• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

I so can't wait to get this game this week.....
LOVED last year's game and so looking forward to taking my Indians to the series.

dreamer3kx said:
this shit better not be like this for long, Im planing on kicking my brother ass online, Im still getting it even if it is...........but it better not be. Even if it didn't have any online play its still miles ahead of 2k9 (ugh).

FIX THIS SHIT SONY!!:D
Hell, I couldn't connect at ALL last year because of what BRAND MY ROUTER WAS.

Good thing the offline was fantastic.

I've had some mixed games online, but nothing as horrible as that video...

Another annoying thing is that you can't check your swings in an online game. I'm hoping that's being addressed in that first patch, because that's annoying as hell!

_Angelus_

Banned
I got a call this afternoon telling me GameStop will have a party starting at 10p.m. celebrating the game's release two hours later at midnight Monday. Not much to tell other than this put a very big smile on my face. Btw,what exactly is a "party" at GameStop?
Sitting around playing the game waiting for the midnight release? Should I bring charcoal?:b
Just curious as I am there either way.

Core407

Banned
The local Target said you'll be able to get the game at 8AM on Tuesday. Shame I won't have my new PS3 until Friday (hopefully).

Another annoying thing is that you can't check your swings in an online game. I'm hoping that's being addressed in that first patch, because that's annoying as hell!

WTF. Why.

_Angelus_

Banned
templeusox said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you live in a city.

Probably the smallest one on earth but yes it qualifies as a "city."
I just didn't know they had parties over a release of a video game though,sorta weird.
I guess I'll get the Al Bundy fishing lure ready,don't wanna spend too much on strippers while there.

_Angelus_

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Midnight launch for MLB? I salute your GameStop

I knew Madden did midnight launches but thats more of an EA marketing blitz thing. Any other sports game throwing a midnight launch is crazy to me also.

HoTHiTTeR said:
The guys at my gamestop say they're doin a launch for Halo wars, but I'm welcome to get my mlb09 tomorrow night. lol.

Yea I'm gonna call to make sure they will let me buy it. I'm gonna head there and it's gonna be weird going to a midnight launch for a game I'm not buying (although I have done this before in the past but mostly because I was going with a friend).

shpankey

not an idiot
DMczaf said:
a "Good Connection" online game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijCty-ExHY

dear lord...
i think, to me, this makes the problem with their netcode obvious.. they are trying to play the game in real-time. whereas I believe High Heat of old would just send the packets of data of what was to be done over the internet to each system and then allow that system to run it locally.

i actually don't know what I'm talking about... but HH 2k online was the exact same (felt i mean) as playing offline. i don't know what voodoo they used but fuck if I wish someone would figure it out. TS09 with their netcode.... OMG!

shpankey

not an idiot
DoctorWho said:
Have you tried NHL 09's "Be a player" mode? That is definitely up there with RTTS 08.
NHL 09 Be a player is godly.

CartridgeBlower said:
So is the framerate at 60 fps when batting and pitching, unlike the demo?
I wish someone would specifically answer this. I'm pretty sure it is, but I'd love confirmation.

DoctorWho said:
Shit, my copy of MLB 09 the show just crashed back to the XMB right after finishing up an RTTS game. It was about to go into Auto-Save and just completely crashed to the XMB instead. No error message or anything... :(

EDIT: This is kind of shocking. Upon rebooting the game and going back into my RTTS it started me off at the exact moment the game crashed. That is pretty impressive even if it came after a worrying crash.
What the... that's even POSSIBLE? Wow! That is fuck-awesome. How could these guys literally be so far ahead of any developer out there with this and graphics but apparently be over 10 years behind in netcode? It doesn't even make sense.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DenogginizerOS said:
We never have any issues with lag or anything else for that matter.
Games like Fifa aren't very dependent on instant key-responses though, which allows them to absorb network latencies,fluctuations etc.
I am ignorant about baseball, but I suspect batting being reflex based is very latency sensitive.

shpankey

not an idiot
Fafalada said:
Games like Fifa aren't very dependent on instant key-responses though, which allows them to absorb network latencies,fluctuations etc.
I am ignorant about baseball, but I suspect batting being reflex based is very latency sensitive.
How would you explain High Heat 2000 though then? That was 9 years ago and they nailed it. In all honesty, it was done so well that I had thought at the time this must be one of the easiest sports for online play (save Golf).

I know there must be other sports gamers in here who played HH2k online as well (?) and can testify. Not only that, but think of the technology of the internet back then wasn't near what it is today. I was running a 128k isdn line back then.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I probably won't be able to pick mine up at Midnight (planned on going to walmart) because I have a 8:50 class tuesday morning. I have to drive about 30-40 minutes too. I guess i'll get it tuesday afternoon.

Zanick

I still have to get better at hitting and waiting on pitches. How often do you guys guess pitch location. I usually just guess 4SB every time with no location.

Windu

Zanick said:
I still have to get better at hitting and waiting on pitches. How often do you guys guess pitch location. I usually just guess 4SB every time with no location.
yeah I usually just select 4sb fastball, but then again, I suck. Sooo that might not be the best way to go.

Meier

I am waiting on GameFly to ship it. I ended up using the Keep It option for Valkyria Chronicles to free up a slot..

Windu

Was just reading the OS forums and clicked on a thread titled "Any chance 2K could buy full MLB exclusivity?" (Their deal runs through I believe 2012.) Anyway one of the SCEA devs said this:
Russell_SCEA - SCEA Community Manager said:
No need to worry the mlb already stated they aren't doing exclisives anymore
That is fucking awesome news. I guess MLB learned that Competition is a good thing.

alanias

Windu said:
Was just reading the OS forums and clicked on a thread titled "Any chance 2K could buy full MLB exclusivity?" (Their deal runs through I believe 2012.) Anyway one of the SCEA devs said this:
That is fucking awesome news. I guess MLB learned that Competition is a good thing.

It's just too bad we have to wait until 2012 for other players to enter the game. People have to play that garbage on all the non-sony systems.

Anybody out there going to a GS for midnight release tonight to get their copy? I think I might do it (Having patience sucks.) Apparently Halo Wars is coming out the same time, and they decided to sell MLB and 2k as well. My first class isn't till 11 tomorrow, so I may get a few games in before passing out.:D

Zanick said:

I turn guess ptich location off and play on All Star.

Can't wait to get home and play some more!

Anyone else shut off guess pitch, and hit influence? Just a simple swing and power swing button are enough for me. And I can seem to actually get hits this way. But is there a downside to this?

Outtrigger888 said:
Anyone else shut off guess pitch, and hit influence? Just a simple swing and power swing button are enough for me. And I can seem to actually get hits this way. But is there a downside to this?

I haven't shut off hit influence yet. I kind of like being able to suggest where I want to hit the ball.

Outtrigger888 said:

Turning off guess pitch = yes!
Hit influence = why?

In a real game, sure, you can GUESS a pitch...buuuuut does the umpire whisper, "yep, buddy, this is the one to hit" and do you see where the pitch is going to go, or does a flash occur when you GUESS if it's a fastball/curveball, etc.?

But in terms of hit influence, sometimes you want to put it to right field to try to get a speedy player from 1st to 3rd.

I mean, I get why people want guess pitch on, but as a sim player, it breaks any sense of realism for me.

Ya I was thinking of turning the influence back on, but isnt it only for ground balls and fly balls? It would be nice for tagging up runners and so on. But can you influence an oposite field hit and so on?

Windu said:
Russell_SCEA - SCEA Community Manager said:
No need to worry the mlb already stated they aren't doing exclisives anymore

This is good news. I long for the day when the NFL and the NCAA football powers-that-be decide the same thing. I'd love to see a return to competition across the board.

i leave guess pitch on because right now in 6 games played im batting .235 with 9 runs scored.
then again, im using the jays but shit man i can pitch but hitting in this game is a lot harder than 08 for me at least. and im only playing on veteran. maybe i just suck.

Outtrigger888 said:
Ya I was thinking of turning the influence back on, but isnt it only for ground balls and fly balls? It would be nice for tagging up runners and so on. But can you influence an oposite field hit and so on?

Yeah, hit influence is strictly a situational thing (sac fly/move the runner over etc). It doesnt impact which field you hit to though, thats directly related to timing and pitch location.

DevelopmentArrested said:
i leave guess pitch on because right now in 6 games played im batting .235 with 9 runs scored.
then again, im using the jays but shit man i can pitch but hitting in this game is a lot harder than 08 for me at least. and im only playing on veteran. maybe i just suck.

I'm doing pretty shitty on all-star with my RTTS character. He bat .197 for all of spring training. I don't know why I turn off guess pitch, it might have something to do with the fact that it feels like I'm defeating the purpose of playing the most realistic baseball sim on the market.

Then again, they put it in the game.

I have to adjust those sliders though. Bring the pitch speed down a little bit and improve my contact slightly.

Top Bottom