• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 11 The Show |OT| Fear the Beard™

So I rented 2K11 on the 360 since I can't play online on the PS3 and el oh fucking el. Since owning MLB 08 The Show, I've never once had disgusting messages or quitters when I played online, unless the online component was just bad. Out of my four games with 2k11, I'm 3-1 because of the three wins all three of them bitched about me pitching outside and then would quit in at least the 7th inning mark.

So amusing.

You guys should've seen the megapatch that was just added. LOL.

Also, playing with the Mets is impossible. There is so many fucking injuries and with the nature of HoF (hard to make contact but easy to hit homers) I'm screwed... If you guys use Slider sets give mine a look. NeoGAF OS Sliders ...

Also we may need people WHO WILL NOT BACK OUT for our GAF online league. PM me if interested.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I just booted up the game and didn't get a patch.
Really? Login to Sportsconnect, you may get an auto update.

Also guys, I'm hoping at some point this year (or next, dunno) to get a GAF league, 32-TEAM MEGALEAGUE. Post in the current online thread if interested.

EDIT: If R.A. Dickey goes on the DL I'm not playing online as the Mets anymore. Forget it.

graywolf323

The Frankman said:
Also we may need people WHO WILL NOT BACK OUT for our GAF online league. PM me if interested.

wish I could but with the internet I have up here for the summer I doubt I can even play online

Dammit... ok. We are getting people for our new online GAF League. If you're interested in joining post in the current MLB 11 Online thread with your PSN.

Also I promise you people this:

Next year...

MLB 12: The Show

32-TEAM GAF LEAGUE

Believe it, and I will make it happen.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Videos of the online league if people are interested to watch. 720p with lower bitrate so I could fit on youtube limits.

Game 1
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI1NFMkLto0
Giants (Corran) 0 - 4 - 1
Tigers (Turnbuckle) 3 - 6 - 2

Game 2 - Laggy Game
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SayhBuBJ6to
Giants(Corran) 0 - 3 - 1
Tigers(Turnbuckle) 3 - 6 - 0

Game 3
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtFAUKuSl7M
Giants(Corran) 1 - 6 - 1
Tigers(Turnbuckle) 5 - 11 - 0

Giants/Mets Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SkA7Bqt74
Mets - 3 - 8 - 1
Giants - 1 - 5 - 0

Giants/Mets Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqQZp3ivdN4
Mets - 2 - 9 - 0
Giants - 0 - 8 - 0

Giants/Mets Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXhLad-FOTM
Mets - 2 - 4 - 0
Giants - 3 - 7 - 0

corkscrewblow said:
How's the netcode on this? I was gonna pick it up day one but passed because I knew the online would be shit.

I lol'd. But, yeah, there's some online play vids linked one post up dude. Gives a pretty good sense of it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
corkscrewblow said:
How's the netcode on this? I was gonna pick it up day one but passed because I knew the online would be shit.
Only had one bad laggy game. Other than that its good.

graywolf323

as much as I love MLB The Show this has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen

decided to sim a year in my RTTS, I'm already the best player on my team and considered one of the best closers in the league

I ignore all the advancement goals and training sessions and at the end of May get notified I'm now the setup guy due to "poor performance" as the closer

what is this poor performance? 15 saves, 1.80 ERA, 20 IP, 1 W, only 1 BS, and a 1.35 WHIP

wtf?

graywolf323 said:
as much as I love MLB The Show this has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen

decided to sim a year in my RTTS, I'm already the best player on my team and considered one of the best closers in the league

I ignore all the advancement goals and training sessions and at the end of May get notified I'm now the setup guy due to "poor performance" as the closer

what is this poor performance? 15 saves, 1.80 ERA, 20 IP, 1 W, only 1 BS, and a 1.35 WHIP

wtf?

Your role on the team is based on whether or not you complete the advancement goals. If you went months ignoring the goals than you are going to get demoted.

graywolf323

Got the Shakes said:
Your role on the team is based on whether or not you complete the advancement goals. If you went months ignoring the goals than you are going to get demoted.

that makes the logic behind this less stupid how exactly?

Dunan

How long do the servers typically stay up? I finally broke out the MLB '09 that I bought cheaply last winter (I'm a Cubs fan, and I'd prefer to play with a Cubs team that's actually good, like our '08 squad was, as opposed to the garbage that's on the field now). I imagine anything online with this game is long over...?

lionelhutz

I just picked this up yesterday and started RTTS. Is it just me, or is auto-saving between sessions taking a lot longer in '11 than '10? It seems like I'm waiting a lot more in between games than in previous versions.

BTW we have 11, I need one more for the GAF online League.

lionelhutz said:
I just picked this up yesterday and started RTTS. Is it just me, or is auto-saving between sessions taking a lot longer in '11 than '10? It seems like I'm waiting a lot more in between games than in previous versions.
I think it's due to the rotating stadium images in the background, because the data is the same.
graywolf323 said:
Dude, face it. You're a troublemaker. Showing up your coaches and not listening to them, ignoring your advancement goals... disgraceful.

graywolf323 said:

I'm not saying that there isn't a better way that they could handle things, but within the confines of the games you know what it takes to keep your position on the team and if you willingly ignore the advancement goals then you know what the penalty will be.

I've been playing for awhile now... what strategy do you guys use at the dish? I try to run up the pitch count online to the point of taking a ton of hittable pitches the 1st time through the batting order. I try to get the opposing pitcher to around 75 pitches by the 5th inning... then go for the kill. The thing is it costs me since I kinda only give myself 6-7 legitimate innings of offense, but I look for two good swings per AB.

Also moving the PCI before touching the X button is so tough at times, but when you finally mash a pitch on the outside corner and you see that ball dead center of the PCI you moved it feels great.

ajf009

So what's up with Cubs P Andrew Cashner? he throw around 97-99 mph but in the game he only gets about 91-93 tops

ajf009 said:
So what's up with Cubs P Andrew Cashner? he throw around 97-99 mph but in the game he only gets about 91-93 tops
Sony SD usually gives pitchers on average 4-5 extra MPH and if you max the bar you can abuse it but you lose stamina faster + less control.

As for pitches, they go by scouting reports, and some are bad. Regarding pitches usually if you post on their thread about a pitcher missing a pitch in ShowNation.com they'll look to add in it a future patch/game.

How do you guys feel about hitting? I see a lot a zone hitters online and it drives me nuts, but then I see alot of rookies who really don't know how to hit. With that said, I'm not a good hitter (.210 playing at mostly HoF level). But I feel I put myself in a position to succeed most games.

My Keys To Hitting:

a) You will never get better w/o Practice: Whether it's RTTS or Practice Mode, use it. I've played since MLB 07 (MLB 09 was my first purchase) and what I used to do was take 200 swings a week (20 a hitter/10 hitters) with my smallest PCI batters via a pitcher with a good arsenal (AJ Burnett or Joba Chamberlain I liked to face). Why? If I made good contact with their small PCI's that same contact would be better with your better hitters' bigger PCI's. Da_Czar's vid made for a perfect reference, and this year Practice Mode is even more specialized to help you. Ironically, I don't use Practice mode anymore because of the next point.
b) Make a RTTS Hitter: Considering you start off in AA with dirt crap stats, if you're able to progress and level up your guy via hitting you must be doing a good job. Personally I feel the Default settings turn the pitchers into strikethrowing machines, so I use the tweaked Operation Sports sliders for my RTTS guy. There pitchers will actually try and throw bad pitches to hitters, and it forced me to learn the strike zone and stay patient.
c) Learn your opponent: Playing Online alot you'll run into alot of players who use less than reputable tactics... the Quickstealer, the Junkballer, and worst of all the Intentional Zone Sitter. A good way to hit is find out what the tactics of the opposing player are, and make him adjust. Guy spamming curves in the dirt? Make him elevate it by taking it. When you've got a few walks you force the pitcher to stay in the zone.
d) Make a gameplan: I'm patient to a fault and prefer to drive up pitch counts online and have pitchers tired by the 5th/6th inning because I trust my batting eye even behind in the count. However, I also know that pitchers adjust to that and the minute I get a 1st pitch fastball down the middle after taking it to 2-3 straight guys I'm crushing it. My feeling is this: You're going to strike out a ton in this game due to crappy camera angle anyway, if I can get 2 good swings an AB I'm happy. It's best to develop some kind of hitting philosophy based on the sum of your experiences.

Biggest point? LEARN THE STRIKEZONE AND MOVE YOUR PCI. Every player has their own personal zone. A simple press of L3 shows that and even on All-Star very few players have a PCI that covers the whole zone. Whether it's unintentional ("Lazy L-stick Thumb/Quick Button Thumb") or not, alot of times players never move their PCIs even on Power swings. So what most pitchers will do is work on/just off the corners, and you never really square up the ball unless it's a mistake pitch or Superb Timing. The difference between a liner in the gap and a hard chopper to the 2nd baseman can be moving your PCI a bit down on a sinker low.

I plan on picking this game up soon (either today or tomorrow) but I'd be interested in joining the league even if I have to play as the tigers (unless anyone wants to trade!). I'm not terribly good at the show, I didn't play last year's but played a ton of the year before.

Send me a message: Reagan_Stein

Vega

Just picked this up last night. How do you fire your manager in franchise mode? The Bucs still have Russell.

I'm entirely not sure but alot of the old managers are still there because they were hired after the mo-cap date. Mets still have Jerry Manuel. :(

Has anyone here ever come close to winning the Weekly Challenge? Scored my highest yesterday with about 211K, which is nowhere near the high score. I never use more than a Free Try though...

The Frankman said:
One thing I'm waiting for is the mid-season Knight165 roster... I think he still does that.

Has this happened yet. I'm thinking of starting a new franchise and just dimming to mid-season.

For you MLB 11 guys the rosters reset Monday, tonight is the last night you can play Carlos Beltran as a Met...

:-C

I've lost my smile...
ajf009 said:
god dammitt fix the Wrigley Field robbing HR shit. YOU CANT DO THAT
Yes you can! You power through and no-sell the wire!

punkypine

i just got the the game... why are the phillies ranked 14th?

are the rankings worthless or player ratings really off? i dont get it

edit: i dont know if i was on the current rosters or what, now they're 5th. the way the rosters work is strange...

Yeah I don't know whats going on with that. Went to play a quick game with the Tigers and saw their ranking was #1...... Pfft I wish.

Finally hit my first in the park home run. It was a walk off hr no less too. I squealed like a girl.

JWong said:
I should get this game.

Are there minigames for kids? Like, maybe just batting practice?
There is Home Run Derby mode. If you want a baseball game for kids then Id look forward to the Nick Toons game coming out on all three systems.

Top Bottom