fences, just try
to get on. While they try to get on, they may hit for power every once
in a while. A good example of this would be Dustin Pedroia. These types
of players are often the ones to start a rally. Then you have the power
hitters. These guys finish rallies. They swing for the fences, and
often reach them. Good examples include Jim Thome and Prince Fielder.

A few useful bits:
1. Know the park dimensions. It helps to know where you are aiming as a power hitter.

2. Watch the other pitcher, some have slower deliveries. These make good canidates for base stealers.

3. Know the opposing catcher. It is easier to run on some nobody than Miguel Olivo.

PITCHING

Just like Hitting, a huge part of pitching is getting ahead in the count. This information can be found above.

---
The most important aspect of pitching is pitch selection. I will list the pitches below.

Fastball Family
4-Seam Fastball- Your standard fastball. No break. Good strikeout pitch if you throw it hard and high.

2-Seam Fastball- A variaton of the 4-Seamer. This has some break, and can be used to fool your oponent if he is used to 4-Seamers.

Sinker- A fastball that drops. The use of this pitch is to get the hitter to swing over it, causeing him to ground out.

Splitter- Another dropping fastball. This one can drop out of the zone for a few strikeouts.

Cut-Fastball- A fastball that has the opposite break of a
running fastball. Can be devastating if used correctly. A good use of
the Cutter is to throw it so that it breaks off the inside corrner,
often resulting in jamming the hitter.

Running Fastball- A fastball that has opposite break of the cutter. When these two are used togeather, they can create a deadly combo.

The Off Speed Family

Changeup- A standard changeup. Desinged to throw the hitter off
balance. Will result in groundouts if used well with fastballs. It can
also result in a strikeout if it drops out of the zone.

Circle Changeup- A changeup with diagnol movement. Seems to deliver more Strikeouts.

Palmball- Has more of a downward break.

It is worth noting: the slowest speed for all three of the above pitches is 70 MPH.

The Breaking Pitch Family

Curveball- The standard Curveball, can have a devastating break.
It will deliver a lot of strikeouts if you use is so that it drops out
of the zone. You also might want to make it drop in on the first pitch,
as the hitter might not expect it. Do not do that a lot though, as they
will catch on.

12-6 Curveball- A Curveball that drops straight down. A
strikeout pitch, almost exclusively. Beware that this pitch is hard to
control, and if you miss your release point you will be punished for it.

Slider- In my opinion, the best strikeout pitch in the game. If
you throw it low and away, breaking out of the zone, it is very hard to
hit. This goes for both humans and CPUs.

Knuckle-Curveball- A hybrid of a Knuckleball and a Curveball.
Tends to be an effective pitch. Not much else to say, For strikeouts
make it drop out of the zone, for a ground out make it cross the plate
at the bottom of the zone.

Sweeping Curve- Has more of a vertical movement than a Slurve, but less of a vertical movement than a Curve.

Slurve- Has more of a horizontal movement than a Sweeping Curve, but less of a Horizontal movement than a slider.

Screwball-Has an opposite break than a curve. A good pitch for strikeouts and contact outs.

Forkball- Has a little less break than a screwball, but is faster. Great for strikeouts.

The Knuckle Ball Family

Knuckleball- "Round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody
knows!" That just about sums up the Knuckleball, your guess is as good
as mine as to where it will end up. That makes it a dangerous, yet
effective pitch. Also, in case you didn't know, it is very, very slow.

Keep in mind that the above run-down is all my opinion.

---

One thing that some pitchers forget to do is very their pitch speeds
and breaks. These hitters are not stupid, even though they are
computers. They can detect patterns. If you keep going to the slider on
0-2, they are going to expect it. If you keep throwing fastballs while
you are a head they AI will look for that.

---

Never get lazy. Just because there are two outs in an inning, it does
not mean you can go easy on the CPU. If you make a mistake, you will be
taken deep just like you would with 1 or none outs. It is also very
demoralizing to give up a 2 out run/rally. This is a huge problem
people have.

---

If you are trying to strike someone out, then you should not use as
much power. Let go of X earlier in the meter (for meter), or just let
go of X earlier (For classic). Think of it like a finesse pitch. Just
don't do this on a high fastball. You want that pitch to be as hard as
possible.

---

Think about every pitch. You will find yourself say to yourself "I wish
I had that one back..." Just take it as a learning experience.

---
Pay attention to your pitchers energy and pitch count. When your energy
gets low you will be more prone to the type of mistake that results in
a home run. I suggest warming up your bullpen up at the first sign of
trouble, so you don't get caught flat-footed when you need it. Also pay
attention to confidence.

A few useful bits:
1. Use the hot zones. It will tell you where to pitch the ball.

2. Pay attention to a hitters ratings. If he is not highly rated in
power, then he is not a threat to go deep, but that doesn't mean he
isn't a threat to hit the gap.

3. For a small confidence boost, use the mound visit option. Only use
this when your pitcher's confidence is below 50% though, otherwise he
will lose confidence.

FIELDING AND BASE RUNNING

Lets get started with covering base running. The new base running
system is very useful. To use it, all you have to do is flick the left
stick to select the runner you want to order, (Right for first, Up for
second, left for third, and down for someone who hasn't reached
first.)and then press the base you want them to go to. Say I want my
runner on first to score on a gapper. CRACK! I flick the stick right,
and then press X. Done. Then I flick it down to select the batter who
is running to first and press square. Done again. All I have left to do
now is slide.

---

Sliding is easy. You just flick the right stick in 1 of 6 directions
and the player slides. Straight up is a head first slide. Up and left
will have the player go in head first and hook the left side. Usefull
if a throw is coming to third from left. Up and right will have the
player go in head first, but hook the right side. This is useful on
stolen base attempts.

Down will have the runner go in feet first. Down and to the left will
have him going in and hooking the left side, which, as stated above, is
good for throws to third from left. Down and right has the player
hooking the right side with his foot, good for stolen bases.

---
For fielding, make sure to move your defense around a lot. You want to
move them in with a man on first and less than 2 outs, so you can get
the runner at home. Only take this out if you are sure about it.

Double Play depth works well for turning double plays.

Not holding the runner at second helps if there is a big contact hitter at the plate, because it plucgs the gap in the infield.

Bringing in the corners helps against the bunt.

Shifting left will help contain hitters who hit to the left side.

Shifting right will help contain hitters whi hit to the right side.

Shifting extremem in either of those directions is just what it says- extreme. This is used on Jim Thome and David Ortiz a lot.

Guard the lines to help against doubles.

The outfield can shift with the infield to help contain pull hiters.

---

Use defensive subs too. If your big slugger is done for the day, then
replace him with someone with a decent fielding rating. The same thing
happens in RTTS, the manager favors the player with the higher
defensive rating, and you should too.

That just about does it for that catagory. Now for the main
event...comeback ai! Listen, i will make this quick. It doesn't exist.
Here is a post that I made earlier, I am just gonna let it do the
talking.

Let's get rational here. First and foremost, I think you all are
experienceing the Placebo Effect. Here is the deffinition in case you
don't know what that is. http://www.answers.com/topic/placebo-effect

Ok, well there are a number of reasons that people talk about this "comeback ai", I am going to try and cover those.

1. "The CPU scores the inning after me!"

Well, this is because you are getting lazy, quite simply. You think
that since you are ahead, you can afford to make mistakes, often
resulting in the CPU hitting you the next inning, until you snap out of
this. Try playing every inning with the same intensity you would if it
was the 10th inning in game 7 of the World Series. You will see changes.

2. "The CPU scores in the last 3 inninngs, often resulting in me not
having enough time to comeback. This must be the CPU cheating!"

No, you are taking these innings too fast. As stated numorus times in
this thread, the last three innings should take you roughly about as
long as the first six. You must take your time, and try to beat the CPU
with every pitch. It only takes one minor slip up to cost you the game,
keep that in mind.

3. "My starter went 8 masterfull innings, and then got murdered in the 9th! This must be the CPU comeback!"

Wrong again. After 8 innings your pitcher will be
tired. When he's tired, the will lose location. When he loses location,
he will give up hits. When he gives up hits, he will lose confidence.
When he loses confidence, he will lose more location. When he loses
more loacation, he will give up Home Runs a lot more frequently. See
the Domino Effect? A few steps in that may be skipped here and there,
but this is the general idea. Your best bet is to go to your closer in
the nineth, and your setup guy in the eighth if your pitchers energy is
low enough. Your pitcher's energy can be checked by pressing select.

4. "My guys are making errors left ant right! Damn you CPU comeback!!!"

It is not the CPU comeback. Quite simply, errors are a part of
baseball. One thing that might be happening is that you are holding
down the button too long. In the game, the longer you hold the button,
the more power your player puts behind his throw. For example, your
third baseman makes an incredible diving play! Instead of lightly
tapping the button, you want to hold it for the most power, in an
attemp to get the out. Another example, A grounder to second base. You
want to tap the button here, beecause you gain nothing by holding it
down. You don't need an all powerful throw to get the guy out. It also
helps to know who is running at the time. If Chone Figgans was speeding
down the baseline then you don't have as much time, and should make the
throw a little more urgant. If Jim Thome is running down the baseline,
you have all the time in the world! (Ok, maybe not that much, but still) When a player puts all he has into a throw, he is more prone to a throwing error. It works this way in life, and in the show.

Now for fielding errors: When your big slugger takes what seems to be
his last at-bat, then pull him for someone who can play defense. This
happens all the time in RTTS, the manager will favor the player with
the higher fielder rating in the later innings, and you should too.
There is no use risking a fielding error when you don't have too.

5. "My pitcher cant get the big outs! Comback code!"

Nope. In order for a situation to arise where your pitcher needs a "big
out", then he must have let runners get on base. As stated above, when
runners get on, your pitchers confidence will drop. This results in a
signifigant drop in location, and a signifigant increase in H/9, HR/9,
and BB/9. Your confidence can be seen by pressing select. Also, if you
want a slight increase in confidence when it is low, use a mound visit.
you only get one per inning, so use it wisely. Do not use it when your
confidence is above 50%, as it will result in a drop instead of a gain.

6. "My pitcher can't hit his spots, often resulting in Home Runs! This has to be the comeback code!"

No. Your pitcher can't hit his sports for one of four reasons. First,
his energy might be low. That was explained in #3. Second, his
confidence might be low. That was explained in #5. Third, he might not
have his best stuff. The little blue bar above each pitch on the pitch
selection diagram (The one that says X = fastball, O = Changeup etc.)
is your pitch command. This shows how much command your pitcher has
over each pitch. If the bar is low, then you will not have as much
control over that pitch as much as pitches with a bar the is filled.
Fourth, you may be missing your release point. If you miss your release
point, then you will not throw where you were aiming. If you throw a
curveball before you get to your release point- you will hang it-
resulting in it landing in the upper deck more times than not.

7. "Ok, so I followed your advice. I brought in my closer to finish the game, and he gave up a walkoff! Explain that!"

Ok, what happened is you did not allow him to become compleately warm.
You have to leave a pitcher in the bullpen for a while before he
becomes warm. That is the point of having the bullpen after all .
The best way to manage this is to set him up in the bullpen when you
come up to bat, and by the time it rolls around to be your turn to
pitch, he should be warm. Also, start up the bullpen at the first sign
of trouble. If your starter gives up 2 straight hits in the late
innings, start it up now, so you don't get caught flat-footed when you
need him.

8. "The CPU score 8! I can't get out of the inning! It cameback!"

If you are ahead by a lot, and don't want to risk losing the game, then
take the sure out. Example: Runner on third- 1 out. You are ahead by 3.
Ground ball to short, throw it to first. Throwing it to home will allow
everyone to be safe, prolong the inning, lower your pitchers
confidence, and his energy.

And that just about wraps it up. I am open to constructive criticisms, and please understant that this is the first time I have written anything like this.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Knuckleball- "Round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody
knows!" That just about sums up the Knuckleball, your guess is as good
as mine as to where it will end up. That makes it a dangerous, yet
effective pitch. Also, in case you didn't know, it is very, very slow.

For all my beefs about that damn perfect timing notch. It's an absolute necessity with knuckle. He should probably put that in there. If you release it early the knuckler hangs, if you release it late it falls. I know all pitches are like that to some extent, but it's quite exaggerated with the knuckle. When it hangs theres quite the possibility of no movement and a shot at the gaps. Where as if it's low it's just as if not more unpredictable as it always is.

jey_16

Banned
is it worth asking to be traded? any negative effect? just about to end my first season in the majors with the A's and the team sucks, no offense at all. Ranked last in HR's and my pitcher gets very little support

After putting in hundreds of hours on PS3 version I got a PSP 3000 and MLB 09 psp.

The gameplay is great but the graphics? UGH. Shit is just hard to look at it.
MLB 08 looked better somehow! WTF!

thejared

so i just bought this today. not much of a baseball fan, but i had to support the best sports game since nfl2k5.

are there any settings that are generally accepted as best. like what type of pitching meter to use, difficulty to play on, assisted fielding and running, and views and such?

game has a lot of meters going on, so im gonna have to read the manual, but played one game as the giants and got whooped by the dodgers.

Lothars

I just bought this game since hearing such great things about it.

I look forward to playing it, any recommendations on what I should do first? the last baseball game I played was MVP baseball 2004 or so for the Xbox.

Returners

lothars said:
I just bought this game since hearing such great things about it.

I look forward to playing it, any recommendations on what I should do first? the last baseball game I played was MVP baseball 2004 or so for the Xbox.

go RTTS. Its awesome.

jey_16

Banned
fuck.....was carrying a perfect game into the 9th with my RTTS pitcher against the twins and i give up a single :( i get pulled which means i lose the shutout and the reliever sucks so bad that i get tagged with 1ER as well.....atleast i got the win but the A's suck!

i really hate those dodgy singles that my fielders always seem to just miss

thejared said:
so i just bought this today. not much of a baseball fan, but i had to support the best sports game since nfl2k5.

are there any settings that are generally accepted as best. like what type of pitching meter to use, difficulty to play on, assisted fielding and running, and views and such?

game has a lot of meters going on, so im gonna have to read the manual, but played one game as the giants and got whooped by the dodgers.

This game is so accurate...

Woot! I threw a no-hitter with my RTTS pitcher in my first major league start! And I didn't even know I had done it until it was over. :lol

The background - My pitcher had a very successful AA and AAA campaign with the Pirates and was ready to be called up to the big club the next year and lead the coming Buccos dynasty. Then he got traded to the Mariners. Oops. OK, no big deal, I was in the majors at least, but they made me a reliever.

I had OK success in my first MLB season out of the bullpen - 3.75 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, but gave up a few more homers than I had in the minors (5 in 43 IP).

That's when I got the notice that they wanted to turn me into a starter. OK, cool, but then they surprised me and immediately sent me to AAA. Must be to get a few starts in to build up my pitch count from being a reliever.

Well, I got absolutely rocked in my first AAA start (7 runs in 3IP). Seriously, every pitch I threw up there was getting lined back into the OF. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling that confident when they called me back up to Seattle to make my first major league start.

Well things started out badly in the first inning. I walked a guy, followed by an error and then a passed ball that let the runner score. I managed to get out of it with just one run, but things were shaky. But then I got in a real groove and really started hitting my spots and setting people down. We had a big lead, so I was hoping that the manager would let me stay in to try and get the complete game.

However, I wasn't really aware of the no-hitter underway. Because of the first inning run that scored and a couple of other runners in the later innings (another error and a walk), it just didn't register for me. I was also playing with the sound off and listening to tunes, so I imagine they talked about it during the broadcast, but I didn't hear it.

Anyway, when I got the final out, the catcher and all my teammates went apeshit and hoisted me on their shoulders. OK, it was nice to get a complete game and a win, guys, but its only June here. Take it easy.

Then it dawned on me. Did I give up any hits? Quick, look at the box score. Big goose egg in the hits column! Sweeeet!:D

Needless to say, I didn't make it out of the 4th inning in my next start. I LOVE this game!

jey_16

Banned
my first contract with the A's just ended, they offered me $120m/7yrs but i really dont want to play for this club.....if i decline then they are just going to offer arbitration and i'm just going to be stuck for another year

they wont trade me so what else can i do? i'm thinking about getting a short 2 year contract and seeing what happens after that but i dont think its going to work since i simulated a few seasons just to see what happens and nobody else ever offers me a contract, the A's just offer me a new deal or i got to arbitration

how do i get away from this club :(

jey_16 said:
my first contract with the A's just ended, they offered me $120m/7yrs but i really dont want to play for this club.....if i decline then they are just going to offer arbitration and i'm just going to be stuck for another year

they wont trade me so what else can i do? i'm thinking about getting a short 2 year contract and seeing what happens after that but i dont think its going to work since i simulated a few seasons just to see what happens and nobody else ever offers me a contract, the A's just offer me a new deal or i got to arbitration

how do i get away from this club :(

I think you need 7 years of major league service before other teams can offer you contracts in the off season.

Top Bottom