• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 11 The Show |OT| Fear the Beard™

nocode

Sooooo, I'm playing RTTS, and I get a notice that the Mets have made a trade. Chris Young, Manny Acosta, and Jose Reyes to the Cardinals for Timothy Bush and Thomas Doby..............

I'm confused.

eznark

Banned
So, the RTTS injury micro-transaction.

I thought nothing of the complaints on the last page until my guy breaks his foot and is out for 60 days. Lo and behold, the little $ icon starts blinking at the bottom of the screen letting you know that for a couple bucks, you can wonder heal! That blinking icon does not go away until after you are healed.

Gross.

BTW played my 1st online game, HoF/GP Off/No Zones as usual. Faced the Angels and I was the Mets, what a game. Playing on an old SD after playing The Show exclusively in HD is brutal, I used the old controls.

1-8-0
0-4-0

Guy pitched a helluva game with Dan Haren, I used Jon Niese and gutted thru 6.2 because I was terrified of going to the pen (I only knew Parnell and Rodriguez well). I blew some late chances but managed hold on despite striking out like 9 times. I'm rusty but I was surprised my recognition was ok. When I finish helping out family and get back to NY I hope I'll be ready.

2nd game I lost due to guy using Quicksteals, so fucking annoying.

If it's people who are bunters I have no issue (Reyes and Castillo I try to bunt with once a game). I have a problem with Kevin Youkilis or effing J.D. Drew trying it.

The warping on the steal isn't as much as last year, but it's still there. They really need to fix it... I will say Zone Hitting is starting to be a real problem. Guys are starting to do 9 innings of camping certain zones or keeping the hit circle dead center. It's actually easy enough to counter, but still annoying.

Knight165 said:
Yep...everything should be dark green soon.
Then a little bit of testing and simming....and we'll be good to go.

We did have to tweak ratings both up and down for a more uniform feel to the set. It's a product of "many hands" I would say. .......just needed to be done.
It's looking really good right now.
Colorado is going dark green tonight...Florida should be by tomorrow night...and just waiting on Boston/Oakland(same guy doing faces) ...and you read about Pittsburgh.
"True" Opening Day is looking like a possibility!

Again, I can't thank the guys enough for all the help.
There is no way it would have gotten completed this quickly without it.

Nice job all around fellas!

M.K.
Knight165
I cannot believe everything might be ready that soon. Amazing job by Knight165 and the OS Community.

I need those Knights rosters soon. I'm getting tired of not being promoted to the Majors by the stupid Diamondbacks.

Fuck you Diamondbacks!

:(

Jesus tapdancing Christ it is SOOOOOO HARD to hit on HoF this year. They definitely tweaked hitting, I had to use All-Star yesterday. This definitely had an affect on the testing I'm doing no far (simming and playing)... ugh.

also no more Luis Castillo on the Mets on this update! Enjoy Phils!

eznark

Banned
Trade "logic" is really dumb. I'm an 18 year old outfielder who worked my way up to a starting outfielder in AAA. I missed two advancement goals (fielding percentage because of a drop on a can of corn and home runs) and all of a sudden Doug Melvin decides he has put too much time into my three month career to put up with this not meeting goals nonsense and I am traded to the Tigers. I imagine if I miss another goal I will be traded again. That's how it worked last year and it's moronic.

The Frankman said:
Nice read on RTTS Trade Logic by Kotaku

Kotaku jag said:
MLB 11 The Show is proudly realistic

hahahahahahahahhaa

What teams don't trade an 18 year old who has become the starting left fielder and hits clean up every day because of a dropped ball and only hitting 2 home runs in a two week span?

turnbuckle

The Frankman said:
Jesus tapdancing Christ it is SOOOOOO HARD to hit on HoF this year. They definitely tweaked hitting, I had to use All-Star yesterday. This definitely had an affect on the testing I'm doing no far (simming and playing)... ugh.

also no more Luis Castillo on the Mets on this update! Enjoy Phils!

I stopped playing online after the first day because I was so frustrated with the hitting. I hate to use it, but I've been going timing on my rtts player. I'm gonna be fucked once the league starts up and I have to readjust, but I just couldn't seem to get the zone hitting down this year.

One thing that would help me personally would be if you could still direct the PCI after pressing the swing button. Sometimes I'll find myself aiming in a certain direction, but because I hit the swing button a millisecond earlier my PCI is still centered. I could get away with this shortcoming in the past, but the new zone hitting is pretty unforgiving. At least in my limited experience. I was striking out about 20 times per game over 3 games this year all on HoF...I never did that poorly in 2008-2010.

Corran Horn said:
RTTS is so much better as pitcher now. Points on if Im covering a base n stuff. Good stuff.

Completely agree. No more stupid penalties for not completing goals that often are out of your control.

bucknuticus said:
Not to mention you can actually be a closer this year. In past versions you couldn't get enough points to meet your advancement goals let alone improve thing you actually wanted to improve. Although I'm still sick of my advancement goals being put points in stamina when mines already mid 70s.

Yeah, being told to train for bunting as a relief pitcher in the American League always seemed a bit silly too. I just go starter now and set the manager hook slider all the way down.

The microtransaction healing is dumb. I had two different rtts players get injured within the first month (injury slider moved to 3) and decided I'd just turn injuries off completely. What a scam.

Not to mention you can actually be a closer this year. In past versions you couldn't get enough points to meet your advancement goals let alone improve thing you actually wanted to improve. Although I'm still sick of my advancement goals being put points in stamina when mines already mid 70s.

graywolf323

eznark said:
hahahahahahahahhaa

What teams don't trade an 18 year old who has become the starting left fielder and hits clean up every day because of a dropped ball and only hitting 2 home runs in a two week span?

I managed to not get traded but there were some crazy trades done by the CPU between teams it controlled

Jayson Werth was somehow dumped by the Nationals in 2011 for a bunch of no name prospects, I'd have to check where but Lincecum got traded etc.

I really hope they focus on that next year because it's just crazy

bucknuticus said:

yeah you'd think when you reach the point of being the next Mariano Rivera they'd stop with the stupid advancement goals

eznark said:
Trade "logic" is really dumb. I'm an 18 year old outfielder who worked my way up to a starting outfielder in AAA. I missed two advancement goals (fielding percentage because of a drop on a can of corn and home runs) and all of a sudden Doug Melvin decides he has put too much time into my three month career to put up with this not meeting goals nonsense and I am traded to the Tigers. I imagine if I miss another goal I will be traded again. That's how it worked last year and it's moronic.

hahahahahahahahhaa

It happens alot. Maybe the GM/Minor league scout doesn't like you or is grooming someone else for the spot. In this day of baseball GMs what you said isn't surprising.
I stopped playing online after the first day because I was so frustrated with the hitting. I hate to use it, but I've been going timing on my rtts player. I'm gonna be fucked once the league starts up and I have to readjust, but I just couldn't seem to get the zone hitting down this year.

One thing that would help me personally would be if you could still direct the PCI after pressing the swing button. Sometimes I'll find myself aiming in a certain direction, but because I hit the swing button a millisecond earlier my PCI is still centered. I could get away with this shortcoming in the past, but the new zone hitting is pretty unforgiving. At least in my limited experience. I was striking out about 20 times per game over 3 games this year all on HoF...I never did that poorly in 2008-2010.
Timing issue. Play on All-Star and don't swing until you're sure. If you're patient at the plate you won't have too many problems. Remember, most people online don't want to throw strikes... let them not throw strikes.

The sliders I'm working on will probably take another week, Knight's roster by Monday-Tuesday at the latest I hear.

Good read on PCI Lock (ignore flaming and focus on 2nd page, last paragraph)

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
It happens alot. Maybe the GM/Minor league scout doesn't like you or is grooming someone else for the spot. In this day of baseball GMs what you said isn't surprising.

Find me one example. A just drafted 18 year old who is the starting outfielder in AAA in their first season, who is then traded for zero value (it was another AAA position player). You won't be able to find a single instance.

eznark said:
Find me one example. A just drafted 18 year old who is the starting outfielder in AAA in their first season, who is then traded for zero value (it was another AAA position player). You won't be able to find a single instance.
... how did you start in AAA? game usually defaults to AA.

If then I think they raised the stakes on you, usually in the past when you're in AAA you're more likely to get called up/dealt. You might've missed a few goals and disappointed management, more likely Brewers thought Carlos Gomez/Dickerson/Braun >>>>>>>> you; check what the ML team has. Or maybe the trade logic works fine imitating Brewers management. :D

I mean if we really want to go there how many draftees go straight to AA/AAA? Why not start out in the Gulf Coast League/Single A? Tell me, If your player was in A would you feel better or understand the move more? Maybe the AI is overcompensating, I'm not saying it's good but not every trade is bad AI logic.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
... how did you start in AAA? game usually defaults to AA.

If then I think they raised the stakes on you, usually in the past when you're in AAA you're more likely to get called up/dealt. You might've missed a few goals and disappointed management, more likely Brewers thought Carlos Gomez/Dickerson/Braun >>>>>>>> you. Or maybe the trade logic works fine imitating Brewers management. :D

I mean if we really want to go there how many draftees go straight to AA/AAA? Why not start out in the Gulf Coast League/Single A?

But we're specifically talking about trade logic, so that's a completely different issue. I did start at AA, but worked my way to starting outfielder in AAA. Within a month I get a message saying missing goals is unacceptable. The next day I am traded. It's a jokey, arcadey game mechanic. That's fine, it is what it is. But to pretend like your transaction system is somehow grounded in realism? lol

Trades exist solely to punish you for not meeting whatever arbitrary and randomly generated goal the game decides you should strive for.

eznark said:
Trades exist solely to punish you for not meeting whatever arbitrary and randomly generated goal the game decides you should strive for.
... whoawhoawhoa, so rookies aren't judged on that in the minors? How many rooks are there in the Minors and stay down an extra year or two needing to learn to hit a curve/take walks/etc. you know, arbitrary goals? Now I agree a quick hook isn't needed in being traded and they definitely have to tweak that, but I'm saying not every instance is shitty logic. My case last year was perfect example... It's somewhere around here.

Was a 2B, hit ok but made alot of errors first year, 2nd year was a top prospect for the Mets. Made the Futures game. Wound up being packaged with Ike Davis for Ricky Romero, and a couple of Jays pitchers. Now that's last year with the even "worse" logic/goal system.
Saving and simming the off season takes sooo long in RTTS =(
THIS OMG THIS. It used to take 5 seconds last year, what info is being added to the save? Looks like same amount of MB in the save.

eznark

Banned
My point is that there is nothing realistic about it. No team is going to trade an 18 year old who has worked their way to the starting lineup in AAA in their first season as a pro for a journeyman shitty AAA player. An 18 year old AAA starting position player is fucking GOLD. Calling the RTTS or even the franchise modes realistic is an absolute farce. This is an arcade sports game, plain and simple.

turnbuckle

The Frankman said:
THIS OMG THIS. It used to take 5 seconds last year, what info is being added to the save? Looks like same amount of MB in the save.

Dunno what you were playing, but simming the offseason took forever last year too. Why oh why must it take so damn long?Nevermind, misread what you said. Yeah...the saving takes forever. Hangs at 100% for a goddamned eternity.

Also, agree with Eznark. I got traded from the Mets AAA team to Toronto for Nate Robertson. I cheese my rtts (sliders in my favor, spent $5 at the beginning to upgrade some attributes) and had about a 1.300 OBPS through 80ish games. I had 40+ steals, but got caught stealing once and was told not to steal again. I simmed a game, the AI decided to steal and got caught during this sim, and I was benched. A day later I was traded.

Super stud fast track to hall of fame AAA player traded for Nate Robertson. 1 for 1. BS.

Just a thought: wouldn't it be cool if they had syllables for surnames in parts that you can link together to sound your surname if it's not on the list in RTTS?!

I was shocked that they had my name (Erin - im a guy), but it never gets used because they don't have my real surname. I had to settle with Beard, because I find it amusing when the announcer says Beard.

Thoughts?

forever+copy.jpg

I think the long saves are because of the ballpark images loading in the backscreen. Last year saves loaded on the PS3 black screen.
turnbuckle said:
Also, agree with Eznark. I got traded from the Mets AAA team to Toronto for Nate Robertson. I cheese my rtts (sliders in my favor, spent $5 at the beginning to upgrade some attributes) and had about a 1.300 OBPS through 80ish games. I had 40+ steals, but got caught stealing once and was told not to steal again. I simmed a game, the AI decided to steal and got caught during this sim, and I was benched. A day later I was traded.

Super stud fast track to hall of fame AAA player traded for Nate Robertson. 1 for 1. BS.

Rebellious whelp and dirty cheat. Probably got found out, lucky Major League Baseball didn't suspend your cheesing ass.

turnbuckle

The Frankman said:
I think the long saves are because of the ballpark images loading in the backscreen. Last year saves loaded on the PS3 black screen.

Rebellious whelp and dirty cheat. Probably got found out, lucky Major League Baseball didn't suspend your cheesing ass.

haha perhaps but i do a "god mode" rtts every year while i wait for knight's rosters and online play. How else am I gonna get the 1xx steals trophy? :p

This game is messed up. It just showed the league leaders and said Felix Hernandez has a 22.000 batting average, 1 home run, and 222 RBIs.

...help me make sense of that!

Meohsix

evil_as_skeletor said:
Just a thought: wouldn't it be cool if they had syllables for surnames in parts that you can link together to sound your surname if it's not on the list in RTTS?!

I was shocked that they had my name (Erin - im a guy), but it never gets used because they don't have my real surname. I had to settle with Beard, because I find it amusing when the announcer says Beard.

Thoughts?

That would be pretty cool. They have my first name but not my last. so i have to use my middle name =/

EDIT:
turnbuckle said:
This game is messed up. It just showed the league leaders and said Felix Hernandez has a 22.000 batting average, 1 home run, and 222 RBIs.

You think thats weird? LOOK AT THIS!
PPj3k.jpg

Cruceh

Banned
turnbuckle said:
haha perhaps but i do a "god mode" rtts every year while i wait for knight's rosters and online play. How else am I gonna get the 1xx steals trophy? :p

Yeah, I think the way the loading screen does the stats is messed up. Have the time it's all 0s or doesn't make sense like that one

nocode

eznark said:

Explain this trade from the other day that I encountered during my RTTS (as a 2nd baseman in AA for the Mets.)

nocode said:
Sooooo, I'm playing RTTS, and I get a notice that the Mets have made a trade. Chris Young, Manny Acosta, and Jose Reyes to the Cardinals for Timothy Bush and Thomas Doby..............

I'm confused.

eznark

Banned
nocode said:
Explain this trade from the other day that I encountered during my RTTS (as a 2nd baseman in AA for the Mets.)

Dayton Moore and Steve Phillips were the consulting GM's?

I don't know, like all sports games the more I play v. CPU and in franchise modes etc, where the computer has to make decisions, the less impressed I am by it. It's pretty much impossible to enjoy a franchise mode when retarded shit like that is happening all the time.

Right now I'm falling on the disappointed end for this iteration. The gameplay is of course awesome, but everything surrounding it seems to be worse than ever. Challenge of the Week would be pretty cool if they gave you three chances, instead of giving you one then expecting you to pay dolla's for any more. No thanks. Analog hitting I am starting to like and the additional camera options are nice. Online is still intermittently broken and the AI somehow got exceedingly dumber.

I wouldn't be so disappointed except that last years game was a refinement, there weren't a ton of new things in it. I expected a lot out of the Show this year and honestly, it has not delivered.

Still, love the game and will play the shit out of it online.

bjb

Banned
Not sure if it's been posted here yet - as I just found it over at Operation Sports (where I'm apparently banned from now for criticizing Ian Cummings / Madden's "Franchise Mode" direction :lol), but there's a new title update in the works. Here's the Franchise Fixes:

Russell_SCEA said:
While I do not have a time frame for the next title update, I figured the franchise guys would want to know what has been changed in franchise mode. The list below is what has been checked into the game so far.

This list does not include any other changes and bug fixes fyi.

* Cause players with low overall to retire sooner.
* Fixed a bug causing players to not store their initial attribute levels at the start of each season, causing progression in the offseason to appear much larger than it was since it was being calculated to the start of 2011, regardless of the current season.
* Decisions on contract options need to be made sooner since the exclusive negotiation period was shortened from 15 to 5 days.
* Only players with 6+ years of service time should be flagged as type A or type B free agents.
* Players were progressing to their potential at age 26 instead of 30.
* 99 ovr players were not correctly normalizing to 1.0f.
* Adjusted salary curve and fixed issues with salaries in short seasons.
* Don't backload contracts that are less than $5M per year or less than 4 years.
* Adjusted how potentials are assigned to generated players.
* More logic to see if a contract should be tendered to a player before allowing him to become a free agent. Also, more accurate calculation for salary reserved for minor league players under the team's control.
* Fixed some bugs with the popup message in multi-user franchise mode when minor league teams secure a bye in the playoffs.
* Make sure any player who is decent (75 ovr, 75 potential) are being offered arbitration. Also, make sure free agents were offered arbitration by the CPU and teams didn't receive compensation picks for players to whom they didn't offer arbitration.
* Make sure that contract offers and arbitration offers aren't cleared when a player becomes a free agent at the end of the 5 day exclusive negotiation period.
* Need more 1 year contracts for arbitration eligible players.
* Make the best available player the most valuable if the team is missing minor leaguers.
* Set team strategies for the user teams as well.
* All minor leaguers should have 1 year contracts by default.
* Treat CPU controlled user teams as CPU teams for purposes of reducing trades during the season.

newjeruse

bjb said:
(where I'm apparently banned from now for criticizing Ian Cummings / Madden's "Franchise Mode" direction :lol), but there's a new title update in the works. Here's the Franchise Fixes:
*high five*

I'm banned for inferring that MLB 11 might have rubberband AI.

gray_fox224

Fuck analog controls. Too difficult. I may keep it on pitching only.

How is Gaf on this? Are most of you using it? I love "timing" mode for batting.

Mlb_Animator said:
Just curious...

"Rubberband AI" What do you mean?

Rubber band AI is the classic concept of a computer opponent doing some impossible crap to always come back from a big deficit to either win or make it really close when all logic dictates it should have been a blow out.

newjeruse said:
*high five*

I'm banned for inferring that MLB 11 might have rubberband AI.

Every year same claim, and I still don't get this, and I have never experienced it. I play situational baseball, watch my pitchers stamina as well as his match up. Play the versus game late check the hitters zones you know like they do in real life scout your opponent. And don't be so predictable, the AI will adapt and learn your routine, you know Batter A is coming up I always pitch too him this way up and in 2 times(fb family) CU low and away for the strike out pitch.

And if they do get a rally going figure out how to shut them down instead of falling into the placebo effect.

You were probably band because people claim this all the time and not realize its user error.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Rubber band AI is the classic concept of a computer opponent doing some impossible crap to always come back from a big deficit to either win or make it really close when all logic dictates it should have been a blow out.

I think he knows what it means, Mlb animator is a dev for SCEA SD. He probably wants him too explain his situation.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
So, starting off my career in AA. Was batting .380 at the beginning of June. Left June batting .313. I was batting horribly. How I was pitched to changed. It's like they figured out I was just sitting, waiting for fastballs

newjeruse

Mlb_Animator said:
Just curious...

"Rubberband AI" What do you mean?
Like when I'm up 2-0 in the 9th and Daniel Bard throws a perfect 2-seam fastball three inches off the plate, but Maicer Izturis reaches out and pulls a 395 foot HR to RF in Fenway. I'm dominating the game, all contact prior to that is weak, and the computer can't figure me out. It's an unhittable pitch, thrown at max effort, by a good pitcher and spotted perfectly, but a slap hitter drops his bat head and pulls a HR. The second the game needs to tighten up, it does. This obviously isn't an isolated incident and it happens in my favor many times too, which is why I'm calling it rubberband AI and not cheating AI. Sports games can get around this term by throwing in some type of "Clutch" factor.

gluv65 said:
I think he knows what it means, Mlb animator is a dev for SCEA SD. He probably wants him too explain his situation.

Yes, I probably should have worded my question a little more clearly... I was wondering what examples people have seen of this.

Over the years, I have asked our engineers about it, because every year it comes up, and I always get the same response from them..which is, we don't have "comeback logic."

I believe we actually did include an option to turn some type of "comeback logic" on a couple of versions ago because users requested it (although I am not sure why. :) )...but I *think* that just entailed giving the CPU a small boost in stats, etc if they were down by a certain amount or something.. Which of course begs the question....if you added the option, then it must have been there all along, right? Well, I asked about that then...and was told "No."

Funny thing is... I recall watching, in real-life, the Dodgers hit 4 home runs in a row against the Padres in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game, and then win it in the bottom of the 10 with a walk-off HR and thinking to myself, 'Wow...if that ever happened in our game, I would NEVER hear the end of it!!"

Mlb_Animator said:
Yes, I probably should have worded my question a little more clearly... I was wondering what examples people have seen of this.

Over the years, I have asked our engineers about it, because every year it comes up, and I always get the same response from them..which is, we don't have "comeback logic."

I believe we actually did include an option to turn some type of "comeback logic" on a couple of versions ago because users requested it (although I am not sure why. :) )...but I *think* that just entailed giving the CPU a small boost in stats, etc if they were down by a certain amount or something.. Which of course begs the question....if you added the option, then it must have been there all along, right? Well, I asked about that then...and was told "No."

Funny thing is... I recall watching, in real-life, the Dodgers hit 4 home runs in a row against the Padres in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game, and then win it in the bottom of the 10 with a walk-off HR and thinking to myself, 'Wow...if that ever happened in our game, I would NEVER hear the end of it!!"
As per your example of the Dodgers game, whoever was pitching must have had a lapse and threw a meatball down the guts to end it. Human error.

Whereas in this video game, you can throw countless 'perfect' pitches, and the AI still seems to defy logic and start rallying together men on bases and HRs.

It is obvious, maybe more so to the casual player.

I have seen many games of baseball, played many years of baseball, late innings rallies are not uncommon, but that is usually due to human error, and concentration lapses, not miscued button combinations.

Just saying....

bjb

Banned
At any rate I'm just really happy that there's a sports gaming franchise out there, that genuinely seems to care about one of its core modes. Regardless of how popular it may be in relation to its other features.

Where as other developers *cough Tribune*, release the same product yearly, under the guise of "for the true sim gamers", while never updating or touching particular aspects of their product.

Top Bottom