• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 11 The Show |OT| Fear the Beard™

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Like I said, the first month is when the major patches are made. Check Sony's blog and OS Sports for info.

Unless you want updates on server status, cause no way they are going to admit they know fuck-all about making that stuff work.

Wheres the user rosters, remember in The Show 09 they had user roster downloads in the mp section, I didn't purchase last years game so Im not sure if this feature was removed.

dreamer3kx said:
Wheres the user rosters, remember in The Show 09 they had user roster downloads in the mp section, I didn't purchase last years game so Im not sure if this feature was removed.

Not sure where the feature is located but it's best just to wait for Knights rosters over at OS before starting a Franchise. Full major and minor leagues.

Tried the game out for the first time tonight. Everything feels really similar to 10, as expected. Home Run Derby was a lot of fun. Analog controls work well enough, but I feel so used to the classic controls, that I don't really see the advantage to switching over at this point.

I played an exhibition just to try out the new analog mechanics. I got my ass handed to me. Like going back to how I was back when I got 08 and was so bad at the game.

Also, why the hell is Bobby Cox still the manager in the game? I know for a fact they announced Fredi as the manager a long ass time ago.

Kill The Bat said:
Tried the game out for the first time tonight. Everything feels really similar to 10, as expected. Home Run Derby was a lot of fun. Analog controls work well enough, but I feel so used to the classic controls, that I don't really see the advantage to switching over at this point.

I played an exhibition just to try out the new analog mechanics. I got my ass handed to me. Like going back to how I was back when I got 08 and was so bad at the game.

Also, why the hell is Bobby Cox still the manager in the game? I know for a fact they announced Fredi as the manager a long ass time ago.
Yeah I think that's being handled in the Opening Day roster update... I hope they don't use the rookie excuse.

The Frankman said:
Yeah I think that's being handled in the Opening Day roster update... I hope they don't use the rookie excuse.

Well, I actually did download a roster, but maybe I have to manually load it. I'll try that in a few and see if that makes any difference.

I hate how some of the managers aren't represented. What's that about?

Don Mattingly isn't managing the Dodgers. Instead, it's some black guy. Eric Wedge isn't managing the Mariners. Again, some black guy. Terry Collins also isn't managing the Mets.

It can't be an issue of new managers because Fredi Gonzalez is managing the Braves.

WOOOOOOOO my copy arrived in New York! I might go up and grab it...

CAN'T WAIT
AnEternalEnigma said:
I hate how some of the managers aren't represented. What's that about?

Don Mattingly isn't managing the Dodgers. Instead, it's some black guy. Eric Wedge isn't managing the Mariners. Again, some black guy. Terry Collins also isn't managing the Mets.

It can't be an issue of new managers because Fredi Gonzalez is managing the Braves.
I think what happened is they didn't have the facial data for some of these guys (never were hitting/pitching coach before?) so now they're waiting until the start of the season to actually update them. Which means they'll wait until a week before/after the season starts to fix it...

Sanjuro

AnEternalEnigma said:
Don Mattingly isn't managing the Dodgers. Instead, it's some black guy.
AMApt.jpg

Kill The Bat said:
Well, I actually did download a roster, but maybe I have to manually load it. I'll try that in a few and see if that makes any difference.

Yes, when you download a roster you have to manually load it afterwards. Also, if you start up something like Franchise, it should ask you which roster you want to use.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Supposedly, the Operation Sports full minors roster will be out by the end of the weekend.

That seems earlier than usual. I remember them being out a day or two after the season starts. When do most rosters get finalized?

DoctorWho said:
Yes, when you download a roster you have to manually load it afterwards. Also, if you start up something like Franchise, it should ask you which roster you want to use.

Great, thanks for the help. I'm waiting for the OS minors roster before starting my franchise!

turnbuckle

Patch 1.10 released

Below is the list of fixes for title update 1.01. We are still testing bugs and other issues that the community has reported for a second more comprehensive title update.

- "Jackson" available in last name audio database for created players

- Collision issues...ARZ and SF... fixed where the ball would roll into and out of the stadium

- Fixed the issue in Manage only Mode....you are locked out from moving your controller when accessing the pinch hit...defensive sub

- The double switch screen(after pinch hitting for the pitcher in the bullpen screen.....it works if you have your pitcher on the mound) also won't let you move the controller OR even hit X to keep your position player in the game.

- Fixed the bug where you couldn't practice swing if it was going to be a pitchouts..

- Fixed the stutter issue on the catcher throwback

- Fixed franchise bug where team records show 0's on initial team select screen

- Generated players in season modes now have a variety of generic stances, instead of one. Use subset of custom batting stances to randomly assign the generated players

- Fixed online post game lock, having to do with controller assignment when your opponent goes into the Quick Menu>Bullpen

DoctorWho said:
That seems earlier than usual. I remember them being out a day or two after the season starts. When do most rosters get finalized?

Last year's was ready in the first week of April. The guy that does the rosters says the new Player Vault that was implemented has sped things up big time.

DoctorWho said:
This year Knight hired a lot of people from the forums and had one person do each team, as opposed to having his buds do everything and him doing them/overseeing it. Plus Knight himself is doing the Mets this year! :D
- Collision issues...ARZ and SF... fixed where the ball would roll into and out of the stadium
I lol'd.

hiryu2015

Holy shit this game is great. I played through the demo several times over the weekend and finally decided to pick it up today.

First full game, A's-RedSox in Fenway. I'm using Buchholz against Cahill. Game is tied 0-0 through the 8th when I pull Buchholz for Bard. Top of the 9th, second inning of work for Bard and Crawford allows a runner to reach 2nd on a throwing error with 1 out. Runner advances to third on the 2nd out and I get a 3-2 count to the A's SS. Since I got the hang of the analog pitching with the demo, I place a perfect slider in on the batter, swinging strike out.

The CPU finally pulls Cahill (who had 14 Ks; I've only managed 2 hits, a walk and one reached on error) and the first batter of the inning is Crawford. The reliever throws two strikes before Crawford takes it deep just inside the Pesky Pole--so awesome.

Too bad I had to use the Sox for that awesomeness.

Hey guys, I'm in Australia, desperately waiting for this game to arrive from overseas, and wondering if any of you would know if the MLB.TV redemption codes are still able to be used.

I am trying to see if my internet speed is ample and if it is capable of streaming before i purchase the MLB.TV package, but unlike the Iphone app, there are no 'free games' to watch.

I have an MLB.com login, but i do not have MLB.TV yet, so i was wondering if anyone had a spare 9-digit code, i can try to see if its worth me purchasing.

I know this is a huge ask, but i am hoping that someone on here would not be using one and could part with it, flinging it my way.

Cheers.

Also, is there any confirmation that the "Silver" and "Gold" era teams have been withdrawn from this iteration of The Show?

Chaucer said:
MLB.TV redemption codes don't work until opening day, so you're gonna have to wait that long anyway.

Ok, cheers.

So to reiterate, the codes start as of April 1 for 30 days. So no Spring training previews - and no way to test if it works just yet?

Cool.

As i dont think i get the code with the copy i purchased, i would still like to extend my interest in being given a code that someone doesnt want, please.

graywolf323

Chaucer said:
MLB.TV redemption codes don't work until opening day, so you're gonna have to wait that long anyway.

yes they do, I claimed mine day 1 when I bought the game

your sub is good through 30 days from opening day (so through April 30th) but you get spring training as well

Chaucer

graywolf323 said:
your sub is good through 30 days from opening day (so through April 30th) but you get spring training as well
that's what i was thinking of. or maybe that the PS3 app doesn't work until opening day. speaking of which i hope they update the app so that i can watch the video feed with the radio broadcast dubbed over top like you can do in NexDef.

Error1355

FINALBOSS said:
Have you guys seen all this microtransactions this game has in the PSN store? It was crazy.

I won't be doing the weekly challenges at all since it costs something per extra try. Also the $1 for extra statistics on the stats pages is crazy. >_>

Drek

Square Triangle said:
If anyone is an advocate on the RLS, you can get MLB 11, a Show Rally towel and a Show shirt for $25.00 total.
Where did you find a place to buy stuff on the RLS site?

nocode

FINALBOSS said:
Have you guys seen all this microtransactions this game has in the PSN store? It was crazy.

Like the one that lets you pay $1 to fix your RTTS player if he gets injured? That is such complete bullshit. Whats to stop them from causing more injuries than usual just to milk a few bucks from their customers?

Wow. Every game I have ends up decided by a single run. Why is it always like this in the MLB series? Feels so scripted. Just had a 15 inning game decided 2-1. Game before that was 1-0. Game before that was 8-7 (where I led 7-2). I don't know how people can argue scripted A.I. doesn't exist in this series. It's more obvious in The Show than any sports series I've ever played.

And has anyone else had a problem dropping fly balls? I'm talking guys being in perfect position, hand up, and the ball just goes by them an inch. Happened twice in one game for me and it was the reason I lost. Is this a glitch or is it just supposed to be an error? Been playing this series for years and I've never seen this happen once, let alone twice in a single game and now three times overall. Really weak stuff.

hiryu2015

CartridgeBlower said:
Wow. Every game I have ends up decided by a single run. Why is it always like this in the MLB series? Feels so scripted. Just had a 15 inning game decided 2-1. Game before that was 1-0. Game before that was 8-7 (where I led 7-2). I don't know how people can argue scripted A.I. doesn't exist in this series. It's more obvious in The Show than any sports series I've ever played.

And has anyone else had a problem dropping fly balls? I'm talking guys being in perfect position, hand up, and the ball just goes by them an inch. Happened twice in one game for me and it was the reason I lost. Is this a glitch or is it just supposed to be an error? Been playing this series for years and I've never seen this happen once, let alone twice in a single game and now three times overall. Really weak stuff.

The only two close games I've played were decided by walk-offs (the first was described above; I led the second game 3-0 but allowed them to tie in the 8th before they won in the 9th). The rest were CPU blowouts where I gave them one big inning where almost all their runs were scored. I'm getting better but I've noticed the close games as well.

I'm also have trouble with line drives, even if the outfielder is lined up perfectly, the ball almost always gets by and rolls to the wall--I've given up 3-4 triples like this in 5 games played.

hiryu2015 said:
The only two close games I've played were decided by walk-offs (the first was described above; I led the second game 3-0 but allowed them to tie in the 8th before they won in the 9th). The rest were CPU blowouts where I gave them one big inning where almost all their runs were scored. I'm getting better but I've noticed the close games as well.

I'm also have trouble with line drives, even if the outfielder is lined up perfectly, the ball almost always gets by and rolls to the wall--I've given up 3-4 triples like this in 5 games played.

Maybe the strange fielding errors (or glitches) are being caused by the analog control? I'm all analog and loving it, but I wonder if this is happening with people who aren't doing analog fielding.

graywolf323

nocode said:
Like the one that lets you pay $1 to fix your RTTS player if he gets injured? That is such complete bullshit. Whats to stop them from causing more injuries than usual just to milk a few bucks from their customers?

I've played three years with my RTTS player and not been injured once *knocks on wood* so I'd say they aren't doing that

CartridgeBlower said:

I've had plenty of blowouts happen in my franchise and no dropped fly balls so dunno

nocode

graywolf323 said:
I've played three years with my RTTS player and not been injured once *knocks on wood* so I'd say they aren't doing that

I've had plenty of blowouts happen in my franchise and no dropped fly balls so dunno
I hope it isn't common to get injured, but you have to admit that it seems like some shady shit right there.

The default Injuries setting for years has been too high. Set that to 3 at the highest.

There is a set of variables (in which Clutch ability plays strongly) that makes up the feared CPU Comeback. Many a OS guy has tried a slider tweak to eliminate it, many have failed. Only thing is to try and contain it...

eznark

Banned
Injuries seem really weird this year, or maybe the Mets are just hyper fragile. I played a game last week online and my opponent had the Mets. THREE pitchers got hurt and had to leave the game. Two within the first three innings.

Anyone have any luck sending/receiving challenges today? I don't get why they are having such problems with that feature. I was able to jump into a random game no problem (and whup up on the Tigers) but for the second weekend in a row was unable to play with friends.

I monkeyed around with batting cameras, Catcher 5 is fantastic. Check it out if you are having trouble hitting. It solves one of my main problems, which is recognizing low pitches.

rockchalk

Neo Member
So I accidentally turned on 3d mode while playing on my non-3d tv...whenever i try to launch the game it says 'mode not available' and shows a blank screen. Is there a way to turn it off without going into the game?

eznark

Banned
rockchalk said:
So I accidentally turned on 3d mode while playing on my non-3d tv...whenever i try to launch the game it says 'mode not available' and shows a blank screen. Is there a way to turn it off without going into the game?
I did the same thing, I went into the ps3 system menu and reran my video settings (I had used it on a 3d tv a few weeks earlier which is why it gave me the option) and that fixed it, the game no longer thought I had a compatible tv.

... Holy crap my copy of MLB 11: The Show was re-mailed to Philly by my bro and just arrived... I'm holding it now!

*deep breath*

Atlanta+Braves+v+New+York+Mets+1uHS1eVKYQnl.jpg

Game on bitches...

GAME ON...

Top Bottom